Vince Young admits to “probably” signing loan documents

Vince Young AP

Free-agent quarterback Vince Young allegedly took out a $1.9 million loan during the lockout.  His lawyer at one point raised the specter of forgery, suggesting that someone other than Vince Young signed the documents.

Young has now given sworn testimony regarding the dispute, and he admits that he may have signed the papers, signed the papers.

“All I know is I probably could have signed some of them, and I feel like some of them are fishy,” Young said in a deposition transcript obtained by the Associated Press.

Young claims that he signed documents without reading them, at the request of a financial adviser Young separately is suing.

“I went to sign some papers that my financial adviser asked me to go over and sign, but I don’t remember what it was,” Young said.  “I’d just go and sign and get out of there.”

Pro Player Funding already has secured a judgment against Young for the unpaid money.  Young was asked to explain if he realizes what that means.

“I’m not a lawyer, so I don’t know nothing about this,” Young said.  “Only information I know is what my lawyer explains to me and lets me know what goes on.  I’m just trying to figure it out myself.”

Young didn’t play in the NFL last season, although he received a $350,000 signing bonus from the Bills, who cut him during training camp.

Young’s lawyer repeatedly instructed the third overall pick in the 2006 draft not to answer questions about his current financial condition.  “He’s kept up with his bills,” Trey Dolezal said during the deposition.  “And that’s about as far as that’s going to go.”

Young’s NFL career apparently has gone about as far as it’s going to go, too.

Permalink 64 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Buffalo Bills, Home, Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill, Tennessee Titans
64 Responses to “Vince Young admits to “probably” signing loan documents”
  1. FinFan68 says: Jan 25, 2013 7:16 PM

Well deserved 6 on the wonderlic. His stupidity is painful to see

2. 13arod says: Jan 25, 2013 7:21 PM

read everying before signing anything his fault

3. rickastleydancemoves says: Jan 25, 2013 7:21 PM

Do people still believe the Wonderlic is overrated? Because all I have to say is: 6.

4. vontazemebro says: Jan 25, 2013 7:24 PM

“I’m not a lawyer, so I don’t know nothing about this,” Young said. “Only information I know is what my lawyer explains to me and lets me know what goes on. I’m just trying to figure it out myself”

My great uncle Sal quoted something similar right before the fishing trip he never same back from.

5. thegreatgabbert says: Jan 25, 2013 7:24 PM

“Probably” you gonna have to pay them off then Vince.

6. brownsalwaysrebuilding says: Jan 25, 2013 7:35 PM

He was incredible in that Texas vs USC National Championship game. Did pretty decent early on in the NFL too.

He’s a talented guy. His attitude really hurt him at times and it’s probably the reason he hasn’t found a new job.

7. CKL says: Jan 25, 2013 7:44 PM

Sometimes a story can be written absolutely straight like this one and still be utterly hilarious. Young is stuck on stupid and dipped in dumb. I’m starting to wonder if he can tie his own shoes.

8. bennyb82 says: Jan 25, 2013 7:45 PM

He probably just figured it could be torn up like his NFL contract….oops

9. devildog911 says: Jan 25, 2013 7:49 PM

Guess what Vince? You signed the dotted line saying that you will never play in the NFL again.

10. wwwmattcom says: Jan 25, 2013 7:57 PM

I cant stand thinking how you cant trust anyone.

11. johnnyballsack says: Jan 25, 2013 8:09 PM

I still can’t believe he got a 6 on the Wonderlic. He must have cheated to get a couple questions correct.

12. thejuddstir says: Jan 25, 2013 8:15 PM

Is it any wonder this imbecile couldn’t pick up the nuances of the QB position in the NFL. I think Texas should be investigated for giving him a freakin’ college degree, no way he ever earned one on his own.

13. purplesane says: Jan 25, 2013 8:31 PM

Not the brightest bulb on the old Christmas tree. Kind of reminds me of the Manti Te’o story. Use a little common sense before trusting everyone and anyone.

14. tdubdizzle says: Jan 25, 2013 8:35 PM

I like Vince Young. I hope he makes a comeback to the NFL.

15. jprcox says: Jan 25, 2013 8:40 PM

What you have to love about the situation is that I am sure Young spent the entire $1.9m he borrowed – otherwise he would be saying, “I didn’t sign the loan documents, nor did I get the money”.

Therefore, the only reasonable conclusion is that he thought someone just gave him $1.9m for the heck of it.

16. rcali says: Jan 25, 2013 8:46 PM

Maybe he can sell that gigantic “VY” necklace.

17. couldntthinkofaname says: Jan 25, 2013 8:53 PM

This guy’s as sharp as a pillow.

18. alonestartexan says: Jan 25, 2013 8:56 PM

I met VY at a gas station in Brentwood, TN once, he wasn’t the nicest guy I’d ever met, to put it nicely. This couldn’t have happened to a nicer guy.

He’ll never pay a dime though. He’ll just file bankruptcy and keep whatever cash he has left out of the bank.

