Payton statement: “Mistakes were made”

Toronto Raptors v New Orleans Hornets Getty Images

As part of his Tuesday reinstatement from his year-long bounty suspension, Saints head coach Sean Payton acknowledged that something happened, and he should have stopped it.

“I am thankful today Commissioner [Roger] Goodell has granted me reinstatement,” the statement sent out by the Saints read. “As I stated back in March, I, along with Mickey Loomis, take full responsibility for all aspects of our football program.

“I clearly recognize that mistakes were made, which led to league violations.

“Furthermore, I have assured the Commissioner a more diligent protocol will be followed.

“Lastly, I feel we have learned from our mistakes and are ready to move forward. I want to thank our owner, Mr. Benson and all of our great fans for the overwhelming support throughout this past year.

“I am excited to be back as Head Coach of the New Orleans Saints!”

While Payton doesn’t strike us as a big exclamation mark guy, that’s what it says, and he’s doubtless at least very relieved.

Saints general manager Mickey Loomis seemed surprised by the timing, telling Larry Holder of the New Orleans Times-Picayune he didn’t know it was coming (which is unusual considering the Saints PR cranked out statements from Payton and owner Tom Benson within minutes of the announcement.

“We are all thankful that Sean Payton has been reinstated,” Benson’s statement read. “We have a lot of work to do and we are in the middle of it right now.

“He is our head coach and we welcome him back. We look forward to a great 2013 season and making another run at a World Championship for our fans!”

Benson’s also apparently a big expressive punctuation guy.

Of course, the timing is best for Roger Goodell, who now will be slightly less unpopular when he settles into New Orleans for a week of Super Bowl festivities.

Permalink 45 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New Orleans Saints, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
45 Responses to “Payton statement: “Mistakes were made””
  1. Chris Fiorentino says: Jan 22, 2013 11:10 AM

He’s got what…$40 million reasons to be using exclamation points!!!!!!! I don’t believe that statement was sincere whatsoever.

2. flapjackdaddy says: Jan 22, 2013 11:12 AM

Can he play defense?

3. sb44champs says: Jan 22, 2013 11:20 AM

Of course Payton is reinstated… Commish wants to be able to eat for the next couple of weeks…

4. randyschwimmer7 says: Jan 22, 2013 11:22 AM

With this statement, I think we call all acknowledge they had this bounty program working. It just points to more lies by the players that were involved, especially Jonathan Vilma. Wonder what statement he is going to have now that he coach has admitted to the wrong doings. Wonder if he still claims “he’s the victim”? This will be interesting going forward how Vilma handles himself.

5. dennisatunity says: Jan 22, 2013 11:24 AM

I’m still curious about one thing. I thought as a stipulation of his suspension he was to have no contact with the team. yet somehow during that suspension that mandated no contact with the team, he negotiated a new multi-million dollar contract. Even if it’s through his agent, he still had to sign it. How did that take place?

6. gochargersgo says: Jan 22, 2013 11:27 AM

Drew Brees wants an explanation as to what mistakes were made.

7. jsotis76 says: Jan 22, 2013 11:30 AM

Since we’re focusing on punctuation today, I’d like to add that I appreciate that Coach Payton left out a comma in order to give Saints fans part ownership of the team. Nice gesture, Sean!

8. ghlatty says: Jan 22, 2013 11:36 AM

It takes a little over 2 hours to get to Mobile from New Orleans so Payton should be at the Senior Bowl site for morning practice!!!

9. 2difshoe says: Jan 22, 2013 11:39 AM

No, no mistakes were made !
    You were adaquately punished for your behavior.

Maybe a donation the a shelter for abused victims would be a nice gesture in good faith that you won’t turn a blind eye next time.

10. FinFan68 says: Jan 22, 2013 11:47 AM

I think the timing has more to do with the senior bowl and staff hires than the SB in NOLA. Those impact next year

11. thetooloftools says: Jan 22, 2013 12:03 PM

Classy Classy move by Payton. Payton got PAID so he doesn’t care.

12. enochmh2 says: Jan 22, 2013 12:06 PM

Someone please explain to me!! What did Greg Williams confess to???? Because listening to the saints talk about it its like this whole thing is a mystery to them

13. hor2012 says: Jan 22, 2013 12:14 PM

You know I’m a Saints fan. But, at this point I’m just glad this is over.

14. cwwgk says: Jan 22, 2013 12:29 PM

For the sake of the fans of the Saints, hopefully Payton has learned not to lie to the commissioner or the owners. His disregard of the principle of integrity is what got him the year long suspension.

