Ed Reed: Brady apologized for slide

Baltimore Ravens free safety Ed Reed (20) jumps over a sliding New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady during the second quarter in the NFL AFC Championship football game in Foxborough Reuters

Ravens safety Bernard Pollard has been banging the drum to get the NFL to discipline Patriots quarterback Tom Brady for a slide during the AFC Championship Game, a play that Brady has since apologized for making.

Pollard thought that Brady intentionally tried to kick Ravens safety Ed Reed at the end of a run when he slid with his right leg higher than you’d expect to see on such a play. During a radio interview with WJZ in Baltimore, Reed said that he heard from Brady after the game about the slide in question.

“We talked actually not too long ago, we talked on the phone. He actually reached out to me, texted me,” Reed said, via ESPNBoston.com. “I tried to text him back, but the message exploded after 12 seconds, so I had to call him … and he’s just apologized and what not. But I told him, ‘You know, it’s good, man.'”

Reed went on to say that he doesn’t think Brady is a dirty player and that “emotions get going in the game.” NFL spokesman Greg Aiello told the website Tuesday that “any play of that nature is routinely reviewed” so Pollard might yet get his wish granted.

Permalink 84 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Baltimore Ravens, New England Patriots, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
84 Responses to “Ed Reed: Brady apologized for slide”
  1. mgscott says: Jan 22, 2013 5:41 PM

Don’t worry Ed. Ray Ray will deal with him someday.

2. infectorman says: Jan 22, 2013 5:41 PM

Well well well.

What do the obnoxious Raven fans have to say about that?

Disclaimer: Notice I said “Obnoxious Raven Fans”, not the normal ones that refrain from railing on Brady every chance they get because they are wildly jealous of him.

3. buckeyefan1026 says: Jan 22, 2013 5:41 PM

“I tried to text him back, but the message exploded after 12 seconds”

It seems the gadgets from Mission Impossible are being implemented into the NFL.

4. mrhojorisin says: Jan 22, 2013 5:43 PM

mgscott says:
    Jan 22, 2013 5:41 PM
    Don’t worry Ed. Ray Ray will deal with him someday.

Do you mean he’ll kill him?

5. tigerlilac says: Jan 22, 2013 5:44 PM

There was no contact, no foul.

I looked at Brady’d wife and smiled. Do I need to apologize to my wife?

6. moagecu says: Jan 22, 2013 5:45 PM

the obnoxious raven fans will say, he only apologized because he got caught playing dirty.

7. braven4evr says: Jan 22, 2013 5:46 PM

That’s good for him because the league definately isn’t going to do anything to their golden boy!

8. towniesman says: Jan 22, 2013 5:47 PM

9. seabreezes51 says: Jan 22, 2013 5:48 PM

Ed Reed took out Jason Kelces knee and finished him for the season with a very shabby block from behind.
    Just sayin’

10. unbreakable02215 says: Jan 22, 2013 5:50 PM

Congrats to the Ravens. They did a great job other
    night in 2nd half. Good luck against 9ers.

11. Ted Skroback says: Jan 22, 2013 5:50 PM

Its Tom Brady and the story dies, if it’s Suh the story lives on!

12. briang123 says: Jan 22, 2013 5:52 PM

C’mon now. Brady isn’t RGIII. He doesn’t have the athletic ability to spike anyone purposely.

13. contract says: Jan 22, 2013 5:53 PM

It’s very nice of Brady … to apologize for trying to wreck Ed Reed’s knee with a cheap shot.

14. clownsfan says: Jan 22, 2013 5:53 PM

Ed Reed: G.O.A.T.

15. Nofoolnodrool says: Jan 22, 2013 5:54 PM

When the players involved settle things in such a classy way it is as it should be…vintage whinnies such as Pollard could learn something from Mr Reed…you have my respect Mr Reed…good luck in the SB.