19. brettfavresmidget says: Jan 25, 2013 8:58 PM

Wait until he finds out he made a large donation to the Lennay Kekua Cancer Research Foundation.

20. dlmcc1010 says: Jan 25, 2013 9:18 PM

It amazes me that after hearing about so many athletes over the years making this mistake and losing everything, that some of them still allow this to happen. The NFL more than any other league tries to educate and warn guys coming into this league of stuff like this.

For him to trust a “financial adviser” and sign documents is absurd. With money like that being negotiated you make sure you have an attorney reading over any documents you sign.

21. dumbpollack says: Jan 25, 2013 9:28 PM

He

He will have to go back to “the club” where the men don’t wear shirts to pay off that loan!

22. bartlettruss says: Jan 25, 2013 9:43 PM

He doesn’t even keep copies of loans worth this much?? Even if you don’t remember what you signed there should be some place where you have a copy for anything this major… If you don’t, and they didn’t burn up in a fire, then someone was going to eventually take your money anyway.

23. 69finfan says: Jan 25, 2013 9:49 PM

I prolly could have been a star Stated Vince if I would have just tried harder.

24. sallust99 says: Jan 25, 2013 9:51 PM

I bet he wishes he had some of that Friday’s money back now

25. hawkforlife says: Jan 25, 2013 9:51 PM

“I’d just go and sign and get out of there.”

So you have what responsibility? Grow the hell up!

26. abninf says: Jan 25, 2013 10:14 PM

“I’m not a lawyer, so I don’t know nothing about this,”
    ====================================

So you do know something about it?

27. bigdingyguy says: Jan 25, 2013 10:32 PM

He is up the paddle without a creek. The lifestyle of an NFL Quarterback was above his head. I almost feel sorry for him; but not really

28. goodellsadouche says: Jan 25, 2013 10:36 PM

Bud Adams threw a fit to draft that bum

29. powayslugger says: Jan 25, 2013 11:00 PM

i guess you do sheit like this when your wonderlik score is a 7.

30. raoool says: Jan 25, 2013 11:07 PM

that’s my boat

31. skoobyfl says: Jan 25, 2013 11:29 PM

Bag of wet mice is sharper.

32. mackie66 says: Jan 25, 2013 11:41 PM

this seems so typical of the new NFL player.

33. firestarter0728 says: Jan 26, 2013 12:11 AM

I’m just can’t decide if VY is:

A. Dumb as a post
    B. Dumb as a stump
    C. The poster child for ending athletic scholarships
    D. All of the above

34. dallascowboysdishingthereal says: Jan 26, 2013 12:13 AM

Young represents a child like approach to life that too many pro athletes exhibit. A lack of responsibility for choices.

35. badintent says: Jan 26, 2013 1:04 AM

@thejuddstir

U got that right. All his college tutors were working OT.And we talking gym teacher degree. And that guy that looked like Vince that went to his classes, it was his cuz.Sure is grand to play football in Texas ain’t it ? Just ask Jerry Jones

36. woodstakes2 says: Jan 26, 2013 1:06 AM

So VY scores a 6 on Wonderlic:

“Wonderlic, Inc. claims a score of at least 10 points suggests a person is literate.”~Wikipedia~

*Not entirely sure that’s accurate*

37. fmwarner says: Jan 26, 2013 1:22 AM

It’s amazing how far he’s gotten in life. Dude threw more interceptions than touchdowns as a rookie and won ROY. He’s lived a charmed life and STILL screwed it up royally.

38. pthepro49 says: Jan 26, 2013 1:34 AM

VY needed that $$$ to pay the person who took all those classes for him at Texas

39. larryboodry says: Jan 26, 2013 2:03 AM

vontazemebro says: Jan 25, 2013 7:24 PM

“I’m not a lawyer, so I don’t know nothing about this,” Young said.
    —————————————–
    Gee, Vince, I’m not a lawyer wither, but even I know you never sign anything without reading it first.

40. larryboodry says: Jan 26, 2013 2:07 AM

Then again, maybe his ‘financial advisor’ told him he was just signing a few autographs.

41. namriverrat69 says: Jan 26, 2013 3:19 AM

couldntthinkofaname says:
    Jan 25, 2013 8:53 PM
    This guy’s as sharp as a pillow

I think what you meant to say was something like” He is as sharp as a marble. A pillow has corners and if he never cleans or he cleans it as often as he washes out his hair and braids, those corners could become a serious health hazzard.

My sister had braids and if she didn’t clean them each week her hair would be dirty, smelly and stiff with no substance to it. I enjoyed watching parts of her growing up and she was very special. For those who have thoughts that are lewd, out mother died right at the end of my first tour in Vietnam and my sister was 12 and my brothers were 10 and 14. The stepdad bailed after less than a year. I was back to Vietnam to finish my time. Did 2 1/2 years there and over 3 years in Southeast Asia.

Regardless, if VY had problems when he came into the league I am sure Jeff Fisher did everything he could to get VY the help he needed. He was just too thin skinned and sulked when things don’t go his way.

Welcome to the real world Vince. Maybe your dad should have offered the Titans the same deal, $212,000 (reported) as he did to Old Miss or Southern Miss.

