John Pagano will remain with Chargers

John Pagano AP

The Chargers’ new head coach Mike McCoy has settled on his defensive coordinator.

It’s the same guy who ran things on that side of the ball for Norv Turner. The Chargers announced Friday that John Pagano will stay with the team for the 2013 season. Pagano reportedly generated some interest from Cleveland, but won’t be joining Turner and head coach Rob Chudzinski in Cleveland.

“I want to thank the Spanos family, Coach McCoy and the entire organization for believing in me,” Pagano said in a statement from the team. “These are very exciting times for the Chargers and I look forward to keep building our defense to where we want it to be.”

San Diego finished the 2012 season ranked ninth overall in total defense, up from 16th in his first season as coordinator in 2011. Pagano has been with the Chargers since 2002, which makes him the longest-tenured member of the coaching staff.

The Chargers also announced that defensive line coach Don Johnson, linebackers coach Joe Barry and assistant linebackers coach Greg Williams will remain with the team as well.

Permalink 13 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, San Diego Chargers
13 Responses to “John Pagano will remain with Chargers”
  1. thegreatgabbert says: Jan 18, 2013 5:53 PM

Sorting out coaches in the NFL is becoming a bit like sorting out the pictures at the family reunions.

“So is he the oldest of the brothers or second oldest?”.

“Oh I though Jack was Billy’s dad, but you say he is Ted’s dad? So would that make him a second cousin to Bud?”.

“My Gosh, I can never tell those two apart..”.

2. lanjoith says: Jan 18, 2013 6:02 PM

This was Pagano’s first season as DC, not his second. Greg Manusky was the DC in 2011. Great news! The defense was definitely the strong point of the team last season.

3. chargerdillon says: Jan 18, 2013 6:05 PM

4th and 29…………..4th and 29……….ask the broncos where their db coach is. I like Pagano but he should’ve been fired just as the broncos db coach was fired, you make that big of a blunder you do not deserve a second chance

4. yaryers says: Jan 18, 2013 6:12 PM

Correction: This was Pagano’s first year as DC. Manusky was DC in 2011.

The Chargers are finally making good decisions. Pagano’s defense was one of the only bright spots this season.

5. boltfan24 says: Jan 18, 2013 6:44 PM

Manusky was DC in 2011 last season was Pagano’s first and he did a great job.

6. lanjoith says: Jan 18, 2013 6:49 PM

There was a penalty on that play that the refs missed or it wouldn’t have been successful.

7. ambitoos says: Jan 18, 2013 6:58 PM

I thought he did a great job with what he had in the secondary. Jammer is getting long in the tooth and needs to step aside. He was Mr Easy Target last year.

8. natelan69 says: Jan 18, 2013 8:10 PM

Love this decision.

Go bolts.

9. beauregard says: Jan 18, 2013 9:37 PM

Good enough to beat the Raiders of course (what isn’t) and maybe the new Chiefs, but as long as Manning is in Denver the Bolts will come in a consistent 2nd. We generally do well from the wildcard spot though, so it’s not all bad. Manning can be beat in the post season.

10. sandiegosportswire says: Jan 18, 2013 10:16 PM

I’m glad we had those faceplants to get Norv and AJ and their inconsistent non accountable bs outta here! Pagano is great, can’t wait to see our D next year.

11. joosef619 says: Jan 18, 2013 11:09 PM

Weddle got clipped so hard by Boldin on that 4th and 29 play.

12. joetoronto says: Jan 19, 2013 7:06 AM

It was awesome seeing Weddle get smoked on that play.

I watch it whenever I want a good laugh.

13. dannymac17 says: Jan 22, 2013 4:49 PM

You know what I watch when I want to laugh JoeToronto?

The highlights from the last 11 years of the Raiders