Two days after learning of hoax, Te’o said girlfriend died of cancer

Discover BCS National Championship - Notre Dame v Alabama Getty Images

And now perhaps we know why linebacker Manti Te’o has chosen to remain silent for now.

Before he speaks, his handlers need to delve into every nook and cranny of every thing that he or someone in his family said about the situation, so that he’ll be ready for the questions he inevitably faces — from whoever asks them.

Here’s a nook and/or cranny that will open up yet another delicate line of questions.  According to WSBT-TV, Te’o made reference to his dead girlfriend two days after the day he supposedly learned of the hoax.

“I don’t like cancer at all. I lost both my grandparents and my girlfriend to cancer,” Te’o said on December 8, while talking to reporters in advance of the Heisman Trophy ceremony.

On Wednesday, Notre Dame Athletic Director Jack Swarbrick said Te’o learned of the hoax on December 6, while he was attending the ESPN college football awards ceremony in Orlando.

Before Te’o speaks, his people need to find every comment that he or anyone in his family has made that will be fodder for interview questions, so that he can be prepared to answer the questions.

This doesn’t mean he’s not telling the truth.  Lawyers routinely prepare witnesses to testify by sharing with them all prior statements that they have made, so that they will be careful to tell a consistent and cohesive story.  Plenty of people who tell the truth will from time to time misspeak.  Good, thorough preparation protects against that.

Even with good preparation, Te’o has to be able to pull it off.  The fact that there’s no indication as to when he’ll be talking suggests that Te’o’s people are concerned that it could be too much for him to juggle verbally and mentally, in an inherently stressful situation.

Permalink 112 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Top Stories
112 Responses to “Two days after learning of hoax, Te’o said girlfriend died of cancer”
  1. lambeauphan says: Jan 17, 2013 5:34 PM

with the 13th pick of the 2013 NFL Draft, the Detroit Lions select…….

2. thesmartest1 says: Jan 17, 2013 5:36 PM

Yeah…ok.

3. fuglyflorio says: Jan 17, 2013 5:37 PM

That’s my story … and I’m sticking to it.

4. keeppounding says: Jan 17, 2013 5:37 PM

Go ahead and say good bye to the early rounds of the draft.

5. John Schwerdt says: Jan 17, 2013 5:38 PM

December 28, right?

6. coltzfan166 says: Jan 17, 2013 5:38 PM

I’m more confused today than yesterday.

7. pastabelly says: Jan 17, 2013 5:38 PM

He has very little credibility. The smartest thing he can do now is shut up.

8. sonoco says: Jan 17, 2013 5:39 PM

So he pulled a Happy Gilmore basically.

9. rculross7 says: Jan 17, 2013 5:39 PM

Can we please stop with all the Manti coverage? Let’s get back to the NFL!

10. skoobyfl says: Jan 17, 2013 5:40 PM

His medical condition cost him million, compulsive lying.

11. originalsteelcurtain says: Jan 17, 2013 5:40 PM

Manti Te’o…welcome to the 3rd round of the 2013 NFL Draft.

12. thegreatgabbert says: Jan 17, 2013 5:41 PM

They told Manti to plead the Fifth. Then held up all the fingers on one hand to make sure he understood.

13. bathmat42 says: Jan 17, 2013 5:42 PM

Think you are a little off. It was 2 days after he became suspicious that there was something amiss. I’m sure it took a few days for it to be real in his head that this was a hoax.

14. djlexluger says: Jan 17, 2013 5:42 PM

This is all a hoax right?

15. drew2k2 says: Jan 17, 2013 5:42 PM

Oh boy…

16. johnnyjagfan says: Jan 17, 2013 5:43 PM

He was so used to playing the part that he couldn’t quit. He was in too deep.

What was he going to do in that TV interview? Announce to the world that it was only his grandparents that died of cancer because the last couple months and that whole “girlfriend is dying” thing is garbage? Say, “It’s not true, someone played a cruel joke on me.”

He was trapped at that point. He’ll pay for it.

17. dezno24 says: Jan 17, 2013 5:43 PM

Just tell the whole truth already and get it over with instead of being handled by your people.