I am not in the habit of kicking a guy when he is down. Vince Young isn’t down however, he is out cold. He was given many chances, a la Steve Howe. It just didn’t take with Vince though. Hopefully you took advantage of your education at Texas so you can qualify for or a white collar job. You are Texas hero. Boosters should take care of you like most top athletes. Either way you are a lesson plan to young athletes who have unbelievable talent in hopes making it on the big stage. They are not prima donnas, they are just guys trying to make and be a part of the team and be willing to learn whatever they can to succeed. They should not walk off the field put a towel over their head and sulk on the bench and expect the teammates and fans not to notice the selfishness.

42. travel4football says: Jan 26, 2013 4:14 AM

**cough** he was admitted once to a major UNIVERSITY as a COLLEGE STUDENT athlete **cough**

43. ripster65 says: Jan 26, 2013 4:51 AM

Whew! Finally I can sleep at night knowing VY’s current situation! So, anyone know anything about the next NFL game?

44. stebutt says: Jan 26, 2013 6:09 AM

Dumb as a bag of wet mice.

45. joetoronto says: Jan 26, 2013 6:39 AM

“I went to sign some papers that my financial adviser asked me to go over and sign, but I don’t remember what it was,” Young said. “I’d just go and sign and get out of there.”

It’s official, Vince young is the dumbest player in the NFL, maybe in the world.

SMH.

46. gmsalpha says: Jan 26, 2013 7:28 AM

CKL says:
    Jan 25, 2013 7:44 PM

********

Did you see that commercial for the new Vince Young ‘Roos velcro trainers?

47. stigman2012 says: Jan 26, 2013 7:41 AM

I have no doubt he has excellent legal representation…with a name like ‘Trey’, you gots to be a good lawyer!

48. logast says: Jan 26, 2013 7:50 AM

Just as ignorant as the millions of people that were given home loans when they should not have. Here, just sign this page. Don’t read what you are signing, Vince.

Maybe you should have actually gotten a degree at Texas.

I have no sympathy.

49. lowtalker says: Jan 26, 2013 7:52 AM

couldntthinkofaname says:
    This guy’s as sharp as a pillow

Really??? Do you actually believe that?

You are doing a disservice to pillows everywhere.

50. punkyqb says: Jan 26, 2013 7:53 AM

As they say, would you like fries with that burger.

51. justwannawinna says: Jan 26, 2013 7:58 AM

If i were him id try to make a comeback so he could run that read option which he did very well at Texas. He could atleast be a backup and get his pay to keep those bills paid.

52. nflr92 says: Jan 26, 2013 8:20 AM

Those around him realized quickly how gullible and dimwitted he was and exploited it for their own gain.

Unfortunately for him, there’s no legal remedy for being dumb.

53. wikipediasaidso says: Jan 26, 2013 8:21 AM

Huh. That’s exactly the way he seemed to handle the starting QB job for the Titans. Go to the office, look over the playbook the OC handed him without really caring what was in it, and then get out of there as soon as possible.

54. jimmysee says: Jan 26, 2013 8:23 AM

These guys are targets.

“Pro Player Funding” = Tony Soprano.

Will they ever figure that out?!

55. petehemlock says: Jan 26, 2013 8:33 AM

Who’s dumber: VY or the bank?

56. sammyias says: Jan 26, 2013 8:45 AM

It is amazing what this man has thrown away, including his career.

The man that brought down a coach, and redirected a franchise.

57. shiftyshellshocked says: Jan 26, 2013 8:55 AM

I just can’t remember signing a two million dollar loan!

58. cannonballdookie says: Jan 26, 2013 8:58 AM

Do you get 6 points for writing your name on the wonderlic test? I feel like that’s the only question he got right, though he probably had to pull out his ID to double check it.

59. sfm073 says: Jan 26, 2013 9:11 AM

I couldn’t imagine having all that money and then not having anything. Not sure j could live with myself.

60. gitlin1 says: Jan 26, 2013 9:16 AM

I took the money, spent it, and didn’t ask no questions. Sounds fishy if I actually have to pay the loan back!

61. dodirty12 says: Jan 26, 2013 9:28 AM

Ignorance is no excuse.

62. mackcarrington says: Jan 26, 2013 6:27 PM

Who ever said that Vince achieved a degree at Texas? And how did he not be included in that “30 for 30″ film on stupid bankrupt athletes?

63. peteinsudbury says: Jan 28, 2013 3:51 PM

Just think. For a very short time this year, the Bills had both the highest and lowest wonderlic scorers ever at the same time.

64. vyfan4ever says: Jul 26, 2013 5:21 PM

I only have this to say…you people are sad. You were all over Vince when he was winning. You don’t know all the facts, you’re not walking in his shoes. Some of you are talking about trust…do you have any idea who is financial adviser was?? Oops..you were just listening to the media. Get your facts straight before talking trash. I’m sure if he makes a comeback, every single one of you trash talkers will be right back on that train. I believe he still has a chance…I’ve seen stranger things in the NFL.