Tom Brady said “I’m going to be a great one” after his second start

Getty Images

Not many people thought Tom Brady was going to become an all-time great quarterback in 2001, when he first took over for an injured Drew Bledsoe. But Brady himself thought so.

Damon Huard, who was the Patriots’ third-string quarterback that year, recalled in an interview with ESPN.com that Brady told him after his second career start that he knew he was going to be great.

“I’ve been playing this game my whole life,” Brady told Huard. “I’ve started a couple games now, and it’s the same game, man. It’s no different. I kid you not, it’s not that hard. I’m going to be a great one. I’m going to be one of the best at this game.”

It’s pretty surprising Brady felt that way after that game. In that game, Brady went 12-for-24 for 86 yards and lost two fumbles while the Patriots lost 30-10.

But Brady saw something in himself that the rest of us didn’t see. And he then embarked on a career that really has been great.

144 responses to “Tom Brady said “I’m going to be a great one” after his second start

1. I find it hysterical when people say the Patriots “Got lucky” with Brady.

You don’t keep a 4th string QB on your active roster for a full year and be called lucky.

NE knew exactly what they were doing with this guy and had a plan the whole time.

Michael David Smith: I think what people are saying is that the Patriots were lucky he was still on the board in the sixth round.

2. Giovani Carmazi probably said the same thing, and so has every other QB who was great, good, decent, or terrible. You don’t make it in the nfl without confidence in yourself. Non-story.

3. You have been great Tom…but I truly hope that you are not great this weekend…or if so – in the SB…because I hate your entire organization with a passion.

4. He could have omitted “one of” from his statement and it would remain true. I say this as a very bitter Jets fan.

5. Some haters will probably blast Brady for arrogance or ego, but the one attribute all the great ones has is confidence. While many are confused or overwhelmed by the “next level”, Brady found it to be the same level. I’m not even a Pats fan, but I’m a fan of all great players who play the game the way it was meant to be played.

6. With all due respect to Damon Huard, I don’t buy that at all. It sounds like revisionist history.

Like “There’s something different about the feel in the clubhouse this year” or “I could sense in the air that something amazing was going to happen”.

7. It is easy when 75% of your passes are inside of 7 yards and you’ve been standing behind one of the best offensive lines your whole career. Thats why even Cassel could do it.

8. Personally, I don’t think the Pats deserve any credit for *picking* Brady. (SIXTH round?) If I remember correctly, there was a discussion about who to take at that pick and Brady wasn’t a slam dunk. After they had him, for keeping him as a fourth quarterback, yes. And he was going to replace Bledsoe in 2001, injury or no injury.

9. saturdaysgame says: Jan 18, 2013 7:14 AM

After Mark Sanchez’ second game, he was quoted as saying, “Where the teenagers at?”

==================
    That is because teenagers always know where the hotdog cart is.

10. @somethinsbruin says: Jan 18, 2013 7:13 AM

———————————————————-
    Actually, Carmazi played himself out of the league because he had zero confidence in himself. Mariucci said so himself. A lot of players make it to the league just based on talent and potential alone, but fail because they have zero confidence in themselves on the big stage. That’s what makes Brady so great. No matter the stage or the situation, his confidence in himself never waivers and he’s always backed up what he’s said. Much respect for him.

11. He said that after Ernie Adams told him so. “Don’t worry kid, just listen to me over your in-helmet earpiece and you’ll be a star!”

12. He’s like Neo in the Matrix at the end of the first one and he sees numbers and sh@t and its like “oh snap this is all coming easy to me.”

13. Brady is great but he’s helped A LOT by playing the Jets, Dolphins & Bills 6 times every season. This is why the Pats get a bye in the playoffs every year & why their stats are always ridiculous. They wouldn’t be so pretty if they played in a real division.

14. Mariucci actually had one of my favorite lines referring to passing on Brady. He said something along the lines of, “He had a body that looked like he never picked up a weight. His measureables were poo. He graded out as the most unathletic player at the combine. His arm was good, not great. But the one thing we couldn’t do was open up his chest and measure his heart”.

