Chip Kelly, Mike Vick meet, no resolution imminent

Vick Getty Images

On the second day of his employment as coach of the Eagles, Chip Kelly addressed the first challenge he’ll face from a personnel standpoint.

Per a source with knowledge of the situation, Kelly and Vick met on Friday.  However, there has been no resolution regarding Vick’s status with the team, and no answer is expected in the immediate future.

A decision needs to be made, sooner than later.  On February 6, $3 million of Vick’s $15.5 million base salary becomes fully guaranteed.  Presumably, the Eagles won’t be inclined to guarantee that payment if they plan to eventually cut or trade him.

That said, they can’t trade Vick until March 12, when the next league year opens.  If the Eagles think they can shift the guaranteed $3 million and the other $12.5 million to another team via trade, maybe they’ll try.

Still, unless the Eagles are going to pay part of that salary or Vick will reduce it, a trade becomes difficult to accomplish.

In the end, there’s still a chance that Vick softens on his reported unwillingness to reduce his pay to stay in Philly, given that Chip Kelly is the new head coach.  Either way, we’ll know more within three weeks.

Permalink 64 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
64 Responses to “Chip Kelly, Mike Vick meet, no resolution imminent”
  1. eagleaniac says: Jan 18, 2013 5:52 PM

Mike Vick was a warrior while he was here. No one has ever taken that kind of a beating and still gotten back up to play the best that he could. Our thanks to him. That being said it is time for him to move on. Best of luck!

2. bobonmycob says: Jan 18, 2013 5:52 PM

Vick…. just go…. go away.. long and far away… even if its just a state over to the Jets.

3. trojan33sc says: Jan 18, 2013 5:54 PM

Unless Kelly can fix that o-line immediately Vick’s abilities just won’t matter !

4. thetooloftools says: Jan 18, 2013 5:54 PM

Vick won’t stick. He wants paid and will not move off that and will be cut. Why pay him when he’s going to demand the rest of the $12.5 million and teams won’t even take him for that much?

5. dalucks says: Jan 18, 2013 5:56 PM

I think when players holdout that they should honor their contract so owners should honor the same contract that both people agreed upon.
    How about a policy where if a team does not make the playoffs for 3 straight seasons then they have to reduce their ticket prices by 10%? If it reaches 5 straight seasons then the tickets should drop 15%.
    The fans deserve better.

6. vcstriker16 says: Jan 18, 2013 5:56 PM

There may be a few other landing spots where he could be the starter, but I assume he’ll come to the realization that Philly still may be the best place for him given the new coaching staff.

A reduced salary in Philly still has to be as good if not better than what he’ll make on the open market.

7. icdogg says: Jan 18, 2013 5:56 PM

If Vick is still an Eagle after then, I’ll be stunned.

8. footballfan84 says: Jan 18, 2013 5:57 PM

I dont believe I’m about to say this but, I think Mike is the right fit for Philly in Chip Kelly’s system. Keep Vick.

9. greymares says: Jan 18, 2013 6:00 PM

Kelly said the main part of quarterback play is to be quick thinking. let him go.

10. fanofevilempire says: Jan 18, 2013 6:01 PM

I hope he gets paid either way, he took a lot of hits for Philly last year.

11. mthoover says: Jan 18, 2013 6:01 PM

Did Mike smoke any pot before het met Coach Kelly, like he does before team meetings?

12. buddybowl69 says: Jan 18, 2013 6:05 PM

Trade Vick to the Jets for Tebow and a 3rd round draft pick. Now that Marty is OC of the Jets, and is rumored that he wants Vick, this might just happen.

13. omniscient48 says: Jan 18, 2013 6:05 PM

In my opinion, Vick’s only chance to prolong his career is to take a pay cut and be rejuvenated by Kelly’s offensive genius.

14. kheebner says: Jan 18, 2013 6:09 PM

Please Chip, just get rid of him. All he does is turn the ball over and get hurt.

15. trevor123698 says: Jan 18, 2013 6:15 PM

IMO their hands are tied. You have to release him even if you want to bring him back. Just get him under something like a 5-9 million dollar contract after they release him

16. doe22us says: Jan 18, 2013 6:26 PM

He is as good as gone, i frankly dont remember the last time he played a full season.

17. chattanola says: Jan 18, 2013 6:26 PM

I’ll guess that Michael would rather take his chances as the starter somewhere else. He’ll try to hang on to as much of his contract money as he can, but with the changes at the coaching level, he’s gotta know that he won’t be in Philly next year.

