Brandon Jacobs has no regrets over 49ers tenure

Brandon Jacobs AP

Instead of heading to New Orleans next week to play in the Super Bowl, Brandon Jacobs will have to watch on television as his former teammates take the field to play the Baltimore Ravens next Sunday.

Jacobs was suspended for the remainder of the regular season for conduct detrimental to the team in December and then released at the start of the postseason.

But Jacobs doesn’t regret his time with San Francisco and is still rooting for his former team to win the Super Bowl.

“My emotions are I want the 49ers to win the game,” Jacobs said, via Mike Garafolo of the USA Today. “I don’t have any regrets about not being there whatsoever. I don’t feel like I should’ve done things differently. I don’t feel anything else. I’m a hundred percent happy where I am.”

Jacobs voiced his frustration with the 49ers on a handful of occasions before being removed from the roster in December. He was suspended for conduct detrimental to the team after airing his frustrations on Twitter.

“I didn’t mean to disrespect anybody or hurt anybody’s feelings,” Jacobs said. “I didn’t have any disrespect. I didn’t mean to do any of that. I was told I would get some of the pie and I didn’t. That kind of made me a little upset and made me snap.”

Jacobs was inactive for most of the season before an injury to Kendall Hunter finally got him some playing time late in the year. He was active for two games and carried the ball just five times for seven yards.

Permalink 42 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, San Francisco 49ers
42 Responses to “Brandon Jacobs has no regrets over 49ers tenure”
  1. joshm5683 says: Jan 25, 2013 12:37 AM

Wow, the 1st semi classy thing hes said all year……..

2. YouMadCauseImStylingOnYou says: Jan 25, 2013 12:40 AM

The only reason this moron wants San Francisco to win is so his potential playoff share will be higher.

3. oldfart49 says: Jan 25, 2013 1:07 AM

Sounding very mature. Should get a gig next year. Good Luck

4. theysone says: Jan 25, 2013 1:33 AM

Jacobs is a moron, and a liar.

Could’ve picked up another Superbowl ring, and likely would’ve contributed after Hunter went down had he kept his mouth shut.

5. raiderinva says: Jan 25, 2013 1:33 AM

If the 49ers win Brandon Jacobs will get a ring. In 5 years no one will remember or bother to think about his actual role.

6. kappy32 says: Jan 25, 2013 1:35 AM

Being a diehard Giants fan, I have a soft spot in my heart for Jacobs & his throwback, physical running style. I loved it when he went off on Rex Ryan & called him out for all his baseless promises & guarantees after the Christmas Eve 2011 game. He was also the only player on the Giants who got everyone up for big games on a team that notoriously played down to the level of their opponents. With that being said, Jacobs was wrong with the way he conducted himself towards the 49ers this year. When he was with the Giants & lost his starting role to Bradshaw, he took it without an issue & played hard. He chose to go to the 49ers this offseason, knowing full well they had a top 10 RB in Gore, a talented young back in Kendall Hunter (a starter on 27 other NFL teams), and drafted a player who’s talent would demand touches in LeMichael James. Where in the world did he think he was going to get his touches? Making matters worse, he barely played in the preseason, sat out the first few weeks, then wouldn’t practice after being medically cleared to play following an insignificant knee injury. He put himself in a position where he was already going to be fighting for touches as the 3/4 RB in a deep rotation to an expendable part. For as much as I like Jacobs for all he did for the Giants, being a key part to their two Super Bowls in 4 years, he was a soft player when it came to injuries & rarely played through minor & common scrapes. He may have been promised a role on the team & in the plans for the season, but I am sure that role was contingent upon him doing what he was supposed to do. Things are not just promised to people for nothing in return, especially in professional sports. I’m pretty sure the expectations of him from Harbaugh weren’t for him to sit an extended period of time with a minor injury then all of a sudden expect that he’s going to be a big part of the team. This isn’t a great RB we are talking about either, and he’s definitely not a spread option / pistol RB; he’s a RB with a single 1,000 yard season. Jacobs needed to shut up, accept his diminished role, and hope for a reprisal in a different city in 2013. Jacobs proved himself to be a selfish, immature whiner & despite all he’s done for the Giants, I wouldn’t want him back on them if he took the league minimum. I hope his Canadian-French is good because the CFL may be the only place left where he can play ball again.

