Ed Reed says he’s playing next year

AFC Championship - Baltimore Ravens v New England Patriots Getty Images

The Ravens have been using linebacker Ray Lewis‘ pending retirement as motivation during their run to the Super Bowl, but they won’t be getting another jolt of inspiration from one of the team’s other defensive leaders.

Safety Ed Reed has flirted with retirement over the last couple of offseasons before returning to Baltimore. He was asked about his plans for the future on Thursday and sticking to his answer will mean that there won’t be any flirtation this time around. Reed said he’d “just bought a bike” when asked if this is his last ride and then made things even more explicit.

“I’ll be playing next year. Next question,” Reed said, via Jeff Zrebiec of the Baltimore Sun.

The question now becomes where Reed will be playing. His contract with the Ravens is up, which means that he could entertain offers from any team in the league unless Baltimore gives him the franchise tag. That seems like an unlikely turn of events and it will be an impossible one if the Ravens can’t reach a quick long-term agreement with quarterback Joe Flacco.

Even at 35, Reed would likely draw a fair amount of interest around the league which could mean a very different look for the Baltimore defense next season.

Permalink 54 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Baltimore Ravens, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
54 Responses to “Ed Reed says he’s playing next year”
  1. raylewis52 says: Jan 24, 2013 1:00 PM

I wouldn’t be surprised if Ed Reed departs through Free Agency. He’s been threatening retirement for quite a few years now in hopes of getting a new contract. Id hate to see him go. I see the Colts, Jets, and definitely the Pats as possible destinations. Dark horse could be his home team New Orleans.

2. reed20fence says: Jan 24, 2013 1:00 PM

Moral of the story? “Signing Bonus”

3. blamatina says: Jan 24, 2013 1:01 PM

Welcome to Miami

4. azarkhan says: Jan 24, 2013 1:03 PM

Too old for the amount of money he will want.

5. Stiller43 says: Jan 24, 2013 1:04 PM

Boy, if he was that committed to playing beyond 2012 in the off-season, they might have given him a new contract.

6. kelvinmchale says: Jan 24, 2013 1:04 PM

He’ll win his second Super Bowl with New England next year.

7. narcissismicapocalypse says: Jan 24, 2013 1:04 PM

Welcome to Indianapolis, Mr. Reed.

8. elliottcovert says: Jan 24, 2013 1:05 PM

I just can’t see Ed Reed wearing anything other than a Ravens uniform. It just wouldn’t look right!

9. nepo784 says: Jan 24, 2013 1:06 PM

Belichick on Line 1

10. calibear831 says: Jan 24, 2013 1:09 PM

No ed reed? No ray lewis?. Seems like pieces r begging to fall in Baltimore. Pressure is going to mount on flacco to succeed if the defense cannot.

11. bensbigbrokennose says: Jan 24, 2013 1:09 PM

Sweet, Another chance for Josh Gordon to lay him out…hopefully for good this time

12. steelers88 says: Jan 24, 2013 1:11 PM

Just retire already!

13. rj2013 says: Jan 24, 2013 1:12 PM

Ed, We would love to have you in New England!

14. dowhatifeellike says: Jan 24, 2013 1:13 PM

Let him go now before offenses realize he’s not the guy he used to be and start throwing at him again.

15. rockthered1286 says: Jan 24, 2013 1:13 PM

HUGE Ravens fan, but I cannot see Reed coming back next year unless it’s a similar situation to the one Ray went through a few years ago. 52 drew some interest, but ultimately decided to stay put in Baltimore, without the team having to sacrifice their entire bankroll for him. If Reed is willing to take slightly less in terms of years and $, he will be back. If not? I see some interest from the Pats, Fins, Jets, amongst others. Jets cant afford him. Billy B LOVES him some Ed Reed (and before Pats fans disagree, look at every gushing comment he’s made over the years about Reed) but if it comes down to the dollar, Miami can land him quickly, and it would take him back to his roots at The U. Only time will tell…

16. rockthered1286 says: Jan 24, 2013 1:14 PM

Also if Reed goes, I have Jimmy Smith pegged as starting FS next year. It’s been a water cooler topic around Baltimore for a while now, and a hole to fill would nearly solidify it.

17. southpaw2k says: Jan 24, 2013 1:18 PM

There’s no doubt in my mind that the Patriots and Colts will go after Reed hard in free agency if Reed and the Ravens part ways. I’d hate to see him play in any uniform other than the Ravens, but I don’t know that Ozzie and Co. would be able to afford him.

18. haterade999 says: Jan 24, 2013 1:18 PM

I have a feeling this is his last year in purple.

