Panthers hire Ken Dorsey as quarterbacks coach

Cleveland Browns v Philadelphia Eagles Getty Images

The Carolina Panthers have promoted from within to fill yet another position on their coaching staff.

According to Joseph Person of the Charlotte Observer, the Panthers have promoted pro scout Ken Dorsey to the role of quarterbacks coach. Dorsey takes the role offensive coordinator Mike Shula previously held. Shula was promoted to offensive coordinator following the departure of Rob Chudzinski to the Cleveland Browns.

Dorsey has served in the Panthers scouting department for the last two seasons. Dorsey played six seasons in the NFL with the San Francisco 49ers and Cleveland Browns and a year in the CFL with the Toronto Argonauts before retiring and moving to a scouting role.

Permalink 10 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Carolina Panthers, Home, Rumor Mill
10 Responses to “Panthers hire Ken Dorsey as quarterbacks coach”
  1. cfrs15 says: Jan 22, 2013 11:53 PM

Great hire.

2. whatchutalkinabouthillis says: Jan 23, 2013 12:04 AM

Dorsey had an important 3rd quarterback mentoring role when he was with the Browns if I recall. He seems like he has what it takes to coach or GM. I think we’ll be hearing about him for many years.

3. sixjak says: Jan 23, 2013 12:16 AM

Well I hope he’s better at coaching the position than playing it. Having horrible flashbacks of the post dynasty dark years in SF. Ugh.

4. tigertaz27 says: Jan 23, 2013 12:16 AM

Hope he is a better coach than he was a quarterback. Just sayin’

5. sportsnut101 says: Jan 23, 2013 1:14 AM

Great at Miami. What happened

6. voiceofsweetness says: Jan 23, 2013 1:53 AM

Seems like an odd fit to have one of the least athletic QB’s I ever watched coach Newton

7. flipola says: Jan 23, 2013 2:18 AM

They’ll be learning from the best, I see.

8. huskersrock1 says: Jan 23, 2013 3:09 AM

I think Dorsey has alot to offer the Carolina quarterbacks as proven by his 55.1 lifetime QB rating and his 2100 career passing yards.

I mean sure this guy is a better choice than me, but not by much.

9. ak18346 says: Jan 23, 2013 5:52 AM

he will be messenger for Shula and can bring the experience of playing in the NFL. I think Ricky the WR coach will be a big help for Cam this year. I am ok with the coaches so far now lets make it to the playoffs and on the way fill in the spots that need to be fixed.

10. dirtyjersey9er says: Jan 23, 2013 9:18 AM

People act like players who weren’t all that good when they played never has successful careers as coaches and front office workers. Look at all the coaches and FO workers the leaguebis littered with them.