Katie Couric to interview Te’o

Katie AP

Oprah is slipping.

At a time when the Manti Te’o imbroglio has begun to feel like it was all an anchovy-and-Anheuser-induced dream, we’re reminded that the story of a fake dead girlfriend has yet to die, thanks to Katie Couric.

Katie, not Oprah (who perhaps could have closed the deal by explaining that Steadman is fake, too), has finagled the first televised TV interview of Te’o — not to be confused with the non-televised TV interview conducted by Jeremy Schaap of ESPN.  According to the New York Times, the sit-down will be televised on Thursday.

Coincidentally (or not), the T’eo family has hired a spokesman who has served as Couric’s spokesman for an extended period of time.

So, in other words, we don’t expect much.

All we expect/hope for at this point is the truth, or something close to it.  The entire situation continues to create a sense that we’re being sold a version of reality other than the truth.  From a half-hearted investigation by Notre Dame to Te’o’s reluctance to answer questions from ESPN on camera to the decision to dump the outcome of a 2.5-hour interview onto the Internet in the wee hours of a Friday night to the lingering inconsistencies in the story to the admitted lies about meeting the fake dead girlfriend to an effort by Schaap and Te’o to address his ongoing comments about the fake dead girlfriend after December 6 that bordered on an Abbott and Costello routine to the unexplored question of whether and to what extent Ronaiah Tuiasosopo perpetrated this fraud for possible financial gain, something stinks worse than the rotting corpse of a fake dead girlfriend.

Permalink 18 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill
18 Responses to “Katie Couric to interview Te’o”
  1. steelerchicken says: Jan 21, 2013 10:33 AM

Her people probably paid more than the BIG O

2. pinion8ted says: Jan 21, 2013 10:35 AM

Coincidentally (or not), the T’eo family has hired a spokesman who has been for years Couric’s spokesman.
    ———————————————————
    Another cream-puff interview ……. what is this guy and his people so afraid of that they won’t do an unbiased, open interview?

Katie Couric is selling her reputation down the same river that Jeremy Schaap did.

3. damadgreek says: Jan 21, 2013 10:37 AM

Will he get to use a lifeline?

4. szwhtsup123 says: Jan 21, 2013 10:52 AM

Finally, he’s gonna come out and admit it. As a result he’ll make more money in endorsements than ever playing a snap in football…

5. moth25 says: Jan 21, 2013 10:55 AM

If I were Te’o I’d be prepared to answer which magazines he reads and his favorite Supreme Court cases.

6. unionsblow1 says: Jan 21, 2013 10:56 AM

I guess I’ll have to read about the interview here, because I can’t stand that beeyatch.

7. mavajo says: Jan 21, 2013 10:59 AM

I’ve never seen an “innocent” person engage in such a massive PR crusade.

8. steelers88 says: Jan 21, 2013 11:05 AM

How can people trust him in this interview I can’t even tell if he is telling the truth right now.

9. nokoolaidcowboy says: Jan 21, 2013 11:08 AM

This is now officially a circus!

[Oh wait, there’s still Oprah]

10. paperlions says: Jan 21, 2013 11:09 AM

These interviews (Te’o and Armstrong) reek of PR manipulation. They are selecting high profile people to interview them that are only interested in rating, not actual reporters that may be interested in….you know….facts. I’m sure each interview had a list of questions that could be asked and questions were provided ahead of time, or no deal.

Scripted PR and nothing more.

11. captainspaulding22 says: Jan 21, 2013 11:17 AM

The kid is telling the truth, and is understandably embarrassed about what happened.

The people at deadspin and the rest of the media trying to attack Manti should be even more ashamed of the way they are jumping to conclusions to assassinate his character. Hack journalism at its finest. Welcome to 2013!

12. rajbais says: Jan 21, 2013 11:42 AM

Hopefully she doesn’t ask him about newspapers and what he reads.

Also, he better not say I can see Guam from my backyard.

13. daddyb1gdrawz says: Jan 21, 2013 11:56 AM

Is this really happening? I still fail to see the interest in this guy. Obviously there is nothing else to talk about. Now is the time when I need Toyota’s to start a massive recall to deflect from this story.

14. mogogo1 says: Jan 21, 2013 11:57 AM

Just a continuing disaster for the guy. Back when he should have said something he was silent, now when his continued inconsistencies just make him look dumb or a liar he can’t shut up.

His story has officially become: “I’m so dumb it never occurred to me she wasn’t real despite being repeatedly rebuffed in my efforts to see her…but I still lied to my family about having met her for unexplainable reasons. And I’m such a self-centered clod that it never occurred to me to visit her in the hospital or attend the funeral.”

He’d get more sympathy if he just came clean and admitted he was in on it and got carried away.

15. upperdecker19 says: Jan 21, 2013 12:07 PM

I thought Regis “Touchdown Jesus” Philbin would come out of retirement to help a Notre Damer out of this mess

16. nananatman says: Jan 21, 2013 1:46 PM

Who cares.

17. rajbais says: Jan 21, 2013 5:06 PM

You know, she looks better in that picture than anyone of his invisible girlfriends.

18. mazblast says: Jan 21, 2013 10:10 PM

captainspaulding22 says:

———————————–
    If Groucho were still alive, he’d be embarrassed that anyone using one of his characters’ names would indulge in such stupidity.

BTW, you didn’t mention which truth he is telling. The one where they met after the Stanford game? The one where they never met? The one where she died? The one where she didn’t die, but called him in December? The one where she didn’t exist? He has already had so many versions of the story that it is impossible to believe any of them.