7. haminator says: Jan 25, 2013 1:38 AM

See ya wouldn’t want to be ya

8. brewcrewfan54 says: Jan 25, 2013 1:43 AM

He’s sitting at home while his former team plays in the Super Bowl and he has no regrets? Bullcrap.

9. badintent says: Jan 25, 2013 2:08 AM

This idiot had the same speech with the Giants. They cut his ass , now all he has is his fastass car…. before the repo man shows up. Next time he shows up on the Shark Tank TV show, they should throw him in the Tank. The sharks would probably throw him up.

10. frankyvito says: Jan 25, 2013 2:20 AM

Thinking maybe Harbaugh may have known LaMichael James was a better fit for the spread than Jacobs.

11. buddybowl69 says: Jan 25, 2013 2:38 AM

Sounds like sour apples to me. Also sounds like my Ex, couldn’t control what came out of her mouth, and after many, many times, she was off of the team as well. Hopefully she, I mean he finds happiness with some other team, just no ring.

12. irisheagle22 says: Jan 25, 2013 2:58 AM

13. forever9ers says: Jan 25, 2013 3:04 AM

Got millions of $$$ to bad-mouth your employer and being a cancer in the locker room. Yeah! I’ll say that was a good gig.

14. wayne1693 says: Jan 25, 2013 3:11 AM

Who does he think he’s kidding?!? He has plenty of regrets, & now is saying all the right things because his agent told him if he doesn’t…the NFL will be permanently in his rear-view mirror.

15. eastcoastniner says: Jan 25, 2013 3:52 AM

I wonder how many handlers were sitting around every corner when he was giving that response. Just doesn’t sound like him, but who knows, maybe he came back to the reality of where he stands in scheme of things. But most likely he is making nice so he can get another shot with another team.

16. henryd3rd says: Jan 25, 2013 4:49 AM

Yeah right! He’s got no regrets! And I have a bridge in NYC I can sell you cheap and I have another one in San Francisco as well. He’s worn out his welcome on two Super Bowl teams; so that has got to tell you something.

17. jharmon64 says: Jan 25, 2013 5:00 AM

“I don’t feel like I should’ve done things differently.” Says Jacobs, who has played his last down in the NFL.

18. rickeydynamite25 says: Jan 25, 2013 5:15 AM

Happy being at home huh?

19. slowlyimproving says: Jan 25, 2013 6:01 AM

As a Niners fan I really want to parse and tear apart his statements because I don’t like him, but the fact is he did get kinda screwed. There’s no way he joins the crowded Niners backfield without some kind of assurance that he would get carries spelling Gore. IIRC even Dixon got carries before Jacobs did (which I agree with, but I get Jacobs’ frustration).

20. pinion8ted says: Jan 25, 2013 6:30 AM

———————————————————-
    Where you are is NOT in the Super Bowl, because you’re an idiot.

The fact that you wouldn’t change a thing and you’re “happy” only proves that you’re a BIGGER idiot.

Grow up, young man.

21. sepl12 says: Jan 25, 2013 6:32 AM

Translation, I was told I’d get some of the pie, not have to earn it.

22. giantsfan82 says: Jan 25, 2013 6:41 AM

In other words….. “I’m not a loud mouth, no talent jackass I swear, NYG please take me back”

23. jpb12 says: Jan 25, 2013 7:09 AM

If you want a piece of pie you got to go take it.
    49ers don’t seem like they miss him. They have better players.

He lost the competition at RB

24. bigbluefan1 says: Jan 25, 2013 7:23 AM

And 10 days from now he will still be one of two 49ers who have Super Bowl rings

Manningham has one
    Brandon has two

The 49ers not on medicare zero

25. whatjusthapped says: Jan 25, 2013 7:53 AM

Just another loud-mouth, thinks he’s entitled, bad attitude NFL (or soon to be ex-NFL) player.

