Bears announce Mel Tucker is their new defensive coordinator

Mel Tucker AP

New Bears coach Marc Trestman has his defensive coordinator: Mel Tucker.

Tucker, who coordinated the Jaguars’ defense for the last four years, was hired by the Bears on Friday, the team has announced.

It is not clear what the hiring of Tucker means for Raheem Morris, who was expected to interview with the Bears on Saturday. It’s possible that Morris will still interview for another spot on the Bears’ staff, or that the Bears have decided to call off the interview with Morris.

Tucker was the Jaguars’ interim head coach at the end of the 2011 season, and he interviewed for their head-coaching vacancy this week. He missed out on that job, but he now has found work in Chicago.

Permalink 51 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Chicago Bears, Jacksonville Jaguars, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
51 Responses to “Bears announce Mel Tucker is their new defensive coordinator”
  1. dalucks says: Jan 18, 2013 6:55 PM

Congratulations to Mel Tucker. This is a good hire.

2. stoolerz says: Jan 18, 2013 6:58 PM

If I were the Bears, I think I would rather have Morris. Considering the stellar defense the Jags put up last year.

3. str8infamous says: Jan 18, 2013 6:59 PM

Dumbfounded!!!! I would have signed Raheem over Tucker. Those 2yrs as HC in Tampa showed promise, plus he was also the DC which turned out 2 be his downfall wearing two hats. TB couldn’t defend the run but the secondary were ball hawks given the lack of talent he had on defense. If the Glazers spent some money under his tenure he’d still be the HC.

4. countduku says: Jan 18, 2013 7:00 PM

So we’ve just gone from having the 5th ranked overall defense, (3rd in pts. against), to a coordinator who had his defense ranked 30th in the league in almost all categories…..Brilliant move Mr. Emery, why didn’t i think of that. At least we are going to “fix” our top player (QB), when it was really just the offensive line (ranked last) that needed the help. What is it here that I just am not getting? I am not even laughing anymore.

5. barneysbullet says: Jan 18, 2013 7:01 PM

Wow…this year’s gonna have a different feel/look to it.

6. whitecastleisafoodgroup says: Jan 18, 2013 7:01 PM

Welcome to Chicago Mel!

7. evoxy says: Jan 18, 2013 7:02 PM

If he was able to produce a top ten defense in Jacksonville, I can only imagine what he can do in Chicago. Seems like a great hire.

8. larryboodry says: Jan 18, 2013 7:04 PM

Sigh of relief it won’t be Morris, after reading all the negative comments on the other Morris thread…Now I gotta research Tucker a little bit.

9. theclaim says: Jan 18, 2013 7:05 PM

Stay in DC Raheem. You are wanted there.

10. damadgreek says: Jan 18, 2013 7:07 PM

I like it…Marinelli was a good coach–disappointing that he left for cowboys.

11. rollteal says: Jan 18, 2013 7:07 PM

Tuck will be a nice Addition for the Bears Defense I wish him the best.

12. hawksandsawx says: Jan 18, 2013 7:09 PM

Tough not to like this. Runs a 4-3, has experience, will command respect from the veteran D without shaking things up too much. I like the way things are shaping up

13. johnnyjagfan says: Jan 18, 2013 7:18 PM

Great guy. Made Jags proud. Decimated by injuries last couple years-wont ever really know how his scheme may have worked. Best wishes

14. shinnbone says: Jan 18, 2013 7:33 PM

As a Packers fan I tip my cap to the Bears on another great hire this week…. ;-) who’s next Dave Wannstedt ?

15. beedubyatoo says: Jan 18, 2013 7:36 PM

The hated Packers scored 55 against Tucker’s Jag’s defense.

16. bearsfanthruthicknthin says: Jan 18, 2013 7:37 PM

The bears are still gonna have the same defensive players. It’s not like he’s gonna tank our defense. Our defense will still be too ten….

17. bigjayler says: Jan 18, 2013 7:40 PM

Good hire, was hoping he’d come back home to Cleveland. Good move,Chitown

18. hialeahman1 says: Jan 18, 2013 7:49 PM

They also hired Jets QB coach and Cowboys RB coach. Train wreck waiting to happen

19. dontstabmeray says: Jan 18, 2013 7:49 PM

They should have just hired Mel Torme….at least Judge Harry T. Stone would have approved.

