Pat White plans an NFL comeback

91007679_crop_650x440 Getty Images

With the rise of mobile quarterback, a mobile quarterback from Mobile is back in Mobile in the hopes of attracting the attention of a coach looking for a mobile quarterback.

According to Ben Volin of the Palm Beach Post, White showed up at the Senior Bowl on Monday, hoping for a chance to resume an NFL career that ended during training camp in 2010.  It’s fitting that he’d launch his comeback there, given that, four years ago, he was the star of the game.

“I’m still young.  My legs are still with me,” White said.  “I’m like a 2009 model with about 4,500 miles on it. It still runs just as smooth.”

So he’s looking for a way to get some more mileage on his tires.

“I know that I can still do it,” White said.  “I just want to come out here, shake hands, show my face and let coaches know that I’m interested.”

The suggestion that he can still do it presumes he ever could.  White, who became the first quarterback to win four bowl games during his time at West Virginia, was a disaster during his one NFL season as a second-round pick of the Dolphins, running the Wildcat with Tebow-like frequency and ultimately sustaining a concussion on what appeared to be a fairly routine hit from Steelers cornerback Ike Taylor.

To his credit, White takes the blame for his NFL failures.

“Everyone wants to point fingers as to why it didn’t work out in the NFL. I felt it was because of me,” White said. “I could’ve done a lot more film study, a lot more working on my game. Instead of being there 30 minutes after practice, be there an hour.  It’s the little things.”

Little could be the key word.  He’s not very tall, and he’s not very large, by NFL standards.  I saw him at the Baylor-West Virginia game, and we’re about the same size.

Still, he’s confident.  And with 90 offseason roster spots and a trend/fad toward mobile quarterbacks from Mobile or elsewhere, it could make sense to see if one of the best college quarterbacks of the last decade was simply a couple of years ahead of his time.

Permalink 38 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Miami Dolphins, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
38 Responses to “Pat White plans an NFL comeback”
  1. fitz66 says: Jan 22, 2013 9:51 AM

It wasn’t long ago since he was there – but in that three years the NFL has really embraced the mobile QB on a much grander scale. Someone might take a stab at it.

2. cmich2006 says: Jan 22, 2013 9:53 AM

If a tree falls in the forest, does it make a sound?

3. pencilmonkeymagic says: Jan 22, 2013 9:54 AM

An hour after practice? Russell Wilson has been turning up every morning at 5:30am since he was drafted, & they have to throw him out when they lock up at night.

Success demands more than your promised extra half-hour of attention, Pat.

4. matt14gg says: Jan 22, 2013 9:55 AM

That might be one of the funniest lines of unintentional comedy I’ve ever read. ‘…next time, instead of spending 1/2 hour after practice studying film, I’ll stay an hour…’

Wow, a whole hour! Yeah, that will get it done. That statement would just about define the term “clueless”

5. eatitfanboy says: Jan 22, 2013 9:55 AM

If he was smart, he would have spent the last two years learning how to run routes and catch passes.

6. irishphilly87 says: Jan 22, 2013 9:57 AM

If this means he goes to the Eagles for Chip Kelly’s offense I will crap my pants in disgust.

7. klutch14u says: Jan 22, 2013 9:57 AM

Your Pat White coverage is identical to Jason Whitlock and his love affair with Jeff George. These guys pay you to try and keep them relevant?

8. benroethlisberger7 says: Jan 22, 2013 9:58 AM

It would be fun to see him get knocked out a few more times.

9. Beezo-Doo-doo-Zippity-Bop-bop-bop says: Jan 22, 2013 10:01 AM

He’s about the same size as Florio? Good luck with that.

10. keepounding1234 says: Jan 22, 2013 10:02 AM

I saw the game that he got hurt in. He was trying to run and slid a little to late and he got drilled. I’m not implying it was dirty but I wouldn’t call it routine. He absolutely got mangled.

11. thetooloftools says: Jan 22, 2013 10:06 AM

Hey Philly… at leasr kick the tires on this guy.

12. scjohnny says: Jan 22, 2013 10:07 AM

You were one of the biggest reaches in Dolphin history & you didnt study enough,I was surprised how inaccurate your passes were when you played @ WV you were accurate…also the play by Ike Taylor wasn’t routine he crushed him on the sideline I was there & I was really concerned as Pat White did not move for a long time, I admire your courage good luck kid!

13. redzona says: Jan 22, 2013 10:09 AM

Hey I’m an Arizona Cardinals fan and he sounds like a better option than the current QB depth chart.

14. juanlongwang says: Jan 22, 2013 10:09 AM

This has Eagles written all over it.

