Trent Williams was hit by a champagne bottle, Tasered in fight

Trent Williams AP

The NFL has confirmed the information we reported earlier tonight:  Redskins tackle Trent Williams was the victim, not the aggressor, during a fight early Friday in Hawaii.

“Trent Williams was the victim of an assault at a night club in central Honolulu early this morning and another individual has been arrested,” an NFL spokesman said.  “Due to an injury sustained during the assault, he will not play in the Pro Bowl and has been replaced by Matt Kalil.  Trent is still a member of this year’s NFC All-Star team and will be on the sidelines this Sunday wearing his jersey.  He will be credited with a Pro Bowl appearance and receive a full player’s share.”

Meanwhile, the Honolulu Police Department has issued a statement regarding the incident.

“At 1:30 am this morning, Honolulu Police Department (HPD) officers responded to a report of a large affray at a night club in central Honolulu,” the HPD said.  “Three males were injured during the affray.  Two were treated and released from the hospital, and the third male declined treatment.

“One male was arrested for Assault in the 3rd Degree and additional arrests are likely.  The HPD has opened an Assault 2nd and four Assault 3rd investigations.  The investigation into these offenses continue.”

Per Adam Schefter of ESPN, Williams was struck with a champagne bottle and Tasered — not by the police but by the aggressor.

Permalink 106 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Top Stories, Washington Redskins
106 Responses to “Trent Williams was hit by a champagne bottle, Tasered in fight”
  1. malachiofcourse says: Jan 25, 2013 10:58 PM

prolly cause he runs his mouth too much.

2. rg3knee says: Jan 25, 2013 11:02 PM

Williams is just chillin and for no reason a bottle comes flying and then he is tasered.. I’m sure he did nothing at all to provoke someone (I’m sure he would say the same about him sucker punching Sherman).. I mean when I walk down the street people throw stuff at me all day because I smile at them.. they need to drug test him because I see him relaxing for a few days..

3. Mr. Wright 212 says: Jan 25, 2013 11:05 PM

Sherman snickers.

4. nickbrezzy says: Jan 25, 2013 11:07 PM

ouchh

5. djcologne says: Jan 25, 2013 11:07 PM

What a massive turd…..is this guy’s maiden name Suh?

6. vikinganswer says: Jan 25, 2013 11:08 PM

Let me guess. This happened at the library.

7. ar1888 says: Jan 25, 2013 11:09 PM

Once again a player out after midnight getting in trouble. Nothing good happens after midnight.

8. urfinished says: Jan 25, 2013 11:10 PM

In related news PacMan Jones is not allowed back to Hawaii.

9. hedleykow says: Jan 25, 2013 11:12 PM

If you’re gonna pick a fight with Trent Williams, probably wise to have taser ready.

10. nyyjetsknicks says: Jan 25, 2013 11:16 PM

11. sportsmeccabi says: Jan 25, 2013 11:17 PM

This must worry RG3.

His left tackle can’t even protect himself.

12. dlions18 says: Jan 25, 2013 11:19 PM

Don’t taze me bro!

13. husky2score says: Jan 25, 2013 11:21 PM

Wait I thought they had curfews for Pro Bowl teams! What in the blazes is Williams doing at 1:30 in the morning?! This is footbaw!

14. boobschannel says: Jan 25, 2013 11:22 PM

if the guy who tasered him was my size, and it turns out williams started the fight, one could assume two things:

a) a self defense claim would be justified
    b) there will be lawsuits

15. tanmarino17 says: Jan 25, 2013 11:22 PM

Men shouldn’t carry tasers.

16. bradford08 says: Jan 25, 2013 11:23 PM

Champagne bottle? Is that what all the young kids are drinking at the club these days?

Unbelievable!

17. eatitfanboy says: Jan 25, 2013 11:25 PM

Affray?

18. cubsin2049 says: Jan 25, 2013 11:27 PM

Fights on the field….
    Fights in bars…..
    One word describes you TW: Is it pro (no). Is it classy (no).

It’s PUNK!

19. hannahsdaddy says: Jan 25, 2013 11:33 PM

Book em Dano!

20. redskinfansince82 says: Jan 25, 2013 11:35 PM

Man stay up out of those clubs!!! What kind of security due they have if you can get a taser up in there. Thank god it wasn’t a real Gun.

21. 69jaredallen69 says: Jan 25, 2013 11:35 PM

Bryant McKinnie now has company for weirdest appearance at the Pro Bowl

22. pike573 says: Jan 25, 2013 11:39 PM

So it seems that some people on here side with Sherman in that incident? He’s lucky he only got mushed.