20. packfaninchitown says: Jan 18, 2013 7:49 PM

Didn’t Tucker just get fired from the Jags for having a really bad defense? I’m not seeing this one but as a Packer fan I’m lovin it.

21. firestarter0728 says: Jan 18, 2013 8:06 PM

REALLY love this hire…our team will now dominate this division for years to come.

Signed,

Packer Nation

22. larryboodry says: Jan 18, 2013 8:11 PM

Not sure about this one, although Morris would have been bad…Tucker had the Jags’ D ranked 6th. in ’11 (if I remember correctly) so I am curious to see what he will do in Chicago with superior talent.

23. maddenisfordorks says: Jan 18, 2013 8:12 PM

Tucker is a good coach. He’ll do bear fans proud.

Jags had ZERO talent … And a blind GM who drafted punters.

24. monsters3493 says: Jan 18, 2013 8:21 PM

Tucker’s defense ranked in the nfl during his tenure and with the jags d ranked 6th in 2011. When you have a team with a terrible offense the defense will be on the field allot more. You can’t look at one year and make assumptions about the guy

25. ruthlssjag says: Jan 18, 2013 8:42 PM

Message to ALL Browns fans:

Mel Tucker is the guy you want to be running your defense. He’s “very laid back, but will get in your face & sit your ass down if you mess up every now & then” type of coach. Don’t listen to all these haters on here, listen to a die-hard Jags fan. Yeah, we were ranked extremely low in the statistic column, but that doesn’t tell the whole story. We endured injuries, most notably to our best LB Daryl Smith, not to mention his replacement sucked ass, LB Kyle BOSworth (please don’t get that twisted). Our #1 corner Derek Cox was also injured & out a few games along with Rashean Mathis, & Aaron Ross couldn’t cover anyone if his life counted on it (he’ll be cut by day 1). Otherwise, the guys love playing for him, & more importantly he brings simplicity to your defense, but it works. Ask our #6 ranked defense the year before how that felt. However, the team in a general sense was bad overall, & I admit, newly signed HC Gus Bradley has his hands full, this team needs a revamp & I wouldn’t doubt 20+ new faces next year. With “your” personnel in tact, I’d fear playing against you guys in the coming years.. Good Luck anyways!!

Coach Tucker, you will be missed down here in DuuuVaaaal.. Good luck in your new gig with Cleveland, Lord knows they have the talent on that side of the ball we lacked.. Much love to you & your family!!

26. cobibones13 says: Jan 18, 2013 8:43 PM

beedubyatoo says:
    Jan 18, 2013 7:36 PM
    The hated Packers scored 55 against Tucker’s Jag’s defense.

—————-

The Jags gave up 24 points to the Packers this year.

27. invisiblestarv says: Jan 18, 2013 8:49 PM

Mel Tucker is well respected in Jacksonville. 2012 defense was injured and tired by 2nd- 3rd qtr ( offense can’t stay on the field).

beedubyatoo says:
    Jan 18, 2013 7:36 PM
    The hated Packers scored 55 against Tucker’s Jag’s defense.

score was 24-15 if I am not mistaking:) And Great Packers offense generated whooping 238 yard vs Jags

28. ruthlssjag says: Jan 18, 2013 8:52 PM

whoops total mess up.. I meant Chi-town.. WOW I screwed that one up, but whatever…
    Coach Tucker will still have you guys playing hardcore football like you have in recent years, perhaps better?

-I knew something didn’t feel right when I said Browns fans, anyways now it ALL makes sense.
    Good Luck to Bears Nation, my bad again!!

29. ohiobears says: Jan 18, 2013 9:04 PM

damadgreek says:Jan 18, 2013 7:07 PM

I like it…Marinelli was a good coach–disappointing that he left for cowboys.

———————————————————-

Agreed. REALLY bummed Marinelli left. I knew we weren’t going to get Cowher. Only time will tell on the Canadian. Only thing I had left to hang my hat on was Marinelli. Man I hope this works out….