16. mazblast says: Jan 22, 2013 5:54 PM

If a Patriot is involved, an apology is all that’s necessary. Bob Kraft has probably already instructed Roger Goodell to forego the usual fine.

17. giantssb42champs says: Jan 22, 2013 5:55 PM

I love Pollard. Next year his Pats target will be Belicheat. Maybe he can roll into him off a sideline tackle and take his legs out!

18. jakec4 says: Jan 22, 2013 5:55 PM

infectorman says: Jan 22, 2013 5:41 PM

Well well well.

What do the obnoxious Raven fans have to say about that?

—————————————————————-

That if Brady didn’t do anything wrong what is he apologizing for?

19. getcarsond says: Jan 22, 2013 5:56 PM

The message blew up after 12 seconds…lmao! Tom don’t play around….

20. noeffinway says: Jan 22, 2013 5:56 PM

Somewhere, Suh is shaking his head, with a slight grin.

21. dowhatifeellike says: Jan 22, 2013 5:58 PM

Did he also call Pats fans to apologize for sucking?

22. geniusfan says: Jan 22, 2013 5:59 PM

Never will understand why people call Brady classless, the guy has always owned his mistakes and put the blame on himself. The guy has never called out or blamed his teammates or coaches once.

I think Belichick’s antics sometimes make it so the Patriots players get labeled as “arrogant” and “classless” but the players on the Patriots are almost always classy and humble in defeat.

I know it’s not a popular opinion and that many people hate the Patriots but if your going to call out Brady for allegedly trying to spike Ed Reed then you ought to give him some credit for apologizing for it.

23. rushmatic says: Jan 22, 2013 5:59 PM

Ted Skroback says:

Its Tom Brady and the story dies, if it’s Suh the story lives on!

___________

There’s a difference between game-time emotions and emotionally-unstable-Suh. If you can’t see this, then I don’t know what to tell you. Brady isn’t crashing cars, running from cops, etc., in his spare time.

24. boyshole25 says: Jan 22, 2013 6:00 PM

He’s just uncoordinated not malicious

25. rushmatic says: Jan 22, 2013 6:00 PM

Reed, especially after this year, should understand emotions in a game (and the fines which inevitably follow).

26. wikidpissah says: Jan 22, 2013 6:00 PM

Ed Reed has class, Bernard Pollard, not so much

27. steelbreeze676 says: Jan 22, 2013 6:04 PM

OK, so as much as I’d like the Ravens to win the Super Bowl they’re obviously going to friggin lose since they’re still all bitter about the Patriots getting the better of them most of the past 10 years.

Good god, you have a big game coming up… how about switching the focus off what a dirty player Tom Brady is and wrapping your head around how to beat the 49ers.

I can’t believe the Ravens are still whining about a game they won 2 days later.

28. jpak12 says: Jan 22, 2013 6:07 PM

Two class acts at work, Brady knows he made a mistake and apologizes to Reed himself not some public crap, and doesn’t go out and inform the media to make himself look better.

Reed, knowing the heat Brady is getting from the media and fans makes the apology known, and defends Brady.

29. tommynatorii says: Jan 22, 2013 6:07 PM

Ed, come to Miami. Then you’ll have 2 shots at Brady a year!

30. vicnocal says: Jan 22, 2013 6:09 PM

Hey infectorman, it doesn’t matter if Brady apologized to Ed Reed afterwards.

That play still should’ve been a penalty and Brady should still get fined.

Whether or not a player is dirty or not, or apologizes or doesn’t, is not the criterion for deciding if a play is a penalty/fine or not.

31. dowhatifeellike says: Jan 22, 2013 6:09 PM

infectorman says:
    Jan 22, 2013 5:41 PM
    Well well well.

What do the obnoxious Raven fans have to say about that?

—-

Those “wildly jealous” fans have seen Flacco outplay Brady in their last three meetings.

