Russell Wilson: I didn’t ask for a new contract

Divisional Playoffs - Seattle Seahawks v Atlanta Falcons Getty Images

On Sunday, Chris Mortensen of ESPN created a bit of a whirlwind when he reported that Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson’s agent Bus Cook asked the team for a new contract even though the Collective Bargaining Agreement makes it impossible for a rookie to get a new deal after his first season.

Cook called the report “a bunch of bulls–t” and Mortensen later added an update to say that the request was made without Wilson’s knowledge. Now Wilson has addressed the report. Wilson spoke to Peter King of SI.com to say that he neither asked for nor desires a new contract that’s impossible for him to get at this point anyway.

“I speak for myself, and I never demanded or asked for a restructured contract. . . .  I have complete understanding and respect for the new CBA rules. . . .  Anyone who knows me knows I play for the love of the game. I play for the challenge of being the best one day and know I have a long way to go,” Wilson said. “I respect the NFL, respect the new CBA, respect my teammates, respect all of the other players across the league, and respect the Seattle Seahawks.”

The CBA makes it plain that a rookie cannot renegotiate or alter his existing contract until he’s played three years so the prospect of a new deal was never something to take seriously. Whether someone on Wilson’s team ignored that and made the request anyway is a different matter, one that should probably trouble Wilson if such a request truly was made without his knowledge.

Permalink 33 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, Seattle Seahawks
33 Responses to “Russell Wilson: I didn’t ask for a new contract”
  1. stairwayto7 says: Jan 22, 2013 3:28 PM

Another Mort lie?

2. sneaky3413 says: Jan 22, 2013 3:30 PM

Who doesn’t love Russell Wilson? This guy is awesome.

3. parasonic says: Jan 22, 2013 3:31 PM

I still have no idea why rookies do not get incentive laced contracts. If they blow up and have huge years they get paid for their production. If not, no issue for the team. Sure there are positions that don’t have quantitative stats but there HAS to be a way. This is a must have for running backs especially who might only get one chance in FA.

All this would help is the stupid hold outs and let the teams and players focus on their job.

4. steelerben says: Jan 22, 2013 3:32 PM

Mort was standing next to John Izdik when someone sent him a text that said, “Russell just made the Pro Bowl. Get that kid a new contract.”

He ran with the story.

5. mavajo says: Jan 22, 2013 3:33 PM

When Favre retired, I thought I would never have to see the name Bus Cook again. Thanks a lot Wilson.

6. myeaglescantwin says: Jan 22, 2013 3:36 PM

gotta love this lil guy.

he may be as smart as he is physically gifted.
    I’d love for 5′ nothing QB to be the next ‘prototype’..

Shows that heart is more important than size and in some cases skill.
    (Leaf, Russel)

7. skinswillsurprise says: Jan 22, 2013 3:38 PM

I love how all the new QBs handle the media. RG3, Will, and Luck are professionals already. HTTR!

8. eatitfanboy says: Jan 22, 2013 3:50 PM

How many more times does Mort need to be loud wrong before we just start taking stuff he says with a grain of salt?

I don’t really listen to any of these “insiders”, but if I had to pick one it would be Jay Glazer.

9. sgmd1 says: Jan 22, 2013 3:51 PM

So if Wilson denied it and Wilson’s rep denied it, then who is the “unnamed representative” that Mortensen was quoting?

Time to reveal the name Mort, otherwise this seems like libel to me.

10. goldrush36 says: Jan 22, 2013 3:55 PM

This kid is so easy to like. Really sucks he plays for Carroll and those obnoxious fans

11. notoriousjebus says: Jan 22, 2013 3:55 PM

The CBA really needs a performance exception on slotted rookie deals for situations like this.

Wilson and Morris have proven their value far outstrips the $400k-$700k they are slated to make each of the three remaining years of their contracts. I am not saying they should be resigned to first round type contracts but they certainly deserve more than they are getting. Maybe the remainder of the contract pays 15% less than the average for all starters at said position.

Tebow made twice as much as Russell Wilson and Alfred Morris combined for the 2012 season, doesn’t seem right does it?

12. henryd3rd says: Jan 22, 2013 3:57 PM

I just hope for his sake he stay healthy and then he’ll be able to cash in on the big money.

13. thegreatgabbert says: Jan 22, 2013 4:05 PM

Actually Russell wanted a new “compact”. The last one he was driving had way too much leg room, and he had trouble seeing over the dash.

14. unkrautsalat says: Jan 22, 2013 4:10 PM

The rookie salary cap is the best thing in the new CBA, and I don’t want it changed at all. Still: Isn’t it kinda sick that in 2013 AND 2014, Russell Wilson will get not even 10 % the money Mark Sanchez will get?