30. xerocc says: Jan 18, 2013 9:08 PM

Congrats Packer fans

31. larryboodry says: Jan 18, 2013 9:16 PM

@ruthlssjag:

As a BEARS fan – lol – I thank you that great post…Good luck to the Jags as well!

32. ybunthitjacks says: Jan 18, 2013 9:23 PM

@ruthlssjag

As a Browns I am much more happy with Ray Horton. For that matter I am much more happy with Chudzinski / Turner over Trestmen & Co

33. murty77 says: Jan 18, 2013 9:37 PM

People who are hating on this hire obviously know nothing about him. Tucker is an awesome coach and I couldn’t be happier to welcome him to Chicago!

34. enrifer says: Jan 18, 2013 9:44 PM

Should of kept Marinelli why fix what’s not broken…instead you guys let him walk to be a position coach with the Cowboys….doesn’t make sense.

35. burgandy2260 says: Jan 18, 2013 9:53 PM

Are we done with the TAMPA 2?

36. 3sweetness4 says: Jan 18, 2013 10:00 PM

I was hoping for Romeo Crennel due to his familiarity with 4-3 and the 3-4, but this is a good hire nonetheless.

37. wwwfugu says: Jan 18, 2013 10:15 PM

Horrible move.

38. azbearsfan says: Jan 18, 2013 10:34 PM

Bears is going on a run. Cards is coming up too.

39. blackandbluedivision says: Jan 18, 2013 10:37 PM

beedubyatoo says:
    Jan 18, 2013 7:36 PM
    The hated Packers scored 55 against Tucker’s Jag’s defense.
    ____________________

Packers offense only scored 14 and 1 defensive touchdown.

40. coolj23 says: Jan 18, 2013 10:38 PM

Packers fans you should be very worried right now.

41. sdisme says: Jan 18, 2013 11:32 PM

This might be a good idea if Jack Del Rio or Romeo Crennel is coming with him.

But if he is the DC without one of them looking over his shoulder we may see one of the most interesting Bear seasons ever.

42. asublimeday says: Jan 19, 2013 12:20 AM

Signed,

Packer Nation
    ——–

Even if they do, looks like Colin just scored ANOTHER touchdown against you guys! What a joke the Packers are.

43. bearfan1957 says: Jan 19, 2013 12:22 AM

To ruthlssjag

Good come back, alot of info about the Browns though. Anyhow what r drinking tonight?

44. bearfan1957 says: Jan 19, 2013 12:31 AM

Packer Nation? Why are they on Bears info sites and not reading about their own Dc? Wait a minute, Mathews got pancaked again, and oh no he looks like a pin ball after Colin scores. GB DC needs some help too, ya think?

45. hawksandsawx says: Jan 19, 2013 3:53 AM

People that comment on where a coach was before are idiots. Belichick was the Brown’s head coach and not a very good one. He does ok now I think. Stop being so narrow minded

46. chi01town says: Jan 19, 2013 11:46 AM

what is wrong with these packers fans. the coach on defense makes
    no differents… the packers offense will have to play the CHICAGO BEARS DEFENSE.. not the jags. the jags coach came to Chicago NOT the jags players. Chicago has a pro bowl defense Peppers, Briggs, Tilman, Urlacher, and 4 or 5 more.
    these players make coaches look good

47. larryboodry says: Jan 19, 2013 1:41 PM

Memo to Packer Nation whining about Capers…Looks like Raheem Morris is still available, and his Saturday calender is suddenly free again.

48. randolph32 says: Jan 19, 2013 4:43 PM

Hey MEATBALLS hammering on Jax’s Defense this year, LOOK AT THEIR ROSTER!!! It was pitiful!

Rant over, thanks….

49. staffordsyear says: Jan 20, 2013 1:02 AM

Should have kept marinelli.

50. kevcanx says: Jan 20, 2013 1:03 PM

Michael Sinclair Asst Def Line coach, the Bears will be just fine, except now more intense.

51. larryboodry says: Jan 20, 2013 6:38 PM

To those of you saying the Bears shoulda kept Marinelli, they wanted to…Marinelli chose to go to Dallas and coach for his NEW boyfriend, now that Lovie doesn’t have a gig.