23. caseyanthonymunoz says: Jan 25, 2013 11:41 PM

Champagne thrower is more accurate than Sanchize.

24. tfbuckfutter says: Jan 25, 2013 11:44 PM

I would happily spend a night in jail and then do a stretch of probation for a story as cool as “I hit an NFL Pro Bowler with a champagne bottle and then tased* him”

*This is the proper form for what happens when one is hit with a Taser….much like bread that has been placed in a toaster has been “toasted” not “toastered”.

25. xplicitpits says: Jan 25, 2013 11:44 PM

#UMADBRO

26. xplicitpits says: Jan 25, 2013 11:46 PM

Couldn’t of happened to more of a classless individual! “Victim of Assault” PLEASE
    And somebody said this clown was better then Okung! Check the Resume! Okung took down done of the best this year! #GOHAWKS

27. jaxbill says: Jan 25, 2013 11:46 PM

“Well sir, we were going to this bingo parlor at the YMCA, well one thing led to another, and the instructions got all fouled up… “

28. rukkus1 says: Jan 25, 2013 11:46 PM

what is karma?

29. swagger91 says: Jan 25, 2013 11:47 PM

Damn chris brown and drake in hawaii?

30. thegreatgabbert says: Jan 25, 2013 11:51 PM

At some point in the middle of the affray, a hockey game broke out. Mr. Williams, may have been cut by a high stick. No charges have been laid, but the referees present issued a game misconduct with the possibility of further discipline.

31. Mr. Wright 212 says: Jan 25, 2013 11:53 PM

tanmarino17 says: Jan 25, 2013 11:22 PM

Men shouldn’t carry tasers.
    —————————-

When you’re 175 and a 330 lb elephant is in the room, you do.

32. mcjon22 says: Jan 25, 2013 11:54 PM

Since this happened in Hawaii I am going to assume the 3 men were fighting over a female that didn’t even really exist

Manti Te’o

33. mazblast says: Jan 25, 2013 11:55 PM

nyyjetsknicks says:

——————————
    You forgot the other possibilities–that the guy was really stupid, or that he had consumed a lot of liquid or powdered courage.
    ——————————
    tanmarino17 says:

Men shouldn’t carry tasers.
    ——————————
    I’m sure that Plaxico would rather have been carrying a taser.

34. dallascowboysdishingthereal says: Jan 26, 2013 12:08 AM

“Nothing good happens after midnight.”

It sounds like it wasn’t his fault but if you are going to hang in clubs all night, stuff will happen. Just sayin’

35. millerhour says: Jan 26, 2013 12:13 AM

Who decided to use the word “affray”?

36. thepftpaperchase says: Jan 26, 2013 12:15 AM

The NFL has confirmed the information we reported earlier tonight
    __________________________________

Which report are you referring to? Your first post which mentioned Bryant McKinnie? Nothing like jumping to conclusions.

37. slaughterrt says: Jan 26, 2013 12:20 AM

Conspiracy Theory …

Matt Kalil is from the islands correct? Well suppose one of his boys decides to take out Willy. Matt now brought up to his first Pro Bowl.

This is purely speculation…just something to think about.

38. lesterclan says: Jan 26, 2013 12:21 AM

I want to thank all you posters. Just when I lose all faith in my fellow man, you guys come through and make me laugh my butt off!!! Great posts, solid effort! Thank you.

39. seadouble says: Jan 26, 2013 12:25 AM

Word is, the person in custody is Lennay Kekua.

40. lesterclan says: Jan 26, 2013 12:26 AM

oh, and I agree…a Champage bottle?! What were these young folks listening to, Lawrence Welk?

41. daknight93 says: Jan 26, 2013 12:27 AM

hit over head with a bottle and tasered…no way he’s playing in pro bowl getting smashed like that..Good Grief!!

42. commonsensedude says: Jan 26, 2013 12:44 AM

Does anybody know the whereabouts of Richard Sherman and his buddies?

43. packfaninvikeland says: Jan 26, 2013 12:56 AM

Sounds like he had a good night.

44. omniscient48 says: Jan 26, 2013 12:56 AM

“I’m going to need to see a picture of the guys that did this. This guy is huge or has a big pair of you know what.”

It was Richard Sherman.

45. truecowboyfan says: Jan 26, 2013 1:04 AM

Why is everybody in disbelief that Trent Williams was attacked without doing anything? I went out. I hung out in clubs constantly and never started a fight in my life.

That’s not saying I wasn’t in plenty of them though. There are a lot of A-Holes out there who like to start fights and naturally men that are not cowards (rich or not) are going to stand up for themselves.