15. He said it looking at all the cameras suckers. Keep hating and kiss our rings. Nothing you say will change a thing.

16. He better win another Super Bowl; otherwise this guy will have an asterisk the size of Barry Bonds head next to him for life.

I’m not saying its fair, or that it is warranted, but this is how the world is now. Your team cheated, was fined heavily for it, and since…you have fallen short.

17. wte1 says: Jan 18, 2013 7:11 AM

I find it hysterical when people say the Patriots “Got lucky” with Brady.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Of course they got lucky. They say so themselves. Scott Pioli always kept a picture of Antwan Harris on his desk. Harris was the guy they drafted with their pick before Brady. Pioli kept it there as a reminder that if he knew Brady was that good he wouldn’t have drafted 6 players ahead of him.

When Brady met Robert Kraft for the first time, he introduced himself and told Kraft that he was going to be the best draft pick they had ever made.

Once they had him in camp they knew they had something. Rather than cut and sign him to the practice squad, they carried him as a 4th QB so they wouldn’t lose him.

I’m a Pats fan, but they hit the NFL equivalent of Powerball with that pick.

18. As a Michigan alum Brady is and always has been my favorite player. Plus, he is a stud who sure does get hot babes. Not a bad life! I’m a Redskins fan by marriage, but will always root for the Pats until Brady is no longer their QB….

19. It’s funny, Pats fans call Boldin out for saying “We will win”, yet when Brady says he will be great, they fall in line.

The truth is – no team thought he would be great or he would not have lasted untl the 6th round (not all that unusual to overlook greatness -for precent, see John Unitas, released by Steelers), he is in fact a great QB, and all players should think they are going to be good and that they will win. Can we stop making “news” out of such reports?

20. How many times have we heard this, or stories like this? We’ve also heard that Brady went up to Bob Kraft after he was drafted and promised him it would be the best decision he (Kraft) ever made. We’ve seen Brady get emotionally upset when talking about being passed over for five rounds until he was selected in the draft.

Does Brady think he’s the only QB that was ever drafted later than he should have been? Bart Starr was a 17th round draft pick, and won five championships. Did he get upset about it? Johnny Unitas was a 9th round pick, and was cut by the team that drafted him. He won three championships and helped make the NFL the brand name it is today.

Right or wrong, talk like this just helps cement the image that Brady is arrogant. It ain’t bragging if you can do it, but people have grown tired of hearing about it. It’s old and quite frankly, one of the reasons I want Baltimore to win this weekend is so I don’t have to hear about how great Tom Brady and the Patriots are for another two weeks.

I’m sure lots of QBs have thought the same thing about themselves, and some of them, like Brady, have made it big. Brady just seems to have spoken more openly about it than the others.

21. Best offensive line for most of his career and master of the 5-7 yard pass. He’s good, but he has also benefited from Bill B, protection, defense, and receivers that make plays.

22. Lets be honest here. Do we really believe he’d be the same QB with a team like the Browns? Or pick another team that’s had bad coaches and poor to average o line.

No way would he be what some of you see him as. He’d have zero rings. In fact, take away a kicker and stellar Defense, he’d have no rings with the Pats. He isn’t the reason they won three Super Bowls. They could’ve won with many other qbs those years

23. Im a Niner fan and he’s the ONLY Quarterback I would ever even remotely consider to be greater then Montana. Like him or not, his resume speaks for itself.

24. Translation: I’ve played this game all of my life but I’ve never been on a team where the OC whispers the defensive play call into your headset. It’s great, I don’t even have to think about it, I know what’s coming on every play. I’m going to be one of the greatest cheaters of all time.

25. ebrownwareagle says:
    Jan 18, 2013 7:38 AM

———————————————————

You’re right….if it had been a public statement. The thing is, it was a comment made in private to a co-worker/friend.

26. @ truthfactory

Oh yea? Go back and look at how many times Cassel got sacked in 2008. Now look at how many times Brady has been sacked each year.

Thank you, come again.

27. I’ve sometimes wondered … In the 2001 playoffs, if Drew Bledsoe hadn’t come in to replace an injured Tom Brady and won that first AFC Championship Game for him, … how would this all have turned out?

