Dockett wanted out if Cardinals kept Whisenhunt

Arizona Cardinals' Campbell, Dockett and Eason sit on the bench while down by 25 points to the Chicago Bears, in the second half during their NFL football game in Phoenix Reuters

Cardinals defensive tackle Darnell Dockett is in a good mood now, digging his new coach and joking that Twitter-sensation beauty queens aren’t his type.

It wasn’t always this happy.

According to Dan Bickley of the Arizona Republic, Dockett was prepared to ask for a trade if Ken Whisenhunt had remained head coach.

Now with Bruce Arians in his place and defensive coordinator Ray Horton gone, Dockett thinks he’s going to have a chance to flourish again.

“[Arians] told me he is going to put me in my regular position that I had been playing over the years, [when] I was a dominant force in the middle,” Dockett said. “That got me fired up right away because I’ve been just looking for another opportunity to do what I do best, and that’s go out and dominate games. . . .

“I never wanted to be an Albert Haynesworth. I never wanted to be one of those guys who will get paid a lot of money and get into the media and [complain] about the position and things like that. I just sucked it up [under Horton]. I just did my best at a position that I was never really great at. But again, I just never wanted to be one of those guys, and I just wanted to put the team first. And I wasn’t going to let my selfish ways get involved with our team. I sacrificed.”

While that sounds magnanimous, the Cardinals defense was pretty good with Dockett in the role he was in. And while some of his recent remarks sound playful enough, others saw them as signs of immaturity.

After Brent Musberger went ga-ga over Alabama quarterback A.J. McCarron’s girlfriend during the BCS championship game, Dockett sent her messages on Twitter asking her if she wanted to go to a strip club together and eat chicken wings.

“If I really wanted to get this girl, there’s a bunch of different ways I’d have went about it,” Dockett said, insisting he was joking. “And I would have got her if I really wanted her. But I don’t think she’s my type.

“I’m not into the thinner girls, and the modeling thing like that. I like ’hood chicks. I like girls with a couple of stab wounds and bullet holes, been knocked up a few times. . . . I like girls who have bad credit when they’re 21.”

And he apparently likes Bruce Arians too, though it’s unclear which of those categories his new coach falls into.

Permalink 26 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Arizona Cardinals, Home, Rumor Mill
26 Responses to “Dockett wanted out if Cardinals kept Whisenhunt”
  1. fuglyflorio says: Jan 27, 2013 1:55 PM

The life of a millionaire athlete is just soooo difficult.

2. nagaswan says: Jan 27, 2013 1:57 PM

Anyone who doesn’t want to be like Fat Albert is on the right path

3. firestarter0728 says: Jan 27, 2013 2:01 PM

“I like ’hood chicks. I like girls with a couple of stab wounds and bullet holes, been knocked up a few times. . . . I like girls who have bad credit when they’re 21.”

Translation:

“I like welfare queens. I like girls who sell crack (and themselves) on the corner for enough money to feed the fatherless future criminals they’re raising.”

Time to raise your standards, Mr. Dockett.

4. jasons81 says: Jan 27, 2013 2:09 PM

Yet Fitz keeps his mouth shut even though he has more at stake than Dockett. More players should emulate Larry Fitzgerald.

5. migoli says: Jan 27, 2013 2:13 PM

Wow no room for jokes on this site sometimes

6. tombstone7 says: Jan 27, 2013 2:23 PM

I sincerely doubt he really believes what he saying about women…..because I heard those same joke lines on HBO from a well-established comedian!

7. 619sdfan4life says: Jan 27, 2013 2:26 PM

“I like girls who have been stabbed and shot, and have been knocked up a few times”. Really bro you mean that.
    C’mon man (Keyshawn Voice)

8. tannethrill says: Jan 27, 2013 2:31 PM

If you can’t find the humor in his tweet to the Alabama chick and then the humor I. his follow up to what he’s looking for then you don’t know what you’re missing. That was great.

9. bobzilla1001 says: Jan 27, 2013 2:34 PM

The Cardinals and their losing attitudes will love Bruce Arians, the most easily manipulated coach in the league. Big Bennie had “Uncle Brucie” wrapped right around his pinky finger for five, unproductive seasons.

10. ezwriter69 says: Jan 27, 2013 2:56 PM

Good news, Bruce, maybe he won’t SPIT on you like he did Kerry Rhodes… what a disgusting human being this legend-in-his-own-mind is.

