Arian Foster on improving the Pro Bowl: Goodell’s not taking the hits

Houston Texans v New York Jets Getty Images

Texans running back Arian Foster says he respects the fact that NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell wants players to play harder in the Pro Bowl. But he thinks that’s a lot easier for Goodell to say than for the players to do.

“I see both sides of the coin, I really do,” Foster said on NFL Network. “But in all honesty, with all due respect, Mr. Goodell? He’s not out here taking these hits.”

Foster said he’d hate to see the Pro Bowl go away, but he also doesn’t think it’s realistic to expect players to hit each other at full speed in an exhibition game at the end of the season.

“The fans want a competitive game, but here you have players that have had 16-plus games, an entire season. Our bodies have worn down. This isn’t basketball. You can’t go play pickup football,” Foster said. “It’s a tough situation for both sides. I think it’s a good revenue attraction for the state of Hawaii. It brings a lot of revenue, brings a lot of tourism here, so you don’t want to see it go. And it’s a tradition for the NFL. So hopefully we get it figured out.”

It’s tough to envision a scenario in which “getting it figured out” entails the players playing as hard in the Pro Bowl as they do in a regular season game. The people who want that aren’t the ones taking the hits.

Permalink 97 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Houston Texans, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
97 Responses to “Arian Foster on improving the Pro Bowl: Goodell’s not taking the hits”
  1. timmillah says: Jan 25, 2013 7:06 AM

Just bring back the Pro Bowl Skills Competition and expand it to include EVERY player selected to the Pro Bowl..

2. lionscornbread90 says: Jan 25, 2013 7:06 AM

I agree with 99% of what Foster says. You can not expect the best of the best to hit full speed in this game.

The one thing I do not agree with is pick up football games….my buddies and I played pick up football, tackle, no pads until we were in our late 20s….Come on man!

3. sportsmeccabi says: Jan 25, 2013 7:06 AM

They sure didn’t have a problem when they wanted to hit Cam Newton last year.

4. thebigkahuna23 says: Jan 25, 2013 7:10 AM

I’m always so confused when people complain about the effort they see in the pro bowl. Do you watch the NBA all star game to see lockdown defense? No.

What they really need to do is bring back the pro bowl skills competition they used to show on espn2 and NFL network like a week or so before the game.

5. saudogg says: Jan 25, 2013 7:11 AM

Don’t want to play hard? Then don’t go. Simple as that. I’ll gladly watch the 5th alternates if it meant watching a decent game that isn’t half-assed.

6. vikingsvoice says: Jan 25, 2013 7:11 AM

Nor is Goodell forcing you to go.

7. mj1818 says: Jan 25, 2013 7:14 AM

I agree with Foster on both sides. I don’t want to see it go, but all players have played a full season, why should they be required to give 100% they put themselves through hell and all Goodell cares about is the pay day

8. cbas47 says: Jan 25, 2013 7:15 AM

If you don’t like to get hit get another job! No 1 forced you to play football #selfish

9. jagsfan1 says: Jan 25, 2013 7:20 AM

Roger is not taking the hits…but he should be.

10. 8man says: Jan 25, 2013 7:21 AM

I see his point. Some kind of insurance on all participants that provides a lump sum payout if an injury from the game impacts their career?

It’s all I can think off. That or turn this into a series of softball games.

11. mdbengal says: Jan 25, 2013 7:30 AM

It’s simple. Increase the winner’s share to $100,000 and drop the loser’s share to $20,000 and you’ll see how hard they play.

12. greenerbleeder says: Jan 25, 2013 7:30 AM

Nobody is forcing you to play, Arian. You don’t want the hits, stay home.

That being said, I would prefer a weekend of skills competitions featuring the top players. More tv time = more money. The league should love that.

13. giantsfan82 says: Jan 25, 2013 7:30 AM

Arian you and the rest of the NFL players signed up for playing through a 16 plus game season. You are getting paid to play a 16 plus game season. If you don’t want to hold up your end of the bargain by leaving it ALL out of the football field then you can use your degree and get a job like the rest of us. Or in your case, I’m sure there’s groceries that need to be bagged.

14. chattanola says: Jan 25, 2013 7:30 AM

I am dead serious when I make this suggestion: make it a Flag Football game.