28. I think I over heard him saying that I am going to be great because after I fumble and lose the game the ref’s are going to give it back to me. Than I am going to have an advantage because my head coach is going to secret video tape other teams practices and walk through there for I will have an advantage.

Than he also said after we get caught cheating I won’t be great anymore and never win another super bowl.

29. I don’t think it’s so much that he “knew” he was going to be great, but that that’s the attitude you need in the NFL to be great. I don’t hear other guys saying this, I don’t see other guys with his competitive edge. He’s got that Michael Jordan tenacity along with skill, that’s what it takes to be the best.

30. If Brady knew he was no slacker and that he was a student of the game and would do everything under his own power to grow to be as good as he could be and he knew his potential, then I like it. A lot of guys are missing one or more of those aspects. They may have the confidence, but they’re not going to put in the work, and they don’t come out of the box with some God-given natural ability. Congrats to Brady for working to make it happen.

31. pattunya says:
    Jan 18, 2013 8:10 AM

————————————————-

They are not the only franchise with 3 super bowl rings, hate to burst your bubble. No rings since being caught cheating

32. Cereal says: Jan 18, 2013 8:04 AM

_______

It works both ways my friend. Part of the reason the Jets, Dolphins, and Bills don’t have great records every year is because they play the Patriots twice as well.

The Dolphins were a 9-7 team this year with a rookie QB if you flip the results vs the Patriots. And the Jets went to back-to-back AFCCG’s just 2 years ago. The AFC East isn’t great, but the Patriots play a role in that too.

33. I’m a huge Ravens fan and the truth here is that he is exactly right. He’s the best I have ever seen.

I want to call him a pretty boy because of his lifestyle and would like to think that he’s soft. Then I see him in last year’s AFCCG go over the middle and get smashed in his lower back upside down while he scores a TD and get up and like it’s nothing. The dude is much tougher than most of us give him credit for.

I hope he has a tough day this Sunday, and our defense has been able to slow him down in the past, but he is one of the best ever and I give him a ton of respect.

GO RAVENS!!

34. Brady is great but he’s helped A LOT by playing the Jets, Dolphins & Bills 6 times every season. This is why the Pats get a bye in the playoffs every year & why their stats are always ridiculous. They wouldn’t be so pretty if they played in a real division
    ———————-
    Going back to 2001, Brady’s first SB season, the Jets have made the playoffs 6 times…2 times reaching the AFC Champ. game. Just cause they sucked this year doesnt mean the division is easy.
    One could argue divisional games are the hardest BECAUSE you see them twice every year.

Would you care to share which divisions are the “tough” ones???

35. Will Kaepernick show TB what great is in his rookie year? Have never seen TB run for a 53 yard TD. And TB doesn’t look like he ever ran from the cops, either. Is Brent Musburger hangin’ with Mark Sanchez lately? Btw, MS is going to be “great” also, right?

36. bucslose says:
    Jan 18, 2013 8:25 AM
    ——————
    I’ve always liked the “dink and dunk” argument against Brady. He has had a carousel of WR’s over his career (which all have stunk when they leave NE…but that has nothing to do with Brady right?) Not to mention when he DID have a deep threat (Moss) he set the NFL record for TDs and threw more bombs that magical year than I can remember.
    BB abd TB are about percentages, the 5-7 yd pass is a statistically better option. They’ve lead the league in points scored a ton in the last couple of years…why dont other QB’s just “dink and dunk” it? The answer is because it’s not as simple as you make it out to be. TB = great, you = jealous

37. Beezo-Doo-doo-Zippity-Bop-bop-bop says: Jan 18, 2013 8:31 AM

Translation: I am extremely jealous of the Patriots that is why you will find a lame comment from me on every thread that has anything to do with the Patriots!

38. An underrated virtually unknown young player who believed in himself enough to put in the work to become one of the all time greats while always giving credit to his teammates and coaches, and using his celebrity status to raise money for charities.

What a jerk. I totally get why everyone hates him now.

39. Every single person in here hating on Brady would be turning cartwheels in the street if he suddenly ended up on their team. And they’d be right.

