Source scoffs at Woody’s claim Tebow was “forced” on him

New York Jets owner Johnson answers a question at end of season news conference in Florham Park Reuters

While Jets owner Woody Johnson tried to dodge the Tim Tebow bullet with one job applicant, saying Tebow was “forced,” on him, there are now folks ready to call B-S. Actually, there are plenty, but one of them talked to a newspaper reporter.

According to Brian Costello of the New York Post, a source with direct knowledge of the trade scoffed at Johnson’s distancing himself from a move that didn’t work.

“He owns the team,” the source said. “All he had to do was say ‘no.’ Nothing is ever forced on Woody.”

The guy who will continue to get blamed for it is former general manager Mike Tannenbaum, for one of two equally plausible reasons.

One, it could have been because it was solely Tannenbaum’s idea and he ram-rodded through the entire organization. Or two, and just as likely, simply because he’s gone now and remains the easiest to blame.

Permalink 15 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New York Jets, Rumor Mill
15 Responses to “Source scoffs at Woody’s claim Tebow was “forced” on him”
  1. fwippel says: Jan 23, 2013 8:08 AM

Johnson’s statements on this are not credible. He owns the team, which means no one forces him to do anything he doesn’t want to do.

My guess is Johnson had just as much (as anyone else), if not everything, to do with bringing Tebow in. Why? Well, I’d like to see how many Jets jerseys with the #15 were sold since the trade was made. My guess is that had everything to do with the decision.

2. cooklynn17 says: Jan 23, 2013 8:11 AM

“Well you can never get enough of Tim Tebow” – Woody Johnson.

3. cometkazie says: Jan 23, 2013 8:20 AM

Why am I not surprised.

The Jests don’t have to try very hard to make the news.

4. ampats says: Jan 23, 2013 8:22 AM

And to think that Jets fans thought Leon Hess was a terrible owner. Woody could be the worst owner in the NFL at the present time.

Everyone knows he wanted Tebow for PSL’s and the back pages of the NY tabloids.

January 12,1969 was a long time ago and based on current events,things are not changing anytime in the near future in Florham Park !

5. nyyjetsknicks says: Jan 23, 2013 8:28 AM

Woody Johnson is a liar. He lied in this situation and his “no year” baby shampoo made me cry when I was younger.

6. abninf says: Jan 23, 2013 9:38 AM

Unnamed source. Fail. Next subject.

7. malvaren18 says: Jan 23, 2013 10:17 AM

I believe him that is the only way Tebow can end up leading another team in the NFL, by being forced in to it, the guy has no skills.

8. melikefootball says: Jan 23, 2013 10:17 AM

I was losing sleep but finally got another Tebow tidbit.

9. fuglyflorio says: Jan 23, 2013 10:56 AM

What a spineless worm this guy is.

10. surfinbird1 says: Jan 23, 2013 1:27 PM

This is were the Jets get all their class from.

11. edithpiaf51 says: Jan 23, 2013 2:13 PM

Now I know why I will never buy another Johnson & Johnson product lol. Woody Johnson is a lying, cheating, worm. He is the worst owner in the NFL. As a marketing professor, I can say the Jets have the worst product and they are all about the promotional mix and nothing about quality or talent. As for Tim Tebow being forced upon Johnson, give me a break. The guy wanted Tebow so he can beef up his marketing campaign. What a slime ball.

12. zerole00 says: Jan 23, 2013 2:22 PM

I dislike Tebow for bringing religion into what’s supposed to be a game for entertainment, but he wasn’t the main issue with the Jets this season. There’s plenty of blame to go around, why focus on this scapeboat? He was at worse a non-factor.

13. baredon says: Jan 23, 2013 3:18 PM

Owners should “own” and keep their mouths shut… Haven’t they learned anything from Jerry Jones???

14. zeke2517 says: Jan 23, 2013 4:30 PM

Rich Cimini is not a good reporter.

“Owners should “own” and keep their mouths shut”

I see what you’re getting at, but you have to understand why I believe that that is the dumbest sentence I’ve read in quite a while.

15. bigblue090 says: Jan 23, 2013 5:38 PM

the unnamed source is clearly mike tannenbaum