Ryan Nassib says joining Bills would be “match made in heaven”

New Era Pinstripe Bowl - West Virginia v Syracuse Getty Images

When the Bills hired Doug Marrone and Nathaniel Hackett away from Syracuse to be their head coach and offensive coordinator, plenty of people pointed out that the Orange had a quarterback with pro potential in Ryan Nassib.

Such things were of interest in Buffalo because General Manager Buddy Nix made no attempt to hide his desire for a young franchise quarterback during the regular season. If it were up to Nassib, he’d be more than willing to take a shot at being that franchise quarterback while playing for his former college coaches.

“That would be a great situation, I love the city of Buffalo,” Nassib said, via the team’s website. “I’m a Central New York guy, that type of weather, and going to Buffalo with all those Syracuse guys there, that would be a match made in heaven.”

Nassib said he thought there was “definitely an advantage” to getting to play for the same coaches in the NFL as you played for in college. The jury’s still out on how well it’s going to work out for Ryan Tannehill and Mike Sherman in Miami. For the Dolphins’ sake, let’s hope it’s better than Danny Wuerffel and Shane Matthews with Steve Spurrier anyway.

Nassib has very little say in where he’ll wind up, obviously, but a little politicking now will only help him if he winds up in Buffalo later.

Permalink 17 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Buffalo Bills, Home, Rumor Mill
17 Responses to “Ryan Nassib says joining Bills would be “match made in heaven””
  1. wkuze13 says: Jan 23, 2013 9:03 AM

Do they let him wear the # 12 if he is drafted. It’s been retired since Jim Kelly. The only official retired number for the Bills.

2. eatitfanboy says: Jan 23, 2013 9:05 AM

Maybe the Bills could play some home games at Yankee Stadium, since the future core of their franchise (head coach, offensive coordinator, QB) all looked pretty comfortable there last month in the New Era Pinstripe Bowl.

3. sean1525 says: Jan 23, 2013 9:14 AM

I thought Nassib was a suburban Philly guy (as opposed to a central NY guy)? Not that it really matters, but in the ‘one liners’ there’s a link to the Eagles talking to him and he was a season ticket holder from Malvern Prep…

4. hoops737 says: Jan 23, 2013 9:16 AM

Nassib will end up being the best QB taken in this mediocre QB class

5. puckthefatriots says: Jan 23, 2013 9:18 AM

Sounds like a guy begging to be a high first round pick. Lame.

6. savocabol1 says: Jan 23, 2013 9:20 AM

I can promise you this, that was the first time in history someone has used Bills and match made in heaven in the same sentence.

7. hehateme2 says: Jan 23, 2013 9:24 AM

Ryan Tannehill is working out just fine, thank you for asking.

All he needs is some support players and that is what the Fins planned for all of last year. Their large cap and draft picks.

8. rabidbillsfan says: Jan 23, 2013 10:17 AM

I don’t know. The kids good, but I think he’d get more of a “benefit of the doubt” type coaching. The only thing is, Nassib has had a solid Career for the Orange, where as some of these guys are One-hit wonders, or have some really great talent supporting them. They can’t reach for him is all I know. He will be worth that #8 only if he totally blows us away with athletic skills during his pro-day and combine. Other than that, they should either take somebody else and trade back into round 1, or trade back, or both. A dream Scenario for me is drafting a guy like Tyler Wilson or even Nassib, and pairing him with Justin Hunter or Cordarrlle Patterson. Boom, offense fixed, on paper atleast. It’s a good thing the Draft is 3 months away, because the only thing I care about right now is getting Byrd and Levitre signed long-term, none of this Franchise tag BS. Lock ‘em up Buddy, don’t take 2 steps back.

9. mojosmagic says: Jan 23, 2013 10:39 AM

Last years draft Nassib would have been a round pick at best. He has some ability, could work out but there are also a lot of negatives such as size and speed which don’t translate all that well to the pro game. Russell Wilson is also small but is a faster, quicker athlete with a stronger more accurate arm then Nassib. He will not be a better pro then Gino Smith.

10. mojosmagic says: Jan 23, 2013 10:41 AM

Sorry meant to say 3rd round pick at best.

11. jpaq68 says: Jan 23, 2013 10:45 AM

“Heaven”? Really? Only in the sense that Hell is hot and Buffalo is the exact oppisite of that. This kid must not get out much.

I predict he will be the 8th overall pick in the draft by the Buffalo Bills, unless one of the teams picking 1 – 7 can trick Buddy Nix and Doug Marrone into moving up – which is quite possible.

12. bvolke says: Jan 23, 2013 11:21 AM

I love how people comment on how Buffalo is some sort of stationary iceberg. It’s a gorgeous place to live and it’s quite warm most of the year.

13. allnflfan says: Jan 23, 2013 12:18 PM

If Buffalo can’t get Tyler Wilson (at their #8 spot or by trading up) they will trade back into the first round to grab Nassib. This will work out far, far better than the last time they traded back into Round 1 for a QB.

14. allnflfan says: Jan 23, 2013 12:21 PM

I also meant to add: no way he gets #12 on the Bills. And, I expect Buffalo to actually draft 2 QBs this year to go along with Tarvaris. Fitz and Thig are gone.

15. coltzfan166 says: Jan 23, 2013 1:36 PM

I’m sure Buffalo fans feel the same way. This guy isn’t even in the top five of a very mediocre QB class.

16. superputman says: Jan 23, 2013 5:19 PM

I don’t care if it’s a reach, I want him at #8. In my worthless opinion his familiarity with the play book and coaching staff justifies a giant reach. Disagree? I don’t care. Don’t waste your time trying to refute opinions.

17. mackcarrington says: Jan 24, 2013 11:03 PM

@wkuze13- I dont know if Jim Kelly’s #12 is oficially retired, but un-oficially retired are #s 15-Kemp, 32-O.J. , and 66-Billy Shaw. If I’m wrong, holla back.