18. m1000be says: Jan 17, 2013 5:45 PM

He would be better off saying it was a joke / prank that got out of hand and he didn’t know how to end it. People would buy that, as he is still young and immature. Trying to wiggle out of this lie is just plain pathetic.

19. dugganmt says: Jan 17, 2013 5:45 PM

Uh oh.

20. sellout1983 says: Jan 17, 2013 5:47 PM

This guy loves hamming it up for the cameras…well, now you have ALL the cameras on you.

21. wwwmattcom says: Jan 17, 2013 5:47 PM

This article was written by a lawyer. ugh

22. socalraider909 says: Jan 17, 2013 5:47 PM

Dude just keep your mouth shut already early third round pick

23. jonevans83 says: Jan 17, 2013 5:47 PM

If faking an imaginary girlfriend is a crime, then half the internet is guilty.

Seriously, if this is national news… society has set the bar at a new low.

24. dtm1088 says: Jan 17, 2013 5:48 PM

I was watching videos of this guy speaking at Notre Dame pep rally’s. He’s thanking everyone for their support and telling everyone how much he loved them. Clearly a compulsive liar. His mannerisms and the way he speaks give it all away.

25. uwsptke says: Jan 17, 2013 5:48 PM

26. jonevans83 says: Jan 17, 2013 5:48 PM

If you are using the argument that “hes manipulated the Heisman race” then you just admitted that you judge a football award based on off the field nonsense.

27. oraloki says: Jan 17, 2013 5:49 PM

What is the big deal? Everyone lies. He didn’t cause any harm. Move on! In case you forgot, there are championship games this weekend.

28. uwsptke says: Jan 17, 2013 5:50 PM

Nevermind, it looks like those comments were made December 8th. But I thought he told Notre Dame about the hoax on December 26th from the earlier reports? Or did he know about it for 20 days before telling Notre Dame.

My head asplode.

29. technovike says: Jan 17, 2013 5:50 PM

Manti hires Armstrong as his agent

30. Distinguished Male says: Jan 17, 2013 5:51 PM

I think we’re at the tipping point. I’ve been riveted by this whole ordeal, as it is definitely one of the craziest things to happen in recent sports history. However, I think we’re at the tipping point of the average fan not giving a care anymore.

Time for this guy to sit down and answer some real questions, or to admit to knowing about the hoax, or to admit to something…anything really. We all know he’s guilty of something, we’re just not sure of what.

Wouldn’t it be an interesting twist if he just flat out disappears? Doesn’t go into the draft, just disappears from the spotlight, never to breathe word of the hoax again? It’d be like Roanoke all over again, we wouldn’t know what happened.

31. vicksprman says: Jan 17, 2013 5:51 PM

Yes let’s all continue to rip apart the life of a 21 year old who made a stupid mistake. But of course nobody in the media did any due diligence on the story like wondering why the fake girlfriends mother or father never spoke to the media. But everybody is all in now trying to find a new angle to report.

32. jhorton83 says: Jan 17, 2013 5:51 PM

Busted. Notre Dame can’t spin their way out of this one, although I’m sure they’ll try. You’d think these excellent “independent investigators” they allegedly hired would have uncovered this discrepancy. I’m sure they were as real as Lennay Kekua.

33. flipola says: Jan 17, 2013 5:52 PM

Two days AFTER? That makes no sense. If that’s true, that’s all the evidence you need.

34. adm350 says: Jan 17, 2013 5:53 PM

Raider, Lion, or Cowboy?! My money is on liars…..I mean lions. ” I didn’t kick his groin or stomp on that guys”….cool, Manti didn’t know anything about the hoax.

35. rickrock6661982 says: Jan 17, 2013 5:53 PM

Why exactly was my comment about Lizzie Seeberg removed?

You don’t find it hypocritical to watch Notre Dame crying over Te’o and not her?

C’mon son..

36. larrybrown43 says: Jan 17, 2013 5:54 PM

The evil here is how neither NBC nor ESPN got this story. Why? Because they’re in bed with Notre Dame. How does it feel to have to turn a blind eye? Media is changing. The Pulitzer Prize winning investigation pieces today come from Deadspin/Gawker, Salon, TMZ, or The National Enquirer. Corporate media. A weapon of mass distraction.