15. 1phd says: Jan 22, 2013 4:20 PM

I met Mort at a restaurant in La Jolla before the season began. He told me his preseason pick to win the next Super Bowl was San Francisco. Then he picked against them nearly every week…just in case that says something about his credibility.

16. goods65 says: Jan 22, 2013 4:37 PM

i just hope after 3 yrs,wilson still plays for the love of the game and not for the money.Also,hope Paul Allen pays him well come contract time.

17. ninerslovecooljav says: Jan 22, 2013 4:42 PM

Russell Wilson = Poor Man’s Kaepernick

18. rubbahbandman says: Jan 22, 2013 4:44 PM

i’m sure wilson will pick up plenty of endorsements that will more than make up for being stuck with a small contract. there are a lot of revenue streams for top athletes and wilson has a great image that’s obviously marketable

19. randyschwimmer7 says: Jan 22, 2013 4:51 PM

unkrautsalat says:
    Jan 22, 2013 4:10 PM
    __________________________________

Don’t blame that on the CBA or anything other than a boneheaded GM that got fired. Sanchez should not have been paid anything more than a year long sandwich of the month club at Subway.

20. supermariojosh says: Jan 22, 2013 4:53 PM

parasonic says: Jan 22, 2013 3:31 PM

———————-
    This is a great idea, but I think the kind of incentives that would bump up a late round rookie to their actual value (AKA a couple hundred thousand to potentially millions) would be way too hard to budget for in your cap. What if three of your late round rookies blow up and suddenly you’re out of cap space? It’d have to be something built into the CBA AND the salary cap rules as well. Could be awesome though and encourage even more teams to build through the draft.

21. fwippel says: Jan 22, 2013 4:54 PM

Why is this even a story?

It is against the rules for the Seahawks to give him a new contract until he completes three years. It doesn’t matter what he wants, or perhaps more on point, what his agent wants.

Case closed.

22. dannymac17 says: Jan 22, 2013 4:59 PM

How is he a poor mans Kaepernick?

He accomplished more in his first year than Colin there smart guy.

23. dennisatunity says: Jan 22, 2013 5:00 PM

He’s a class act. Sadly, there are quite a few NFL players that need to take some lessons from him about the love of the game, handling the media, and simply telling the truth.

24. rufustfireflyjr says: Jan 22, 2013 5:12 PM

“I play for love of the game?” Yeah, right. I’ll take his word for it that he loves football, but he wouldn’t be playing it in the NFL if he wasn’t getting paid.

25. ninerslovecooljav says: Jan 22, 2013 6:25 PM

well considering that Kap has only started 9 games and reached the SUPER BOWL while Wilson has started 18 games and LOST in the divisional round i beg to differ that he has accomplished more….. smart guy

26. ijahru says: Jan 22, 2013 6:40 PM

is this the same Mort who said it is a certainty that Tebow is going to Jacksonville?

27. dankkc says: Jan 22, 2013 6:53 PM

R. Wilson your a class act! Wish S. Pioli had a clue, the Chiefs passed on him twice, lol. Wouldnt have mattered with Crennel anyway, funny how Wilson really earned his job in KC in the third preseason game. Oh well I have faith in Reid, and because of Wilson we may get Flynn. Go Chiefs 2013

28. dallascowboysdishingthereal says: Jan 22, 2013 7:02 PM

I believe Wilson. Seems to be a very up standing guy any team would love to have and frankly I think Seattle will be glad to pay him more when the time comes.

29. pabrownsfan says: Jan 22, 2013 7:31 PM

I am like most if not all nfl fans. How many times have you seen your high draft be a bad one that made millions. On the flip side of the coin it HAS to redone again. Anyone that performed the way that kid did deserves a lot more money. As a Browns fan i told my son i hoped they would draft him. He has always had talent and i loved watching him in college.

30. tstimler says: Jan 22, 2013 8:05 PM

Stand up guy. Go Hawks!

31. themackstrong says: Jan 22, 2013 8:44 PM

Russell Wilson has been the real deal even before coming to Seattle. The kid is all class and don’t doubt a word he says. Trust me he is going to have a big pay day in a couple of years and the Seahawks will be happy to pay. I know I am going to keep buying tickets to watch him. Go Hawks!

32. allidoiswin55 says: Jan 23, 2013 4:20 AM

He does play for the love of the game. He was drafted and given a contract for a million dollars played minor league ball for the rockies and when he decided to quit he voluntarily gave the money back! He had no obligation to do so. So people saying he’s full of crap obviously don’t know a damn thing bout this dude and wonder why us Hawks fans are so excited for him and our future.

33. jusjamn says: Jan 24, 2013 1:14 AM

If it changes to raise his pay up, then it must change to lower a first round bust salary. Doesn’t make much sense does it. He gets plenty for now and will get a huge contract and be set for life in a couple years.