Elway, Fox consulted Peyton before promoting Gase to coordinator

John Fox, Peyton Manning AP

Most players don’t get a say in who will coach them. But most players are not Peyton Manning.

Manning is as important to the Broncos as any player is to any team, so it’s not surprising that Broncos front office boss John Elway confirmed that he and head coach John Fox consulted with Manning before making the decision to promote quarterbacks coach Adam Gase to offensive coordinator after Mike McCoy left to become the head coach in San Diego.

We asked what [Manning thought],” Elway told USA Today. “There was no resistance there, let’s put it that way.”

Gase was effusive in his praise for Manning when he first took the offensive coordinator position, and Elway said he thinks the Manning-led Broncos offense will look a lot in 2013 like it did in 2012.

“He’ll do some things he’s familiar with and comfortable with, and we might simplify some things,” Elway said. “He’s young, bright, a lot of upside. He knew the system, knew Peyton, so to me it was the logical choice.”

Gase is the logical choice as long as Gase is willing to let Manning keep running the offense.

Permalink 30 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Denver Broncos, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
30 Responses to “Elway, Fox consulted Peyton before promoting Gase to coordinator”
  1. edithpiaf51 says: Jan 23, 2013 7:16 PM

Since when did Peyton Manning become the boss and owner of the Broncos? lol :)

2. indytom87 says: Jan 23, 2013 7:17 PM

What does a QB coach advise Manning to do anyway? “Um..I guess just keep doing what you are doing”

3. chief67 says: Jan 23, 2013 7:19 PM

Manning is a playoff expert !

4. s1138 says: Jan 23, 2013 7:32 PM

Of course they did. Peyton is the most important person on that team, and that includes the coaches and front office personel, so why wouldn’t you ask him first?

5. snaponrules says: Jan 23, 2013 7:34 PM

indytom87 says:Jan 23, 2013 7:17 PM

——————————————————————————–

Hopefully telling him that he doesn’t have the arm strength to throw the ball late across the middle of the field anymore.

6. arlingtonsynn says: Jan 23, 2013 7:37 PM

Be honest….

This would be more interesting if they DIDN’T consult the fivehead.

7. 7pints says: Jan 23, 2013 7:39 PM

chief67 says:

Manning is a playoff expert !
    ————————————————————-

A Chief fan making a funny about the playoffs? What’s it been now…
    20 yrs, slick? Good one.

8. phelbin says: Jan 23, 2013 7:40 PM

Peyton Manning has basically been a co-offensive coordinator his whole career. This is nothing new. And it seems to work pretty well for him.

9. tluke25 says: Jan 23, 2013 7:40 PM

If I was the GM and/or coach, I certainly would have asked what his thoughts were too.

10. thereisalwaysnextyear says: Jan 23, 2013 7:40 PM

Elway, Fox consulted Peyton before promoting Gase to coordinator

And all this time I thought I was master of the obvious.

11. dalucks says: Jan 23, 2013 7:42 PM

So you are telling me they had to get Peyton’s permission to let Adam Gase to be taught by Peyton Manning.
    Tell Adam Gase to bring his notepad or ipad and be prepared to learn.
    Just listen and learn Adam.

12. chiefnofoldem says: Jan 23, 2013 7:42 PM

So here is my question. If they consulted Manning about this then don’t you think Manning was asked what he thought about taking a knee with less then a minute left and what 2 time outs in the fourth quarter of that playoff game against the Ravens.

If Manning gets the props for his play in the regular season then he should get the smack down for his play in the post season.

13. gator2006 says: Jan 23, 2013 7:42 PM

This could be the first late-30s QB to come back with a stronger arm the next year.

14. silvestregonzalez74 says: Jan 23, 2013 7:52 PM

Okay 1 million papa john pizzas,okay 2 million papa john pizzas!!!!!

Contract negotiations between Adam gase and peyton manning.

