Ravens don’t want to touch Lombardi Trophy yet

Art Modell Memorial Tribute Getty Images

The Ravens got an unwelcome visitor at their headquarters on Thursday.

Aaron Wilson of the Baltimore Sun reports that CBS brought a Lombardi Trophy to Ravens camp to take promotional pictures of players standing with the trophy. The Ravens didn’t want any part of a trophy that they haven’t won, however, and linebacker Ray Lewis explained why they were opposed to the idea.

“Yeah, you see everybody wants to have you take pictures with it,” Lewis said. “Like I told my team, don’t ever take pictures with nothing that’s not yours, nothing that you haven’t earned. When we hold that Lombardi next Sunday, you’ve earned it when you touch it. Don’t fool yourself and try to trick yourself, ‘Oh, this feels great.’ Don’t go through that. I don’t believe in jinxes and all that. I just believe in, ‘Don’t set yourself up for something unless you’ve worked for it.’”

Lewis’ teammates agreed and the network had to come up with a different plan. The players wound up posing for pictures with a helmet instead.

Permalink 34 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Baltimore Ravens, Home, Rumor Mill
34 Responses to “Ravens don’t want to touch Lombardi Trophy yet”
  1. jaysay3178 says: Jan 24, 2013 4:08 PM

AND Ray Lewis has spoken!

2. savocabol1 says: Jan 24, 2013 4:11 PM

Presumably, the helmets will be cropped out and replaced with the trophy anyway. If that is the case what is the difference?

3. steelerben says: Jan 24, 2013 4:15 PM

The 49ers don’t want the Ravens to touch the Lombardi Trophy at all.

4. chuckyd317 says: Jan 24, 2013 4:23 PM

For once I agree with Ray… it pisses me off when fans touch he Stanley Cup or Lombardi Trophy when they have no business doing so…

5. raynman49 says: Jan 24, 2013 4:34 PM

Touch it now while you have the chance.

6. ravenator says: Jan 24, 2013 4:34 PM

Loving all these Raven threads. Its nice when theres only two relevant teams left. Rest of you haters can fall in line. Ray Lewis is most definitely leading this team to another superbowl! Cheers!

7. sdboltaction says: Jan 24, 2013 4:39 PM

They won’t be touching it after the Bowl either….

8. loveorhatethejets says: Jan 24, 2013 4:51 PM

lol

9. loveorhatethejets says: Jan 24, 2013 4:51 PM

writers on this site hate me i dont know why though lol

10. questforthesixthnotthelast2013 says: Jan 24, 2013 4:54 PM

Ravens are not losers, but the niners will pull this one out, they do things differently now than two thanksgivings ago!

11. pens5829 says: Jan 24, 2013 5:02 PM

__________________

Rather be a hater than a loser like yourself.

12. bigbenownsthenfl says: Jan 24, 2013 5:04 PM

There is a lot of pain in losing the super bowl as a fan. Steelers lost in 1995 and 2010. Both times cut like a knife. Here’s to hoping the Ratbirds experience the same pain! Cheers!

13. Nofoolnodrool says: Jan 24, 2013 5:04 PM

I am loving all the threads with so many people expressing their dislike for Ray Lewis and dismay at the warped values of raven fans..they see a phony for what he is…raven fans are pathetic..

14. faninvirginia says: Jan 24, 2013 5:05 PM

I just don’t get people still saying the Raven’s can’t win. They upset the Broncos in Denver on a short week and traveling, then they march inte NE and do something that hasn’t happened in 67 games. Come back to upset the patriots who were leading at halftime. Give them some credit. If they were not a good team they wouldn’t be there!!!

15. modellforprez says: Jan 24, 2013 5:15 PM

they know touching it is bad luck and with them being 1 win away they especially the old heads know not to Jinx yourself. you can touch it all u want after winning the game. Ravens 34 49ers 27. Smoking Joe just might get that touchdown passes record needing only 3 I can see him getting it.

16. wearewhowethoughtwewere says: Jan 24, 2013 5:15 PM

Ray Lewis is a cut above the rest.

17. sterilizecromartie says: Jan 24, 2013 5:15 PM

“Like I told my team, don’t ever take pictures with nothing that’s not yours, nothing that you haven’t earned.”
    ———
    Ah, the very rare quintuple negative. In a roundabout way, I guess that means they can take pictures with it.

18. my2cents27 says: Jan 24, 2013 5:24 PM

I agree with Ray, the 49ers are the superior team and I don’t think the Ravens should touch it nor will they ever get a chance to touch it!! The 49ers win this easily folks!!

Maybe they can touch it after the 9ers put a thrashing on them!