32. AB in DC says: Jan 22, 2013 6:09 PM

class act by both Reed and Brady here. None of the attention-grabbing, kicking and screaming that we usually see in the media…

33. wikidpissah says: Jan 22, 2013 6:12 PM

clownsfan says: Jan 22, 2013 5:53 PM

Ed Reed: G.O.A.T.
    ================================

Ed Reed is great, but Ronnie Lott is the greatest I’ve ever seen.

34. jtchernak says: Jan 22, 2013 6:14 PM

Come to the patriots please

35. dyhrdpatsfan says: Jan 22, 2013 6:15 PM

Is that good enough for all of you? Reed will be a Patriot next year anyways. Now get over it.

36. skleech22 says: Jan 22, 2013 6:17 PM

It amazes me Patriot fans throwing out the word “OBNOXIOUS”!! Boy, that’s calling the kettle black!

37. btwicey says: Jan 22, 2013 6:18 PM

Well said Ed

38. peytonsneck18 says: Jan 22, 2013 6:18 PM

the patriots are DONE!!!!

39. Deb says: Jan 22, 2013 6:23 PM

Personally, I don’t think Brady was trying to kick Reed because that would be stupid and Brady isn’t stupid. He’s too protective of himself to risk hurting his leg or ticking off Reed. Suh, on the other hand, has a history of this stuff. But … if the league is going to play mind-reader and fine the defensive player, the league should fine the offensive player. I’m tired of the double standard. Nice of Brady to call Reed, though.

40. aljack88 says: Jan 22, 2013 6:23 PM

jakec4 says:
    Jan 22, 2013 5:55 PM
    infectorman says: Jan 22, 2013 5:41 PM

Well well well.

What do the obnoxious Raven fans have to say about that?

—————————————————————-

That if Brady didn’t do anything wrong what is he apologizing for?

————————————————–

so, when Ed Reed has made apologies in the past for “illegal” hits, they weren’t accidental – he really intended to do them. Ok

41. pinion8ted says: Jan 22, 2013 6:26 PM

contract says:Jan 22, 2013 5:53 PM

———————————————————
    Around New England, we call that a “Pollard”.

42. sabatimus says: Jan 22, 2013 6:28 PM

I’m a Pats fan, and when I saw Brady lift his cleat my first thought was “What the hell are you doing, Tom? If you connect with that that ought to be 15″.

43. misterchainbluelightning says: Jan 22, 2013 6:28 PM

So he’s admitting that he has something to apologize for, classy, and still a fine. But good for Brady to fess up and let Ed know he was sorry for it.

44. flash1283 says: Jan 22, 2013 6:30 PM

peytonsneck18 says:
    Jan 22, 2013 6:18 PM
    the patriots are DONE!!!!

If by “done” you mean this year then yes.

If by “done” you mean for next season then no.

I mean come on, how many times have we heard this from the haters.

45. TheWizard says: Jan 22, 2013 6:32 PM

I like the move. Hope he uses it next year.

The spike, not the apology.

46. dlw492 says: Jan 22, 2013 6:34 PM

If I wanted Ed Reed on my team next season, I would apologize as well… Ravens won’t resign this guy (which is a shame)

47. jagsfan1 says: Jan 22, 2013 6:37 PM

Hey guys…can we just stop all the arguing and try to at least agree on something?

THE PATRIOTS LOST

48. db105 says: Jan 22, 2013 6:40 PM

Brady is just a common guy when it comes to sliding.

49. dallascowboysdishingthereal says: Jan 22, 2013 6:48 PM

Text exploded in 12 seconds? I’m just surprised these guys on opposing teams text each other. Shouldn’t an apology come in a phone call anyway instead of a text?

50. wicky888 says: Jan 22, 2013 6:51 PM

I love these apologies are always via text message. Do they all have each others numbers or something? Is there some sort of secret NFL phone book?