37. schmitty2 says: Jan 17, 2013 5:55 PM

Between this and the Lance Armstrong interview tonight I’ve heard enough lying to last me a lifetime

38. peytonsneck18 says: Jan 17, 2013 5:57 PM

Im confused

39. contra74 says: Jan 17, 2013 5:57 PM

This guy will fall all the way to the Packers in the first round and they will snatch him up. Perfect fit right!? I mean, a delusional player being drafted by a delusional team, its a match made in heaven!

40. bills4 says: Jan 17, 2013 5:58 PM

Thank God he didn’t have a harem of women. Imagine trying to keep that lie going!

41. thefiesty1 says: Jan 17, 2013 5:58 PM

Publicity stunt. Everyone was duped!

42. sdbolt says: Jan 17, 2013 6:00 PM

It’s a lose-lose situation for Teo

43. vanmorrissey says: Jan 17, 2013 6:03 PM

Quick, we need to call in Jim Gray for a Lebron style sitdown (and make sure all proceeds go to B&G’s Clubs)!

44. thegreatsantini56 says: Jan 17, 2013 6:04 PM

I have really tried to not pay attention to this. But perhaps the kid just got totally “hosed” and didn’t want to admit it, feeling embarrassed. Have you ever had that happen to you? I would say you probably have but not on a national stage. Relatively speaking, he seems like an Eagle Scout to me considering all of the other miscreant activity happening in the wide world of sports.

45. archetypeobscure says: Jan 17, 2013 6:05 PM

Couldn’t care less… unless my team drafts him.

46. jrebar88 says: Jan 17, 2013 6:05 PM

This guy loves to be a bigger circus show than tim tebow.

47. boltbacker says: Jan 17, 2013 6:05 PM

This could be a good thing for the kid. His draft status drops. Teams are afraid to be linked to what looks like a moronic loser and then Bill Belichick scoops in and picks him as the last pick in the first round. He still makes first round money, and he plays for a coach who couldn’t care less about what he did in college as long as he gets his act together in the NFL.

48. thegreatsantini56 says: Jan 17, 2013 6:05 PM

Miscreant is the word of the day.

49. steelers88 says: Jan 17, 2013 6:06 PM

Sure she died of Cancer I can’t believe anything he says!

50. Heisenberg says: Jan 17, 2013 6:08 PM

The guy made up a story to impress people. Go into any bar on any given night in any city in America & you’ll see guys doing this stuff to try to get laid. Not to mention all the millionaire playboys with serious MMA skills in internet chat rooms. This’ll pass.

51. dkrauss93 says: Jan 17, 2013 6:09 PM

wow. thats all I can say. I was pulling for him to win the heisman bc hes a defensive player, played on the best team (until the championship game), and was the best player. Now, I’m happy he lost

52. lesterclan says: Jan 17, 2013 6:09 PM

“Mike, I think you need to correct the date. I thought Te’o found out on December 26th, which would mean he made those comments on December 28th, not December 8th.”
    ————————————————–
    No. NOTRE DAME found out it on 12/26…Te’o Ly’o apparently found out 12/6.

53. lesterclan says: Jan 17, 2013 6:11 PM

…of course if you actually read the original Deadspin article, it’s pretty clear Te’o Ly’o was in on it from the beginning. Read the Deadspin article…

54. boondocksaint7 says: Jan 17, 2013 6:14 PM

It’s official, he is screwed!

55. jetsfan79 says: Jan 17, 2013 6:15 PM

This guy has second or third round all over him now, it just depends on which round the jets take him.

56. peopletrains says: Jan 17, 2013 6:17 PM

People need to lay off the KID. He tried to save face and it ended up blowing up on him. We have all looked like an ass at one point or another in our life so have some sympathy. He shouldn’t be thrown to the wolves over this.

57. migs54 says: Jan 17, 2013 6:19 PM

Te’O first “met” girlfriend in 2009 according to South Bend newspaper article in 2009. So he has been putting up a front for his entire college career that allowed him to not have to date women. He always had this girlfriend. Knowing he can’t keep it up heading to the NFL, he makes up that she died to cover his tracks while gaining sympathy and notoriety. This is all to cover up that he most likely is gay and in the closet. NFL players don’t accept openly gay players, they are a target. So this theory makes a lot of sense.

