Cardinals hire Amos Jones as special teams coach

Jones_Amos

Bruce Arians spent 2012 as the offensive coordinator and, for 12 games, interim head coach for the Colts, but he was with the Steelers for several years before heading to Indianapolis.

Arians has now moved on to become the head coach of the Cardinals and he reached back to his Pittsburgh connections to find a special teams coach. Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette and the Tuscaloosa News both report that Amos Jones is headed to Arizona to join Arians’ staff. The Cardinals are expected to formally announce Jones’ hiring this week.

Jones stepped into the special teams coach role for the Steelers last season after they fired Al Everest in late August. He was an assistant special teams coach for the team since joining the staff in 2007 and has a lengthy resume including several stops in college and a one-year stint in the CFL. One of those college stops was Alabama, Jones’ alma mater, where he was on the same staff with Arians.

The Steelers have also lost offensive line coach Sean Kugler from their 2012 staff. Kugler will be the new coach at UTEP.

Permalink 18 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Arizona Cardinals, Home, Pittsburgh Steelers, Rumor Mill
18 Responses to “Cardinals hire Amos Jones as special teams coach”
  1. ravenator says: Jan 27, 2013 12:56 PM

Wow even coaches are starting to see the steelers for what they are‚Ķpretenders. He must believe they’re a weak team with little upside heading into next season. Good move. Why not go with the up and coming Colts who actually made the playoffs this year.

2. Stiller43 says: Jan 27, 2013 1:08 PM

Good! Special teams was a sore spot all season.

3. dickson29 says: Jan 27, 2013 1:21 PM

at the ravenator, when you get six superbowls, give me a ring.

4. questforthesixthnotthelast2013 says: Jan 27, 2013 1:40 PM

But seriously folks, what kind of car are they giving away this year? And with all the Dui’s in the league, do they really want to be testing them at a party like atmosphere like this?

5. xprivateeye says: Jan 27, 2013 2:13 PM

Ah, Ravens fan, he’s going to Arizona, not Indy! Just goes to show how knowledgeable the Ravens fans really are. Or how well they can read.

6. steelerflash11 says: Jan 27, 2013 4:27 PM

Ravenator- shhh. I like how u talk now. Can’t wait to see what u post on Monday morn after ray ray the murderer, and the rest of the baltimorons lose. Flacco will choke again. He just waited till later in the season this time.

7. bobzilla1001 says: Jan 27, 2013 4:33 PM

As a longtime Steelers observer, I’m more than just a little curious why Jones would leave an alleged established coach like Mike Tomlin for Arians, who might — repeat — might last three years in Arizona.
    Interesting career move, to say the least.

8. sportsmeccabi says: Jan 27, 2013 6:17 PM

Amos Jones
    Osmosis Jones.

9. sudz28 says: Jan 28, 2013 5:27 AM

Good riddance I say. Special teams cost us at LEAST one game this season, maybe two, with bad coverage. I’m not sorry Arians left and I’m not sorry he’s taking Jones with him.

10. Deb says: Jan 28, 2013 1:31 PM

bobzilla …

You refer to yourself as a longtime Steelers observer, but I’m curious to know whether you’re a fan of the team or just a critic. While I agree with many of your observations, your comment here on special teams doesn’t stand up. Coaches make lateral moves for a variety of reasons. And no matter how stable the life of a head coach in Pittsburgh, it’s never been a comfortable place for special teams coaches. Cowher was especially rough on his ST coaches, going through four in his tenure, firing one and having two make lateral moves to escape him.

11. bobzilla1001 says: Jan 29, 2013 4:04 PM

Deb:
    I realize there is no place on this site for objectivity among sensitive and giddy NFL fans. But that’s not my problem.
    Cowher was especially rough on special team coaches because he once was a speical teams coach.
    As for Jones: He’s been with Tomlin since 2007. Thus, I find it curious that he would leave on his on accord to be with a coach who is doomed for failure.
    Sorry for being so critical.
    Hope I didn’t offend anyone here on PFT…

12. Deb says: Jan 30, 2013 2:25 PM

bobzilla …

Sounds to me like you’re the one with the sensitivity issue. I asked a simple question: You constantly characterize yourself as a Steelers observer. Are you a fan of the team, or not? If you actually absorbed my posts, you’d see I’m both a diehard fan and objective critic. In fact, I posted the other day that the best thing for Pittsburgh would be for the Ravens to win the Lombardi on Joe Flacco’s arm. Great cure for complacency in the team and the QB.

It’s one thing to be objective about your team’s faults. It’s another to simply dislike the current coach and QB, and to act as the resident curmudgeon.