Or, come up with Olympic style competitions and heats and televise that. I’d rather watch serious competition than the half@$$ed and half hearted play we saw last year.

15. ~Hate~ says: Jan 25, 2013 7:34 AM

And he’s right!!

16. Patriot42 says: Jan 25, 2013 7:37 AM

The game if you can call it that is not worth watching. The fact that they have been awarded pro bowl status should be enough.

17. britishraven says: Jan 25, 2013 7:39 AM

It’s the worst game in the season. I’d rather watch Browns v Chiefs in torrential rain and 50mph winds than the Pro Bowl.

18. filthymcnasty1 says: Jan 25, 2013 7:39 AM

Ironically, if players were to participate in an event like this that wasn’t sanctioned by the league, they’d likely be in violation of their contract terms. The Pro Bowl is reclic of a bygone era. There’s too much money at stake now.

19. discosucs2005 says: Jan 25, 2013 7:46 AM

I cannot understand the fans that think players are selfish for not going all out in the probowl. Why would they? They don’t get paid more for playing (the bonus is for making the roster), they risk getting hurt, and coming off like a jerk if they hurt someone.

I think they should just forgo the game, do the all pro rosters, and have those players participate in some skill competition stuff (fastest 40, strongest player, most accurate QB, field goal made from longest distance, ect.)

That would eliminate risk to injury, be about as exciting as this current system (if not more), and would make making the roster mean a little more because fewer players would bail out of it if the didn’t have to actually play a game, and basically just had to go to Hawaii and do a few games with their friends and rivals.

20. tannethrill says: Jan 25, 2013 7:54 AM

All players should get a bonus by making themselves available for the Pro Bowl and any that don’t make themselves available should not be eligible to be named to the game.

Then you’ll only have to replace the Super Bowl team’s players and the ones who’ll go want to be there.

21. iamthefootballjerk says: Jan 25, 2013 7:55 AM

Wish I could disagree with Mr. Veggie Burger, but I think the Pro Bowl is a farce. I don’t remember the last time I watched the thing, other than accidentally seeing it while flipping through channels. And I barely ever miss a full Sunday of games to my Wife’s chagrin.

22. 49erstim says: Jan 25, 2013 7:59 AM

@chattanola…… Flag Football. I thought the EXACT same thing as I read this article. Not only does that take away the hitting, but it gives the players something that they want which is face-recognition. Win win for everybody.

I also agree with bringing back the skills competition….I also miss the old school QB Challenge. That was always fun to watch.

23. Sometimes Interesting says: Jan 25, 2013 8:03 AM

Aren’t the players paid to play in the pro bowl? It’s not like a volunteer situation. If you’re getting paid, play.

24. jd82482 says: Jan 25, 2013 8:04 AM

@giantsfan82 your an idiot! He’s not bitching he’s making a valid point here! He’s right their bodies are worn down from taking hits all season let’s throw you out there and watch you cry like a girl after just 8 games! Look make it a flag football game I’m good with that and most of the real fans would be as well. Bring back the skills competition as well and I guarantee you wouldnt here any complaining

25. clayformvp says: Jan 25, 2013 8:05 AM

Players used to take pride in representing their team and conference and played hard. Now, all these over payed babies are happy to get the paid for trip to Hawaii but don’t want to entertain the fan that pays for the trip to Hawaii. On top of it all, when done playing the game, a game THEY choose to play, they and their families will sue the NFL for damages done to their body???? The NFL is becoming just like the NBA, little effort and a lot of drama!

26. jimiinpa says: Jan 25, 2013 8:08 AM

who really cares anymore?

27. cardmagnet says: Jan 25, 2013 8:13 AM

It’s the Pro Bowl. Nobody has been out there taking hits since back when Sean Taylor de-cleated Moorman.

28. giantsfan87 says: Jan 25, 2013 8:13 AM

why not just make the game flag football?? still fun nobody gets hurt

29. nananatman says: Jan 25, 2013 8:16 AM

I’ve never ever watched one.

30. fwippel says: Jan 25, 2013 8:17 AM

Here’s the problem: Nothing hinges on the Pro Bowl; the result of the game matters to no one, and that’s how it should be.

No player is going to give 100% in this game because there is nothing riding on his effort. The result of the game doesn’t matter.

