Aikman sees Cowboys changes, but not results

Dallas Cowboys v Philadelphia Eagles Getty Images

Hall of Fame quarterback Troy Aikman sees the Cowboys making changes.

But he doesn’t necessarily see the Cowboys improving because of them.

“I haven’t seen anything up to this point that’s been done that makes me believe that this team is going to be better based on the changes that have happened within staff,” Aikman said on 1310 The Ticket, via the Dallas Morning News.

Like the rest of us, Aikman sees owner Jerry Jones rattling his saber, and coach Jason Garrett standing there smiling and nodding, while his power (the ability to call plays and employ his brother) have been gradually taken away.

Jones tried to spin it as a good thing for Garrett, but Aikman’s not buying that.

“That’s essentially what happened, or at least that’s the way it looks,” Aikman said. “Jerry comes out and says there are going to be a lot of changes this off-season and everyone’s going to be uncomfortable, I didn’t hear a comment from Jason Garrett with regards to that. I didn’t hear him say that during his post-game press conference or postseason press conference.

“So yeah, it’s got the look and feel as though Jerry’s making these decisions and I don’t know that that’s necessarily good. When you’re making staff changes and whether Jason’s on board with that or not on board with that I really have no idea.

“I think the difficult things is that this was a team the last two years that played in the last game of the season and went into Week 17 with a chance to win a division. If they win the last game of the year, they win the division. I just wonder if they had won one or both of those games if we would be looking at this team differently. And I think that we would, even if they didn’t win in the postseason.”

Aikman said he didn’t think a Bill Callahan-called offense would look drastically different, which makes you ask why change things other than to tweak Garrett. And if that was the only goal, then simply replacing him might have been easier.

Permalink 30 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Dallas Cowboys, Home, Rumor Mill
30 Responses to “Aikman sees Cowboys changes, but not results”
  1. joetoronto says: Jan 25, 2013 8:01 AM

If only Aikman could buy the team, he’s extremely bright and a straight shooter.

2. sadskinsfan89 says: Jan 25, 2013 8:04 AM

I love all this cowboys mess. Why doesnt jerry jones just be the coach.

3. seabreezes51 says: Jan 25, 2013 8:14 AM

Hopefully they keep that Romo throws into coverage and a pick happens late in the game in their offensive playbook.

4. thisonesforpat says: Jan 25, 2013 8:18 AM

Can’t win big games anymore…with Jerry calling the shots. Hey, he’s gotta look in the mirror!

More and more, he’s reminding me of J. R. Ewing -without Southfork or a gorgeous wife. All pipes.

5. Daboys says: Jan 25, 2013 8:26 AM

They are just setting it up to hire Gruden…. Theses are all Grudens guys, come on people.

6. mlenenski says: Jan 25, 2013 8:27 AM

Just hope Callahan doesn’t start hating the Cowboys too much, wouldn’t want a last minute game plan change in week 17.

7. ccjcsr says: Jan 25, 2013 8:33 AM

Aikman siad it all right here!

My Cowboys are a mess!

8. joecool16280 says: Jan 25, 2013 8:54 AM

Even if you never liked the Cowboys during his heyday you gotta love Aikman for keeping it real and not just BS’ing his way around his former team.

9. randygnyc says: Jan 25, 2013 9:01 AM

Over the last 2 years I’ve heard from insiders that John Gruden had balked at HC opportunities because he wasn’t confident that he could assemble an effective coaching staff. Now, Jerry Jones has essentially assembled that very staff, hiring 4 of Gruden’s guys. Jerry doesn’t want to fire Garret and eat that money. He really wants him to walk away after emasculating him. It won’t work. He’s just being penny wise and pound foolish. In the meantime, Gruden will DEFINETELY be the HC by the start of the 2014 season at the latest. Garret’s only chance to stay on is a Super Bowl win this coming year. Anything less, he’s gone.

10. iverpuke says: Jan 25, 2013 9:18 AM

As long as Jerry owns the Cowboys, no one has to worry about Dallas winning another Super Bowl. Heck, finding a spot in the tournament will be monumental for this club.

11. iverpuke says: Jan 25, 2013 9:19 AM

Doesn’t it seem like 1960 since Jimmy Johnson coached in Dallas?

12. misterzurkon says: Jan 25, 2013 9:35 AM

I hate to say it, ’cause the SOB handed the Bills their collective butts twice, but I can’t help liking Aikman. Dammit.

13. abninf says: Jan 25, 2013 9:40 AM

Jerry is going to hire Aikman as general manager and then will the team to him when he passes on. Jerry Jr. or whatever his name is will have no affiliation. One can dream.