58. kingpel says: Jan 17, 2013 6:20 PM

Once again, I just dont see why this is even a big deal. I could care less. I think people just feel so foolish for gushing over this story in the first place that they need some sort of retribution.

59. stuartscottslazyeyeball says: Jan 17, 2013 6:23 PM

He will get drafted by the Bengals, Lions, or Raiders for sure!

60. nyfcat says: Jan 17, 2013 6:26 PM

Lets call this what it is: GOOD TV.

61. jagerbmb says: Jan 17, 2013 6:27 PM

Stop and ask yourself a couple important questions. 1) Why would a single male that is set to make millions in the NFL, “pretend” to have a girlfriend? 2) Why would he go along with it unless he was hiding something else? 3) What benefit could he get from this farce?

62. sucram619 says: Jan 17, 2013 6:27 PM

they learned it was a hoax on the 26th!! not the 6th!!

63. j0esixpack says: Jan 17, 2013 6:30 PM

It’s possible he thought saying she died might be the least embarrassing way of ending the hoax, even assuming he in fact the victim

64. maybenextyearbrowns says: Jan 17, 2013 6:31 PM

yawn

65. bullcharger says: Jan 17, 2013 6:32 PM

How could so many people have fallen for this nonsense in the first place. He’s never met his girlfriend in person? He’s never seen his girlfrind except in photos? It’s 2013 folks. There is no young person alive that uses a typical phone line… Skype is how he would have communicated for sure. This sounds like a typical compulsive liar I would have run into in grade school that everyone sees right through and ridicules.

66. jrc007 says: Jan 17, 2013 6:33 PM

I don’t know how anyone can form any opinion until they have more facts here. I’m sure there are more comments from him after December 6 but I don’t know what that proves. Much the same way crime victims are told to say certain things in the press to help find the perpetrator, I doubt I would have changed my story until I found out exactly what happened. I love all of you people who pretend that you would have raced out to the cameras as fast as you could to humiliate yourself to a national audience over an Internet girlfriend hoax. ND clearly has information from the investigators they hired that has convinced them to stand behind Teo to the point of Swarbrick crying on national television over Teo being victimized. I’m reserving judgment until I see what’s in their reports and the rest of the evidence, as should everyone. Huffington post was citing tweets from early December from a number of people revealing this as a hoax and implying Teo was duped. He very well might have been in on it but I don’t know how anyone can reach that conclusion at this point. Hating ND is not a basis.

67. stigman2012 says: Jan 17, 2013 6:33 PM

I don’t understand. He found out December 6 this girl didn’t exist. Two days later he still says he lost her to cancer. Really…I don’t understand.

68. migs54 says: Jan 17, 2013 6:34 PM

I feel sorry for Te’O. I hope he doesn’t hurt himself in the end. It has to be hard for a kid who lied to keep himself in the closet, and now has the world beating down his door to vilify him.

69. migs54 says: Jan 17, 2013 6:36 PM

… by the way, ND found out from Te’O on the 26th and Te’O supposedly found out before an awards ceremony on the 6th. Get it straight.

70. benielomax says: Jan 17, 2013 6:36 PM

At best, Ta’o is a serial liar. At worst, he was in on the hoax and exploited it for personal gain.

71. thejuddstir says: Jan 17, 2013 6:40 PM

A new circus act…….there’s only one place for him, Jests!!! Come one come all shouts Woody the Ringleader, see the fat tatted man, the Tebow walk on water, a real live butt-fumbler and the gay who has the pretend girlfriend, the WR who hates his QB, the 27 year old DB who is daddy to dozens, an entire football team without any assistant coaches, one of the greatest 32 jobs in the world that no GM wants, and plenty of other clowns and jesters !!

72. vargavarga says: Jan 17, 2013 6:42 PM

All this nonsence about knowing what he had previously said so he can answer questions to cover his butt. How about comming clean and telling the truth. It’s the most respectable thing he could do at this point.

73. mackcarrington says: Jan 17, 2013 6:43 PM

Now when Tom Brady tells him his girlfriend tastes like a breakfast cereal, he can say “I know you’re lying because she wasn’t real anyway!!!”

74. bster01 says: Jan 17, 2013 6:44 PM

Who cares ? What does this have to do with him being able to make a tackle?

