Frank Gore fined $10,500 for low socks

NFC Championship - San Francisco 49ers v Atlanta Falcons Getty Images

While you were watching 49ers running back Frank Gore running for 90 yards and two touchdowns to help the 49ers to their comeback victory over the Falcons, others were paying attention to other things about Gore.

The level of his socks, to be exact. Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that Gore has been fined $10,500 by the NFL for wearing his socks too low during the game against Atlanta. Gore was fined the same amount in the final week of the regular season for throwing a ball into the stands after a touchdown.

We’re long past the point of being surprised by such fines, although that doesn’t make it any less startling to see the amount Gore’s been fined for not wearing the uniform as mandated by the league. Players are fined less for smacking other players in the face after games than they are for wearing their socks too low, something which sends an odd message. The schedule for the fines is spelled out in the Collective Bargaining Agreement, so both the NFL and NFLPA play a role that weights infractions incorrectly.

Permalink 41 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, San Francisco 49ers
41 Responses to “Frank Gore fined $10,500 for low socks”
  1. therealtrenches says: Jan 23, 2013 3:35 PM

You sure the fine wasn’t for high pants?

2. niners816 says: Jan 23, 2013 3:35 PM

Personally I liked his dirty bird as he helped the Niners punch their ticket to the Super Bowl!! Go Niners!

3. nfloracle says: Jan 23, 2013 3:36 PM

Good Lord, what next? Fined for not clipping one’s fingernails to within 1/8th of an inch of the quick?

4. chaseutley says: Jan 23, 2013 3:38 PM

Gore: Wear the uniform the right way.
    Goodell: Stop levying pointless fines for ridiculous amounts.

What is this? Junior High?

5. csndrew says: Jan 23, 2013 3:39 PM

…and you thought YOUR office had a strict dress code!

6. asusundevils says: Jan 23, 2013 3:39 PM

All I can really say is “LOL” at this point.

7. thegreatgabbert says: Jan 23, 2013 3:40 PM

Pull your socks up kid.

8. 49ers4ever says: Jan 23, 2013 3:41 PM

I’m taking the under on Tom Brady’s fine for trying kick Ed Reed.

9. SilentMajority says: Jan 23, 2013 3:43 PM

This has been a fine-able offense for a long time. I remember when Art Monk was fined for this exact same thing.

10. jfd349 says: Jan 23, 2013 3:44 PM

Wow, that’s like have his game pay for the playoff game. For socks. Like they don’t fall down during the course of action? How insane.

11. Deb says: Jan 23, 2013 3:44 PM

First, as long as the list of “specific” fines is “minimum,” there are no specific fines. Goodell is free to fine players whatever he wants at his own discretion. The players were fools to agree to this. Second, I’d love to see Goodell run for 90 yards in 60 game minutes with an NFL defense chasing him and see how his socks look afterward. Just one request: Let James Harrison be one of the opposing linebackers.

12. wannstache says: Jan 23, 2013 3:46 PM

Why, then, don’t they fine Bill Belichick for dressing like a slob on the sidelines? He was on camera last week just as much as Gore was. It makes no sense.

13. bigks77 says: Jan 23, 2013 3:48 PM

Your told before game, you get warning. If it isn’t changed after halftime it’s a fine. Non-Story!!!

14. trollhammer20 says: Jan 23, 2013 3:52 PM

What’s an owner get fined for having a playoff game take place on a dirt pile that’s been spray-painted green?

15. bartlettruss says: Jan 23, 2013 3:55 PM

Isn’t that about twice the average fine for a helmet to helmet hit? Yeah, the league is really concerned about concussions… As I suspected they care about half as much about head injuries as they care about socks…

16. jjb0811 says: Jan 23, 2013 3:56 PM

Forcing players to wear pink 1 month out of the season though is fine?

17. brucesf49 says: Jan 23, 2013 3:56 PM

How ridiculous! If I wasn’t such a die hard 9er fan I would stop watching NFL games.

18. Nofoolnodrool says: Jan 23, 2013 3:57 PM

So let me see that Pollards fine will be oh…that’s right he is a raven they don’t get fined.

19. pnut87 says: Jan 23, 2013 4:01 PM

And watch Tom Brady NOT get fined for kicking Reed below the belt. Watch.

20. cd_ridge says: Jan 23, 2013 4:04 PM

A first offense blow to the head = $7,500
    Uniform dress code violation = $10,500

Something looks wrong here.

