Very different Super Bowl trip for Mario Manningham this year

Mario Manningham AP

Mario Manningham made the biggest catch of last year’s Super Bowl, reeling in an Eli Manning pass down the sideline late in the fourth quarter to set up the game-winning touchdown for the Giants.

The Giants didn’t make it back to the Super Bowl this year, but Manningham did. Sort of. Manningham’s out with a torn ACL, forcing him to watch from the sideline this time around. As you might imagine, it’s not where he wants to be next Sunday.

“Oh man, it is tough to watch,” Manningham said, via Ralph Vacchiano of the New York Daily News. “I know it was a special moment what we did with the Giants last year, but I wish I was out there with my team right now. These guys, they’re a special group of guys right here. I know they’re going to go get the job done.”

Manningham had 42 catches for 449 yards and a touchdown in 12 games this season, a bit less production than the 49ers were likely hoping to get from the free agent addition. That’s also true of now-departed running back Brandon Jacobs, who also joined the team after winning it all with the Giants last season and never played a role on the offense.

Despite the disappointing end to this season, Manningham will have a chance to come back and help the 49ers try again next year. Jacobs will have to find another team willing to give him that chance.

Permalink 14 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, San Francisco 49ers
14 Responses to “Very different Super Bowl trip for Mario Manningham this year”
  1. blacknole08 says: Jan 26, 2013 5:48 PM

Funny how BOTH Kyle Williams and Manningham, who played a HUGE part in last year’s post-season (as far as memorable plays and the effect it had on their teams) played no part in this year’s post-season and are both sitting this one out with injuries.

Would have been nice to see Williams especially play next Sunday.

2. ninerswilldominatelikebefore says: Jan 26, 2013 5:50 PM

this guys is an xfactor next year if randy doesnt come back. I believe he will have a HUGE season next year with kap in the mix also a strong #2 behind crabtree..good hands good speed.

3. questforthesixthnotthelast2013 says: Jan 26, 2013 5:54 PM

I cant believe im thanking a former giant, but Thanks!
    glad your on our side this time!
    Red and gold baby!!!

4. bigblue5611 says: Jan 26, 2013 5:56 PM

Giants missed Manningham badly this year. Nicks, Cruz and MM were awesome and unstoppable last post-season.

5. jikkle49 says: Jan 26, 2013 6:35 PM

Shame because I thought he and CK were just starting to gel right when he got injured.

With the way CK is playing now I think he would’ve had a huge postseason with defenses paying a lot of attention to Crabtree, Davis, and CK’s running ability.

6. nnagi says: Jan 26, 2013 6:48 PM

if the 49ers win, does douche baggins Jacobs get a ring?

7. cosanostra71 says: Jan 26, 2013 6:53 PM

Manningham’s numbers may not have been huge, but he was still an important part of the offense, and as someone else mentioned earlier, he was beginning to find a nice chemistry with Kaepernick around the time of the injury. I hope he gets well and he will be a big part of the offense next year I’m sure.

8. 49erstim says: Jan 26, 2013 7:46 PM

MM had an ever-increasing role on this offense and next season he will have an even bigger role and impact.

9. justintuckrule says: Jan 26, 2013 7:58 PM

MMs catch in the sb last year was awesome. However, of equal importance and more directly relevant to sf is the monstrous td he had on 3rd and 15 in the nfccg between two defenders int the 4th q to give the giants the lead. Sucks for sf that he’s out. Dude is a big game performer. We sure missed him this year.

10. EJ says: Jan 26, 2013 8:26 PM

Either the 49ers will totally destroy the Ravens in a landslide or the 9ers will completely stumble coming out of the gate and become the destroyed. This will not be a close game. I believe 95% of the game will rely on what Jim or John Harbaugh draw up. The 9er Defense is a touch better than the Raven D, but not by much. The Raven Offense has a very slight advantage over the 49er O, very slight. If the 49ers stay with the same game plan they have throughout the Playoffs, they will lose. Especially if Joe Flacco has a mistake free game. Mark my words though, If Flacco throws even one interception or loses one fumble, the Ravens lose. If the 49ers come out blazing, but can’t keep the momentum out of Ray Lewis’ hands, 9ers lose. Its going to be a slaughter house, just not sure if the one who will be turned out will be a Bird or a Gold Digger? We’ll see soon enough.

11. ripster65 says: Jan 26, 2013 10:58 PM

ninerswilldominatelikebefore says:Jan 26, 2013 5:50 PM

——————————————-
    Agreed. That being said and considering Randy’s age and minimal on-field role, I wouldn’t be surprised if the Niners re-signed him on the cheap again just for his experience and the way he’s coached up the youngsters in the lockeroom and on the sidelines. Apparently Moss was quite humbled with the Tenn fiasco and lack of interest in him last year. Seemed to be a model team mate this year. Besides, what’s he going to do? Hold out or expect someone else to give him more money? Then again who knows? I wouldn’t be surprised to see Harbaugh pull another proverbial rabbit out of the hat and make Moss the wide receivers coach. Ok, ok…it’s a stretch but it IS Harbaugh.

12. smithopher says: Jan 27, 2013 2:07 AM

I don’t see it the same way, I really think this is going to be a great Super Bowl, hard fought and very close. Both teams have studly defenses and solid offenses to match. Both teams feature playmakers on both sides of the ball. I agree that the ravens have an edge on offense, flacco is on fire and anquan boldin is having a killer postseason as well. I don’t think anyone is getting blown out though, I think it’s going to be more of a defensive game.

13. rockyburnette says: Jan 27, 2013 8:03 AM

nnagi,
    Jacobs was exactly the player the 49ers chose to sign. He came with baggage, hard to believe such a sharp front office and staff were unaware.
    He was on the roster, so yeah he gets a ring if they win.

14. blakeden says: Jan 27, 2013 9:28 AM

I agree the so called experts (those guys on the NFL channel) who say it will be close are off on this one…..