19. mrtrappedinmymindsr says: Jan 24, 2013 1:21 PM

————————————————————-
    Pajamas, bed slippers, and a T-Shirt? I don’t think his decision to not return to the Ravens next year involved him playing for another team. He’s talking about retirement buddy.

20. billfbrennan says: Jan 24, 2013 1:27 PM

hopefully for the pats. belichick loves him.

21. andrewluckdontgiveawhat says: Jan 24, 2013 1:28 PM

I can see one uniform that would fit him very well. A white one with blue stripes on the shoulder pads. I know Reggie Wayne will be pulling for his former teammate at the U.

22. surfinbird1 says: Jan 24, 2013 1:29 PM

Bill B. has a major mancrush on Ed. Would not surprise me if he showed up in New England.

23. bartlettruss says: Jan 24, 2013 1:29 PM

Poor planning for the Ravens. Of course the problem is that when these future Hall of Famers start getting close to retirement age they often want extended contracts with lots of guaranteed money.

The fact that the Ravens waited so long to re-sign Flacco means playing eeny-meeny-miny-mo with the franchise tag. I’m betting they reserve it for Flacco. If they want to use it on Reed then Flacco will have them over a barrel in negotiations.

Of course the last time they won a Super Bowl they waived their quarterback immediately, so who knows…

24. jolink653 says: Jan 24, 2013 1:30 PM

If the Ravens pass, I can almost guarantee that Bill Belichick jumps all over him and brings him to New Englad…he loves Ed Reed, praises him every opportunity he gets, and I think he would be a big help to teaching our young secondary and the defense as a whole…I have a hard time believing the Ravens let him walk though

25. sb44champs says: Jan 24, 2013 1:30 PM

elliottcovert says:
    Jan 24, 2013 1:05 PM
    =======================
    Except for his hometown SAINTS. I think Ed would love his new look in Black & Gold..

26. hor2012 says: Jan 24, 2013 1:34 PM

elliottcovert says:
    Jan 24, 2013 1:05 PM
    I just can’t

You’ll get use to it when he’s a Saint. Whodat

27. sudz28 says: Jan 24, 2013 1:34 PM

Another year, another season of being used as a human hurdle.

28. watermelon1 says: Jan 24, 2013 1:36 PM

kelvinmchale says: Jan 24, 2013 1:04 PM

He’ll win his second Super Bowl with New England next year.
    ———————————————-

I’m fine with this, since it implies that the Ravens are going to win the Super Bowl this year.

But as much as Ed will miss Ray… I think the Ravens have once again built up a lockerroom chemistry that Reed just won’t want to leave. My guess is he’ll play for the Ravens or he’ll retire. Before this season, I could have easily seen him going to another team. But the way this team has come together, even before the offense showed up the last three weeks… I just can’t see him honestly enjoying football more than he would with the Ravens.

With or without him, the Patriots are still going to be a top contender next year. Unless they do something silly like get rid of Brady’s safety blanket they call Welker.

29. dvdman123 says: Jan 24, 2013 1:41 PM

He will be a New Orleans Saint next season.

30. ampats says: Jan 24, 2013 1:56 PM

As rocketred1286 pointed out, everyone knows when it comes to Belichick and Reed, just get them a room.

Many thumbs down above when the Pats are brought up as a destination but like it or not there is a very strong mutual admiration between BB & ER and I can only see $$$ preventing this marriage.

31. bullcharger says: Jan 24, 2013 2:01 PM

He might want to wait until the season ends. I say if they win he plays again and if they lose he retires.

32. tjhogan23 says: Jan 24, 2013 2:02 PM

I think that Reed landing in NE could be a realistic option, seeing as the Pats’ D could always use improvement. If Talib goes in Free Agency then they might need to move McCourty back to corner if they can’t find a reasonable replacement, and then they could sign Ed Reed to fill the void at safety. Belichick and Brady love Ed Reed and they have always had the utmost respect for him in all of their NFL Films behind the scenes wired up segments. That could be a realistic signing this off season.

33. kmartin173 says: Jan 24, 2013 2:04 PM

How does anybody badmouth Ed Reed? He’s a player’s player and one of most enjoyable guys in the entire NFL to watch play.

34. iamthefootballjerk says: Jan 24, 2013 2:18 PM

calibear831 says:
    Jan 24, 2013 1:09 PM
    =================================
    Ozzie has been setting up for this for the last few years. Neither Reed nor Lewis are in the top three defenders on their team right now. Although I will say this about Reed. He does scare QBs into throwing away from him, based on reputation alone. That is a big factor in why he has been silent so far in the playoffs.

35. steelerben says: Jan 24, 2013 2:25 PM

There are a few teams that could use a safety, even if he is a two year rental.