51. dankkc says: Jan 22, 2013 7:00 PM

Funny how Pollard destroyed Bradys knee five yrs ago, and gets fined every other week and is the judge of dirty players, what a idiot, he plays with a murderer with six kids and four divorces. Qbs get chipped all the time even when they slide, so its hard to say if it was just a reaction or maybe it was intentional but either way Pollard is a hard hitting idiot who needs to keep his mouth shut, I mean he got a penalty for talking to a coach on the Broncos, just shut up man!

52. hor2012 says: Jan 22, 2013 7:01 PM

I finally saw the play. I don’t know but if he said he’s sorry, I don’t know whatelse he needs to do

53. dankkc says: Jan 22, 2013 7:05 PM

Any Ravens fans talking trash just remember you didnt beat Denver, they beat themselves, you guys were dead, it was a miracle, dont act like your 90s cowboys, or 80s niners, you got lucky, lol, and will probably get ran in the super bowl.

54. bullcharger says: Jan 22, 2013 7:05 PM

So what if Brady is fined. Even the kicker on the Patriots was fined for a horse collar. Lots of guys get fined. It doesn’t matter. It’s only news because the Ravens are still focused on the Patriots even though they already won the game. They should let it go and worry about the Super Bowl. For you Ravens fans, if your team lose the next game it will feel a lot worse than it did last year in the AFC championship game. Trust me.

55. bucslose says: Jan 22, 2013 7:08 PM

Im still trying to figure out what he meant when he said the message exploded….

What does that even mean?

56. theclaim says: Jan 22, 2013 7:12 PM

wikidpissah says:
    Jan 22, 2013 6:12 PM
    clownsfan says: Jan 22, 2013 5:53 PM

Ed Reed: G.O.A.T.
    ================================

Ed Reed is great, but Ronnie Lott is the greatest I’ve ever seen.

Go to YouTube and search The Legend of Sean. Reed is GREAT Lott was GREAT. NOONE played like Sean Taylor. Brady apologized in essence admitting guilt in the kick slide. Big deal? No

57. bullcharger says: Jan 22, 2013 7:30 PM

dankkc says:Jan 22, 2013 7:05 PM

—————

I have to defend the Ravens there. That’s not true. It doesn’t matter how you win. The final score is all that matters. The better team won in Denver and they also beat the Patriots (although it sucked) and played a great game. The Ravens deserve to be in the Super Bowl. However, they shouldn’t be worried about the Patriots anymore. It’s history.

58. bullcharger says: Jan 22, 2013 7:35 PM

skleech22 says:Jan 22, 2013 6:17 PM

———————

Fans of any teams that win all the time are mostly obnoxious. Yankee fans are the worst. Cowboys fans and Phins fans used to drive me crazy. I agree many Patriots fans are obnoxious. It’s great to have a team that wins and it’s a lot better than what the franchise used to be. It’s fun to be obnoxious while we still can!

59. swagger91 says: Jan 22, 2013 7:52 PM

He didnt do it on purpose ive benn a pats fan since drew bledsoe last year as a starter…i kno my team strong points and weak points and I kno my qb..tom brady has a great arm but throws downward thus causing the ball dat got tipped to go way in the air…he got awesome pocket presence but when he leaves itz a different story..yall seen him run into ref and he couldnt get past ngata..he didnt mean to kick ed reed he just cant slide AT ALL ive benn watchin him for 12 years I kno

60. CKL says: Jan 22, 2013 7:55 PM

jakec4 says: Jan 22, 2013 5:55 PM

infectorman says: Jan 22, 2013 5:41 PM

Well well well.

What do the obnoxious Raven fans have to say about that?

—————————————————————-

That if Brady didn’t do anything wrong what is he apologizing for?

__________________________________

How about if he apologized to make sure Reed knew he wasn’t trying to do it intentionally to hurt him but it was instinct to protect himself?
    But nooo…that makes no difference to people who already have their minds made up.
    He also screamed at a ref vs Hou then apologized right away. But again…this will make no difference to people who want to hate him.
    I don’t care if they want to fine him if they deem it illegal. But people acting like this is anything like Suh and all his many antics is silly.