13. bobzilla1001 says: Jan 30, 2013 4:05 PM

Deb:
    I am a “fan” of the organization. I am not a player worshiper, nor do I have time for most Steelers “fans,” most of whom are nothing more than fans of being fans.
    Roethlisberger is a good quarterback who has benefitted from playing on teams with great defenses. Tomlin is a good coach who has benefitted from coaching players groomed by Bill Cowher.
    I have posted many positive comments related to the Steelers. However, you, like so many others, choose to remember only the negatives. That’s typical of our society.
    I can assure you that any poster who refers to their favorite team as “we,” such as you do on a regular basis, is not objective.
    Nice try, though.

14. Deb says: Jan 30, 2013 4:51 PM

@bobzilla …

“We” merely means I identify as part of a collective. The organization includes owners, coaches, players, and fans. Without fans, the organization–owners, coaches, players, and so on–would not exist. I am one with the Steelers, the Crimson Tide, Americans, women, writers, and people who love Jack Bauer. When it comes to worship, however, I limit myself to God.

After six seasons, Mike Tomlin is coaching his own team. And the spoiling of Ben Roethlisberger took place on Bill Cowher’s watch, a criticism I’m able to make while still maintaining my affection for Cowher. Somehow I think you’re confusing objectivity with superiority in thinking that because you criticize the current coaching staff and players it makes you wiser than the rest of us. No … it just makes you hypercritical.

15. bobzilla1001 says: Jan 30, 2013 6:51 PM

Deb:
    Until the Steelers place you on their payroll, you are not a part of the “we.” You, me and everyone else are onlookers who find Steelers football to be interesting and/or entertaining.
    Secondly, Tomlin is still coaching many of Cowher’s players, especially from the defensive side of the ball.
    Thirdly, Cowher and Roethlisberger had, at best, a strained relationship. Just because you say or think otherwise, that doesn’t make it true. When Tomlin reaches 161 wins, get back to me.
    Lastly, objectively is in the eye of the beholder. The Steelers’ gaggle of No. 1-ranked defenses have been wasted by a pathetic offense that routinely ranks in the bottom third of the league. In fact, a better offense would’ve produced a playoff spot just this season.
    You are a typical, blinded, amnesic Steelers fan.
    Not to be critical.

16. Deb says: Jan 30, 2013 11:12 PM

bobzilla, if fans like me choose to be part of the we, what do you care? Yes, Cowher had a strained relationship with Roethlisberger. But the organization spoiled him rotten when Cowher was there. You aren’t the only Steelers fan who follows these little team dramas closely.

Yes, a better offense would have produced a playoff berth this season. Duh. I think we all know that … which is exactly your problem. You’re under the illusion that no one else grasps that the defense topped the league while the offense failed to perform to expectations. And no matter how many times the rest of us criticize Ben or the offense or some of Tomlin’s decisionmaking, it’s never enough for you unless we hate them with the same doggedness you display. Sorry … not happening.

I’m not blind, nor an amnesiac–I remember Cowher’s flaws as well as his successes. And I don’t live in a fantasy world where my team is dirt unless they win the Super Bowl every year.

17. bobzilla1001 says: Feb 2, 2013 6:00 PM

If you are suggesting that I think the Steelers should win the Super Bowl every season in order to maintain my personal happiness, you would be wrong … as usual.
    I enjoy the journey more than the destination. Thus, I’m good with eight Super Bowl appearances and six Super Bowl wins. What I don’t want to see, however, is a return to the 1980′s medicocrity, which I believe is quite possible under Tomlin.
    The 2011 Steelers compiled a 12-4 record with just three wins against winning teams: The Bengals (twice) and the Patriots.
    This past season, the Steelers compiled an 8-8 record with just two wins against teams (the Bengals and Ravens) that finished with winning records.
    Meanwhile, the 2012 Steelers lost to the likes of the Raiders, Titans, Chargers and Browns. The lowly Browns have actually beaten the Steelers twice in four seasons.
    Don’t know about you — not be hateful or critical — but I sense an alarming trend.
    Please forgive me.
    Your approval means everything to me.

18. Deb says: Feb 2, 2013 10:47 PM

@bobzilla …

Yes … I’ve sensed your concern for my opinion by the way you focus on my posts. I remember the 80s well and have no more desire to relive that period in our football history than you do. Yes, I am concerned about our losses to substandard teams. I’m also aware that we are just two years removed from our last Super Bowl. So, Chicken Little, I think it’s a bit soon to declare that the sky is falling. But if you must, bob, by all means … carry on. Clearly, we are not going to achieve a meeting of the minds. And I take comfort in that.