21. kh221 says: Jan 23, 2013 4:09 PM

Thank God this issue has finally been addressed. It’s all I could focus on during the championship game…

22. psilenttype says: Jan 23, 2013 4:13 PM

“Players are fined less for smacking other players in the face after games than they are for wearing their socks too low”

Shows you how ridiculous Goodell/NFL are with assessing these fines

23. ripster65 says: Jan 23, 2013 4:20 PM

I just googled 49ers vs Falcons images and looks like half the 49ers are wearing red sock and the other half is wearing white. Didn’t a couple of Bears get fines for wearing different colored shoes?

24. mancave001 says: Jan 23, 2013 4:21 PM

Ridiculous.

25. ubummer says: Jan 23, 2013 4:25 PM

The seeming disparity in the amount of the fines is easy to understand. Things that happen in the spur of the moment because somebody let their emotions get the better of them during or shortly after an emotional game like football warrant a lesser fine than someone who calmly, intentionally and willfully disregards the league’s rules. Willfull disobedience cannot be tolerated.

26. bigtrav425 says: Jan 23, 2013 4:29 PM

asinine and getting out of control…this is nothing short of ridiculous as is all the fines like this one

27. hendeeze says: Jan 23, 2013 4:29 PM

The next time the CBA needs to get ratified, I foresee a LONG holdout by the players because of the abuse of power Goodell has exibited this time around. The NFL will try to blame the players, and the players will point to examples like this to justify not signing.

28. rocketcrab says: Jan 23, 2013 4:33 PM

Just plain dumb on the NFL’s part.

29. devildog911 says: Jan 23, 2013 4:36 PM

For that amount I could buy me socks that would last me a lifetime.

What’s next? Fine players for having dirty underwear? Heck, I could use some clean underwear too, lol.

30. rodgers4prez says: Jan 23, 2013 4:52 PM

I can’t believe anyone hasn’t brought this up yet, but in the post game interviews they asked them about his socks. He said that it so hot in the stadium that he had to roll them down. I don’t think he was trying to stick it to Goodell, the man was just hot! Some of these fines are ridiculous…

31. joe400e says: Jan 23, 2013 4:54 PM

I only hope that money is going to player safety research and retired players medical funds.

32. kheebner says: Jan 23, 2013 4:55 PM

How about fining Bill Belichick for wearing that stupid sweatshirt with the sleeves cut off?

33. usimark05 says: Jan 23, 2013 5:00 PM

Lookin’ like a fool with yo socks on the ground!

34. audge86 says: Jan 23, 2013 5:07 PM

kheebner says: Jan 23, 2013 4:55 PM

————–

you should BB for not conforming to what goodell wants, really

The problem here is the fine/rule. BB should be left alone. And for sure Frank Gore should be left alone for this. Socks too low? really?

I get that the NFL wants to have uniform standards and I agree with that. But this is taking it too far. A guy blatantly ignoring standards would be one thing, this is just ridiculous.

Goodell needs to back off. Doesn’t he get paid a lot of $$ to do things more important than measure the height of socks?

Did anyone honestly notice this before this article popped up? No. It was no distraction from the game.

I’m not even a 49ers fan but I have your back here

35. migs54 says: Jan 23, 2013 5:14 PM

This is silly. A fine for low socks is higher than for Trent Williams punching Richard Sherman. Ludicrous!

36. bleedgreen says: Jan 23, 2013 5:34 PM

I’m not even a 49ers fan but I have your back here
    —————————–

Actually, I did. And so did one of my buddies cuz he said ‘What’s up with Gore’s socks?’ Not that anyone gave a crap, but it was noticed.

37. yyyass says: Jan 23, 2013 5:56 PM

And yet Tom Brady kicks his leg high enough to expose his vag and gets nothing.

38. FinFan68 says: Jan 23, 2013 7:17 PM

The fine is for not following the rules. If they let a rule violation slide the players will keep doing other things. It’s his lack of respect or self discipline that is the problem, not the rule or the fine.

39. phelbin says: Jan 23, 2013 7:37 PM

bleedgreen says:

- – - – - – - – -

I actually did notice it during the game. I just assumed they fell down while he was running all over the Falcons! Too busy scoring touchdowns to notice!

40. porschenut says: Jan 24, 2013 4:57 PM

Oh man – I saw a flag issued a few weeks ago for “taunting” and thought that was silly – short socks resulting in a fine just takes the cake!

Certainly agree about Belichick, I mean this was a national play off game on dare I say it…. NATIONAL TV? What a jerk!

41. jintzforever says: Jan 24, 2013 10:01 PM

Are the NFL leaders out of their minds? A huge fine for SOCKS? How stupid is this league becoming? Geez……