Panthers promote Mike Shula to offensive coordinator

Panthers Football AP

The Panthers elected to go for continuity rather than an outside voice, promoting quarterbacks coach Mike Shula to offensive coordinator, according to Joe Person of the Charlotte Observer.

The Panthers interviewed Hue Jackson and Pat Shurmur (who runs an offense nothing like what they do) before keeping their own guy. Shula replaces Rob Chudzinski, who got the head coaching job in Cleveland.

While there’s familiarity with Shula, his only other stint as a coordinator didn’t go well, as his Buccaneers offenses of the late 1990s were among the worst in the league.

The Panthers also promoted a pair of assistant assistants to full assistants, making Ricky Proehl their receivers coach and Richard Rodgers their special teams coach.

There’s something to be said for familiarity, but it doesn’t come across as a strong mandate for head coach Ron Rivera in a make-or-break season.

Permalink 21 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Carolina Panthers, Home, Rumor Mill
21 Responses to “Panthers promote Mike Shula to offensive coordinator”
  1. spicymudbugs says: Jan 18, 2013 5:01 PM

This is a fantastic choice.

Signed
    Saints fans

2. camfan89 says: Jan 18, 2013 5:10 PM

Hue should have gotten the job, plain and simple.

3. nfloracle says: Jan 18, 2013 5:19 PM

OMG. What on earth is going on with the Panthers? It’s starting to look to me like instead of selling the team two years after his death, The Big Cat wants to destroy it and leave nothing but bad memories and endless losses to those of us who were loyal to his team for so long.

This latest hire is just about the last straw. What with the tax on food and beverages so the common man can pay for a billionaire’s stadium upgrade, this is just getting to be too much.

4. autumnwind999 says: Jan 18, 2013 5:23 PM

Cue Nelson Muntz.

5. dionoil says: Jan 18, 2013 5:40 PM

I’m aprehensive about this move, but I’m not passing judgment until we see a few games. Also, it’s awesome that they promoted proehl

6. realfootballfan says: Jan 18, 2013 5:41 PM

Rivera is just reinforcing what I thought of him when watching him mismanage games for the Panthers every week out of leads. He’s incompetent.

Wonder how far into next season he’ll get before he gets fired. I’ve got a month in the pool.

7. hallcyon says: Jan 18, 2013 5:42 PM

I agree with these promotions/hires, as going outside and therefore changing systems would take the team back. He’s stuck with what he has, however it would be wise to go all out for a quarterbacks coach and possibly hire a senior offensive assistant who understands their Coryell system.

8. pilot2011 says: Jan 18, 2013 6:00 PM

I think its a good move.

No other quarterback in NFL history has had a better first 2 years, (statistically) than Cam Newton… Why change things around now?

The Panthers should have beaten the Bears, Seahawks, Bucs(2nd meeting), Chiefs, and Cowboys. Not to mention a Haruki Nakamura 3 inch vertical to lose to the Falcons away from being a 12 win team.

The Panthers are a sleeping giant and all you nfloracle’s know it.

love,
    Pilot

9. Deb says: Jan 18, 2013 6:09 PM

Mike is a good quarterbacks coach. He’s not the best choice for coordinator. But at least he won’t be the guy making the draft picks. That’s some consolation for Panthers’ fans.

Having said that, I wish him all the best.

10. slammincamnewton says: Jan 18, 2013 6:14 PM

The only logical way this makes sense is that Shula will use the same playbook Chud did and Cam doesn’t have to learn a new one. The problem will be execution and play calling. This is a double edged sword.

11. canetic says: Jan 18, 2013 6:14 PM

I need to get some minimal coaching experience. I have a feeling I could have really climbed the coaching ladders in this offseason.

12. jason1214 says: Jan 18, 2013 6:19 PM

Most of his Crimson Tide offenses were brutal also. Very conservative play caller.

13. anrockray says: Jan 18, 2013 6:22 PM

Shula had poor quarterback play in Tampa Bay and they played to their defensive strengths…We all know you can be a genius but in the NFL poor QB play can make you look like a fool. Just ask Tony Sparano

14. mhs8031 says: Jan 18, 2013 6:40 PM

I hope the offense is in the top 3 in the NFL just to shut all of you experts up. Shula is a good hire because he has a great relationship with Cam and knows the offense that suits Cam’ skill set. In 1999, his QB was Shawn King and his offense was to give the ball to Alston and Dunn., if memory serves me right. The defense was awesome. Shula will be fine–wait and see.

About Hue Jackson: If he is so awesome, why did no team hire him? Why did he get 2 interviews and was not selected? I thnk there is more to Jackson than the fans know. I am a Panther fan since the beginning, and I trust Gettlemen’s influence and RR’s decision. Chud was not a QB–now the OC and QB will think alike. Could be dangerous for you Saints fans who applaud the hire. I blame the Louisiana public school system and interfamilial romance.

15. mazblast says: Jan 18, 2013 6:56 PM

The last name is the ONLY reason Dave and Mike get hired. Coaching ability is not hereditary.

Sorry, Panthers fans, but that’s the way it is. I hope I’m wrong about this.

16. therillest says: Jan 18, 2013 7:19 PM

Good luck with that…

Signed Jag Fan

17. fafafuey says: Jan 18, 2013 7:35 PM

With the 1st pick in the 2014 draft the Panthers select Jadevon Clowney.

18. jawnyblaze says: Jan 18, 2013 7:54 PM

This is an absolutely bs hiring. Jackson has improved offenses for a long time. He even had the pathetic Raiders with no offensive talent outside of McFadden in the top 10 and we promote a guy that’s done nothing but fail in every stop along his career. To hell with continuity, I want improvement, not stagnation.

19. chazatlas says: Jan 19, 2013 7:26 AM

I have been a die hard Carolina fan since they born in 93. Unfortunately it’s obvious Jerry Richardson is old fashion, stubborn and ultimately cheap. Until he goes on to glory and the team is sold to owners willing to invest properly in players and staff, the Panthers will continue to be bad to mediocre.

Chaz/Greenville, SC

20. hallcyon says: Jan 19, 2013 10:53 PM

Who will be the quarterback coach for the franchise player Cam Newton? As of now the most important position coaching position on the team is vacant.

21. jakiger says: Jan 21, 2013 4:40 PM

When Chud left I knew without a doubt they would hire from within. #1 Richardson never spends money in the correct spots. #2 I knew they couldnt get anyone else to agree on a one year contract because after next years 0-4 start Rivera will be fired. (Of course not during the season, Richardson is way to cheap to pay two head coaching salaries.