LeSean McCoy apologizes for Twitter tirade

Philadelphia Eagles v New Orleans Saints Getty Images

Eagles running back LeSean McCoy has made headlines for his Twitter use before, but there’s a big difference between trash talking with Giants defensive end Osi Umenyiora and what happened between him and the mother of his son over the weekend.

McCoy lobbed volleys toward the woman, whose Twitter page identifies her only as Steph, in what seemed to be an argument about requests for money. USA Today has some of the tweets from McCoy’s account, which has been deleted, as well as the woman’s replies. Those replies included accusations that McCoy performed a particular sexual act to her to get out of paying child support and that McCoy’s current girlfriend had slept with one of his best friends.

McCoy originally deactivated the account by saying that his account was hacked. It’s a familiar explanation for unsavory content, but McCoy took the unusual step of admitting he made up the hacking story as part of a larger apology for the whole situation.

“In light of the recent events that played out over Twitter this past weekend, I would like to express how deeply sorry and remorseful I am to my family, the Philadelphia Eagles, my fans, and every young person who views me as a role model. This is not who I am as a person, nor the image I ever wanted to portray of myself. It’s definitely not the example I want to set for my son,” McCoy said in a statement, via CSNPhilly.com. “My Twitter account was not hacked. I take full responsibility and I apologize for trying to make it seem like it was not me. Due to my bad judgment and frustration, I allowed a very personal matter to be played out on a social network, of all things. It was immature and unprofessional for me to do so and to encourage others to join in.”

Anyone who follows athletes on Twitter can tell the ones who are doing it for themselves and those who are doing it with help as part of developing their “brand.” The latter approach is boring and inauthentic, but it’s a lot less likely to get you in trouble for flying off the handle in full view of the public.

Permalink 31 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill
31 Responses to “LeSean McCoy apologizes for Twitter tirade”
  1. beanz33 says: Jan 28, 2013 7:33 PM

If you ever read his twitter comments you know that the only thing “inauthentic” is this statement. Mccoy can barely string a sentence together.

This is from and eagles fan too. I have his autograph. For some reason.

2. BigBeachBall says: Jan 28, 2013 7:35 PM

My son his mccoys poster on his wall.

3. doe22us says: Jan 28, 2013 7:43 PM

When the lack of adequate education, ignorance and twitter intersect it makes for a deadly combination. On another note who views these guys as role models???

4. greggyd717 says: Jan 28, 2013 7:46 PM

As a fan of the Eagles and McCoy, this was disappointing to see as it played out the other night. Why any adult feels the need to go on Twitter and argue with another person, let alone the mother of their child, about something boggles my mind. Everyone in this country is voicing concern over bullying and cyberbullying in schools, but then we have adults going onto social networks and other websites that are visible to the world and hurling hateful comments and opinions. Heck, it happens on this website all the time. People get Twitter muscles behind the safety of their computer screen and keyboard. I’m glad that McCoy came out and apologized for what he did, but I would hope that the NFL (and all pro sports leagues/organizations) is actually trying to educate their players about this kind of thing and how to conduct themselves. It is embarrassing for grown men to act this way.

5. hatesycophants says: Jan 28, 2013 7:51 PM

Speaking of things that are poorly written and a waste of freaking time…

6. mimitaroo says: Jan 28, 2013 7:52 PM

Hacked? hahaha. Considering one of the tweets said “Now I am going back to enjoying my holiday in Peurto Rico” it was pretty obvious it wasn’t a hacker, considering Mccoy is currently holidaying in Peurto Rico. Fail all around.

7. granadafan says: Jan 28, 2013 7:53 PM

Well, that was a very nice dry and drab statement written by his lawyer. Funny how these athletes who can barely string two sentences together can suddenly write perfect and grammatically correct English with multi syllabic words during “apologies”.

8. rugdaniels says: Jan 28, 2013 7:54 PM

Don’t worry LeSean, your young fans are from Philadelphia, they’re probably not going to turn out to well no matter what you say on Twitter.

9. tdshouldbeinthehall says: Jan 28, 2013 7:56 PM

Nobody with half a life goes on twitter. It is a useless as Saints fans.

10. dolphone says: Jan 28, 2013 8:03 PM

Props to the guy for manning up and accepting blame.

Shame he got into this in the first place.