40. brownwareagle says: If Cam Newton had said this I can only imagine the backlash… The how arrogant is he really statements etc…. The American Double Standard!

Has Cam Newton been to 5 Super Bowls and won 3? Take your “American Double Standard” and shove it….

41. And this is why I dislike Brady. No humility, no class… unlike Peyton who’s the most humble guy out there. Yes, Brady will be remembered as one of the best QB’s but he’ll also be remembered as one of the most arrogant. Part of what makes a person great is when you can be the best there is and still be humble about it.

42. What a bunch of malarkey, he never said this. He didn’t even start playing football until tenth grade in high school; he wanted to be a Catcher in baseball. Why didn’t this story come out after his third Super Bowl ring? Baloney!

43. @duncanthecat
    “I would rather like to see him figure out how to win a superbowl without an undue advantage.”

Actually, that is the last thing you want. Once that happens then you will be forced to admit his greatness.

44. 85pmart says:
    Jan 18, 2013 9:39 AM

Kaepernick isn’t a rookie. Thanks for trying though

45. Keep in mind Brady made this statement during a private conversation with a teammate. He didn’t do it in front of cameras and microphones.

46. I call BS. There is no tape anywhere of Brady saying something remotely close to this. 12 years of interviews vs Damon Huard? I will take the 12 years of interviews.

47. fwippel says: Jan 18, 2013 8:23 AM

================================

He didn’t say it in an interview, he said it privately, to a teammate.

Lots of players use being passed over in the draft, or being waived as motivation, but most don’t do it with the same determination and success as him. It’s that drive that makes him so successful. Watch Peyton Manning after a playoff loss, he’s disappointed and says all the right things. Brady is despondent, or enraged after a post season loss. It kills him. That’s what makes him who he is. If it’s arrogance, I’ll take 53 arrogant players.

48. pdmjr says: Belichick had 5 rounds to pick him, if he thought he was any good he would have chosen him earlier.

The Patriots thought he was good, but they had just signed Drew Bledsoe to a new contract, so they weren’t looking for a QB in the draft. Also, Bledsoe had taken them to the play-offs and the SB.

49. Wow the tinfoil hat and propellor beanie crowd is out in force from their mom’s basements today.

Brady’s the best of all time and has shown it over and over.

50. my2cents27 says:
    Jan 18, 2013 9:35 AM
    THE GREATEST OF ALL TIME!!

Montana isn’t even in the same ball park in my opinion!!

————————————————-

51. Hey Mr Tennessee: Since you are so good at Stats..find me a QB that HASN’T thrown any Interceptions and then I will be impressed.

52. Beezo-Doo-doo-Zippity-Bop-bop-bop says:
    Jan 18, 2013 10:28 AM
    Is there not even one Patriot fan that will admit they cheated?

————————————————–

No there are none. Just like you won’t find one who will say Tom Brady fumbled either. Even though when it happened the whole satdium got quite because they knew the game should have been over.

It’s funny people think he is great when his career has been based on a bad call and cheating and hasn’t won nothing since

53. Cereal says: Jan 18, 2013 8:04 AM

———————–

Jets-Dolphins-Bills (19-29). The Texans were 12-4.

Denver played the Chargers, the Raiders and the Chiefs (13-35), got the bye and played the Ravens (10-6)… but they are not in the AFC Champ. game next sunday. Your argument looks invalid to me.

When the Patriots were 16-0, they lost the big game. It doesn’t matter if you are playing in a real division or not. You have to play your best in the big games.

54. Brady tells his owner in his rookie year “I’m the best decision this organization has ever made”. He tells his buddy Aaron Shea before his second year training camp “I’m going to beat out Drew Bledsoe”. And now he tells Damon Huard this.

So privately, he exudes incredible confidence if not arrogance even early on in his career when he was half the QB he is now.
    Publicly and in front of a camera, you would never hear him talk like that.
    Is he a phoney then? A liar? I guess those that want to hate will say so but I prefer to view this as using judgement and having perspective of which many atheletes often don’t exercise (Bart Scott comes to mind).

55. After Mark Sanchez’s 2nd game he said, “Oyyyyyyyyyy….Da plane….Da Plane….Vay con dios….”

No one has heard of a mexican Pro Bowler. Sorry. And not this time either.

