Marcus Lattimore beating the bushes in Mobile

Marcus Lattimore, Steve Spurrier, Dr. Jeffery Guy AP

South Carolina running back Marcus Lattimore has been telling teams he’s going to be ready for the start of next season.

Now he’s showing them as well.

Lattimore, who is coming off back-to-back season-ending knee injuries (to different knees), has been hanging around Senior Bowl week in Mobile, even though he wouldn’t have been eligible to play if he were well.

Just letting teams see me walk around,” Lattimore told Alex Marvez of FoxSports.com and Jim Miller on SiriusXM NFL Radio. “I feel that’s big — and know I’m going to be fine and ready by Week 1.”

Lattimore tore the ACL in his left leg last year, and then dislocated his right knee and tore other ligaments this season.

Without the injuries, he’d have been one of the top backs in this year’s class, and now he’s trying to convince teams he’s going to be able to help them this year.

“I always say, ‘Adversity introduces a man to himself,’ ” Lattimore said. “That’s a quote that pops in my mind every time I’m going through a hard day or don’t feel like doing something. That keeps me going.”

Lattimore’s agents have sent out video to all 32 teams of him running in a pool. He said he’d start jogging on a treadmill within two weeks. He hopes to have an individual workout in April to prove his fitness.

“Everything happens for a reason. This reason was it made me mentally tougher,” Lattimore said. “It put things in perspective where I’ll never take anything — walking, running — for granted again.

“I know what it’s like to not walk and run.”

If he can prove himself well, that kind of attitude will be a hit with NFL teams.

Permalink 18 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill
18 Responses to “Marcus Lattimore beating the bushes in Mobile”
  1. steelerben says: Jan 24, 2013 3:37 PM

Teams that should be looking at this kid as a late round flier:

Pittsburgh
    San Diego
    New York Jets
    Arizona
    Miami
    Jacksonville
    Denver
    Oakland
    Dallas
    Atlanta

He should go in the fifth if he is going to be able to play.

2. sfm073 says: Jan 24, 2013 3:45 PM

I doubt he gets drafted.

3. marvin49 says: Jan 24, 2013 3:55 PM

Anyone who doubts him being able to make it back….I have 1 name or you.

Frank Gore

I for one would love for the Niners to take a flier on this kid and sit him on the bench for a year (behind Gore, Hunter, and James) to get completely healthy.

4. cball77 says: Jan 24, 2013 3:56 PM

Teams might be wondering, as I am, if he was actually going to be ready to go next year why wouldn’t he stay and play his Senior year for South Carolina to show teams he’s healed.

I believe he won’t be drafted but will be an early signing by someone in the Rookie FA signing period.

5. kluuuuuuuuug says: Jan 24, 2013 3:59 PM

Would be good for him to end up with a team that already has a solid enough running game where he isn’t going to have to be counted on for a year or two.

Selfishly would like to seem him in Tennessee, but either way hope he can get back close to what we was at before

6. jwreck says: Jan 24, 2013 4:16 PM

sfm073 says: Jan 24, 2013 3:45 PM

I doubt he gets drafted.
    ________
    Four questions. 1. Remember when AP slid because of injury concerns? 2. How dumb do those GM’s feel now? 3. How many seventh round players end up being true difference makers in the NFL? 4. Would you really not spend a seventh round gamble on the guy analysts were calling “the next AP” before a horrendous injury?

1st/2nd/3rd round draft pick? No. But undrafted? Very unlikely. Bo Jackson was a seventh round pick even after he told the NFL he wanted to play baseball.

7. source7769 says: Jan 24, 2013 4:26 PM

he will be drafted by round 3 someone always reaches

8. marshawnlynchlookslikepredator says: Jan 24, 2013 4:33 PM

Raiders with a late flier on him like Michael Bush

9. jwreck says: Jan 24, 2013 4:33 PM

cball77 says: Jan 24, 2013 3:56 PM

___________
    Why would he risk a third injury in favor of a cool 500k while showing teams he’s healed?

10. pioniere says: Jan 24, 2013 4:36 PM

________________________

Actually, Bo Jackson was the 1st pick of the 1986 NFL Draft, by Tampa Bay.

11. tdk24 says: Jan 24, 2013 4:40 PM

Garrison Hearst or Terry Allen ring a bell?

12. lsj30906 says: Jan 24, 2013 4:40 PM

hope falcons draft him and let him get football ready we still have snelling and rogers he can learn from

13. ethanhulk says: Jan 24, 2013 4:53 PM

I’d take a flier on him. He’s a young stud who will hopefully heal. I think he gets drafted higher than people think.

14. dafixisin says: Jan 24, 2013 5:02 PM

This guy could and should get drafted and put on the PUP list for a year. Then, in 2014, he could be that season’s version of Willis McGahee, or Michael Bush. There is a precedent of RBs pulling this off, quite successfully.

Given this, Lattimore should be on every team’s radar, around the mid to late rounds of the upcoming draft.

15. 23chameleons says: Jan 24, 2013 5:06 PM

He’s shown serious skills. 1st round talent in the middle-to-late 3rd round is a steal. As Pittsburgh learned this season, you have to have NFL caliber skills at the RB position to be successful.

16. milwaukeeraider says: Jan 24, 2013 5:11 PM

Bo Jackson was the 1st pick, but he refused to sign with TB. So he went back in the draft the following year and was a 7th round pick.

17. tfoz5150 says: Jan 24, 2013 5:42 PM

This guy will end up being the next AD or Ray Rice. Book it.

18. tennesseeoilers says: Jan 24, 2013 6:17 PM

This kid was my favorite college player–and I’m not even a South Carolina fan! Can’t wait to see him rock the pro’s . . .