46. buckybadger says: Jan 26, 2013 1:11 AM

I know the general public will still throw jabs as we see here but that is just their stupid nature. I was a bouncer for many years at a downtown bar in a major city and unfortunately these guys just can’t go out and have a time like you and I can. They are always targets for guys who are either jealous or just looking to take their money. Maybe he was running his house but in my experience he was a target.

47. trippymane says: Jan 26, 2013 1:12 AM

KARMA… LMAO!!

48. buckybadger says: Jan 26, 2013 1:14 AM

nyyjetsknicks says:
    Jan 25, 2013 11:16 PM

—————————

Has little to do with size in a fight and you have your buddies there. Trust me, plenty of guys look for targets like football players because they tend to carry to much cash on them.

49. swagger52 says: Jan 26, 2013 1:15 AM

Tom Brady carries a Taser on the field, because sometimes kicking somebody and pulling hair doesn’t work.

50. iamthefootballjerk says: Jan 26, 2013 1:17 AM

Man, I sure hate when I am am innocently standing around, not instigating a thing, and I get smacked by a bottle. I said never.

51. swagger52 says: Jan 26, 2013 1:17 AM

If you drag a $5 dollar bill thru a bar, you will attract the wrong element and the NFL player loses…just ask Ray Lewis.

52. dabearsk says: Jan 26, 2013 1:21 AM

I’ve heard of liquid courage before but taser courage? Wtf…if you’re a dude..what’s up with carrying a taser in a club..and you throw a champagne bottle too? Good to hear that it looks like Williams was not at fault…I know the cat has made some mistakes but he has sounded pretty remorseful when I have heard him..hope he keeps his life in line..

53. larryboodry says: Jan 26, 2013 1:31 AM

Brandon Marshall wants an explanation.

54. themackstrong says: Jan 26, 2013 1:32 AM

Oh I can’t help but laugh and say its karma for being a punk in general. Throwing shots hiding behind your helmet and visor when you’re 120 lbs heavier than another man, I’m sure he tried to act tough with the wrong person and got taken out of the champagne room in an ambulance. Classy dude..

55. catman72 says: Jan 26, 2013 1:37 AM

Don’t taze me bro!

56. ravenscaps48 says: Jan 26, 2013 1:48 AM

Was it Richard Sherman who threw the bottle?

57. lks311 says: Jan 26, 2013 1:51 AM

Where was Ndamukong Suh when this all jumped off? I’m just sayin’.

58. 44boz says: Jan 26, 2013 2:26 AM

Te’o’s girlfriend?

59. archetypeobscure says: Jan 26, 2013 2:30 AM

Don’t tase me bro!

60. twisteditoff says: Jan 26, 2013 2:36 AM

he belongs in loserania like the rest of the losers

61. belgaron says: Jan 26, 2013 2:37 AM

Williams and Hall…dumb and dumber. Maybe they could sue for brain damage from playing on FedEx Field.

62. seabronco says: Jan 26, 2013 5:29 AM

Great job random guy! Maybe he will learn to shut up from now on. He’s lucky the guy only used a taser on him and he wasn’t packing real heat.

63. speckers says: Jan 26, 2013 6:15 AM

Spare me the victim card. These guys walk into clubs acting like their $hit doesn’t stink and they own the place. They treat others like they are nothing and they are caudled athletes. I’m sure what he got was because he had it comin!

64. flaccodelic says: Jan 26, 2013 6:43 AM

Is “affray” some kind of Hawaiian word for a bunch of rich idiots pissing away their good fortune?

65. jamesbarnes says: Jan 26, 2013 6:44 AM

Lets be realistic, if the story is accurate and Silverback was smashed with a bottle and then tazed by somebody, you can’t really suggest he’s at fault for anything here and to compare him to Suh is silly. Even if he was “running his mouth” as some suggest, that’s not a crime and isn’t fair grounds for any sort of physical assault.

That being said, it’s disappointing that Williams is trying to take on a grown-up role after his previous failed test, yet is still out clubbing at 1:30. It’s not inherently wrong to be enjoying yourself as a young man, but it could show a lack of maturity when you put yourself in these situations.

66. oldguardof60s says: Jan 26, 2013 6:51 AM

Kalil is in now? ALLRIGHT! What is that now, 7 Vikings going to pro bowl versus what, like 2 packers? I know, who’s counting, but I think it’s hilarious after a local packer radio host (in Mpls.) predicted 6 packers would get in and 3 Vikes.

67. gammynomnom says: Jan 26, 2013 7:10 AM

Man, that late night choir practice really turned up a notch.

68. greenbaypeckers says: Jan 26, 2013 8:05 AM

Dog the bounty hunter is on the case.

