Falcons kicker Matt Bryant can speak to alligators, sort of

Divisional Playoffs - Seattle Seahawks v Atlanta Falcons Getty Images

When his football career is finally over Atlanta Falcons kicker Matt Bryant might be able to find a role on the television show Swamp People.

According to Jim Corbett of the USA Today, Bryant is somewhat of an “alligator whisperer.”

I was watching the National Geographic Channel one day, and heard them mimicking the mating sound that brings an alligator,” Bryant said. “So I figured I’d try and mimic the sound. Sure enough, a baby alligator came up from a retention pond behind our Tampa home.”

Bryant has taken the talent to the golf course on multiple occasions to impress, or scare the hell out of, members of his foursome. However, while on a golfing trip to Cancun, Bryant got a little more than he bargained for.

“We were in Cancun for an event and were playing golf when we heard something thrashing in the mangroves. I did the sound and, all of a sudden, the thrashing stopped. And from me to where Tony Gonzalez’s locker is (12-feet away), a saltwater (crocodile) stuck his head up. He was a 12- to 14-footer. He scared everybody, scared me. So I stopped making the sounds,” Bryant said.

The Falcons may need to hope Bryant can summon some of his reptile friends to the Georgia Dome on Sunday. Atlanta could use the extra help as they try to keep San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick in check.

Permalink 11 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Atlanta Falcons, Home, Rumor Mill
11 Responses to “Falcons kicker Matt Bryant can speak to alligators, sort of”
  1. fitzmagic1212 says: Jan 18, 2013 1:57 AM

video or it didnt happen. thanks a lot manti

2. thekiller678 says: Jan 18, 2013 2:12 AM

I’d rather have an Alligator on the O-line to contend with the land sharks of Willis, Bowman, and Smith (both of them)

3. thegreatgabbert says: Jan 18, 2013 2:57 AM

Local police in concert with wildlife officers apprehended Matt shortly after this admission.

“Mating with alligators is repugnant enough, but when you have someone luring babies, well, let’s just say we want to get this pervert off the street (and away from streams) for a LONG, LONG, time….”.

4. pencilmonkeymagic says: Jan 18, 2013 3:41 AM

Now that’s a great party trick!

5. murty77 says: Jan 18, 2013 3:54 AM

In my opinion, and I could be wrong, but screwing with an alligator seems like a terrible idea.

6. roddytorock84 says: Jan 18, 2013 7:31 AM

If you’re actually a real falcon fan this isn’t new news. Also its kinda funny that we need stories for the playoffs and we get this. But hey I’ll take it. At least its not a jets or Philly story.

7. gochargersgo says: Jan 18, 2013 8:36 AM

I guess crabtree gets the “B” list stories. This is equivalent to the cat fashion show in Anchorman.

8. johnnycamparm says: Jan 18, 2013 8:52 AM

Fighting Irish LB Manti Te’o can speak to people who don’t exist, sort of.

9. phinsup296 says: Jan 18, 2013 8:55 AM

What a croc

10. comeonnowguys says: Jan 18, 2013 9:03 AM

Not for nothing, but I’d learn the sound that makes alligators leave my backyard, personally.

11. ahostiletakeover says: Jan 18, 2013 9:07 AM

Firstly, pretty interesting story, wonder if he can make the baby alligator sound too?

Secondly, and I’m nitpicking here because Mr Bryant’s business is making FGs and not being a naturalist, but the saltwater crocodile as that species is commonly referred to is only native to southeast Asia and Australia. Bryant probably saw an American or a Morelet’s Crocodile in Cancun, nowhere near as big as a salty but still potentially dangerous.