15. riverhorsey says: Jan 23, 2013 7:55 PM

It’s the smartest thing they could of done.

16. forreels says: Jan 23, 2013 8:02 PM

Adam,

Whatever you do, do not cross the strings!

Pinnochio

17. chattanola says: Jan 23, 2013 8:05 PM

Manning is the computer who wore tennis shoes when it comes to offense. I wonder what the chances are of Manning becoming a coach when he retires from play.

I’ve always been able to see him having a Football Sunday TV job but maybe he’ll surprise me.

18. steelers88 says: Jan 23, 2013 8:05 PM

I wish the Steelers would have consulted Ben Roethlisberger before they hired Todd Haley.

19. jrebar88 says: Jan 23, 2013 8:05 PM

chief67 says:

Manning is a playoff expert !

———————————

Correct me if I’m wrong but the chiefs havent won any relevant games since the early 90’s and Manning beat the chiefs in the playoffs early in the 2000’s. After the cheifs had a 13-3 record.

20. notor23 says: Jan 23, 2013 8:17 PM

Cutler was consulted on who they should hire for the Bears next HC. It’s no big deal..

21. raiderapologist says: Jan 23, 2013 8:22 PM

“Consulted” in this instance means “asked permission”.

22. chief67 says: Jan 23, 2013 8:29 PM

7pints -Even Tebow has a playoff win in Denver ….

23. dabearsk says: Jan 23, 2013 8:38 PM

It’s the same in any business where one employee is being promoted to lead others from within the organization. You get some feedback from knowledgeable employees that have worked with that individual. Doesn’t mean those employees’ opinions would carry veto power but they do/should matter and provided they are quality employees like Manning should be of value to the decision makers. No big deal…now if they didn’t talk Peyton then that would say a lot about how they view him..both long term and short term.

24. andrewlucksneard says: Jan 23, 2013 9:38 PM

Since they are going to set the franchise back 5 years by guaranteeing a dead armed QB $40 million…they may as well let him decide who the coach is…and you people think Fox was calling the shots in the playoff loss? Peyton calls audibles and he is to blame…a true playoff choker…and remember…he wasn’t the Super Bowl MVP the year the Colts won it…let’s see if they can keep Ryan Clady after using almost 20% of their cap on a QB who can’t throw in the cold

25. ripster65 says: Jan 23, 2013 10:12 PM

I’m certainly no linguist but it cracks me up when people say “could of”, “should of” or “would of”…

26. edithpiaf51 says: Jan 23, 2013 10:14 PM

I teach management and yes I agree with dabearsk when s/he said that it is like when one employee is promoted to lead others. Yes but the person has to be a capable leader that is either transactional or transformational with charisma and the ability to motivate others. I am not sure Peyton has those qualities. A leader is not supposed to be egoist. He or she must be confident but not egoist and Peyton is egoist. He is all about himself.

27. edithpiaf51 says: Jan 23, 2013 10:44 PM

Without seniority, if Peyton was employed at my university, the only thing he would be consulted in, is what brand of water to put in the water cooler.:)

he should not be consulted on a coach’s promotion. Also Peyton chokes in the playoffs. He was not MVP like his brother Eli.

28. nodindenver says: Jan 23, 2013 11:37 PM

I am a Bronco fan as well as a Manning fan. It is great that they discussed it with the Sheriff but, the last time he took the field was bitter to say the least. The only thing I want to see him leading is a redemption tour in 2013-2014 because they just choked away a grand opportunity two weeks ago. Maybe he can help out in the draft room when they are attempting to get some help with pressure up the middle or getting us a nail eating linebacker to fill the gap!

29. 85pmart says: Jan 24, 2013 7:08 AM

I knew an English major, an English major was my friend. And I’ll tell you, “would of” and “could of” and such, are no English major writing. Think it’s would have, could have. N E buddy kare?

30. loveorhatethejets says: Jan 24, 2013 12:31 PM

peyton looks like at urtle in that picture lol