Matt Schaub: I still think I can lead the Texans to the Super Bowl

Schaub Getty Images

Texans quarterback Matt Schaub played some disappointing football down the stretch and in Houston’s playoff-ending loss in New England, but coach Gary Kubiak has said he’s still confident in Schaub. And now Schaub says he’s still confident in himself.

Schaub told the Houston Chronicle that he still thinks he can lead the Texans to the Super Bowl.

Absolutely I can,” he said. “With the guys that we have and the way our team is built, I definitely think so. I’ve had that confidence in myself ever since I started playing. I always knew that I could do that. We have the right guys and the right coaches and … the right system.”

Schaub’s production declined late in the regular season, with just one touchdown pass in Houston’s final four games, but he’s not ready to concede that his play got any worse toward the end of the season.

“I think results changed,” Schaub said, when asked if he thought his play changed late in the season. “I don’t know about the way I played. We played good football teams, teams that were fighting for their lives and playoff spots. You want to play at a certain level all the time.”

If the Texans are going to reach the Super Bowl in the future, it would help for Schaub to play at a higher level than he did in the last six weeks.

Permalink 36 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Houston Texans, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
36 Responses to “Matt Schaub: I still think I can lead the Texans to the Super Bowl”
  1. maddbearfan says: Jan 24, 2013 7:11 AM

You just had the chance to do that and came up short. Got to grab the moment when it comes…and it don’t come that often.

2. Wisconsin77 says: Jan 24, 2013 7:16 AM

With the defenses having to defend against Arian Foster and having Andre Johnson as one of your WRs, very few QBs in the NFL are in a better situation. There is no reason why he should be struggling so much in big games with this offense. I think it is time the Texans start exploring other options.

3. benroethlisberger7 says: Jan 24, 2013 7:20 AM

Not a big game QB, never will be. He’s an average QB in a good system.

4. eastsideballa says: Jan 24, 2013 7:27 AM

This was your last chance at a superbowl, Texans will be 7-9 next season.

5. bigwinintx says: Jan 24, 2013 7:29 AM

4 games where he didn’t throw a touchdown and we settled for three in the red zone.

Twice he had the chance to lock up home field advantage and he couldn’t lead us there.

Twice he went to New England was flat out embarrassed by Tom Brady’s play.

He’s going to the Pro Bowl for his play before December when the wheels fell off.

He’s a great system quarterback, if your system is to remain as vanilla as possible. And has no arm to make the deep throw.
    Most of the dropped passes that he threw were either way ahead of the receiver that made the guy stretch or were down at the groin area when the receiver was in full stride.

Matt Schaub is not the man to lead the Texans to the next step. when all other teams stepped up their game for the home stretch, he sank like a lead weight.

6. bdl08 says: Jan 24, 2013 7:39 AM

“We played good football teams, teams that were fighting for their lives and playoff spots.”

You should have matched that level of play or exceeded it. You were playing for the coveted #1 seed in the AFC. Something you dearly needed to keep home field advantage. Look how well that worked out for you, Schaubie.

7. ridingwithnohandlebars says: Jan 24, 2013 7:46 AM

He should starting next season by declaring himself elite. It has worked for Eli and Flacco the last couple years.

8. brintfatre says: Jan 24, 2013 7:54 AM

Setting a record for QB with most drives that end in Field Goal attempts won’t get it done.

9. texanfan62 says: Jan 24, 2013 8:02 AM

Exploring other options like a new Head Coach.

10. randallflagg52 says: Jan 24, 2013 8:03 AM

It amazes me that guys like Andy Dalton, Phil Rivers, Tony Romo, Mike Vick, Jay Cutler, Matt Ryan, Ben Roethlisberger, Matt Stafford and Matt Schaub are given passes by everyone yet Joe Flacco is vilified by everyone. What more does that guy have to do to win you peasants over?

11. seeptermean says: Jan 24, 2013 8:08 AM

When I read the headline it makes Schaub out to look weak. He never said “I still think I can lead the Texans to the Super Bowl”, he was asked a question and he said that “he absolutely can” lead them to a super bowl. That’s a big difference in the way it’s said, you should be more responsible with how you write.

12. rjbell4 says: Jan 24, 2013 8:10 AM

Thanks for the news. We really expected him to say, “I don’t think I can do well enough. If the Texans want to win a Superbowl, they should find someone else.” Right…

13. ratbirdking says: Jan 24, 2013 8:23 AM

Second String Flacco: Matt Ryan
    Third String Flacco: Matt Schaub

14. granadafan says: Jan 24, 2013 8:25 AM

Which of the three Matt’s will get to the Super Bowl first? Matt Schaub, Matt Ryan, or Matt Stafford.

15. davekezer says: Jan 24, 2013 8:29 AM

Something about the Texans in big games… they just don’t have the juice.

16. 1oldpro says: Jan 24, 2013 8:29 AM

To beat those desparate teams, the Texans are going to have to find something better. Either beter players, or better coaches or both. That includes the QB.

17. miriv365 says: Jan 24, 2013 8:37 AM

As long as Gary Kubiak is at the head of this team, they won’t reach the Super Bowl. The guy is a mediocre coach and if it wasn’t for Bob McNair forcing him to hire Wade Phillips last year, his record would still be sub .500

18. joetoronto says: Jan 24, 2013 8:59 AM

“It was so strange, playing good teams.”