56. It really makes you wonder. What is it that Brady has that scouts didn’t think carried over to the NFL. That is, why didn’t they think what made him successful in college would work in the NFL? Did he lack arm strength or accuracy or field vision? For arm strength and what not, people should start factoring in what happens when college players get their hands on nfl caliber conditioning and nfl caliber peds.

57. tennesseeoilers says: Jan 18, 2013 10:24 AM

Little known fact:

Tom Brady has thrown 3 interceptions in a single playoff game THREE times.
    ______

And they won 2 of those 3 games. 6 of those 9 picks game against the Chargers who can never beat us. Keep hatin, we’ll just keep winning.

58. jonevans83 says: if anyone else says this, you crucify them. Double standards.

——————————

It’s not idle boasting if you back it up.

Provide me with a list of other quarterbacks in the Free agent and salary cap era who have won 3 Super Bowls and gotten their team to 5 of them while achieving the best winning percentage in the NFL over the last 10 years.

59. “ebrownwareagle says: Jan 18, 2013 7:38 AM
    If Cam Newton had said this I can only imagine the backlash… The how arrogant is he really statements etc…. The American Double Standard!”
    ============================================

ebrown, it’s clear you lack reading comprehension because if you’d read the comments you’d see that people are STILL bashing Brady. One thing people won’t argue is that Brady has backed up his prediction and has earned his place as a future hall of famer. What has Cam done so far? Please learn to read and get a clue.

60. Brady is an amazing QB and a huge reason for their success in the NFL. Another good reason, knowing other team’s defensive signals during a ‘surprising’ run of 3 superbowl wins in 4 years. Wonder why they quit winning all of them….

61. tyler4richardson says: Jan 18, 2013 10:54 AM

Eli is greater. 2-0 in the big dance vs Tom.
    —————————————————-

Yes, good point.

# of times brady has missed the playoffs:twice/13years

# of times Eli has missed the playoffs:twice/8years

62. I have a question to all the people who keep complaining about the division that the Patriots play in. Is it the Patriots fault that the other teams in the division are not run as well from the top to the bottom as the Patriots? The Patriots play the teams that the NFL schedules them to play. They have no control of that.

63. Um, about Eli having Brady’s number…let’s not forget he had the lead in both games with very little time left. The D let them down and Manning and his WRs pull off some crazy catches to put them in position to score and eventually win

Was he great in those games like he was in reg. season – NO. Give the NYG credit. People wanna clown them for 18-1, “no SB after cheating”….but, they were literally seconds away from 2 more SB titles.

This QB could very well be on his way to a 6th Super Bowl. Win or lose that is amazing – #RESPECT

64. Cereal says: Brady is great but he’s helped A LOT by playing the Jets, Dolphins & Bills 6 times every season.
    —–

Odd, nobody ever complained about the weak division Peyton Manning and the Colts played in. I also don’t recall Montana’s 49ers or Bradshaw’s Steelers playing in particularly tough divisions. I guess some people are born to whine.

65. As far as the tuck rule game, I thought it was a fumble, as most people did. But it was the NFL ref in the booth, not a challenge by the Pats. Sometimes a bad call will go your way. It was snowing, and who’s to say the Raiders wouldn’t have fumbled? You never know. Sorry about that Raider fans.

66. I love how haters claim that Brady has “benefited” from receivers catching balls (what QB has that?), coaches coaching (no way!), and teams being bad in our division (or do the Pats make them look bad?).

Any other deflecting you can think of doing while the rest of the world agrees that Brady is one of the best ever?

67. tennesseeoilers says: Jan 18, 2013 10:24 AM

Little known fact:

Tom Brady has thrown 3 interceptions in a single playoff game THREE times.

—————————————————-
    Well known fact: 17-6

68. Will never get why people don’t love the overlooked 6th-round QB underdog who went on to win 3 Superbowls of 5, lead an unprecedented decade of winning seasons in New England, and marry a Supermodel. By all accounts he is a nice guy and a great teammate. What’s not to like? I say people hate because they’re jealous.