Hope he gets good trade offers but, plenty of teams that would love to have a QB with the talent of Michael Vick would rather not have the baggage that comes with him (the annual injury, the reckless playing).

18. mikebrownfaux says: Jan 18, 2013 6:33 PM

I’m not fully believing Michael Vick is done. He had an off year, with a HORRIBLE offensive line. Give the man a good front 5 and if he still does bad, then I’ll say he’s done. Until then, I believe he’s a starting QB in the NFL, with the ability to not only throw the ball with more zing then most, but move around when the situation calls for it.

19. fuglyflorio says: Jan 18, 2013 6:39 PM

Too early to talk Superbowl ?

20. wayne1693 says: Jan 18, 2013 6:45 PM

Chip Kelly may be MV’s last, best chance to get another chance to be a successful NFL starting QB. He should gamble on himself this time around, & reduce his salary to something the team can swallow. MV…don’t let ego overwhelm your intelligence!

21. 1chilla says: Jan 18, 2013 6:57 PM

Vick will be the starter when season start kelly will run the type of offense that will fit vick style the eagled will be okay

22. jprcox says: Jan 18, 2013 7:05 PM

Vick is just dumb if he doesn’t agree to a pay cut. No other team will (a) give him nearly the money he wants, and (b) promise him the starting position.

I agree Eagles line was bad last year, but look at what Luck did with even a worse line. Also, I would have thought Vick the better of those 2 behind a bad line.

Vick just really needs to focus on his game – somewhere else.

23. ace8842 says: Jan 18, 2013 7:06 PM

Vick isn’t the right fit for any system. He is turnover prone, which Kelly’s QB’s have not been at Oregon. He can’t run like he used to and he is fragile…he has a concussion history that any team should be worried about. His grit was remarkable in Philly, but his play and mental ability was not.

24. harrisonhits2 says: Jan 18, 2013 7:08 PM

“dalucks says:
    Jan 18, 2013 5:56 PM
    Fans do not have the options to restructure our ticket prices when we watch these teams every year.”

The problem is the players often get huge up front payments in the form of signing bonuses. If they get cut for sucking it up or for having a contract that will no longer work for the team they don’t have to return any of that up front money.

The players want everything. They want the up front money and if they “overperform” they want to be paid incentives, but they don’t want to accept any reductions if they underperform.

I think the system is fine as is. I also think guaranteed contracts would destroy the sport like they did major league baseball. I haven’t watched baseball in probably 25 years because I got so damn tired of players getting huge guaranteed contracts and then sucking like a black hole for the term of those contacts.

These players are overpaid as it is, lets not make it any easier for them to not care once they’ve been paid the big money.

25. scrp2 says: Jan 18, 2013 7:08 PM

Here’s a transcript of the conversation:

Vick: If it don’t make dollaz it don’t make sense.

Kelly: We are in full agreement on that.

26. lonespeed says: Jan 18, 2013 7:12 PM

Vick has had good years and terrible years…it’s quite possible he has another good one in him. Besides isn’t he, McCoy, and Jackson perfect fits for that offense? The offense doesn’t have a chance in my opinion…but they seem like the right personnel.

27. flavordave says: Jan 18, 2013 7:19 PM

Vick asked Kelly what Notre Dames like.

28. haterswelcomed says: Jan 18, 2013 7:21 PM

Here a Pick, there a Pick, every where a Vick Pick!

29. csilojohnson says: Jan 18, 2013 7:28 PM

Vick sucks, couldve told them that two years ago. Saved them a lot of money. Ill be expecting a job offer.

30. captainwisdom8888 says: Jan 18, 2013 7:33 PM

I’d like to buck the trend of ungratefulness displayed by the majority of Philly fans towards QBs like McNabb and Vick…by saying THANK YOU to both of them. The world will never be in short supply of haters…neither will Philly.

31. Cereal says: Jan 18, 2013 8:08 PM

Left handed QB’s < a scarecrow

32. dretwann says: Jan 18, 2013 8:09 PM

daluk said:

I couldn’t agree more. Why should owners be able to walk away from the contract yet hold the players feet to the fire? Seems reasonable that they have to honor the contract too.