75. cometkazie says: Jan 17, 2013 6:46 PM

This is starting to get a bit boring sitting around speculating what may or may not have happened.

Fantasy is taking over.

76. bangithard says: Jan 17, 2013 6:46 PM

How is this a hoax or catfish if he met Lenmay after a 2009 football game in Stanford?

77. nashz84 says: Jan 17, 2013 6:47 PM

Seriously that’s has turned into a bigger story then anyone has expected it to be,

78. JackAcid says: Jan 17, 2013 6:50 PM

Not that I believe he was duped, allow me to play devil’s advocate:

If he WAS duped and learned of it two days before speaking about it, you have to think sheer embarrassment alone is enough to make him continue to lie about it.

Think about it — it had been a huge news theme for weeks. At that point it would be way too late to stand up and say, “wait, I was duped!”

But again, for the record, I don’t buy the story.

79. bucs4life1014 says: Jan 17, 2013 6:51 PM

Hey I NEVER met you, and this is crazy, but will you be my girlfriend maybe? -Manti Te’o

80. theuglitruth says: Jan 17, 2013 6:52 PM

@Distinguished Male

If you’ve been riveted by this you need to get a life! It’s a whole lot to do about nothing in my book. I think it’s pathetic so much time is being spent on it by everyone.

81. johnclaytonsponytail says: Jan 17, 2013 6:54 PM

Honestly a non story, for an overrated LB.

82. lesterclan says: Jan 17, 2013 6:55 PM

“Who cares ? What does this have to do with him being able to make a tackle?”
    ———————————————-
    Seriously, did you actually WATCH the BCS Championship game? Apparently the only thing he can tackle is an imaginary girlfriend.

83. dallas4life says: Jan 17, 2013 6:56 PM

I can’t understand why anyone even cares about this

84. broncobrewer says: Jan 17, 2013 6:58 PM

The more I read about this story the more I think he was just talking into a turned off phone for hours.

85. jhorton83 says: Jan 17, 2013 6:59 PM

peopletrains says:Jan 17, 2013 6:17 PM

—————————————————————————

People will lay off when he stops lying. Instead of coming clean, he’s making an absurd attempt to paint himself as the victim when that’s clearly patently false. People don’t like liars (Manti Te’o) and institutions that cover for liars (Notre Dame).

86. kate773 says: Jan 17, 2013 7:04 PM

I don’t get this “nothing to see here” attitude some of you are sporting. This is a big deal whether you like it or not. This guy may have made up a hoax to get the entire nation to feel sorry him, all for personal gain and you dont understand why its a story? If you’re sick of the coverage and don’t want to hear anymore or just don’t understand the fuss, I suggest you turn off your tv’s and stop surfing the web because there is a ton of interest in this crazy story. Otherwise you’re going to be miserable for quite a while.

87. jimmysee says: Jan 17, 2013 7:12 PM

The guy was embarrassed and deserves a little slack.

88. theuglitruth says: Jan 17, 2013 7:14 PM

It’s only a big deal if he can’t shed a block and cover the field side line to side line. Outside of that…it’s hair salon gossip that is a perfect story for a show like The View.

89. Spencer says: Jan 17, 2013 7:20 PM

He lied. He needs to admit it, apologize, and move on with his life.

90. herbertjablonski says: Jan 17, 2013 7:20 PM

Is there a Manti Te’o Hoax timeline out there somewhere I can use to keep track? this is like watching the tv show LOST.

91. rhinojr says: Jan 17, 2013 7:26 PM

“It’s not a lie, if you believe it”

– George Costanza

92. amosalanzostagg says: Jan 17, 2013 7:35 PM

Next year in the NFL is going to be great for football
    fans. You think NFL will Taunt and ridicule Te’o?

Na……

Tongue firmly in cheek.

93. Deb says: Jan 17, 2013 7:42 PM

CBS did a big story on his “tragedy” the week of the championship game. That was a month after he supposedly learned of the hoax and nearly two weeks after he told Notre Dame about it. But they let the public go right on believing the sob story.

But AD Swarbrick says this is why Te’o was outplayed during Notre Dame’s drubbing by the Tide. At this point, I wouldn’t believe either Te’o or Notre Dame if they said water is wet.

