Lions hire former Broncos G.M. Brian Xanders

Brian Xanders AP

Former Denver Broncos general manager Brian Xanders has found a new home.

According to Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free Press, Xanders has been hired to work in the Lions front office. Per the team’s official website, Xanders will be a senior personnel executive for the Lions and has been tasked with changing the evaluation process for the team’s scouting department.

Xanders joined the Broncos as the team’s assistant general manager in 2008 before being promoted to general manager the following season. Xanders served as the Broncos general manager for three seasons from 2009 through 2011. Prior to his time in Denver, Xanders spent 14 years with the Atlanta Falcons in a variety of coaching and front office roles.

Permalink 17 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Denver Broncos, Detroit Lions, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
17 Responses to “Lions hire former Broncos G.M. Brian Xanders”
  1. benroethlisberger7 says: Jan 28, 2013 5:20 PM

I know one thing: we win SBs and you don’t.

2. redwinglion says: Jan 28, 2013 5:26 PM

I’d much rather they just fire Mayhew and replace him with Xanders.

3. dlions18 says: Jan 28, 2013 5:30 PM

They hired Xanders to become the G.M. after they fire Mayhew at the end of next season.

4. rushbacker says: Jan 28, 2013 5:31 PM

As a Denver fan, let me offer my condolences. Xanders is a bean counter who has no clue about talent. Good luck with that.

5. dlions18 says: Jan 28, 2013 5:33 PM

They hired Xanders to become the G.M. after they fire Mayhew at then end of next season

6. ttgb2 says: Jan 28, 2013 5:37 PM

When he was in Denver he wasn’t really the General Manager, the decision maker was McDaniels.

He had one year as basically really being the GM, and he drafted Von Miller over Marcel Dareus with the 2nd overall.

He was the guy who showed John Elway how to do his new job, despite knowing he was going to be canned once Elway was comfortable.

He’s a knowledgeable professional who works well within a system and doesn’t rock the boat, overall this should be a net positive for the Lions. I’m convinced the only reason Denver fired him was because he was one of the last vestiges of the McDaniels era.

7. ncm42 says: Jan 28, 2013 6:06 PM

ttgb, no way Xanders had the biggest influence over Elway’s first draft. That’s insanity

8. purpleguy says: Jan 28, 2013 6:15 PM

His official title will be the “guy-who-assures-they-don’t-draft- any-negligent-drivers/stompers-pot-heads-or-twitter-dopes”.

9. hardpeaches says: Jan 28, 2013 6:21 PM

Does he always look like he’s holding in a fart?

10. lions4life says: Jan 28, 2013 6:29 PM

Yawn…not sure if this changes things…

Step 1. Run a criminal background check before drafting.

11. coutre says: Jan 28, 2013 6:30 PM

Awesome! He can fail there too.

12. allgrls says: Jan 28, 2013 6:30 PM

Another magic solution to fix a problem nobody wants to talk about. If he was all that the Broncos wouldn’t have let him go. The Lions need to decide who they want to be, if they want to continue be the leagues laughing stock, then it business as usual, and they keep Sr. If they want to be somebody, then they need to clean house once and for all.

13. hadjiali says: Jan 28, 2013 6:44 PM

The Lions have no notable team leaders. Despite having an all-universe receiver and a young, capable quarterback they run one of the most predictable offenses in the NFL. The head coach seemingly has no sway with the character cases on the team, and even exacerbates that problem with his game-time antics. The defense is built on the theory of pressuring the qb but ranked 20th last year in sacks.

Adding another helper to throw $h!t at the wall on draft day will not fix this now. Nevertheless, we Lions fans must hope this move is good for the future.

14. kippler says: Jan 28, 2013 6:45 PM

He was in the room when Mcdouche drafted Tebow and he thought it was a good idea. I hope he learns how to say no some day.

15. bodester says: Jan 28, 2013 7:44 PM

Hi everyone, Martin Mayhew here. I know everyone thinks I should get fired, well I want everyone to know that this year I’m going to make all the right picks!

First of all, if there is an amazing defensive back available in the first round, I don’t care. I will take a defensive tackle because we draft based on the best player available. Period.

Secondly, in the 2nd round I will find the fastest, most talented, best fit player for our offense who has a torn ACL. Or a broken arm. Or a broken collarbone. You can bet on me that I will find the best player with the worst injury that no one else will take and pick him. Because I’m a genius.

16. dustinq says: Jan 28, 2013 9:01 PM

Who the hell is Curtis Crabtree?

17. turfrage says: Jan 28, 2013 10:42 PM

Kipper I’m assuming you must have been in the room too to say he thought it was a good idea?? Picks aren’t always mutual decisions.