19. lightofkolob says: Jan 24, 2013 8:59 AM

Right guys, right coaches, right system, wrong QB

20. schmitty2 says: Jan 24, 2013 9:57 AM

randallflagg52 says:Jan 24, 2013 8:03 AM

Are you being serious?? Those qb’s get villified more than any other. I realize your a Raven’s homer but quit trying to drum up sympathy for your qb so he becomnes the “Super Bowl” qb that no one thought could do it

21. pillowporkers says: Jan 24, 2013 10:06 AM

That’s what happens. You play good teams at the end of the year. I’m sorry but losing to the Vikings and Colts (two great stories of the NFL and certainly franchises that are headed in the right direction) is what chokers do. Even though they are on the upswing, neither of those teams are as good or as polished as you, as they both had top 3 picks in the draft last year. Houston shut down Adrian at home even. They let Ponder do just enough damage, and only scored 6 points at HOME. This was supposedly one of the best offenses in football. Then you go to Indy and let a team that really had nothing to play for (certainly less than you) beat you? 22 points in 2 games to choke away that home field advantage is never good.

22. nflovercollegefb says: Jan 24, 2013 10:15 AM

I like Matt but in reality he’s an above-average QB who can take a team to the playoffs provided he has a good supporting cast. He is NOT the kind of QB who can carry a team and make people around him better.

Bottom line; he can have a good career and make a lot of money but I’m afraid Championship glory just isn’t there for him. No shame in that, it is what it is.

23. perkdogg2000 says: Jan 24, 2013 10:26 AM

Sorry to break the news to you Matt but Superbowls have small windows….. and yours just closed!

24. raiderlyfe510 says: Jan 24, 2013 10:43 AM

Elite Game Manager.

25. hedleykow says: Jan 24, 2013 11:33 AM

Steroids. That’s all Lance and I are going to say, Matt. See ya at the Super Bowl next year!

26. CKL says: Jan 24, 2013 12:00 PM

I think Hou is a good team, but not quite there yet, sort of like Atlanta (though Atlanta is probably 2 years ahead of Hou).

27. mungman69 says: Jan 24, 2013 12:50 PM

He had a chance and didn’t perform well. With the lack of good QB’s give him another chance.

28. htown1035 says: Jan 24, 2013 12:55 PM

First off, to bigwinintx, Schaub has only missed 6 games in 4 seasons, 8 if you count playoff games, so to say “It’s his first season that he has remained upright for the whole season, which means he’s almost like a china doll.” is just wrong. Please think before you post drivel.

Schaub beat the Broncos, beat the heck out of the Ravens, and beat the Bears – he’s capable. I think he lost confidence after the first Pats game and the entire team as well. They need another receiver to take pressure off of Andre, who’s the only receiver they have that can get open consistently against man pressure. When the Texans were down in games or the run game wasn’t successful, they needed to extend the passing game and didn’t have the personnel to do it.

Defensively getting Cushing back will help tremendously. He’s the leader of the defense, the tackle leader, and the play caller. With him out and Sharpton being out, they were relegated to running out guys like James, Dobbins, and Ruud. Can’t win with those guys.

It took teams like the Ravens and Colts years before they broke through – the Texans have had 2 straight playoff years with a young core. They’ll be back next year, count on it.

29. 4ever85 (aka Butch DeadLift) says: Jan 24, 2013 12:57 PM

Schaub is this generation’s version of Hasselbeck.

Or maybe I’m just a baldist.

30. nobisoreal says: Jan 24, 2013 1:38 PM

I think TJ Yates showed he is the future for the Texans. I’d be surprised if they don’t have him the starter by week 6 next season.

31. davetexansfan says: Jan 24, 2013 1:56 PM

All bias aside, I think I’d rather have Schaub than Hasselback. Hasselback did take the Seahawks to the Super Bowl but that was when Shaun Alexander was in his prime. (1,880 yds and 27 tds) That’s just absurd. Plus they had Joe Jurevicious AND Seneca Wallace! Having one of those guys, let alone TWO!?! That’s not even fair!

32. davetexansfan says: Jan 24, 2013 2:01 PM

And Hasselback has a 85-78 career win-loss record. So he’ll always be defined as a .500 QB. True, Matt Schaub is currently at 45-39, but he’ll definitely improve on that in the next coming seasons. (I hope.)

33. jerryjonesmustdie83 says: Jan 24, 2013 2:08 PM

Looks like like the curse if Doug flutie is alive and well in San Diego, Dallas, and Houston! Thanks wade!

34. flakeybiscuits says: Jan 24, 2013 2:10 PM

Ive been saying this since the beginning of the season, the dudes just a ryan fitzpatrick on a phenomenal team.

35. olympiacham says: Jan 24, 2013 2:11 PM

Just proclaim yourself elite and u lead your team to the superbowl. Apparently it’s that simple. See Eli Manning and Flacco

36. htown1035 says: Jan 24, 2013 2:59 PM

nobisoreal says: Jan 24, 2013 1:38 PM

———————————————–
    You obviously didn’t see him play this past season – he was god awful.