The cover up is almost always worse than the crime. Goodell and the league had every reason to suspend Payton for the year.

15. johnlink00 says: Jan 22, 2013 12:33 PM

I am sure zero New Orleans fans will be thinking “You know, I would have booed Goodell, but he reinstated our coach in time for a Super Bowl we aren’t playing in, so I’m going to go ahead and cheer him.”

This will not change the fans reaction for a second. I am not a Saints fan, but I would have to think they were pretty dumb to think this would make Goodell “slightly less unpopular when he settles into New Orleans for a week of Super Bowl festivities”.

Something happened in New Orleans. They weren’t innocent. They should have been fined, taken away a draft pick or two, and moved on. I’ve never been anti-Goodell, but this fiasco was CLEARLY an overreaction to the need to appear tough on player safety. The Saints got steamrolled.

16. nothinbutathang says: Jan 22, 2013 12:35 PM

This is like telling your parents or your boss, exactly what they want to hear, true or not. Good for Sean, it’s time to move on from this crap.

17. marcinhouston says: Jan 22, 2013 12:36 PM

Now we need our 2013 draft pick back. A 7-9 season and our top 2012 pick lost were enough, after the punishment for the Pack and Pats doing the same thing was $25,000 fines.

18. robert831 says: Jan 22, 2013 12:40 PM

The Saints got off so lightly in this whole thing. Take some first round picks already! They cheated and have admitted it.

19. dat504 says: Jan 22, 2013 12:44 PM

In no way did e admit to a pay to injure program. He said what he had to say to make Roger happy. Some of you need to get a clue.

20. dprouse says: Jan 22, 2013 12:51 PM

You can just see the bayonets poking Payton in the back as he read this statement. “Do I really have to say this?” “Ahem…I clearly recognize that mistakes were made…”

21. jjbadd385 says: Jan 22, 2013 1:05 PM

At this point, does it even matter anymore? I for one, will be absolutely happy if we never hear about it again….

22. granadafan says: Jan 22, 2013 1:08 PM

Hmm, Payton’s agent writes a nice statement that “mistakes were made” without saying what mistakes, yet the players insist that nothing happened. What an absurd denial by Vilma and co.

23. fuglyflorio says: Jan 22, 2013 1:08 PM

I hope every Saints fan reads what he said … it’s called an admission of guilt. Drew Brees should read it twice.

24. dabears2485 says: Jan 22, 2013 1:21 PM

Glad to hear it. Now fix that horrific defense.

25. johnclaytonsponytail says: Jan 22, 2013 1:22 PM

YES mistakes were made. By the NFL and Goddell. Over reaction and stuck by the wrong decision and punishment. Simple fines would have been enough. The least you can do is give them their draft pick back.

26. ejmat2 says: Jan 22, 2013 1:23 PM

LOL. So with Payton stating there were mistakes made, is there anyone that still believes that there were no bounties? This is coming straight from the head coach. Any other evidence necessary?

27. thejuddstir says: Jan 22, 2013 1:27 PM

Payton acknowledges that “there were mistakes made that led to league violations and that a more dilegent protocol will be followed”. Headcoach acknowledges the wrong-doing but Vitt and Vilma keep living in denial. As for Vitt’s crazy statement, I don’t think he should hold his breath waiting for the NFL to apologize to him and the NFL couldn’t care less if he “forgets”. I suspect the penalties imposed would prevent anyone from ever forgetting, lest they be tempted to cheat again in the future.

28. thejuddstir says: Jan 22, 2013 1:31 PM

As for how saints* fans treat Goodell at this year’s SB…………..it will show that it’s not just saints* players and coaches who are clueless, but also further proof of their fans being….none too smart. They will treat Goodell like crap and then be left to wonder for the next 25 years why they never get another SB bid ! Stupid is as stupid does.

29. hor2012 says: Jan 22, 2013 1:34 PM

“I clearly recognize that mistakes were made, which led to league violations.

Now, I was prepared as a Saints fan to just let this go. But, I can’t do it while there idiots who still was to say that this is a admission of guilt. Please tell me where you see that he admitting to a bounty in that statement.

30. johnclaytonsponytail says: Jan 22, 2013 1:43 PM

Guess its all in the way you read it. I take it as the mistakes were not stopping it sooner and then tryin to cover it up. I still dont believe it was bounty. More for performance, not about injuries.

31. melikefootball says: Jan 22, 2013 2:02 PM

Odd how the head coach admits the bounty went on but the players are calling foul on Godel. Something doesn’t add up but we can ask the darling of the South Brees to give us the answers.