They are a dime a dozen and next year when reality sets in, he might feel regret if his over sized ego would allow it.

26. explosionsauce says: Jan 25, 2013 8:07 AM

Makes him look worse by saying he has no regrets. Teams don’t want your prideful selfish act Jacobs. You must be trying to get black balled.

27. Gordon says: Jan 25, 2013 8:15 AM

He just wants him some pie.

28. pixelito says: Jan 25, 2013 8:16 AM

Why would he have regrets about standing on the sideline all season?

He was an integral part of 2 Championship runs, why would he want to continue be a spectator for a team where has no future? He might as well be at home planning for whatever career he has left.

29. 49erstim says: Jan 25, 2013 8:24 AM

@kappy32…. Very insightful and well stated.

30. janvanflac says: Jan 25, 2013 8:29 AM

“As an Eagles fan, i wouldn’t mind having Jacobs as a third and one back, power house back is what were missing on those short yardage plays.”

NO NO NO.

for a big guy he runs like twinkletoes until he gets momentum. he’s (was) actually much better in space than in short yardage. and he’s a troublemaker. No thanks.

31. ccjcsr says: Jan 25, 2013 8:38 AM

One side of his mouth states he wouldn’t do anything different and the other says, I should have kept my mouth shut!

32. cometkazie says: Jan 25, 2013 8:39 AM

I wonder if someone could come up with a definition for “disrespect”?

It seems to mean whatever the utterer thinks it means regardless if the meaning is explicit.

33. sportsnut101 says: Jan 25, 2013 8:47 AM

He will get another chance. This league can give drug users n half the bengals who get arrested every summer second chances to play then he can

34. questforthesixthnotthelast2013 says: Jan 25, 2013 9:11 AM

I actually wish it had worked out, but your avg just wasnt there man, best of luck for you and yours!
    now can we please have some more Anthony Dixon!!

35. eatitfanboy says: Jan 25, 2013 9:30 AM

haminator says:
    Jan 25, 2013 1:38 AM
    See ya wouldn’t want to be ya
    ==========

Yes you would.

36. hopper15 says: Jan 25, 2013 10:17 AM

The fact that he’s saying he wouldn’t have done things differently tells me he just doesn’t get it.

You don’t voice your frustrations through social media. It’s not rocket science.

37. rhone16 says: Jan 25, 2013 10:45 AM

The Niners are all about competition under Harbaugh–there are no political appointments. If you want playing time, you have to be better than the guy(s) ahead of you on the depth chart (just ask Alex Smith and Colin Kaepernick). Congrats to Anthony Dixon, who worked his tail off to keep the spot Jacobs was supposed to take from him.

That said, I wish Jacobs well and I think he would be a solid addition next year for a team that lacks the 49ers’ RB depth.

38. granadafan says: Jan 25, 2013 2:32 PM

It’s hard to take anyone seriously who says that he’s happier to be at home and wouldn’t change a thing while his team is preparing for the Super Bowl and he’s mowing the lawn. Even Manti Te’o laughs at his lies.

39. amg503 says: Jan 25, 2013 2:51 PM

Hey, remember when all you guys thought that Michael James would be stuck behind Brandon Jacobs on the 49ers roster forever? Yeah, that was funny, huh?

Win The Day.

40. psilenttype says: Jan 25, 2013 4:13 PM

“I was told I would get some of the pie and I didn’t”

Lol he thought he was owed something that he never proved himself for! He got carries and got no where!

PS for amg503… Nobody thought James was stuck behind Jacobs! He was stuck behind Hunter… Jacobs and Dixon were fighting for the same spot (3rd/4th down power back)

41. timj997 says: Jan 25, 2013 7:07 PM

Anybody else think his agent chewed him out and told him to start mending bridges if he wanted to stay in the NFL?

42. toplesscorvette says: Jan 28, 2013 1:34 PM

He should not be rewarded with a ring because he was fired.