14. justafanofitall says: Jan 25, 2013 9:43 AM

Jerry Jones needs to step back and let the people he hired do their job without him looking over their shoulders. He stills backs Romo who had what at least 3 games with 4 or 5 INT…..and he blames Ryan and Garrett for these losses. Maybe the change ought to be at QB. Seems to me the last game of the year to win the division Romo had what 3 or 4 INT. Just saying….

15. ppc50 says: Jan 25, 2013 9:56 AM

As a Cowboys fan, I agree with Aikman to a point. I’m glad they are going to a cover 2 , 4-3 defense which is a change, but Garrett is still there. Aikman has always been a huge supporter of Garrett for some clueless reason and it is time for a head coaching change. Gruden would instill passion and accountability on this team and bring a better attitude as well. It is time for Jones to fire Garrett, eat the contract, and move on.

16. bigalhebdman says: Jan 25, 2013 10:01 AM

And on another note, The Washington Redskins and the Philadelphia Eagles are extremely happy/ecstatic with the drastic changes Jerrah is making. Keep up the good work.

17. totallyuselessme says: Jan 25, 2013 10:04 AM

Aikman for GM!

18. bigbluefan11 says: Jan 25, 2013 10:23 AM

Aikman is a Cowboy through and through. Which is why he should never be permitted to announce NFC East games. His bias bleed through no matter how hard he tried to hide it.

As far as the Cowboys are concerned. They can make all the changes they want. Until they solve their GM problem, issue remains unresolved.

19. prince5000 says: Jan 25, 2013 10:24 AM

sadskinsfan89 says:
    Jan 25, 2013 8:04 AM
    I love all this cowboys mess. Why doesnt jerry jones just be the coach

___________________________________

I think we can all finally say that Jera is in fact the de facto coach now.

20. glazerh8er says: Jan 25, 2013 10:34 AM

Gruden would be a hell of a coach there- when he gets all of the toys he wants, he can put up some crazy points, otherwise, he’s at least average.

21. jasongentile says: Jan 25, 2013 10:39 AM

Troy for GM of America’s Team!

22. jbones77 says: Jan 25, 2013 11:24 AM

Do you people realize that after Gruden won the Super Bowl in his first year with Dungys players & most of the coaching staff. That he never again won a playoff game on the following 6 years? So basically Gruden = Barry Switzer. Enough with the Gruden talk.

23. cometkazie says: Jan 25, 2013 11:26 AM

I have liked Troy for some time, even as an announcer.

This confirms my likes. Some sense in Dallas, imagine that!

24. greysolon says: Jan 25, 2013 11:32 AM

I don’t even like the Cowboys and I think all these moves are good moves. Garrett has proven he can’t handle the OC job while being HC. Rob Ryan’s defense was merely okay and had very few turnovers.

If Garrett can’t get it done this year then move on.

25. Uncle Charlie says: Jan 25, 2013 12:34 PM

Ah yes Troy Aikman, average quarterback and terrible sports announcer an opinion that you can trust.

26. randygnyc says: Jan 25, 2013 12:51 PM

Jbones77- by that logic, was it not John Gruden’s Raiders team that Tampa bay defeated in that very same Super Bowl? Either Gruden was good enough to win the Super Bowl with “someone else’s” team or “someone else”. Took Gruden’s team to the Super Bowl. Which one is it, genius?

27. TD Hawk says: Jan 25, 2013 5:38 PM

Call me stupid but I think Troy, terrible on TV, would be a stand-out GM. Troy doesn’t suffer fools and loafers, I bet he could clean up the mess. He didn’t take crap as a QB and look at some of the fools he had to deal with. He would be closer to Jimmy Johnson in tolerance than anyone else in Jerrah’s favor.

28. dallascowboysdishingthereal says: Jan 25, 2013 6:57 PM

Aikman speaks the truth. Garrett has been neutered and is pretty much a lame duck. Jerry is making lots of changes but I also doubt they will get results on the field.

29. joetoronto says: Jan 26, 2013 6:58 AM

Uncle Charlie says:
    Jan 25, 2013 12:34 PM
    ***************************************************

Troy Aikman an average QB, LOL!

30. gammynomnom says: Jan 26, 2013 5:19 PM

It’s true. Troy was a VERY average QB surrounded by a lot of great players and a great coach.

Only 24 more tD’S Than int’s in his career, the most TD’s he ever threw for in a season was 23

In 6 of his 12 seasons, he threw less than 15 td’s.

Troy was never asked to carry a team because he never had to, and good for him he didn’t or he would never have sniffed a Super Bowl or the HOF.

Outside of one great SB game with 4 tDs, he was quite average in those, too.

I happen to like Troy, but I also like to remember things correctly.