61. clownsfan says: Jan 22, 2013 8:00 PM

@ wikidpissah

I also like/appreciate Ronnie. But if I needed ONE guy for ONE game I’m takin’ Ed. He makes it look sooooo easy.

62. alskdh says: Jan 22, 2013 8:06 PM

As a Patriots Fan,

I cannot rememebr a time when things took such a devestating toll on the organization and its image, probably not since 2007, and then 2008 when we had the same team going against the easiest schedule in the NFL.

This one will hurt for a long, long time. A ring next year will not even be the answer.

I think in order to save face for Tom and The Patriots, he has to go out with 2 more SB rings.

63. noahbird says: Jan 22, 2013 8:26 PM

Hopefully Reed plays Brady twice a year til retirement in Miami.

64. themackstrong says: Jan 22, 2013 8:32 PM

Ed Reed you can tell its a brotherhood to him out there and has respect. Pollard is out for blood but it pays off for his team. The Patriots were looking over their shoulder every pass and Ridley is still catching his zzzzzz’s from a legal hit/fumble.

65. jtchernak says: Jan 22, 2013 8:38 PM

@alskdh What are you talking about? I’m a patriots fan and obviously it hurts but saying losing this game took a devastating to our organization is foolish and a typical overreaction like the idiotic new England media. We will be back hopefully healthy and we both know a ring will cleanse the mind

66. metitometin says: Jan 22, 2013 8:52 PM

When will the Ravens apologize for all their dirty cheap shots, for all their classless hot dogging and for all their all around moronic ramblings?

67. lovefootball4life says: Jan 22, 2013 9:28 PM

“Played a lot of games since my brothers death and I never received as many rude tweets after a win than Sunday…yet NE fans cry about class ”

From Torrey Smith who was taunted about his brothers death from Pats fans. Nice. Way to demonstrate class.

68. cundiffsboot says: Jan 22, 2013 9:44 PM

What I dont understand is why he shouldnt get fined. Defensive players dont purposely hit helmet to helmet. That would be dumb because of the harsh penalty. yet when they accidentally do it, they get fined, to teach them to tackle lower. The NFL uses it as a learning lesson. So even if Brady did it on accident (which i dont think he did, it looked dirty to me) he still should be fined as a lesson on how to slide properly without hurting people.

69. ravensnation21 says: Jan 22, 2013 10:00 PM

70. cryeaglescry2020 says: Jan 22, 2013 10:10 PM

What’s the emoticon for “my message exploded after 12 seconds”?

71. matthewcarlson1 says: Jan 22, 2013 10:13 PM

Respect to Brady for reaching out personally instead of an “official statement.”

72. hawkeye6 says: Jan 22, 2013 11:20 PM

Brady’s credibility on this is in question because it seems he apologized after he was called out on it. Regardless, he DID apologize, admitting he did something wrong, which the entire country saw on live national television.

Brady did the right thing apologizing, whether genuine, or sorry he was caught, however a fine should still follow. Suh received a $30,000 fine for something similar. The only difference is that Suh connected, and Brady (fortunately) did not come in contact with Reed.

73. pappert says: Jan 23, 2013 12:36 AM

Brady is a smart, smart man. Whether he did it on purpose or not apologizing before anything happens makes his seem like that angel yet again!

I hate the patriots with all of my heart, but my god I respect them. They beat my favorite team in the superbowl.

I truely feel privledged to watching Tom Tear up team after team throughout the years and how hyped he gets after every score regardless what the scoreboard shows.