69. You are right Montana is in the ball park all by himself that has 4 Super Bowls Trophies and none of them won by cheating.
    **********************************************

Well, except on the salary cap….

Montana has 4 SBs, true. He also lost three conference championship games, and went 1 and out in the playoffs 4 times. The guy was a great, great QB. He wasn’t perfect. The post-career mythologizing of him seems to forget that at times.

70. I just wanted to read the comments to see what stupid arguments people would come up with to dispute Brady’s greatness…Of course you get the usual garbage with “Oh they cheated”…and went 16-0 after that…”He’s the master of the 5-7 yard pass”…He holds the NFL record for TDs and the offense holds the record for most points in a season, and finished this year with the second highest points total in NFL history, not to mention he passed Dan Marino’s all time paing yards record last year with Brees…”Patriots got lucky”…Every team gets lucky in the draft because that’s how the draft works (see Arian Foster undrafted to the Texans, Vontaze Burfict to the Bengals, etc.)

Bottom line is, no matter how much you hate the Patriots, if you can’t admit that Brady is one of the greatest QBs of all time and can’t give the man the respect he has earned, then you’re just a bitter, stupid fan who can’t see past his own hatred of all the Patriots have accomplished under Tom Brady…And for all the people talking about how arrogant he is and how this shows it, he said this in a private conversation with a friend, not to the media or in public, and he achieved what he set out to do through hard work, study and practice

71. patsfan13 says:
    Jan 18, 2013 11:48 AM

————————————————-

I give you credit for at least admitting it was a fumble, since the rest of world pretty much has. But your second statement is wrong because the raiders would have just had to basically take a knee. Doubt they would of fumbled, so to even say something like that is ridiculous. Because who is to say if the raiders fumbled that the Patriots wouldn’t have fumbled right back, you see what I am saying it sounds stupid.

72. nflfan555 says:
    Jan 18, 2013 12:08 PM

Brady – Well known fact: 17-6

————————————————-

Brady- CHEATED well known fact

73. It’s amusing how much Raider fans whine about Brady and the “tuck rule” game considering how when the Raiders got the the SB the next year they stunk it up by losing to the Bucs 48-21.

74. tyler4richardson says: Jan 18, 2013 10:54 AM

Eli is greater. 2-0 in the big dance vs Tom.
    _____

Eli gets credit from me for 2 epic drives. Great for him, but he is sitting at home Sunday watching the playoffs despite being the quarterback of the defending Super Bowl Champs. Sad way to “defend” your title when you can’t even play.

75. raidernation210 says:
    Jan 18, 2013 12:34 PM
    patsfan13 says:
    Jan 18, 2013 11:48 AM

————————————————-

————————————
    Everyone thought it was a fumble, that was an obvious eye test. Dont hate the Pats/Brady for a stupid RULE that was in the NFL handbook. It’s not like they MADE IT UP as a rule when they saw it happened. They made the right call based on the rulebook….case closed. Dumb rule, that’s all. Your hatred for Brady is unwarranted…maybe you should admit that

76. The rest of the world has not admitted it was a fumble raider210, mostly just raider fans and haters. It was the correct interpretation of a bad rule. That’s a fact, whether it ‘seems’ like it should be a fumble to you or not. Whether you keep repeating this inaccuracy over and over, hold your breath, stomp your feet, don’t believe it etc, etc, it’s in the books. Without an asterisk. It was 10 yrs ago, get on with your life. Hope the raiders recover someday.

77. raidernation210:

I see this guy surrounded by wood paneling in a basement somewhere with Al Davis and Kenny Stabler posters taped to the walls, typing on some off-white desktop computer. Just so mad that he has to watch the Patriots win and win, year after year, with different teams, cameras or no cameras. It must be so frustrating for him and that makes me smile.

78. Brady IS one of the greatest. I’ll bet even Ryan Leaf thought this at some point. To make this level you must have this attitude.

This type of article is meant to incite the haters – just like the Suggs/Bannan “article” earlier. I’d rather have less hate inciting articles and stick to the facts and even rumors.

