Jon Embree hired as tight ends coach by Browns

Jon Embree AP

After a failed two-year run as head coach at the University of Colorado, Jon Embree is headed back to the NFL.

According to Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain-Dealer, Embree has been hired by head coach Rob Chudzinski to coach the Browns tight end position.

“Jon is an outstanding football coach, and he has proven himself at the collegiate and NFL levels,” Chudzinski said. “He has coached some outstanding players in this league, and has also been instrumental in developing players in college who have gone on to productive pro careers.  We believe he can have a great impact on our tight ends, and I look forward to working with him.”

Embree was fired by Colorado in November after going just 1-11 last season. Embree won just four games in two seasons as head coach at his alma mater.

Prior to his time in Boulder, Embree’s previous two coaching jobs both came as a tight ends coach in the NFL. Embree coached three years with the Kansas City Chiefs on Herm Edwards staff from 2006 through 2008. After a season off, Embree joined Mike Shanahan’s staff in Washington in 2010 before being hired by Colorado.

Permalink 7 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cleveland Browns, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
7 Responses to “Jon Embree hired as tight ends coach by Browns”
  1. randallflagg52 says: Jan 25, 2013 2:25 AM

I believe this is what is referred to as a “missing piece”. (end sarcasm)

2. mf7krime says: Jan 25, 2013 4:28 AM

This was the news I was waiting for. Now I can go to bed.

3. benroethlisberger7 says: Jan 25, 2013 6:35 AM

What a joke

4. bringbackkosar says: Jan 25, 2013 6:49 AM

4-21 in two seasons, sounds like a perfect fit for the Browns

5. jcmeyer10 says: Jan 25, 2013 6:55 AM

As a CU Alum I just wanted to comment and extend my congratulations. He didn’t have the most success during his run at Colorado but by all accounts is a class act. I am glad he landed on his feet and wish him nothing but continued success.

6. dcbuff says: Jan 25, 2013 10:27 AM

I support my CU Alum’s. It wasnt easy cleaning up the mess after hawkins and hawkins jr.

7. td40 says: Jan 25, 2013 12:20 PM

LOL, here comes all the people who will judge a guy’s ability to coach a small group of a few players (TEs), based on how he did as a head coach of an entire team.

Keep swinging trolls- if I had a nickel for every failed HC who wound up doing much better when given a smaller task (such as position coach), I’d be rich.