94. bigdawgdaddy says: Jan 17, 2013 7:43 PM

42-14
    ROLL TIDE
    the SEC….REAL football & REAL girlfriends

95. hearsky says: Jan 17, 2013 7:48 PM

The Catholic church has a lot of experience with covering up the truth.

96. anonymouslyanonymouscommentor says: Jan 17, 2013 8:08 PM

—————————-

Ummm…because it propelled him into the Heisman race which propelled his draft stock which propelled his projected earnings?

97. hendeeze says: Jan 17, 2013 9:03 PM

Not much difference in Tebow’s act than with Te’o’s. Both trying to garner sympathy. Both believe in invisible people

98. lesterclan says: Jan 17, 2013 9:27 PM

—————————-

And don’t forget the most important question…
    Who ordered the Code Red?!!!?

99. Bart says: Jan 17, 2013 9:46 PM

Chris Mortensen is reporting that Lennay Kekua has recently been seen at various night clubs on the arm of George Glass.

When reached for comment, Jan Brady neither confirmed nor denied allegations that Lennay and George have been dating.

100. 80wise says: Jan 17, 2013 9:56 PM

Sounds like To’d could use some “Oprah” time.

101. sdl65 says: Jan 17, 2013 9:59 PM

He’s lying or he’s just stupid. Either way it don’t look good for him.

102. geofferystevens says: Jan 17, 2013 11:19 PM

A good Catholic institution such as Notre Dame would never lie to cover something up…..

103. mazblast says: Jan 17, 2013 11:34 PM

sdl65 says:

He’s lying or he’s just stupid. Either way it don’t look good for him.
    —————————-
    Could be both. He may be lying AND stupid.

104. forever9ers says: Jan 18, 2013 2:01 AM

The whole thing’s got more holes than the GB Packers defense against Kaepernick.

105. florida727 says: Jan 18, 2013 10:38 AM

The Alabama game sent him from the 1st round to the 3rd or 4th round of the draft. This thing sent him straight into free agency.

106. woodyc says: Jan 18, 2013 10:47 AM

In related news, Alabama runnings backs state that they now doubt the existance of Manti Te’o. Anyway, let’s just hope that he gets over the make believe pain he felt when his make believe girlfriend died from make believe cancer.

107. lrg51 says: Jan 18, 2013 11:30 AM

Te’o has some ‘splaning to do. I’m curious what his answer will be.

I think this will be one of those “life lessons” for a young man with a pro football future ahead of him. His public image took a hit. We’ll see how he reacts very soon. ND has some stake in this too… standing with their athlete and team captain.

I guess if I were in a similar situation and it cost me $$ (NFL draft value), I’d probably sue the bastard/bitch who did this. Although he is not regarded in NFL quarters with great athletic talent… rather a player with a great attitude who can make a significant contribution on defense… I’m hearing that his NFL stock will take a hit. That translates into lost $$$ value.

We’ll see.

108. mazblast says: Jan 18, 2013 12:38 PM

lrg51 says: Jan 18, 2013 11:30 AM

Te’o has some ‘splaning to do. I’m curious what his answer will be.

———————————–
    Suing someone would be a terrible move. Remember, when you sue someone, everything you have, everything you’ve said, everything you’ve done is subject to “discovery”. Everything. Do you really think Te’uh-oh wants EVERYTHING to come out, so to speak?

109. fupduk2 says: Jan 18, 2013 12:56 PM

Manti to Main Stream Media…”Bazinga”.

Maybe they should do some fact checking before they run with it. I don’t feel for anyone involved.

110. lrg51 says: Jan 18, 2013 1:39 PM

Heard on late TV…

Manti Te’o girlfriend may be the biggest hoax since Notre Dame was ranked #1 in college football.

LOL!!!

111. nananatman says: Jan 18, 2013 1:44 PM

Or the police had been notified and they had instructed “Capt. Muscle-head” to continue the hoax in an effort to draw out the perp.

112. Iraelite says: Jan 18, 2013 7:00 PM

“We are happy to have Manti aboard… we think that he is the missing piece we needed to make some noise in the playoffs” – Jerry Jones after trading up to get Te’o with the 5th overall pick.