Harbaugh says Castillo had other options

Castillo Getty Images

Juan Castillo, the long-time offensive line coach in Philadelphia who lasted less than two years as the defensive coordinator, secured an unexpected shot at a Super Bowl ring by joining former Philly colleague John Harbaugh in Baltimore.

Castillo, a consultant for now, will coordinate the team’s running game next season.

“He’ll be kind of a lead coach in terms of the run game and organizing the run game for us,” John Harbaugh said Saturday, via the team’s official website. “Of course, he’ll work closely with [offensive coordinator] Jim [Caldwell] and all the coaches.”

Harbaugh is happy to have Castillo.  “I had a chance to work with him for 10 years in Philadelphia, so I know this man very well, know his family.  He is a very good person,” Harbaugh said.

And Castillo’s a good enough coach to have had other options for future employment.

“He had lots of opportunities, I can tell you that, on both sides of the ball to be a lot of different things because that’s the kind of coach he is,” Harbaugh said. “It ranges from assistant head coach, an offensive coordinator and defensive coordinator and those things are all things that to a coach of his caliber, those were opportunities that he had, and he chose to come here.”

Harbaugh, who didn’t specify the other options Castillo had, said the goal in hiring Castillo is to keep trying to get better, something the Ravens consistently have been doing during Harbaugh’s five years as head coach.

Permalink 15 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Baltimore Ravens, Home, Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill
15 Responses to “Harbaugh says Castillo had other options”
  1. questforthesixthnotthelast2013 says: Jan 26, 2013 4:57 PM

Newsflash:
    this just in, 49ers hire MLB’s Giants general manager, he will be an advisor to the team as he helps coordinate the super bowl parade! Rumor has it he will be driving QB alex smiths vehicle!

2. patssteelersorgiants says: Jan 26, 2013 5:29 PM

Glad Juanita discovered his backbone and didn’t chase Andy to KC after the way he was treated in PHI.

3. eatitfanboy says: Jan 26, 2013 5:39 PM

Not sure if you were being serious, but I would hardly consider Castillo qualified to get a ring for a little over a week’s work.

I would hope if they would offer him one, he would say “no thanks, I rather earn one next year”.

4. swagger52 says: Jan 26, 2013 5:45 PM

That guy looks like a football coach.

5. swagger52 says: Jan 26, 2013 5:46 PM

Maybe the Ravens will hire me so I can get a Superbowl ring???? You know..kind of like how they do it in Illinois…pay to play

6. bobzilla1001 says: Jan 26, 2013 5:46 PM

Is it possible for NFL teams to have too many assistant coaches and coordinators? Keep it simple, Stupid!!!

7. thesmedman says: Jan 26, 2013 6:33 PM

He lost for the HC job at UTEP, so he had to pursue NFL opps.

8. MichaelEdits says: Jan 26, 2013 6:36 PM

I’m happy to hear that Harbaugh gave him Juan more chance.

9. schmedley69 says: Jan 26, 2013 7:31 PM

Moving Juan Castillo to Defensive Coordinator after 10 years as O-Line coach was the straw that broke the camel’s back and ultimately led to Andy Reid’s firing. That move set the Eagles back years, and I still can’t believe that Reid made the move and actually thought that it would be successful, and I still can’t believe that Jeffrey Lurie allowed him to to do it. I am so glad that Reid will be performing his Mad Scientist experiments somewhere besides Philly for now on.

10. sourdoughsam says: Jan 26, 2013 8:20 PM

Both those guys are class acts.

11. duncanthecat says: Jan 26, 2013 9:20 PM

Poor Guy. He just wants to become invisible again, and leave the heavy lifting for the big boys.

12. upperdecker19 says: Jan 26, 2013 9:23 PM

Other opportunities? I hear Andy Reid wanted to hire him to run the defense, be GM, and color analyst on the hometown broadcast simultaneously.

13. CKL says: Jan 26, 2013 11:41 PM

Sooooo…no one complaining about this like they did about the Pats adding McDaniels during the playoffs last year? Interesting.

14. Simon says: Jan 27, 2013 11:04 AM

Juan is a class act and lives what he preaches – hard work and perseverance leads to success. He pestered Ray Rhoades and Gruden until they hired him. He drove to Green Bay and slept in his car to ask Andy for a job. He worked with his offensive lineman before and after practices. And I’m sure he’ll give everything he’s got to make the running game better in Baltimore. I hope he does get a ring.

15. bleedgreen11 says: Jan 27, 2013 12:29 PM

I met him before he became DC in Philly and he is a rock solid guy. Not too busy to talk to some fans at training camp. He was talking with us, while shouting at his players about 200 feet away to get the play right and make him look good. (sarcastically, PFT commenters can’t read sarcasm I think)

Super nice guy, players loved him. Great coach, he did a decent job with that defense and I could always see why Andy hired him for that role. He has a little bit of JJ in him.