So why ask players to give their all for a game that is meaningless? Many of the players are banged from the season, including those from the playoffs who lost last weekend, and are skipping the game. The players from the Super Bowl teams aren’t going to be there.

I don’t expect these players to give their best effort, and I certainly wouldn’t want to see any of them (especially from my favorite team) get hurt and risk missing any part of next season.

I like the suggestion of making it a flag football game.

31. hooks024 says: Jan 25, 2013 8:18 AM

how can anyone be expected to take a post season exhibition game seriously? it’s a meaningless game. as far as dropping the losing teams pay, do you really think guys like Peyton Manning and JJ Watts care about 50, a hundred grand? that’s pocket change. if you don’t like it, do what I do, and don’t watch it. if you want to kill 3 hours Sunday afternoon, go see “django.” can’t go wrong with Tarentino.

32. devildog911 says: Jan 25, 2013 8:19 AM

Yawn!

33. mrtrappedinmymindsr says: Jan 25, 2013 8:23 AM

Pro Bowl skills competition + NFL Game with flag football rules = safe and entertaining

34. ravensfan8780 says: Jan 25, 2013 8:23 AM

I agree with Foster, he made valid points for both. I still remember when Robert Edwards rookie running back for the Pats blew out his knee in some rookie beach football game and that ended his career in Hawaii. I doubt as an owner they probably don’t want their players out there, do you think the Vikings would want AP to get injured during the pro bowl and not be able to play next season.

I understand both sides of the coin, now with that being said I don’t watch the Pro Bowl because I find it boring but as long as people watch the Pro Bowl will be played.

35. raidernation210 says: Jan 25, 2013 8:25 AM

you get paid a kings randsom to play this game. You also get $25,000 if you lose and $50,000 if you win. You also get a free vacation to Hawaii and treated like a king while you are there. But you don’t want to take a few hit’s for all of that. Give me a break.

36. neer music says: Jan 25, 2013 8:26 AM

thankfully, adrian peterson’s not crying those tears.

37. lostsok says: Jan 25, 2013 8:32 AM

Other posters have hit it dead one. Do a skills competition in the afternoon, and a highlight/award show that night. THAT I would tune in to see. I haven’t wasted time on the Pro Bowl in 20 years.

38. rgb2425 says: Jan 25, 2013 8:32 AM

Scratch the pro bowl. I like the idea of having the Senior Bowl during this weekend to replace the pro bowl. And to include NFL players, have them do the skills competition before the game. This way, there are NFL players competing and there is a competitive football game to watch. At least the college seniors are out to prove something. At the end of the season and with millions of dollars invested in their bodies, NFL players aren’t going to play hard.

39. smokingto says: Jan 25, 2013 8:33 AM

You don’t want to take the hits, but you don’t mind taking the CASH! Man Up

40. vikesandravens78 says: Jan 25, 2013 8:33 AM

if it’s not gonna be a full-speed game, throw in more trick plays and line guys up at positions they normally don’t get to play for a down or two. I’d love to see Jared Allen run a tight end route like he did for Kansas City back in the day. There are a great number of possibilities. Make it entertaining!

41. ddogdaddy says: Jan 25, 2013 8:35 AM

Come on man. The Pro Bowl is what it is, your football fix when you are jonesing for some pigskin. I have watched for 20 years and I cannot recall the winner in any of the games. The players are playing what I like to call “kind of football” just as hard now as they always have. There is a reason why they play the Pro Bowl at the end of the season rather then at the halfway point like other major sports. Enjoy it for what it is until the Super Bowl comes next week. Top tier players playing on the same team with guys they most likely will never get to play with again. If you need to see some bone crunching hits this weekend you should tune in to an MMA event.

42. chc4 says: Jan 25, 2013 8:35 AM

Basically what Foster is saying is players want the Pro Bowl and the incentive bonuses that go with it but don’t want to actually have to play in the game. As a union employee this makes perfect sense to him. To the rest of society it makes no sense at all.

43. FinFan68 says: Jan 25, 2013 8:36 AM

Can’t play pick up games? Funny, I remember doing that all the time. Tackle, no pads. All we needed was a ball, a field and some spare time.