11. swagger91 says: Jan 27, 2013 3:18 PM

Damn it was just a joke smh

12. seattlenative57 says: Jan 27, 2013 3:19 PM

Gotta cheer for a fella who perpetuates and promotes negative stereotypes, even if joking. Total jackass.

13. fordmandalay says: Jan 27, 2013 3:20 PM

And the Cardinals train wreck keeps rollin’ along.

14. hifive123 says: Jan 27, 2013 3:44 PM

The only coach who ever accomplished anything was run out of town. And you’re happy about that?

15. stew48 says: Jan 27, 2013 3:46 PM

While Musberger’s comment was a bit over the line for TV, it was, nonetheless, a compliment. This guy, and too many of the commenters, has a bunch to learn, if possible, which I doubt of all of them.

16. justwinsomeday says: Jan 27, 2013 3:49 PM

I’m not sure if he’s hilarious or an idot…..probably like the rest of us, just a little of both.

17. johnnyjagfan says: Jan 27, 2013 4:15 PM

man this guy doesn’t give a sh!t about what we think. didn’t figure him for the keep-my-mouth-shut good teammate, though and think its cool that he keeps his outlandish, wacky stuff to subjects other than the team and if he’s happy or not. Knocked up a couple of times, though? C’mon, man!

18. paulnoga says: Jan 27, 2013 4:20 PM

An idot is what helps you join the club.
    Poll: what team is stupider, the Lions or the Cardinals? Did Dockett join the Titus Young club or the other way around?
    It does not matter. With the Rams (improving) the Seahawks, and the 49ers in the division, the Cardinals should get the #1 pick in 2014.

19. clssylssy says: Jan 27, 2013 4:26 PM

Will see what tune Dockett is singing when he can’t cut the change in defensive scheme from a 3-4 to a 4-3 and finds himself out of a job. It’s too bad that a once good player and team leader has fallen victim to believing his own press and acting the fool. Dockett is getting long in the tooth to be learning new tricks and keeping up with the young blood coming into the league. You don’t know how good you had it DD, and I suspect that the $200K fine was for more than just not wanting to quit on a game that was already lost.

20. shorttracknews says: Jan 27, 2013 4:53 PM

Anytime a girl doesn’t acknowledge you or laughs off your cheap chicken wing/strip club advances you have to announce a few weeks later she wasn’t your type. It’s in a handbook…somewhere.

21. jimnaizeeum says: Jan 27, 2013 5:34 PM

“And I would have got her if I really wanted her. But I don’t think she’s my type”

Yeah, no kids, stab wounds or bullet holes…Love your taste in women

22. august1969 says: Jan 27, 2013 5:58 PM

I believe him…because I love Wal Mart skanks.

23. mazblast says: Jan 27, 2013 7:26 PM

bobzilla1001 says:

——————————–
    I may be wrong, but didn’t the Steelers win the most recent of their titles with Arians as OC? If winning the Super Bowl is unproductive, I know a lot of teams that would like to be “unproductive”.

24. pthepro49 says: Jan 27, 2013 8:36 PM

With guys on your team like Darnell Dockett you dont have to look far as to why AZ sucks so bad. I feel terrible for Bruce coming from a great locker room to a locker room that has Dockett in there. Hopefully he can find a way to trade or even cut him. Also I love the coment“And I would have got her if I really wanted her” REALLY? You think your so special you can steal any mans girl? Forget about your bi-polar personality, and the fact you probably should not be playing in the NFL anymore, have you looked in the mirror lately? Your disgusting!! Which leads me to believe you are actually telling the truth for once when you describe the kind of girls your into ” I like girls with a couple of stab wounds and bullet holes, been knocked up a few times” You like those types of girls because those are the ONLY kind of girls who like you!!!! Sucker!!!

25. darksidecowboy says: Jan 28, 2013 3:07 PM

some uptight people today, ever heard of a sense of humor? DD loves the attention yes, but he works his ass off. He starts offseason training in two weeks, loves to get laughs even if he’s the only one laughing. He’s enjoying his life, so get a grip. For the rest of us that don’t mind different personalities in sports we’ll enjoy his antics.

26. beardinals says: Jan 28, 2013 6:23 PM

Lots of people here with no sense of humor or irony. Must be Pats fans.