32. hor2012 says: Jan 22, 2013 2:04 PM

randyschwimmer7 says:
    Jan 22, 2013 11:22 AM

I clearly recognize that mistakes were made, which led to league violations.

“I am excited to be back as Head Coach of the New Orleans Saints!”

I’m sorry. I’m a Saints fan so could you tell me how any of this is a admission of a bounty program. It sounds like the same vague statements that you and the rest of the nation took and ran with. He doesn’t admitt to anything other then league violations which could be a simple as slary cap violations.

33. addmack24 says: Jan 22, 2013 2:17 PM

Payton states “mistakes were made”. Sure that mistake was a pay for performance system. He never says that there was a bounty system. Greg Williams along with Mike Cerello were the only 2 people who ever said there was a bounty system along with Roger Goodell. Payton, Loomis, Vitt, and everyone else never said that there was a bounty system. They did admitt to a pay for performance system however which I’m sure they had in force. Which the punishment for this is fines only no suspensions per the CBA. All the people who are saying he admitted, he admitted stop drinking Goodell’s Koolaid it isn’t good for you.

34. dennisatunity says: Jan 22, 2013 2:20 PM

I see that over 100 of you gave me a “thumbs down” on my question. The question was if Payton was told to have no contact with the team during his suspension, how did he negotiate a brand new multi-million dollar contract? It was a sincere question. I wasn’t being sarcastic or anything else. I just wanted to know. Honest!

35. rboyett says: Jan 22, 2013 2:27 PM

Goodell will never be welcome in New Orleans. He would to well to just skip the Super Bowl..

36. shrike3000 says: Jan 22, 2013 2:29 PM

The Saints had a pay for performance. That is technically against the rules. That was the mistake made as well as some lying about it in early investigations. The players have never denied pay for performance. This is not an admission of Pay for Injury people!!! And anyone who thinks Payton wrote this or wasn’t forced to say that part about mistakes doesn’t understand Payton at all. I have no doubt Payton is furious at Goodell and can’t wait to stick it too him by winning and winning big.

37. shrike3000 says: Jan 22, 2013 2:48 PM

@dennisatunity The Saints and Payton were granted permission from the league to work on fixing his contract. You probably got so many downvotes because that is considered common knowledge and you said it like an accusation of wrongdoing.

38. briddes says: Jan 22, 2013 2:54 PM

dennisatunity says:
    Jan 22, 2013 2:20 PM

People gave you a “thumbs down” because it appears that you only read headlines and not the stories themselves. The Saints and Sean Payton were given permission from the NFL to negotiate the contract after the NFL vacated the extension.

39. bearnmind says: Jan 22, 2013 3:11 PM

Oh please, that is not an admission of a bounty program and I’m glad because he didn’t run a bounty program, never admitted to one and wasn’t suspended for one. Roger is still looking for validation of his piss poor claims.

If Roger thinks this is going to make a difference in how the city feels about him, he is sorely mistaken. C’mon down to New Orleans Roger, you’re in for a special time.

40. 7ransponder says: Jan 22, 2013 3:24 PM

Going to be fun watching Saints fans realize next season that all the problems their team has won’t be magically solved by the “return of the Messiah”.

41. dennisatunity says: Jan 22, 2013 5:06 PM

Thanks for the clarifications.

42. phillyfanmatt says: Jan 22, 2013 5:07 PM

I still think it’s funny that everyone says they never admitted to a bounty. But everyone fails to forget that The judge who heard the players case said in her brief that pay for performance equates to a bounty.

43. deiong says: Jan 22, 2013 5:41 PM

five years after he retires when he’s spent all his money, he’ll write the true book about how he knew what was going on and was apart of it, to cash in …. he knew what was going on, and he let it happen… just come clean already. otherwise you havent learned anything.

44. bearnmind says: Jan 22, 2013 7:05 PM

Phillyfanmatt
    Huge difference in pay for performance equates to a bounty versus the league’s contention of a deliberate intent to injure. No Saints fan doubts a pay for performance existed, where we have an issue is Rogers’s contention that our players tried to injure other players deliberately. That’s originally what Roger said. He crawfished that back when he got all the pushback,. He doesn’t say that anymore but that was the original justification for the unprecedented punishments, deliberate intent to injure with thousands and thousands of pages of evidence to prove it. Now he won’t even release the transcripts. Go figure.

45. turfrage says: Jan 22, 2013 10:13 PM

Soooo, we finally hear from the horse’s mouth. It did happen. Now who still screams it didn’t? The players! Laughable.