Talib loved being a Patriot, but doesn’t know if it will last

Aqib Talib AP

Patriots cornerback Aqib Talib said Monday he loved being a Patriot, but he’s far from knowing whether he’s going to stay a Patriot.

The cornerback who was acquired in exchange for a fourth-round pick is headed to unrestricted free agency, and he said it was simply too soon to know where that might lead.

I’m not really worried about all that right now,” Talib said, via Field Yates of ESPNBoston.com. “Like you said, the game was 12 hours ago. I’m in the training room with the guys, we’re having fun right now.

“I’m still a Patriot. Free agency doesn’t start ’til March, so until then I’m still a Patriot and just enjoying my time.”

Asked if his preference was to return, Talib replied: “That’s the business side of the business. I definitely enjoyed being a Patriot.”

“Man, I had a lot of fun here man. Definitely enjoyed my time here, we’ll see what happens in the future, but I definitely had the most fun I’ve had playing football in a long time here.”

Likewise, Patriots coach Bill Belichick wasn’t ready to touch that topic.

“All the things I said about Aqib, I meant and I still feel that way,” Belichick said. “Nothing has changed, but I can’t put into place an entire plan for the team at this point in time. There’s just not enough information; it’s too early.

“And again, as I said, I don’t think you can, as much as you want to just go case by case and list each guy and what his deal is, I think that there is some of that, no question — but at the same time, when you’re trying to put together a team, you’ve got to look at the entire team before you just say, ‘OK, well, we want to try to keep this guy. Well, we don’t want to keep this guy’ or ‘We want to try to get somebody else,’ or whatever. You’ve got to look at the entire context of the team and not just take it one guy, piece by piece. I don’t think that’s the way you put together an entire football team. You’ve got to see the big picture and how it all fits together and there are a lot of factors that go into that. That’s why it takes some time.”

Losing Talib to what was announced as a thigh injury last night underscored what was evident before they acquired him in midseason. If not Talib, the Patriots are going to have to invest with someone like him, or at least someone with his physical skills and not the off-field questions.

Permalink 20 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New England Patriots, Rumor Mill
20 Responses to “Talib loved being a Patriot, but doesn’t know if it will last”
  1. ravenator says: Jan 21, 2013 1:35 PM

I assume Pat fans will now make excuses as if he were playing the whole game the outcome would somehow be different.

2. ruggyup says: Jan 21, 2013 1:38 PM

A contract with Talib is an investment in guaranteed uncertainty.

3. orakpownd says: Jan 21, 2013 1:38 PM

“That’s the business side of the business”.

4. noring4youstill says: Jan 21, 2013 1:39 PM

If he’s smart he Stays

5. themagicfanguy says: Jan 21, 2013 1:46 PM

Their the most successful team in the league in recent memory, they don’t need excuses. Losses happen. They’re already getting ready to win another 10-14 games and make a deep playoff run next year.

6. damnsureis says: Jan 21, 2013 1:48 PM

They need to resign him. They are a much better team with him on the field. And hopefully Dennard will continue to improve.

7. chief67 says: Jan 21, 2013 1:51 PM

I think this guy is pretty good , but to often injured .

8. jboogie82 says: Jan 21, 2013 1:52 PM

If the Patriots don’t want Aquib, I’d be happy if the Dolphins sign him. But knowing Jeff Ireland, I think he’s gonna botch this draft and free agency. Talib does have talent though and it was evident when he was out there last night. As soon as he got injured, the Ravens were able to move the ball a lot more.

9. bleedgreen says: Jan 21, 2013 1:54 PM

Talib’s problems were almost never during the season/with the team. It was when he went home and continued his bad ways. If Belichick can convince him to stay in NE all winter, he should be OK.

10. mpnieland says: Jan 21, 2013 2:09 PM

If he takes a reasonable deal to stay (which would be smart for him), I think they just need to draft a CB or Safety to play opposite him. Dennard looked good, but to bolster depth they should draft someone who can play CB or Saftey. McCourty is a better fit there too. I think they need to give up on Chung because he never stays healthy and it’s not like he’s amazing when he’s in there either.

A good, versatile young player who can play either position would help us with injury or ineffectiveness from the current cast.

They’ll be back next year, and assuming their luck with health is better than this year, they’ll be a lot tougher out.

11. east96st says: Jan 21, 2013 2:14 PM

I can’t believe the Pats would want him. Remember this is the guy Hakeem Nicks absolutely destroyed on one leg while the replacement refs let Talib hang all over him. Nicks was banged up all year and only had 692 yards receiving for the season. 199 of those yards came against Talib – and you can, literally, see Nicks limping during the game! I understand NE bringing him in for a mid-season patch for their D, but keeping him? Watch the Giants vs Tampa game NE fans and ask yourself if you want this guy long term.

12. patsfiend says: Jan 21, 2013 2:18 PM

This guy can play, but injuries seem to loom. And yes, him going down definitely had an affect on the secondary last night. Is it THE reason they lost? No. Just one of many.

I think he’s going to shoot for top money, and someone else is going to give it to him… probably the same for him and Welker. I don’t like it, but that’s my prediction.

13. CKL says: Jan 21, 2013 2:32 PM

ravenator says: Jan 21, 2013 1:35 PM

________________________________
    I’m a Pats fan, and I won’t. Do you always want your team to be 100% healthy? Of course, who wouldn’t. Sure it might have changed things a little, but that was going to be a butt whooping by Balt either way.

As a fan of the game, not my Pats, I can say that performance by Balt was how football should be played, congrats and hats off.

You might want to learn how to win with a little more graciousness.

The biggest thing Talib did besides adding his own skills was allow McCourty to play safety but last night DMac stayed at safety and they still couldn’t handle Balt. Some more revamping is needed on this team on bth sides of the ball if they want to make it to the next level.

14. kcflake says: Jan 21, 2013 2:43 PM

Bring him to KC! The Chiefs could use him.

15. Nofoolnodrool says: Jan 21, 2013 2:59 PM

Funny that a raven fan would bring up Talibs absence having an impact and not a Pats fan..insecure about how you won or just be classless winner

16. flash1283 says: Jan 21, 2013 3:00 PM

ast96st says: Jan 21, 2013 2:14 PM

Yeah we get, he had a bad game vs the Giants.
    We have only seen this same reference about 100 times on PFT.

The fact is when he was on the field he made the defense better. It allowed them to play more man, it allowed them to do more blitzing it also allowed them to move McCourty To saftey.

Look no one is saying that he is Revis but he was a solid upgrade. He is a big physical CB who can match up with the other teams best WR.

17. ravenmuscle says: Jan 21, 2013 3:16 PM

The Ravens will be back next year and without all the injuries to Suggs and Ladarius Webb and Ngata be stronger than ever and win 14 games EASY and win a third Superbowl.
    Next years’ walk through the palyoffs will be a piece of cake.

18. fearthehoody says: Jan 21, 2013 3:20 PM

Huge difference when on the field! More of Talib and less of Arrington is a great thing

19. dtr3e says: Jan 21, 2013 4:02 PM

I say the jets sign him and trade Revis

20. guvsta says: Jan 21, 2013 4:26 PM

In other words: thank you for rebuilding my career. Now I want loads of money.