15. cardiovascularendurance says: Jan 22, 2013 10:13 AM

I’m sure Ryan Clark would welcome him back.

16. pinion8ted says: Jan 22, 2013 10:14 AM

Another story of a lucky athete who didn’t take his opportunity seriously enough.

Every year, Pat, the college’s keep cranking out kids who would KILL for your opportunity (well, aside from Ray Lewis, I mean that figuratively) ….. you should have known that and done all you could to be the best you could be.

You didn’t, you tried to get by.

How’d that work out for you?

Good luck convincing teams they should invest that whole extra hour a day in you.

17. 1972wasalongtimeago says: Jan 22, 2013 10:16 AM

Every time you find yourself thinking Bill Parcells is some sort of NFL genius, just remember that Pat White (in the 2nd round) was his guy.

18. guthyrenks says: Jan 22, 2013 10:18 AM

And the play he got hurt on was probly the best play of his NFL career.

19. dezmick says: Jan 22, 2013 10:25 AM

You still have to throw the ball accurately and effectively as a QB. If you can’t then it doesn’t matter how fast you are. RG3, Kaepernick, and Wilson are good passers which make their ability to run so much more threatening. Pat White won’t last in this league without the ability to throw accurately.

20. tabdanger says: Jan 22, 2013 10:26 AM

He was a bust, but to his credit Sparano’s offense didn’t really inspire many..

21. steelbydesign says: Jan 22, 2013 10:30 AM

I remember that hit Ike put on him and it was NOT routine.

22. raidernation210 says: Jan 22, 2013 10:32 AM

who is Pat White?

23. themackstrong says: Jan 22, 2013 10:32 AM

“Routine hit” I have watched many football games in my time and I still remember the sound of that collision and the immediate reaction from players call for medical help. Pate White got jacked up

24. lightcleric says: Jan 22, 2013 10:39 AM

There was nothing routine about when he got crushed. Right after the hit the whole Steelers sideline was signaling for medical help for the guy. It was just brutal.

25. urfinished says: Jan 22, 2013 10:59 AM

There are a ton of stories like this every year, but you are throwing the WVU guy a bone.
    I can understand the loyalty, but just like the ones that aren’t happening and get zero media attention…this likely is not happening.

26. kozinsky says: Jan 22, 2013 11:27 AM

He was ahead of his time? I’m fairly sure the facination with mobile qbs was in full affect when he busted into the league.

27. gonavybeatarmy says: Jan 22, 2013 11:37 AM

He like Tebow still can’t throw. Griffin and to a slightly lesser degree Wilson and Collin K are unbelievably accurate.

28. Cereal says: Jan 22, 2013 11:41 AM

This will be interesting, he was a good one at WVU & caught the eye of many personnel guys coming into the league. Seriously though I believe there were rumors that he caught a nasty std while a Fin…..??

29. hehateme2 says: Jan 22, 2013 11:50 AM

Yes, he may still be able to run but the issue is he can’t throw.
    Maybe the jets will jump at the opportunity to add him to their mix of non-passing QB’s. LOL!

30. questforthesixthnotthelast2013 says: Jan 22, 2013 12:51 PM

I smell red and gold for white!

31. wvphil7 says: Jan 22, 2013 12:52 PM

Hilarious, what a stooge, he is first of all too dumb for the nfl and way too small. Qb’s all got bigger in the last three years Pat…. Go back to wvu and beg for a job…

32. questforthesixthnotthelast2013 says: Jan 22, 2013 12:57 PM

With Jim harbaugh the best available QB coach, i see him replacing kyle williams, Ted Ginn Jr. And Alex smith all in one.

33. thelastpieceofcheese says: Jan 22, 2013 1:26 PM

What happened to his baseball career? He was a bust there too?

34. iammrbinky says: Jan 22, 2013 1:29 PM

With the Jets fascination with former Dolphins coaches and players I wouldn’t be surprised if he gets an invite from them

35. crappygovernment says: Jan 22, 2013 2:21 PM

I’d rather have Tebow in there. He’s a successful, 8-5 starter before he was blacklisted.

Tebow would be awesome in Chip Kelly’s offense.

36. jcd213 says: Jan 22, 2013 4:38 PM

That wasn’t a routine hit… that was two guys running like hell into each other, helmet first.

I’m a phins fan so I can share my opinion that Pat White is not NFL caliber. That hit was wicked, and legal.

37. ghjjf says: Jan 22, 2013 6:41 PM

Was Pat White really trying to play in the Senior Bowl again?

38. lavon214 says: Mar 22, 2013 5:05 AM

Send Pat White to Dallas we need a change at quarterback ASAP!