NFC Championship - San Francisco 49ers v Atlanta Falcons Getty Images

During a late-season dry spell that came after the 49ers changed from Alex Smith to Colin Kaepernick at quarterback, tight end Vernon Davis saw his production evaporate.

While he mentioned to the media that Kaepernick and Davis need to develop chemistry and that it has been a difficult season due to his lack of involvement in the offense, Davis never complained.  Not the way he would have a few years ago.

“As the team was winning and having success, I’d probably have been the one complaining,” Davis told Michael Silver of Yahoo! Sports.  “I would have probably been in the media, making a scene, going to the coach and just being a cancer to the team.”

Those days ended, apparently with former coach Mike Singletary’s decision to send Davis to the showers, followed by that epic “can’t win with ‘em” rant.

This time around, patience has paid off.  Davis had five catches for 106 yards and a touchdown in the NFC title game victory over the Falcons.  But catching passes no longer is his biggest motivation.

“I didn’t go into that game thinking I was gonna have a big day,” Davis said.  “A big day for me is blocking.  Throughout the season, I had a chance to relate to that — the blocking game and pass protection.  It took time, but over the course of the season it kind of grew on me.  I was like, ‘We’re winning, and I am a big piece of this.’”

He’s definitely a big piece of it.  And if the 49ers beat the Ravens, he’ll be a big reason for the team’s first championship in a generation.

Even if all Davis does is block.

Permalink 14 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, San Francisco 49ers
14 Responses to “Vernon Davis knows he would have handled lack of involvement differently in the past”
  1. kingbeason52 says: Jan 25, 2013 2:42 PM

Vernon Davis is a joke.

2. fuglyflorio says: Jan 25, 2013 2:54 PM

So … no more crying?

3. chicagobtech says: Jan 25, 2013 2:58 PM

It’s called maturity. I’m glad to see Davis figured it out, it’ll make him a better man.

4. 0ffsides says: Jan 25, 2013 3:01 PM

Davis has matured into one of the best tight ends in the game and realizes this isn’t all about him…it’s about the team. Maybe Titus Young could learn a thing or two about this when he’s playing for the Argo’s or Allouette’s next year.

5. anarchopurplism says: Jan 25, 2013 3:01 PM

Way to man up & change

Nice to see an athlete humbly admit growth.

VD is a great TE talent

6. joecool16280 says: Jan 25, 2013 3:06 PM

kingbeason sounds like a disgruntled Fantasy player who only values players worth by looking at stat sheets.

Or just an ignorant NFL fan.

Either way it’s a sad reflection.

7. mvoeg731 says: Jan 25, 2013 3:07 PM

Send this article to Jermichael Finley, he could stand to grow up too.

8. questforthesixthnotthelast2013 says: Jan 25, 2013 3:07 PM

Crying is fine, its whining that he didnt need to be doing, im a V.D. fan, he is HOF special stuff, i made a comment on titus young needing to go talk to Mr. Singletary, he does do wonders, especially in front of a crowd!

9. cosanostra71 says: Jan 25, 2013 3:25 PM

Blocking was a big piece missing from his game early. He still isn’t the best, but he’s dramatically improved and is an important piece of the run game because of it. He is one of my favorite Niners and he’s really grown in his NFL career!

10. doe22us says: Jan 25, 2013 3:48 PM

We all know he can flat out fly and catch the ball, that obviously is established. Glad he is working on other aspects of the game in its entirety.

11. elliottcovert says: Jan 25, 2013 4:07 PM

I have a tremendous amount of respect for VD. He’s gone from a brash young brat to the definition of a humble, professional teammate. His positive attitude is an example to us all.

12. pongonfl says: Jan 25, 2013 4:18 PM

Credit to him, credit to Kap for finding him when they took Crabtree away as a target.

13. phelbin says: Jan 25, 2013 4:21 PM

The Mike Singletary years didn’t meet expectations. Those were some lean years. But VD is hands down Singletary’s greatest success story as HC of the 49ers.

14. starvingardens says: Jan 25, 2013 10:46 PM

I guess thats the kind of VD you would want to have. LOL.

I had to say it. Haha.