44. siriusred67 says: Jan 25, 2013 8:36 AM

It’s a meaningless game, so the players see no reason to put themselves at risk in a game based on high-speed collisions. The NBA and NHL games are played with about as much self-preservation (and zero defense), but it makes for a watchable game. When the linemen stand up and simply occupy each other for every snap, they are wasting space on the field.

Eliminate the game itself and just have a skills competition. Even the NBA and NHL use those events for skills contests like 3-point shooting, slam dunks, shootouts, target shooting, fastest slapshot, etc. Then, instead of playing a half-effort football game, showcase the Senior Bowl and the future talent of the NFL.

45. crubenst says: Jan 25, 2013 8:38 AM

They should make it a 9 on 9 or 7 on 7 flag football game. 3 lineman. No helmets. Good exposure for the players and they will play hard when there’s no hitting. Throw in a new Audi R8 for each player on the winning team and you’ll have yourself a game to watch.

46. ccjcsr says: Jan 25, 2013 8:40 AM

Pro Bowl is a negotiating tool for agents and players when its time for a new contract!

47. doorharp11 says: Jan 25, 2013 8:42 AM

And thats why he is sitting at home because he didnt want to take any more hits good luck in the lost season foster i mean post season… 16 games maybe be too much for him and some of these players.

48. sportsnut101 says: Jan 25, 2013 8:44 AM

Of course u don’t wanna get hit full speed in a all star game then don’t go Yes it’s a long season but u only play what 15 min of the game with all the subs quick scores. I don’t see 10 min drives lol
    But I don’t see u complaining about cashing the game check for the event.

50 g for winner 25g for loser

Never seen a bunch a men cry about all star game u are professionals
    We all played picked football As kids until late teens sumtimes without pads so he’s wrong there. Just shut ur mouth n play

49. colaworld says: Jan 25, 2013 8:44 AM

thebigkahuna23 says:
    Jan 25, 2013 7:10 AM

The difference is, basketball is a sport that can be played at half speed and still be exciting. You can have these fast break dunks and all that and still be playing half speed.

Football is not a sport that can be played at half speed and still be entertaining. It needs to be played at full speed. If the players in the pro bowl are not committed to playing full, and I do not blame them, speed then ditch the game. Do the skill stuff instead.

50. dmartin17 says: Jan 25, 2013 8:47 AM

Just don’t bother with it, it’s not worth the effort.

No one wants to go, everyone bails.

Just let it die out. We’re not THAT football crazed

51. nomoreseasontix says: Jan 25, 2013 8:48 AM

All the drama over a game that doesn’t matter.
    It’s only an exhibition. Anyone who watches it thinking they’re going to see a real game is a fool.

52. aaronmeeker0228 says: Jan 25, 2013 8:49 AM

I love the idea of an “intramural” style 7v7 flag football game with players playing both ways. Romo playing “linebacker” or safety…Jeff Saturday rushing the passer. Each team has three subs. EVERY team plays and it becomes a tournament.

53. conormacleod says: Jan 25, 2013 8:52 AM

Arian should at least produce some actual stories wherein players were severely hurt during the pro bowls of the past to prove his point. Hey Arian, Goodell took about as many hard hits last year as the actual guys outs on the field. And the defensive lineman might as well have been in the stands watching the game.

54. conormacleod says: Jan 25, 2013 8:54 AM

There isn’t something between full speed and the embarrassing joke that it has become? If not, cancel the game ASAP.

55. wewantmoretebowandfavrearticles says: Jan 25, 2013 8:55 AM

Move it back to after the Super Bowl. Players need more time to recover.

56. jojopuppyfish says: Jan 25, 2013 8:56 AM

Just have a banquet in Hawaii that recaps the season.

57. mybrunoblog says: Jan 25, 2013 8:57 AM

I understand the players don’t want to go hard and play at 100% intensity. That said, can we at least see 90% intensity? Play safe, play smart but don’t make it a joke like the 2012 Pro Bowl was.

58. SeenThisB4 says: Jan 25, 2013 8:59 AM

The Ravens and Niners are just as worn down as any of these guys, but they’ll be at full speed next Sunday. These guys are just full of it.

59. gettingpwned says: Jan 25, 2013 9:06 AM

Goodell clearly hasn’t seen an nba or NHL all star game. No defense in those either. Get over it Rog.