69. kd75 says: Jan 26, 2013 8:06 AM

Book em Dano

70. JMil_ATL says: Jan 26, 2013 8:08 AM

Book ‘em Danno.

71. eshine76 says: Jan 26, 2013 8:11 AM

Well, we know that Trent Williams and Ray Lewis don’t have the same friend circles.

72. fuglyflorio says: Jan 26, 2013 8:18 AM

Redskins again … LOL … what a bunch.

73. dccowboy says: Jan 26, 2013 8:23 AM

What was it Grnadma used to say, “Nothing good happens in a nightclub after midnight.”

74. wikipediasaidso says: Jan 26, 2013 8:27 AM

Gotta love the HPD statement. When was the last time you heard any mainland police department describe a barroom brawl as an “affray”?

75. drekomp says: Jan 26, 2013 8:28 AM

Trent McKinnie

76. shaggytoodle says: Jan 26, 2013 8:33 AM

Forget Tebowing or Kaepernicking, Everyone needs to start Silverbacking.

Does he still go by that nickname or am I thinking of the wrong guy?

77. howiefeltersnatch says: Jan 26, 2013 8:36 AM

When good times go bad

78. nokoolaidcowboy says: Jan 26, 2013 8:42 AM

When will they learn. NOTHING good ever comes from being out after midnight. Especially if you are a sports celebrity. Someone throws something and then some Urkel gets hurt and then comes the lawsuit.

79. drtharrison says: Jan 26, 2013 8:47 AM

I was young once, and part of a big partying community (heavy metal). I have had more than my share of drinks, and have also been a bartender at a well populated rock club.

But why on earth does any club allow for the patrons to have the BOTTLE (regardless of what is in it) from behind the bar? There is no reason for it. They will drink it too fast, get FUBAR too fast, and then, oh yeah, might throw it at someone.

There was a guy in Jacksonville who had the same thing happen.

Oh yeah, I am from Hawai’i. Never saw that when I was young.

80. sammyias says: Jan 26, 2013 8:50 AM

Only an experienced person like myself should be asked to fire it up, and pop the champagne.

81. Patriot42 says: Jan 26, 2013 9:13 AM

Immature oversized athletes need the night life.

82. zn0rseman says: Jan 26, 2013 9:26 AM

Matt Kalil > Trent Richardson

83. tunescribe says: Jan 26, 2013 9:47 AM

Note to Roger Goodell: If the players themselves don’t take the Pro Bowl seriously, why should we? Time to end this joke of an event.

84. autumnwind999 says: Jan 26, 2013 9:49 AM

I’m tired of hearing the old ‘Nothing good ever happens after {fill in the blank} am’ line. Are you kidding me? Nothing? That’s when some of the best stuff happens.

85. hollywood26 says: Jan 26, 2013 9:49 AM

I have actually been to the pro bowl. The regular guys HATE the pro bowlers because they take the women and they mention that to the players but feel free to randomly hate

86. ziplock10 says: Jan 26, 2013 10:00 AM

Whats ironic is that Trent is just a typical young man. Smoked some weed. Straightened out.

Shoved a crackhead blowhard who got into his face after a bitter loss.(Richard Sherman)

Other than those 2 things, he has never been a problem. Always been real humble and quiet.

87. oaklegend says: Jan 26, 2013 10:02 AM

Get in your room early and there are no problems.

88. granadafan says: Jan 26, 2013 10:09 AM

@drtharrison, I don’t know what kind of dive bars you used to go to but the nightclubs have a bottle service in VIP areas. Clubs make bucks off the bottle service so guys can just drink at a table without having to go up to the bar and “impress” the ladies into thinking they’ve got enough money on bottle service.

89. delshofner says: Jan 26, 2013 10:17 AM

Tuiasosopo !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

90. silverhornet says: Jan 26, 2013 10:58 AM

What the affray is going on here?

91. djohnson757 says: Jan 26, 2013 11:23 AM

STILL A GOOD TACKLE!…HAIL!!!

92. duncanthecat says: Jan 26, 2013 11:36 AM

Don’t TAZ me bro!

93. skins23 says: Jan 26, 2013 12:17 PM

Ya’ll haters kill me. This guy had a great year and gets invited to his first pro bowl and doesn’t have a right to be out celebrating 2 nights before that farce of a game? I’m sure he wasnt the only player out.

People need to get over themselves. You all would kill to be living the life he does, getting an all expense paid trip to Hawaii with all the perks for doing your job well.

The same idiots saying he “deserves” it are probably the same morons saying Sean Taylor “deserved” it for sleeping in his home while intruders broke in.

Haters gonna hate. I’ll take Trent over any other LT out there.