74. questforthesixthnotthelast2013 says: Jan 23, 2013 12:46 AM

From san fran, im sorry bout the patriots not meeting us in the superbowl, they shoulda been there to hand the baton to the niners for the top org in the league. Oh well, niners will just payback the ravens for asuming they are still top dog over the patriots.. your team is going to retire like half the defense and replace like half the offense int the offseason, age is only good with wine! Suggs looks like he back on the juice but other than that they dont have much but rice and torre smith and that one guy on the right side of the dl that gets decent push into the backfield. Take a lesson from S.F. treat your defeated opponent like the guy you pass on the freeway, and forget about it, only look back fpr position

75. badintent says: Jan 23, 2013 2:13 AM

A Gmen fan here. Brady is a clumsy goof with a rocket arm. He is so clumsy that all he and Giselle do is the missionary position.

But him trying to kick Reed ? Are you kidding me ? Hope he did it ,Reed is dirty , cheapshot player and had it coming . Reed should have been tossed for 4 games for all his head shots this season.Go NFC in SB

76. wkdblc52 says: Jan 23, 2013 3:41 AM

yeah, Golden Boy apologized, big whoopin’ deal ! But the NFL has no problem fining Ed for at least a half dozen chicken sh*t calls in the last few years, this is football dammit, play it like it was intented to be years ago. I wonder what Ronnie Lott, Deacon, Butkus, Nitschke, Lilly, and countless other legends would think of today’s NFL.

And what of Night Train Lane and “his” tackling prowess, best secondary man along with Lott I ever saw compete !!

77. bradyisbest says: Jan 23, 2013 6:24 AM

enough with bernie,ed and the slasher……does terrell suggs look like some sort of science experiment where they took a midgets head and sewed it onto a pro wrestlers body?or is it just me?

78. sudz28 says: Jan 23, 2013 7:00 AM

It was a rare instance of Ed Reed hurdling someone else for a change!

79. Akula says: Jan 23, 2013 7:45 AM

The 49ers are coming to get you Ravens….be scared…..be very scared.

80. swagger52 says: Jan 23, 2013 8:17 AM

So typical…

Baltimore gets penalized during the game when their is no foul, but the league doesn’t hand out fines because nothing was illegal. CBS reviews the play in slow motion.

New England gets no penalty during the game when there is a foul, tripping, helmet to helmet on fair catch, and CBS has no slow motion replay.

Yet New England thinks everything is even…Sorry.. Forget the “I am sorry”. I really don’t care if Tom Brady is sorry. I really don’t care if he is fined. I care about the lopsided coverage that I have to deal with with CBS – official network of the NE Patriots and the Referees that attempt to tuck the game.

81. swagger52 says: Jan 23, 2013 8:23 AM

Baltimore Ravens fans will apologize…
    When all the Patriot fans apologize for the

Tuck Rule that gave Brady his first SB

The constant bogus illegal contact calls that give Brady first down after a 3rd down incompletion. (just rewind to the Baltimore game during your 19-1 dream season.)

The kicking and helmet to helmet that never gets called on the Patriots

The illegal holding that Patriots CBs have done to win SB, that they supposedly changed the rules for the rest of the league, but still not for the Patriots.

Patriot Fans are getting to be as SMUG as Brady. Lets drop the Pharisee talk, and just stick to what happens to keep the game fair on Sundays.

82. justwannawinna says: Jan 23, 2013 9:20 AM

The patriots are definitely not humble in victory. See after chargers AFC playoff game electric slide.
    It was classy on Reed to come out and mention Bradys apology and not let him take heat.

83. bspurloc says: Jan 23, 2013 9:22 AM

“How long after Pollard is retired is he suing the NFL for head shots…..phoney moron”

try looking at the Hit, it is on youtube in slow mo.
    Ridley is the one that bulled his helmet into the left ear of pollard. pollard is the one that should have gotten knocked out.

84. jgava19 says: Jan 23, 2013 9:27 AM

Didn’t patriots hire back Stallworth who killed a pedestrian all drunk? Yea, that’s what I thought. Patriots brass have no problem with people who take others lives.