My Prediction: 49ers 31 – Ravens 23

19. Nofoolnodrool says: Jan 24, 2013 5:24 PM

I would say they will win and for the players I would be happy, but their moronic fans don’t deserve to be called champs of anything ….that being said they are destined to win…

20. kokoskmr says: Jan 24, 2013 5:27 PM

Ray Lewis and the Ravens are playing something different than the game than most teams going to the Superbowl are playing. Their game is bigger than the Superbowl…and it’s not a game!

21. ravenator says: Jan 24, 2013 5:27 PM

————–

So says the individual who posts on every single raven thread even though his team was 8-8 and is the only AFC team to miss the playoffs from last year. Fading into irrelevancym, yikes! I can literaly feel the pain and agony you are going through as you type your moronic posts.

22. kmkhaine says: Jan 24, 2013 5:30 PM

I love how everyone somehow thinks the 9ers are a better team.
    It is cute. Like the eleven year old who claims such self importance and vast knowledge.

Mr Tumnius – I mean Kaepernick is going to have an RG3 moment when he meets Sizzle and Ngata.

23. Nofoolnodrool says: Jan 24, 2013 6:00 PM

Somebody is upset and the record my team had has nothing to do with the warped values raven fans have. I have a little gas but no agony….your logic is absent as usual …but hey people on this thread are aware of this…cheers and double yikes junior .

24. Deb says: Jan 24, 2013 6:05 PM

Ray Lewis is absolutely right! What a silly idea. Not that I’m superstitious … but that’s just bad mojo. Those guys at CBS are dingalings. Is it too late to give the broadcast to someone else?

25. Nofoolnodrool says: Jan 24, 2013 6:07 PM

Since when does a teams record have a qualifying element in posting on the sacred raven threads? Raven fans don’t deserve you or your immature posts….I find a lot of ravens fans to be smart, logical,passionate and out of mental diapers unlike you…cheers

26. Nofoolnodrool says: Jan 24, 2013 6:26 PM

I love how everyone somehow thinks the 9ers are a better team.

Why are you reading ravenators profile here that is secret…
    ,on a serious note the game is decided on the field not with smoke and mirrors. Touch the trophy and play like you want it the way the steelers have six times…just saying

27. ppdoc13 says: Jan 24, 2013 6:26 PM

Keep popping off about how the Ravens are going to lose. You SF fans think that this game is over. Well, it ain’t. Kaepernick has never seen a defensea as good as the Ravens. He has an entire experience of 8 games as a starter. Meanwhile Joe has been in the playoffs for 5 years.

Dean Peas who is our DC was the DC for Bellicheck when he won SB’s. Given that old man 2 weeks to break down the SF offense and he will.

Vic Fangio who is the SF DC came from the Ravens. I worry about him. But Flacco has come very far from his fresh ans soph years.
    Ravens 41 SF 17

28. besafewithit says: Jan 24, 2013 6:45 PM

If I was a Ravens player, I’d be kinda pissed that Ray Lewis has appointed himself the dictator of the team and can tell them all what to do.

I’d take photos with it just to piss him off.

29. bmoresabres says: Jan 24, 2013 8:44 PM

Let me stipulate, don’t hate, just gravitate, learn to capitulate, take time to educate, and most of all congratulate when the RAVENS win!!!

30. Nofoolnodrool says: Jan 24, 2013 8:58 PM

bmoresabres says:
    Jan 24, 2013 8:44 PM

0 1
    Not sure you know the meaning of any of the ate words, but you get a 5 out ten for raven fan creativity…hey if they win good for the players they deserve it ..you..ah ..not so sure it’s obfuscated

31. pleasefirecam says: Jan 24, 2013 10:07 PM

49er fans will remember the Kaepernick that played the Rams and Seahawks, ummm yay he poured it on against two crappy defenses (GB and ATL) BFD! This pup will be demolished if he comes across the line and when he’s hit a few times, he’ll start launching it downfield in panic mode. That is when he’ll learn that water covers 2/3′s of the earth and Ed Reed covers the other 1/3

32. ravensman says: Jan 24, 2013 10:40 PM

Nofoolnodrool says: Jan 24, 2013 5:24 PM

Wow….so much time spent on hatred of people you don’t even know! It’s nice to have some comedy thrown in with the intelligent football conversations though!

33. halohonk says: Jan 24, 2013 11:25 PM

31-28 niners

34. Nofoolnodrool says: Jan 25, 2013 7:12 AM

You have it all wrong I don’t hate anyone not even the mental midget who embarrasses all raven fans on every thread he posts on. It’s all in good natured fun made to make you think without your usual team bias and to make you see it’s just a game played by men and watched by boys of all ages. Enjoy