94. skinsdiehard says: Jan 26, 2013 12:29 PM

I agree with skins23. Football players or athletes in general do not have to live in a vacuum. He can go out at night. It’s what young people do. I have no problem. I’m sure Peyton Manning goes out.

95. redskinfansince82 says: Jan 26, 2013 12:51 PM

Besides isn’t that assault with 2 deadly weapons. Man where was Ray Lewis when you need him. “No weapon formed against me shall prosper”. LMAO!!!!

96. jsrdc says: Jan 26, 2013 12:55 PM

@skins23,

I am SURE you were ALL OVER anything reported in the news about Dez Bryant (or any other player from the Eagles, Giants, or Cowboys) and any incident at a night club. And now it happened to one of your own 4-skin players. Haters kill you, but undoubtedly you are guilty of your own hate. Don’t be a hypocrite.

Finally the real story emerges. At first it was thought this happened on the practice field. Now the real deal is known. You don’t get hit by a champagne bottle AND tasered if you are innocently hangin’ at a club. Williams is big, strong, and certainly his mouth has no problem mentioning it.

Williams, I am sure, ran his mouth to the wrong person, and is now in the midst of the PR storm. You’ll take Williams over any other LT because you are a homer. But in the meantime, the 4-skin players will all be watching the SB as spectators because your team was beat down (at home, no less) by a superior team in the Seahawks.

Yes, you won the NFC East, but no trophies or accolades are given for winning the division. You 4-skin fans have no problem pointing out the division rival Cowboys haven’t won a SB since ’96, but your 4-skins haven’t won the Sb since ’91. RGIII and his knee won’t be helping to that effect anytime soon. In the meantime, your boy Williams won’t be playing in the SB OR Pro bowl. Stupid is as stupid does, and Williams’ actions are self-explanatory.

97. bigalhebdman says: Jan 26, 2013 1:05 PM

Book um Dano!

98. bkunza says: Jan 26, 2013 1:17 PM

“Nothing good happens after midnight”, every athlete should live by that moto!

99. skinsfansince71 says: Jan 26, 2013 1:25 PM

You are correct when you say that Washington hasn’t won a SB in over 20 years. But the Seahags have NEVER won a Sb

100. countduku says: Jan 26, 2013 2:55 PM

I can’t believe it’s just a coincidence that so many nfl players seem to find trouble in their time off. they should make the rules even more strict, and the fines heavier.

101. beastmode5150 says: Jan 26, 2013 3:16 PM

And people thought Richard Sherman was in the wrong after the skins vs hawks game. This guy is a piece of garbage.

102. theclaim says: Jan 26, 2013 4:57 PM

sportsmeccabi says:
    Jan 25, 2013 11:17 PM
    This must worry RG3.

His left tackle can’t even protect himself.

RGIII isn’t worried. I have a taser and a champagne bottle… Meet me somewhere? Let’s see what kind of GAURDIAN you are? Internet coward! SURELY a TITLELESS Seahawks fan

103. tyn27 says: Jan 26, 2013 5:24 PM

If anyone on here knows Hawaii and the nightclub seen it is very very believable that he was the victim. Some of the locals are just plane stupid at the clubs and look for a race other then there own to mess with.

104. jwreck says: Jan 26, 2013 5:58 PM

zn0rseman says: Jan 26, 2013 9:26 AM

Matt Kalil > Trent Richardson
    _________
    What an unnecessarily confusing comment. Matt Kalil is unquestionably better than Trent Richardson. Trent Williams, no. But Richardson, without question. Hey, give the kid a couple years though, he’ll be right up there. You also have to keep in mind that Williams and Kalil are completely different styles of player. Williams is a speedy zone-blocking, Shanahan-style tackle, while Kalil is a more traditional rock solid book-end. Kalil will be great, but his strength is in his reliability and pass-blocking. While Williams is also a solid pass-blocker, his strength is in his mobility, speed, and downfield blocking ability.

105. theclaim says: Jan 26, 2013 6:23 PM

jwreck says:
    Jan 26, 2013 5:58 PM
    zn0rseman says: Jan 26, 2013 9:26 AM

Matt Kalil > Trent Richardson
    _________

Well put jwreck

106. musicman495 says: Jan 26, 2013 7:14 PM

Probably assaulted by loudmouths like the types who frequent this site, or the Seahawks secondary. (Nice to see Drew Brees torching Earl Thomas at practice the other day.)

How about you geniuses ask Charles Barkley what it it like when drunken bar patrons take on a pro athlete with taunts and racial epithets, and the pro athlete cannot fight back because he would kill the guy, get charged with a felony, or both.