60. 2ndaryinsanity says: Jan 25, 2013 9:08 AM

Foster is right, whether you like it or not. The pro bowl is an exhibition game. Fans who expect to see regular or post season quality games probably shouldn’t watch.

61. riverhorsey says: Jan 25, 2013 9:11 AM

Drop the game it’s no good.

62. randygnyc says: Jan 25, 2013 9:18 AM

The only solution is through payment differential. Winner take all wont work, but a 75-25 split certainly will. Then, the NFL might have to increase the players money pool. Increase it to $200,000. Each winner gets $150,000, loser gets $50,000. After a year or 2, advertisers will see that the fans will be drawn back in and the NFL can recoup the players added compensation.

63. bartlettruss says: Jan 25, 2013 9:19 AM

I don’t think the players are hearing what’s being said, not just by the commissioner, but by the fans as well. The Pro Bowl has started to look like kids playing in the back yard. Fans are booing you. They want to see you display your skills even if you’re not going helmet to helmet.

64. weekendwarriorko says: Jan 25, 2013 9:23 AM

Apparently no one ever told Sean Taylor they were just exhibition games. Just ask Brian Moorman.

65. realitysmack22 says: Jan 25, 2013 9:44 AM

To the guy who said he and his friends played pick up football with no pads till there late 20s..how many of you were 200 plus pounds of muscle and good run a 4.4?..yea and sports sciences did an episode how the impact with pads on is worse then without..football vs rugby..football was worse..and I doubt you and your buddies hit like pro rugby players..soo..

66. stigman2012 says: Jan 25, 2013 9:44 AM

I’m sure this game is a money maker for the NFL or they wouldn’t have it, but I think it’s time for the Pro-Bowl to go. Nobody watches it. Nobody blames the players for not ‘giving it their all’ because who wants to risk a bad knee injury or some other serious injury for a meaningless game? Nobody enjoys the game because it’s a very vanilla offensive game planning for multiple reasons. The very top players don’t even get to play because of being in the Super Bowl or they just pass on the game.

This is the one ‘All-Star’ game among all sports that makes no sense.

67. letemplay says: Jan 25, 2013 9:44 AM

I think he’s on to something here. From now on the pro bowl should be a pick up game between Goodell and the owners with the players acting as the refs and deciding who gets fined the next week.

I’d watch.

68. realitysmack22 says: Jan 25, 2013 9:50 AM

Ooh yea..those tough guys who wanna talk about playing pick up football..remember..we also don’t have a contract with incentives for goals reached for next season..Id kinda like to avoid an injury in a pointless game to keep my value..of course they wanna do it..but what is they get hurt..ask Alex Smith what could happen..

69. eatitfanboy says: Jan 25, 2013 9:53 AM

Anyone who’s ever been an athlete on any level knows that the best way to avoid getting hurt is to play at 100% at all times.

A vast majority of the most serious injuries in football don’t occur as a result of hard contact anyway- most knee injuries occur from either a planted leg moving the wrong way or someone rolling up on you, not from a vicious hit to the knee.

What I am saying is this- these guys don’t want to avoid getting hit at the Pro Bowl because they might get hurt, they just don’t feel like getting hit.

70. 3yrsnfl says: Jan 25, 2013 10:04 AM

Make it a flag game still with all the live blocking. Increase the money for the winner and decrease the money for the loser. Remember…. no flag guarding!

71. 3yrsnfl says: Jan 25, 2013 10:06 AM

One guy got hurt a few years ago in a Rookie game that was on the beach. Tore up his knee. Did not come back. He was a RB for New England

72. 00reo says: Jan 25, 2013 10:06 AM

Fans just want to be entertained. For me it doesn’t matter all that much if it’s entertaining b/c it’s competitive or b/c they’re all laughing and joking around the entire game.

I’d watch it if it was something fun to watch. Right now it’s not. imo b/c they’re trying to make it into something it will never be.

73. weekendwarriorko says: Jan 25, 2013 10:16 AM

I knopw 50k sounds like a lot, but that is nothing to all (okay, most) of these guys who are paid multiple millions per year. Why would someone like Arian Foster jeopardize their career and the tens of millions he has yet to make on one game that gives him $50,000. I don’t blame him at all.