33. usg1 says: Jan 18, 2013 8:34 PM

He isn’t sticking around unless he takes a huge pay cut and even then I don’t think it happens. The only thing that he has that works in the Chip Kelly system is mobility and even that isn’t what it used to be……

The Eagles are about 16 million OVER the cap for 2013, but they will get to carry over the 20 million they were under the cap for this year, so they will be 4 million under the cap to spend on possibly resigning free agents (DRC?), signing new players (new system, new players), and signing their draft picks. Vick’s cap hit for next year will be at 18 million (I believe it is the 2nd highest of all QBs). If they cut him before, I think Feb 4th, they save about 13 million in cap.

34. djjackson81 says: Jan 18, 2013 8:44 PM

Trade him to the Dodgers

35. rhinojr says: Jan 18, 2013 8:51 PM

Seriously, who wants M Vick as their quarterback?

He has nowhere to go in the NFL

36. mojosmagic says: Jan 18, 2013 8:59 PM

Kelly at his presser said his QB’s must be durable, and not turn the ball over. I wish Mike all the luck in the world on his new team.

37. dirtysouthniner says: Jan 18, 2013 9:26 PM

Sometimes I dream,that he is me ,got to see it how I dream to be ,wait wrong mike,my bad…. Go to Cleveland, you will have better success with that dog pound..Nevermind

38. benroethlisberger7 says: Jan 18, 2013 9:31 PM

Dream Team?

39. skinsgal4life says: Jan 18, 2013 9:32 PM

I can’t stand Vick, and I hope his “career” is over. He certainly had a few great games, but overall, I don’t see how anyone can say he’s been a consistent, reliable QB.

40. fanz928 says: Jan 18, 2013 9:36 PM

Before firing Vick how about dismissing the whole eagles o line

41. whatjusthapped says: Jan 18, 2013 9:53 PM

Kelly owns a family dog so maybe he was just asking Vick for tips on how to keep them in line.

42. Land Snark says: Jan 18, 2013 10:01 PM

Kick him to the curb with malice.

43. chaseutley says: Jan 18, 2013 10:06 PM

Is Vince Young completely black listed at this point?

44. tigrrrr says: Jan 18, 2013 10:08 PM

Excellent, vick in philly! :)
    Please stay!!
    Muuuuaaaahhhhh

45. abninf says: Jan 18, 2013 10:16 PM

eagleaniac says:

===================================

Tony Romo led his team to a win with a broken rib and punctured lung. And our warriors are in the military.

46. thetdking says: Jan 18, 2013 10:26 PM

Kelly said the most important quality for his QB is a good decision maker, that pretty much eliminates Vick from the equation.

47. bagpipes5 says: Jan 18, 2013 10:27 PM

Mike Vick still has the skill set to be a very good NFL QB but make no mistake he has lost a step or 2 from his peak years. The one crucial aspect that is really going to be a problem is Vick’s failure to master an offsense and read defenses and absolute must in Chip Kelly’s system.

I could see him on the NYJets and if they allow him to be Mike Vick he will be a productive player.

48. pettytom says: Jan 18, 2013 10:27 PM

I really just don’t see Kelly’s system working in the NFL. Oregon only looked good when they played teams that had subpar athlete’s. When they played teams that had athlete’s that were on the same level they were dominated ala Auburn, LSU, Stanford. He’s going to find out that the NFL is full of guys that can run 4.3, 4.4, or 4.5 and they aren’t all on his team this time.

49. wwwfugu says: Jan 18, 2013 10:35 PM

Wah, wah, wah.

50. onegiantloss says: Jan 18, 2013 10:46 PM

Vick CANNOT run the “read-option” offense for the simple fact that he CANNOT read a defense, decide on best option, and convert, all while standing behind a shaky o-line. He’s just not smart enough. He’s one of the, if not the, best athletes to ever play the game but lacks the intelligence.

51. mungman69 says: Jan 18, 2013 10:53 PM

He’s a goner.

52. hor2012 says: Jan 18, 2013 11:22 PM

This is just a guess. And, I’m pretty sure I’m lost my mind but I betting he stays in philly and they give him his salary. They trade nick foles and Kelly upgrades the O line.

53. cpo187 says: Jan 19, 2013 12:23 AM

Vick is the sensible choice in Philly.

I just can’t envision how Nick Foles fits in a Chip Kelly style offense. The guy runs a 6.8 forty.