Jacksonville, Miami, Oakland, Cleveland, Philadelphia, San Diego, New England, New York Jets… I can’t see it turning into a bidding war, but if he doesn’t play in Baltimore because they don’t sign him, he is going to have choices.

36. jwil007 says: Jan 24, 2013 2:28 PM

Stay in the AFC North and come help Cincy win a SB…55 Million available, 3 picks in the top 55 and many young up and comers…that are getting into the prime of their careers… Having you back there with Nelson would make it VERY interesting… I know Im dreaming but can I for a little bit?? :)

37. dafixisin says: Jan 24, 2013 2:35 PM

It’s always seemed like Ray Lewis and Ed Reed have been inextricably linked in Baltimore. So I can see a scenario whereby both of them play their last games as Ravens during the upcoming Super Bowl.

If he’s not franchised, Jairus Byrd might help the team make a smooth transition at FS. ILB? Well, that’s gonna be a lot harder.

38. elitocruz says: Jan 24, 2013 2:39 PM

best safety ever!, love watching him play, i own the ed reed jersey in black, only other jersey i have besides giants jersey, rooting hard for baltimore next weekend

39. dowhatifeellike says: Jan 24, 2013 2:55 PM

Swap Reed for Talib, cut Cary Williams, move Jimmy Smith to FS. Problem solved.

40. glazerh8er says: Jan 24, 2013 3:04 PM

Ed Reed looks like Kimbo Slice’s uncle. Dade County represent!!!1

41. patriotinvasion says: Jan 24, 2013 3:12 PM

Talib, McCourty, Reed, and Dennard. Finally the secondary the Patriots need to get over the hump since losing Ty Law and Rodney Harrison.

I’m sure the thumbs down will be coming, but for Ravens fans, know that all of us Pats fans respect the heck out of Eddy Reed. Guy just balls out and doesn’t yap his gums like Suggs.

42. ravenator says: Jan 24, 2013 3:23 PM

Reed > Troy

and it’s not even close now.

Much rather have Ed on my team than Troy worrying about what his next shampoo commercial will pay

43. cantarguefacts says: Jan 24, 2013 4:03 PM

I think he should go somewhere in the AFC East.
    That gives everyone the chance to witness him face off with Brady’s foot twice a year!

But for real, I would like to see Pagano lure him into a Colts uniform

44. borisbulldog says: Jan 24, 2013 4:18 PM

No surprise there!

When you have 6+ kids with 5 different mothers, the $6MM/yr paycheck comes in pretty handy!

45. mungman69 says: Jan 24, 2013 4:21 PM

The Eagles could use him. In fact, the Eagles could use me.

46. tbd3 says: Jan 24, 2013 5:15 PM

I’m not buying the Reed to the Patriots rumors, considering New England has Wes Welker, Aqib Talib, Julian Edelman, Danny Woodhead, and Sebastian Vollmer (as well as several other role players) becoming free agents.

47. jjackwagon says: Jan 24, 2013 5:20 PM

If he goes to NE he will be that much closer for those late-night booty calls with Gisele. Ed says she kicks harder than Tom.

48. dolphinsfan69 says: Jan 24, 2013 5:44 PM

Ed Reed will finish his career where his college career ended…. Miami!!!!!! Him and Reshad Jones in the secondary is dangerous! Welcome back to South Beach kid!!!!!!

49. thetooloftools says: Jan 24, 2013 6:35 PM

BANG BANG BANG. Ed is still ready to bust hEaDs.

50. dontfeedgigantor says: Jan 24, 2013 6:35 PM

Reed has been hit-or-miss this season, though lately he’s played well. I’m not sure he’s got another great season in him, but he’ll be missed when he’s gone. As far as coverage goes, I think Lardarius Webb is talented enough to step up when he’s gone. Ravens don’t have much to worry about.

51. Nofoolnodrool says: Jan 24, 2013 6:46 PM

I would rather have troys two Super Bowl rings endorsements and money than your opinion and a room in moms basement..

52. ravenmuscle says: Jan 24, 2013 6:51 PM

Sign with the stinkin’ Patriots…they always lose.

53. johnclaytonsponytail says: Jan 24, 2013 6:58 PM

Word on the street is he would only leave the Ravens if Ray Lewis retired and he’d want to come home if the Saints could afford him. This is from a friend close to his family. If Harpers suppose to get 7 mill this year I’d much rather spend that on Pumpkin than Stone Hands.

54. Nofoolnodrool says: Jan 24, 2013 7:51 PM

ravenmuscle says:
    Jan 24, 2013 6:51 PM
    Sign with the stinkin’ Patriots…they always lose.

1 0 like the ravens the last four years you mean…oh I mean the stinking Rat turds…LMFAO