74. warsal says: Jan 25, 2013 10:20 AM

Like 3yrsnfl said, make it a flag game. I would rather watch that than the way the game is actually played now. Put random crap like smaller boxes to the sides of the field goal posts that if the kicker gets it in they get 4 points instead of 3. Might as well make it a gimmick game, no one gives a crap about it anyway.

75. howiehandles says: Jan 25, 2013 10:24 AM

Its a farce, and every football fan knows they’re not going to go 100% out there.

Maybe make it like the old “Battle of the Network Stars”

Have them compete against each other in non football games and competitions. Can’t be any worse than the game itself.

76. vicvinegar00 says: Jan 25, 2013 10:27 AM

You guys are not grasping the amount of dollars at play here. Yeah, $150k is a good chunk of change, but these are guys (for the most part) who are looking at multi – million dollar salaries next season…… assuming they stay healthy.

Would you go all out for $150k at the potential cost of losing $4M the next year? Or several times that over the course of a contract if you were to bust up your knee or something? Heck no.

I like the idea of the skills competition or even something wacky like the flag football game with JJ Watt playing QB and throwing to Eli Manning. You can recognize the “Pro Bowlers” and entertain without the facade of a “real” game.

77. hartleechung says: Jan 25, 2013 10:30 AM

Forget the probowl. Forget pickup games. Robert Edwards blew his career from a probowl pickup game.

78. monkeesfan says: Jan 25, 2013 10:31 AM

Foster’s priorities are all wrong. As a competitor, he’s and all the other players are supposed to be honored to be selected to the Pro Bowl because it’s a vote that you are an elite player. You are thus supposed to play as such and play to win. Don’t give us nonsense about taking the hits because you’re built to take the hits.

79. starfan79 says: Jan 25, 2013 10:35 AM

Then bonuses and free trips should be taken away from the players. They want the benefits of being a pro bowl player but they don’t want to participate? Hey I want a promotion and end of year bonus but I already hit my quota for the year so I’m just not gonna participate. I’ll be playing angry birds eating the free lunch.

80. 76raiders says: Jan 25, 2013 10:39 AM

It’s real simple. Either the game is worth something like in baseball where the winning team gets home field advantage for that conference, in the World Series. In football, the alternative could be to give the conference that wins the Pro Bowl, essentially wins the coin toss for the opening kickoff in the Super Bowl. If that doesn’t work, scrap the game, and then have an Oscar Awards like ceremony, that gives out awards, to individuals for excellence in their respected categories. Have the writers and coaches vote after the Super Bowl has ended, that way we can see who is the true MVP. One could argue that Colin Kaepernick or Joe Flacco would be strong contenders for MVP. Flacco took out Manning and Brady in consecutive weeks, while Kaepernick ousted Rodgers and Ryan. Plus the awards ceremony could still be held in Hawaii. That way players could still bring their families along for a nice vacation. Peace.

81. pillowporkers says: Jan 25, 2013 10:40 AM

Tell that to Adrian Peterson. He’ll be going full speed I can guarantee that.

82. matthewcarlson1 says: Jan 25, 2013 10:53 AM

if i could make 10,000 in one day….

83. cooklynn17 says: Jan 25, 2013 10:57 AM

Here’s what else Goodell is not taking, the bonus money you get for making the team, the extra money you get if your team wins and the all expense paid vacation for the entire family in Hawaii.

Please man up you little wimp! People are dying in this country so you can have the freedom to play ball.

84. FinFan68 says: Jan 25, 2013 11:05 AM

I hate what the pro bowl has become but some of these “stars” will be singing a different tune if Goodell finally decides to scrap the game. No pro bowl means no pro bowl selection and that means no “free” money in the form of contract incentives.

85. bkostela says: Jan 25, 2013 11:16 AM

FLAG FOOTBALL & SKILLS COMP.

The quarterback challenge was always fun to watch – I remember when randall cunningham threw the ball 80 yards. With today’s technology, they could expand the competition so much. Even punters and kickers would be interesting to watch.

I think one of the most unique parts of the pro bowl game is seeing all the different helmets with the red or blue jerseys. If they did away with helmets for flag football, they could have the conferences wear home or away instead.