54. phillyphannn83 says: Jan 19, 2013 12:42 AM

First, I want to make this perfectly clear…my opinion(not that matters but hey, neither do any of yours) is that Vick should go. Not because of performance but strictly salary cap. He costs us 2-3 decent players and THAT is what he is not worth. He is still a very good QB. No one could have been successful when you combined Andy and Marty’s NFL-worst play-calling/game-management with the injuries to our O-line…NO ONE! To that point, I believe in Nick Foles. So I’d be OK with Vick going, especially considering the salary cap savings. On the flip side, if Vick stays, I DO like the idea that he is left handed and the left side of our line is the strong side when you include Peters(who by all accounts will play in 2013). The idea of an option-read offense rolling out to our strong side with Shady behind Vick is very very dangerous. Now, before you respond and criticize me, go back and re-read my first sentence again.

55. slick3 says: Jan 19, 2013 12:54 AM

mikebrownfaux says:
    Jan 18, 2013 6:33 PM

———————————————————–
    That’s one of his problems. Too much “zing” on a flat trajectory. No loft. The next time he throws a fade will be his first time.

56. phillyfanmatt says: Jan 19, 2013 1:20 AM

The oline will be upgraded with the return to health of the starters that were all injured. And mike Vick is not smart enough or does not make good enough decisions to play in a chip Kelly offense. And if any one of you heard the press conference chip said he will design an offense to fit the skill set of his players not try to fit the players into an offense. So what skills he thinks nick has is what kind of system he will run. We will not see the Oregon offense in the nfl. Just the up tempo style you know the similar style that the pats learned from chip and placed into their system. That’s the kind of thing we will see here is Philly.

57. flyeaglesfly777 says: Jan 19, 2013 2:23 AM

Ok so lets look at the facts. Chip Kelly met with Vick first. That says something in itself. So he either said I want you to be part of the future or I don’t. No reason to tell him he doesn’t on his first real day. So he wants Vick. Everyone can say what they want but the Philadelphia eagles problems can not be all put on Vick. He had a bad 2012 but name what eagle didn’t. The year before that he lead an offsense with the 4 th most yards of the whole nfl with a disgrace of a defense. The year before that he was second in MVP voting to tom Brady so that’s an amazing year. Even in his bad year he did something that Peyton manning couldn’t do. Beat the ravens. Vick got the ball with 2 minutes and scored. Peyton had three attempts and lost. Just cause they let Vick get killed all season with that oline ,which will return to form when 4 of their 5 starters come back from the IR next year, doesnt mesan he loat the job. How could the job not be his?

58. dixonorifice says: Jan 19, 2013 9:23 AM

GET RID OF HIM!

Vick is old, injury prone, and a turnover machine.

59. stillers7 says: Jan 19, 2013 9:30 AM

“Coach, I’d like you to meet Coach Killer”

60. chiefnofoldem says: Jan 19, 2013 11:28 AM

I reallyneed someone to explain to why people think Mike Vick is anything special? I do not get it! The Eagles Offensive Line was poor but alot of those hits were on Vick because he could not read the defense or simply was holding onto the ball to long. You never seen him audible out of a play based on what the defense is showing. He is a poor decision maker, he is a turnover machine, and he is does not have the speed any more. He also says the dumbest things as well like “dynasty.”

I have no idea if Foles can play or not. To be honest I am not sure if anyone does. There really is not much in free agency and from what I am hearing this is not a great QB draft. Bottom line is that you ride Foles for one year and Kelly can adapt his system to fit Foles. If you find out if Foles can play then your good. If not then you might have the first pick in the draft next year so draft a QB. The Eagles should spend their time this off season rebuilding a defense that is the worst Eagles defense in the last 30 years.

61. phillyphan72 says: Jan 19, 2013 4:47 PM

Time to start taking out the Trash Chip!

62. jmt8251 says: Jan 19, 2013 7:01 PM

@phillyphan72 the only trash in Philly is ignorant fools like you that think because you watch a game on tv you have the right to call people names. I do understand why your city can’t win a championship in anything. Its not the players but the fools who can barely afford a ticket to a game or the cable station to watch it that who complain the most. Whatever Vick does he gave his all to this team when the line decided they did not want to block or could not block people like Demetrius Bell who made over 8 million dollars this past season nobody has a problem with that or Danny Watkins who has been a bust since he got there but that’s okay with you fools.

63. eatitfanboy says: Jan 20, 2013 10:19 PM

Can we set aside the notion that Mike Vick, Version 2013, is the “perfect QB” for Kelly’s system?

Kelly’s system is no place for a brittle, over 30 QB who has found it virtually impossible to stay healthy.

People need to stop thinking about the MV who played in Atlanta in the early 90′s.

64. johnnieboy39 says: Jan 23, 2013 1:50 AM

I think they need to keep Vick for another year. Need to see how he will adapt to the Kelly style of coaching.