79. azarkhan says:
    Jan 18, 2013 12:46 PM

————————————————-

a statement like this proves you know nothing about football. The raiders had to play against John Gruden, the guy who built that organization to be as great as it was. The same guy who turned a career back qb in Gannon into a pro bowler and a league MVP. I knew the raiders had no chance going against him. If the raiders didn’t get ripped off in the tuck rule game who knows if they didn’t go on to win the super bowl and Gruden may have not been traded and could have led them to another super bowl.

But you bring up the super bowl, what about when they faced the patriot’s the following year and won 27-20? you didn’t say anything about that, probably because you don’t remember because it was to early on in your bandwagon days to remember.

80. patriotinvasion says:
    Jan 18, 2013 1:07 PM
    raidernation210:

————————————————

Actually I am in your mom’s basement. And they haven’t won since they have been caught cheating. Nothing made me happier when David Tyree ruined your perfect season and the fact that your team choked as the favorite in their last 2 super bowls. so no it is not frustrating at all. try winning without cheating

81. Wow, the raiders won a regular season game against the Pats the following year, after the Pats won the SB, before they won two more. Hope that taught the pats a lesson.

82. raidernation210 says: Jan 18, 2013 1:17 PM

________

Seriously? You want people to congratulate the Raiders for beating the Patriots in a regular season game in 2002? Slow clap, clap, clap. Congratulations.

83. Brady winning percentage pre spygate: 72.92%

Brady winning percentage post spygate: 81.3%

Brady total winning percentage: 76.7%

Joe Montana total winning percentage: 71.3%

Number of different quartbacks that have been to the SB since spygate: 7

Brady 2X
    E. Manning 2X
    Roethlisberger 2X
    Brees 1X
    P. Manning 1X
    Rodgers 1X
    Warner 1X

If your QB is not on the list you really don’t have any room to complain/argue.

Brady = best ever. period.

84. raidernation210: The raiders had to play against John Gruden, the guy who built that organization to be as great as it was.

Also, why didn’t the almighty Al Davis and his flunky Bill Callahan change at least some of the Raiders offense so that Gruden and the Bucs couldn’t embarrass the Raiders in the SB?

Sorry Raider fan, but your team has sucked for too long to be blaming the Patriots for ANYTHING.

85. joebloww says: Jan 18, 2013 1:08 PM

I would say he’s absolutely right, except for the fact that his team filmed other teams’ practices.
    —————————————————

Never happened, moron. Read up on Spygate, you might learn something.

86. Brady is amazing at screen passes and dumpoffs to his RB or throwing that one seam route to his tight end.

No other QB possess those skills, or that boring of an “offense”

87. Gee, I thought it was the almighty Al Davis who made the Raiders great! But if Gruden was so great, why did the almighty Al Davis trade him? (answer: he was to cheap to pay him, and hey, what did the Raiders do with those two #1 picks, two #2 picks, and $8 million bucks? They should have been able to build a dynasty!).

————————————————-

Let’s go back in time. Last February, Oakland owner Al Davis got the message loud and clear that his coach, Gruden, probably wouldn’t sign a long-term contract with the Raiders when his deal expired at the end of the 2002 season. Lots of little reasons there, not the least of which was money. This is from Peter King, posted on January 21, 2003. So you saying he was traded because of money proves how clueless you are it was more over control than it was money get clue.

The $8 million is significant — or is it? Each NFL franchise received about $70 million in TV revenue this year; so what if the Bucs, in effect, got only $62 million when you subtract the Gruden sum? Forget the money. The draft choices are a big deal. In 2002, Tampa Bay gave Oakland the 21st and 53rd picks in the draft… This is from the same article from Peter King. It was not 2 first round picks, just proving how clueless and how little you really know. get a clue

88. raidernation210 says: Jan 18, 2013 1:25 PM

_____

The Giants played well in both games and beat us by 3 and 4 points. Congrats to them. But the Patriots still had the lead with under a minute to go in both games and their DEFENSE allowed Eli to score. Tyree drops that ball, or Welker catches his, and there’s 2 more Super Bowls. Keep hatin guy. You’re only embarrassing yourself here.

