Gregg Williams can look for work, but isn’t reinstated

File photo of New Orleans Saints' Gregg Williams watching his team prepare for their NFL football game against Tampa Bay Buccaneers in New Orleans Reuters

While Sean Payton was allowed back into the NFL today, Gregg Williams is still waiting.

Williams, who was suspended indefinitely for his role in the bounty scandal that cost Payton a year, can apply for work, however.

A source told Nakia Hogan of the New Orleans Times-Picayune that Williams is free to look for another job. If he’s able to convince someone to give him one, then Commissioner Roger Goodell will decide whether to reinstate him.

Good luck with that, Gregg.

The Rams have moved on, having fired Gregg’s son Blake, and interviewed Rob Ryan for the defensive coordinator job they didn’t fill after Williams was suspended.

It would take either a a spectacularly bold coach or a relative to put his neck on the line for Williams right now, so the fact he’s being allowed to look for work doesn’t necessarily mean he’s about to be employed again.

Permalink 24 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill
24 Responses to “Gregg Williams can look for work, but isn’t reinstated”
  1. helloanybodyhome says: Jan 22, 2013 6:58 PM

He always looks like he’s wearing one of those visors with fake gray hair on top

2. alonestartexan says: Jan 22, 2013 6:59 PM

Cut the man a break, I’m sure he’s learned his lesson…

3. marcinhouston says: Jan 22, 2013 7:02 PM

Or it would take some leverage on someone who would rather he not write a tell all book to pay the bills. Williams coached a lot of places before New Orleans, its hard to believe he just dreamed up bounties 20 years into his career as blitz-happy defensive coach, and a new job would keep the full story from coming out and damaging other reputations including that of the commish who portrayed bounties as an isolated issue with one team.

4. FinFan68 says: Jan 22, 2013 7:04 PM

Was he ever officially fired by Fisher and the Rams?

5. 25cuts says: Jan 22, 2013 7:08 PM

Hello Gregg, eagles on the phone

6. badintent says: Jan 22, 2013 7:09 PM

CFL. bring thermal underwear Gregg

7. sixjak says: Jan 22, 2013 7:10 PM

Kaboom!!!

8. mdac1012 says: Jan 22, 2013 7:13 PM

How can the players in the locker room trust the guy?

9. bleedgreen says: Jan 22, 2013 7:18 PM

Part of me would like to see him come to Philly, but thats because his units have been very good wherever he’s gone… then I come to my senses and realize I don’t want this scumbag anywhere near my team.

10. bartlettruss says: Jan 22, 2013 7:22 PM

The one thing I’ll never forget from this whole mess is Williams’ ultra-creepy audio recording before the San Francisco game. Anyone who hasn’t heard it needs to.

He demanded that his players play dirty in order to inflict injury. He doesn’t mention bounties and I get that, but what he DID say was reprehensible. He doesn’t belong in football.

11. johnclaytonsponytail says: Jan 22, 2013 7:25 PM

If he went to the Eagles that would be scary.

12. rajbais says: Jan 22, 2013 7:53 PM

Dennis Allen should just hire him. He is better than any defensive Coordinator choice that they currently have. Those two worked together in New Orleans.

He can wake up that team if reinstated. Unlike Reggie McKenzie Williams won’t put you to sleep.

13. maddenisfordorks says: Jan 22, 2013 8:18 PM

GM of the jets

14. brintfatre says: Jan 22, 2013 8:22 PM

Guys like him are common in NY, welcome to the J-E-T-S!

15. brenenostler says: Jan 22, 2013 8:25 PM

I’m sure the Saints would gladly take him back. Classless organization. Lets Spags go to a better team.

16. drgreenstreak says: Jan 22, 2013 9:07 PM

Williams should go introduce football to Russia.

17. redstar504 says: Jan 22, 2013 9:32 PM

The guy sold his players down the river. Think about for a second, I mean really think about that.

I’m a Saints fan and after last year I wouldn’t mind Williams coming back but that’s just it, I’m a FAN. If I were a PLAYER I wouldn’t play for him.

I admit I look at this issue thru black and gold glasses and I am convinced the Saints weren’t doing any anything different than other teams were and even at that laying down big hits is a defenders job after-all; what’s done is done so that is neither here nor there.

The specter of Williams not being able to coach at the NFL level is here because players won’t play for someone that says do X, Y, & Z but when you get caught I am going to say I never said do X, Y & Z. It’s your fault not mine!

He could get a job in the NCAA or HSFB where guys will see him as someone who knows what it takes to get to the NFL so they MAY respect him. NFL players WON’T RESPECT him.

It stinks because he is a good coach that gets the most out of what he’s given. Look what he pulled out of a unit that finished a historic dead last with practically the exact same personnel. You can’t doubt his passion for his profession either. The SF speech he got vilified for is the same ra-ra junk coaches have been telling players since the game was invented but in today’s open mike/PC society it isn’t accepted but it is still said.

It’s a sad story, a good coach will go without a job, but if the players won’t play for you there is no getting around that.

18. jdhein22 says: Jan 22, 2013 9:38 PM

I find it surprising that he isn’t in higher demand. Didn’t his last team, “coordinated” by his son, slow down and frustrate the 49ers and Kaepernick twice (to a 1-0-1 record)? Seems short sighted not to tap into his experience and perspective. Especially if his defensive philosophy and gameplan is the kryptonite to the newest, greatest, bestest thing in the NFL.

19. turfrage says: Jan 22, 2013 9:59 PM

They need to reinstate so Fisher can fire him and hire someone else. Until they do that, the Rams are legally hand-tied. Fisher didn’t hold his spot in case he got to return, he legally couldn’t do anything either way.

20. Keith says: Jan 22, 2013 9:59 PM

bartlettruss says: Jan 22, 2013 7:22 PM

————————————————————
    Have you ever played football? I played for years before injuring my back and having to quit in high school, and on just about every team I ever played on, I heard those exact words (or ones close to them). It was not, I repeat, NOT about going out and hurting people. It was about firing up a team to go out and play, as one coach put it, “ten tenths”, or in other words, go out and beat the other team.

21. 4thqtrsaint says: Jan 22, 2013 10:09 PM

Sure seems like people are madder about Payton than Williams.

22. folkcrusader says: Jan 22, 2013 10:38 PM

Is it me or does that picture make it look like he’s been overdosing on estrogen?

23. tmar1961 says: Jan 22, 2013 11:51 PM

So Williams stays unable to work and Peyton, the HC who is responsible for his coaches and players, is reinstated, somehow I knew he would be the scapegoat. Bounty/Incentive programs were prevalent in the NFL for decades and even allowed by the NFL, ESPN even aired a segment on it.
    Let the man go back to work.

24. Raider-in-PA says: Jan 23, 2013 7:54 AM

Wow, looking at that picture I didnt realize that Billy Jean King gained all that weight! Also didnt realize that she was a Saints fan!