One more thing – bring the game back to the week after the super bowl so all the players can participate. This time of year, the most spotlighted players are the ones on the two teams in the super bowl… and now they can’t even play.

86. wrdtoyrmama says: Jan 25, 2013 11:23 AM

Sorry, but the Pro Bowl game is about as stupid as the Super Bowl winners playing the College All-Stars in pre-season back in the old days.

These guys are professionals, playing for money, and you’re paying them 10k a piece, a monster discount over what they make in the regular season yet, you want them to go full speed? ridiculous. Pride? please, trip to Hawaii? most of them can pay to do that without putting their health on the line.

You want to make the game competitive?
    Offer the winners 100k a man, and the losers get zero, and that should ramp it up a few notches.

87. purplekoolaid1 says: Jan 25, 2013 11:50 AM

Arian, with all due respect, you get paid ten’s of millions of dollars to play this game. Either don’t go, or go and play like you know how.

88. xli2006 says: Jan 25, 2013 11:56 AM

Is it a game or a showcase? Either way, the fact that all of those top tier players are on the same field is cool enough to keep it going.

I see it as a Showcase, not quite a Harlem Globetrotters kind of thing, but I want to see flash more than I want to see players going all out.

I could care less if they are going at half speed. To be honest, I don’t want my team’s (Colts) players getting hurt in what is a novelty game to begin with.

It’s a trip to Hawaii after a long season and a chance to spend some time with opposing star players in a more casual setting. It is what it is.

89. mcdeez22 says: Jan 25, 2013 12:04 PM

I agree with Arian on all but one point. Bringing tourism to Hawaii is not a major reason for keeping the Pro Bowl. I think they’ll manage just fine without it.

90. cstill49ers says: Jan 25, 2013 12:16 PM

I think the pro bowl should be played by players on each teams practice squad. We still vote for deserving players and honor their achievements, however they don’t play. This game would be exciting to watch and the players from the practice squad would play all out to get some game time on film.

91. psilenttype says: Jan 25, 2013 12:30 PM

Name an All Star game in any proffesional sport where the players play hard?!

Why is this a surprise to people?

92. NotoriousKDV says: Jan 25, 2013 12:36 PM

Just turn the game into a 7 on 7 flag football game. I mean people are there to see the stars. I don’t think they’ll mind too much if you get rid of the offensive and defensive linemen. Then again, Robert Edwards shredded his knee in a flag football game and was never the same again, so maybe flag football isn’t the way to go either.

93. yizudien says: Jan 25, 2013 3:42 PM

Isn’t the Pro-Ball a force thing unless there is a good reason not to play. I remember a couple years back a few people who didnt go ended up getting fined for not honoring the privilege?

94. darksidecowboy says: Jan 25, 2013 4:10 PM

The only thing that will make NFL players want to go and want to hit would be cash. NFL makes millions every year, why not give each player on the winning team a million, losing team gets half a mill? i think that would be incentive enough to compete.

95. rcali says: Jan 25, 2013 4:11 PM

Foster may not like those hits but I bet he likes cashing his checks for playing in them! Can’t have it both ways.

96. spfripp says: Jan 25, 2013 6:35 PM

If I was Goodell I wouldn’t change a thing about the Pro Bowl as far as the game goes. I would instead allow fans tweet plays and randomly select the plays and announce who called the play and where they are from, maybe even allow them to post a pic of themselves for everyone to see. Than I would attract more fans to the game by offering package deals where fans who bought tickets would be able to participate in Pro Bowl events leading up to the game.

I live in Hawaii and I can tell you for a fact that the NFL has a strong fan base. Majority of the fans here don’t attend the game partly because the lack of effort put forth by players (which I don’t blame the players), the irrelevance of the game and that there is so much other things to do here. I have very little doubt they can sell out games here if they find a way to get fans who live here to attend the games.

97. dallascowboysdishingthereal says: Jan 25, 2013 7:08 PM

The Pro Bowl is a joke and to Foster’s point I can understand why they don’t want to risk career impacting injuries for a meaningless game.

Then just don’t play the game and have skills competitions this weekend at the Super Bowl. Let the Hawaii fans host a real football game with west coast teams on a Monday night game during the season. Bet they would enjoy that more.