89. popcultcrave says:
    Jan 18, 2013 1:40 PM
    Brady winning percentage pre spygate: 72.92%

Brady winning percentage post spygate: 81.3%

Brady total winning percentage: 76.7%

Joe Montana total winning percentage: 71.3%

Number of different quartbacks that have been to the SB since spygate: 7

Brady 2X
    E. Manning 2X
    Roethlisberger 2X
    Brees 1X
    P. Manning 1X
    Rodgers 1X
    Warner 1X

If your QB is not on the list you really don’t have any room to complain/argue.

Brady = best ever. period.

————————————————-

Brady’s Super Bowl winning percentage since SPYGATE—-0.00%

90. Dear dwindling spygate crowd:

No matter how much you hold your breath and stomp your feet, the national media has moved on from this story. NFL Network and ESPN still play all of the Patriots Super Bowl highlights in all of their glory. I still see Brady holding his hands on his head and Vinatieri’s kicks going through the uprights in sweet, beautiful slow motion.

So cry all you want ladies. But those NFL Films highlights look as pretty as ever and there’s nothing your insignificant little hands can type to change that.

91. I love how the Patriots are judged on how they have performed in “their last 2 Super Bowls” while most other teams are judged on whether or not they make the playoffs. Hilarious.

————————————————

They are being judged on what they have won since they were caught cheating and fined by the league and had draft picks taken away because they cheated. And you act like they only beat you by 3 and 4 points but the Patriot’s were favored by more than that to win the game. And don’t give if Tyree drops the ball or Welker catches, because if the queen had a —– she would be the king. The point is they have won a title since being caught. get over because it will never go away until they do

92. After New England has continued their tremendous winning ways, and have been in 2 more Super Bowls since with a completely different team, the media has let it go because they realize the story obviously didn’t mean much.

————————————————

you are leaving out that they lost both of those super bowls. a little different when you don’t know what the other team is doing. but why bother mentiong the truth right…ahahahaha!!!

The NFL thought it didn’t mean much either that’s why they were fined $250,000 and Belicheat was fined $250,000 and they lost draft picks….ahahahahaha!!! keep defedning it and I will keep putting you in your place. tell mom to bring me some ice tea

93. Brady winning percentage post spygate: 81.3%

Brady’s Super Bowl winning percentage since “Spygate”—-0.00% (0 for 2)

Raiders Super Bowl appearances since Spygate – 0

Raiders Playoff appearances since Spygate – 0

Raiders Super Bowl winning percentage for the past 40 years – 0.00%

94. can someone tell me what a “RAIDERNATION210”?
    is?

What on God’s green earth is a “Raider” in relation to professional football?
    Is there an actual team called “Raiders”?
    Was there a team at one time?
    Maybe there was a US city that was granted an expansion license from the NFL this year that we had not heard about and they’re starting a new football team called “Raiders”?
    Maybe a Roller Derby team somewhere in the midwest? A bowling league in Spokane, WA?
    What?!?!
    For the life of me I cannot figure out why this “raidernation210” poster is involved with this Pro Football Talk site in even the remotest sense.
    Surely, I am not mistaken here.
    Someone help me out!?!? Please?? Did I miss something??
    What in the wide wide world of sports is goin’ on round here, anyway?

95. If the Raiders were my team, I wouldn’t have moved on yet either, after all there is nothing to move on to (besides that glorious 2002 season that is.… Raiders won the SB that year didn’t they?)

Tom Brady is playing in his 7th AFC title game this weekend.

I would be jealous too.

96. Muhammed Ali always said he was the greatest and no one ever knocked him for saying it, what’s different about Brady saying he would be one of the greatest to play the game and then obviously backing it up? You can’t deny the facts.

97. I have no problem with him saying he will be great. Fine…say whatever you want to get yourself motivated.

I take exception that he thinks he is great. As a Ravens fan I have never been worried playing him, as I am when we play Manning or Rothlesberger. If you take away Brady’s short passes, and his air cover with the Refs, he is a not so elite.

98. jagsfan1 says: Jan 18, 2013 7:16 AM

____________________________________

And this comment right here proves there are so many clueless football fans chiming in on this website. Not great this weekend? How about you watch football before you comment?