11. hockeyflow33 says: Jan 28, 2013 8:21 PM

I’m fairly certain sex acts are performed on or in someone, not to them

12. fdugrad says: Jan 28, 2013 8:22 PM

Why is it people who say, ” This is not who I am,” when they do things that clearly demonstrate EXACTLY “who they are,” do not understand that their actions speak volumes about their “real” self, and their talk is, like their character, cheap?

13. razorbyrd says: Jan 28, 2013 8:25 PM

by a show of hands, how many guys have NEVER gotten into a heated argument with a girl in public, i.e. a party, a club, on the phone with people around? that’s what I thought… everyone has a button that can be pushed to make them temporarily “lose it”, and everyone has someone who knows how to push that button… he didn’t assault her, he didn’t try to choke her, and he didn’t rape her… he acted like a jerk, turns out, guys do that from time to time…

it amazes me how easily people can become all high and mighty in situations like this…

14. Mr. Wright 212 says: Jan 28, 2013 8:36 PM

ha I was reading that whole thing live while we were discussing the sports from the day. I have friends who actually know him and were telling him to chill, but he kept posting (plus the whole world was retweeting it). It was actually pretty sad to read both of them airing each other out, honestly.

15. duncanthecat says: Jan 28, 2013 8:37 PM

Twitter – give it another 3 yrs for the last intelligent person to shut their account.

Poor fools who think their followers are fans.

16. lakermetskins says: Jan 28, 2013 8:43 PM

McCoy- “the concussion made me do it”

17. deafrecon says: Jan 28, 2013 8:43 PM

a good woman can bring out the best in you, but a crazy bitch can bring out the absolute worst in you.

18. cobrala2 says: Jan 28, 2013 8:51 PM

they don’t call him Shady for nothing

19. vicksprman says: Jan 28, 2013 9:08 PM

Twitter is like watching a car accident over and over and over, it can be quite ridiculous and at the same time highly entertaining.

20. Duckhomie says: Jan 28, 2013 9:16 PM

Still looking forward to watching one group of criminals beat up another group of criminals on Sunday.

21. dannythebisforbeast says: Jan 28, 2013 9:25 PM

He knew her a week and believed her when she said she was on the pill. shady not too swifty.

22. 1rockyracoon says: Jan 28, 2013 9:40 PM

So disappointed. As a fan of the Eagles he was one of the few players who I enjoyed rooting for. I am glad he apologized, however, the words he used against the mother of his son were disgraceful. You can not blame someone else for the way you choose to react to them. Here is a tip for posting personal business on social media–don’t do it!

23. mangoldbond says: Jan 28, 2013 9:59 PM

Dude used to come down to Udel durin the offseason and do work on some fightin blue hens.

24. totallydisgusted says: Jan 28, 2013 10:12 PM

Funny to watch two idiots go back and forth. That’s what happens when you’re not selective of who you drop a baby in. LeSean is the biggest idiot in this because he (a) is arguing with a woman which is almost always pointless and (b) he gave some wretched, worthless ghetto rat an easy 18 year pay day.

25. east96st says: Jan 28, 2013 11:47 PM

If I owned a team, I would make it a standard contract clause that no player can use social media without the team screening it first. Sure, some guys would be upset, but I guarantee I would get thank you cards after they retired and everyone still thought they were “great guys” because I refused to allow them to self destruct in front of the entire world.

26. juanlongwang says: Jan 29, 2013 12:16 AM

So Shady McCoy is Lennay Kekua?

27. patriotinvasion says: Jan 29, 2013 12:26 AM

Man the Eagles could have doctored that PR written statement a little bit so it didn’t sound like it was coming from some old white guy, which it did.

28. edithpiaf51 says: Jan 29, 2013 12:27 AM

What McCoy did is inexcusable. It was abusive. Abuse is not just assult. Yelling and cursing at a woman is abuse too, as is sexual assault. he is a pig and an apology is not enough. He needs anger management. Any man that shows such anger and hostility towards any woman needs anger managenent. Eli Manning is a good role model. He respects his wife and is very gentle.

29. joetoronto says: Jan 29, 2013 4:49 AM

One day I’m going to read about an NFL player who married someone many years, is still with her and they had kids.

I just know it’s going to happen. SMH.

30. balfe13 says: Jan 29, 2013 7:37 AM

east96st: yeah, good luck with that. Circumventing the Constitution? Who do you think you are, the President?

31. yssupasigninnamnotyep says: Jan 29, 2013 9:47 AM

Once again: Twitter is for twits.