Alex Smith on wanting release: Don’t know where that’s from

Super Bowl XLVII Media Day Getty Images

On Sunday, Mike Florio of PFT reported that 49ers quarterback Alex Smith was expected to seek his release from the 49ers rather than moving to a new team via a trade.

Smith was asked about that report during Super Bowl Media Day on Tuesday and said that he didn’t have any idea where that came from. He didn’t say it was an inaccurate assessment of his desired path to a new team, however, and wanting the chance to pick your own landing spot has to be at least somewhat appealing. Smith said that he’s only thinking about the Super Bowl, but his answers made it clear that he’s not totally unprepared for what’s coming up in the offseason.

“I still feel I have my best football ahead of me,” Smith said, via Matt Maiocco of CSNBayArea.com.”In that sense, I feel like I’ve gotten better and better. I feel like I’m capable of playing at a high level. So, yeah, I’m excited for my next opportunity, wherever that comes.”

Smith drew the most attention of any backup quarterback not on the Jets roster on Tuesday and he handled it as well as he’s handled everything since getting benched for Colin Kaepernick. He can’t hide that he wants to be a starter, though, and his $8.5 million salary for 2013 all but guarantees he’ll get that chance somewhere other than San Francisco.

Permalink 42 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, San Francisco 49ers, Top Stories
42 Responses to “Alex Smith on wanting release: Don’t know where that’s from”
  1. golforepar says: Jan 29, 2013 1:43 PM

49ers lose Smith, CK gets hurt (ALL running QBs get hurt) Who is the 3rd stringer??

2. niners816 says: Jan 29, 2013 1:45 PM

I’ve liked Smith, couldn’t stand him, and liked him again. It’s still a bit bitter being benched the way he did. He isn’t the best qb in the NFL but he has a been a total class act. I wish Alex nothing but the best, and he will always be a 49er. Go Niners!

3. chattanola says: Jan 29, 2013 1:50 PM

Surely he rather parlay his position so that he gets to select his next team and this signaling to be released couldn’t have come at a better time.

He knows “where that’s from” but he’s politely pretending to be focus on The game. He’s a good teammate. I’m pulling for him and I’ll bet Harbaugh is too.

4. nineroutsider says: Jan 29, 2013 1:55 PM

He may not know where that story came from, but of course he wants to be released and free to work out a new deal with the team of his choosing.

However, the 9ers will most likely get a trade offer for him that they can’t and won’t refuse. Some team will not want to take their chances in free agency and will secure his services via a trade. Hopefully the 9ers will at least get a list from him of places he would like to go so that they can make it a “win/win” for both sides. That is about the best scenario for Alex unless the market for him is much softer than we are thinking.

Alex has been a great soldier and many of you might be saying, “the team owes him his release”, but do consider that they have given him plenty over the years and they have revitalized him and put him in this position; they owe him nothing. All 9er fans should want the team to net something from being in this position, hopefully a 2nd round pick.

5. sirsupersouthern says: Jan 29, 2013 1:59 PM

Alex should start looking for houses in the Kansas City area…

6. rj2323 says: Jan 29, 2013 2:04 PM

I love Alex smith he’s a winner an doesn’t turn the ball over great QB

7. stigman2012 says: Jan 29, 2013 2:10 PM

Jim Harbaugh perhaps?

8. lumjack32 says: Jan 29, 2013 2:13 PM

Rumor has it: Harbaugh is pretty good at coaching / managing the QB position. 9ers will be fine at backup QB.

9. djjackson81 says: Jan 29, 2013 2:15 PM

Welcome to the Arizona Cardinal Alex

10. whatnojets says: Jan 29, 2013 2:16 PM

‘Jets on the 35 yard line, 3rd down and 20 to go. Smith takes the snap from Mangold, drops back and fires down the sidelines to Hill. Darrelle Revis intercepts the ball and returns for a 49′r touchdown”

11. adm350 says: Jan 29, 2013 2:17 PM

Alex Smith is a class act. He will do well if he’s coached well. Harbaugh will draft the next CK. that’s what he does.

12. buddysguys says: Jan 29, 2013 2:18 PM

i want Big Bird (CK) to get crushed and Alex to come in and win the game.

that’d be crazy huh?

13. rr2000k says: Jan 29, 2013 2:20 PM

Translation-damn right I want to be traded.

14. reasonableeaglefan says: Jan 29, 2013 2:24 PM

The Eagles could use him as a starter.

15. hendeeze says: Jan 29, 2013 2:24 PM

3rd stringer is Scott Tolzien, who in preseason looked better than Kap. (Albeit against weaker competition)

16. marcinhouston says: Jan 29, 2013 2:30 PM

He should not burn any bridges yet. Anything is still possible. Kaepernick could tear his ACL in the first quarter and Smith could come out on fire and win Superbowl MVP. While he doesn’t have Kaepernick’s athleticism he has stayed healthy and the gap between Smith and QBs set for big paydays like Flacco and Ryan is very small. Right now Smith needs to be prepared to step in to what could be a career defining game if he did step in, not start stepping out.

17. questforthesixthnotthelast2013 says: Jan 29, 2013 2:32 PM

Scott Tolzien is third string, i was rooting for him back in ’11. He reminded me of Alex, but i havent seen him play much as you all know how i feel, i thought Kap7 was good, but was young, i was wrong in both cases, he is phenominally good, and older than his years.
    i hope they atleast keep Tolzien, he knows the system and the players.
    but this report from the team that he is going anywhere is eronious at best, ima believe what They say over this site all day!
    thanks for lettin me vent! On with life!

18. uangerme says: Jan 29, 2013 2:33 PM

Rumor has it: Harbaugh is really good at whining and making ridiculous faces on the sideline.

19. steelerdeathstar says: Jan 29, 2013 2:35 PM

Next season, some other team is going to get a very good, and somewhat underrated and underappreciated QB in Alex Smith. Best of success to him.

20. thegaterecords says: Jan 29, 2013 2:36 PM

Scott Tolzien is better backup than Alex Smith

21. guitarkevin says: Jan 29, 2013 2:36 PM

If the 9ers lose the Super Bowl, it could be CK looking for a new gig next year, not Alex.

22. dioalice says: Jan 29, 2013 2:38 PM

I’d like to see the Cardinals bring him in. Restructure Kolb’s deal and let them fight it out to be the starter.

As long as one of them could stay healthy and get the ball to Larry Fitz, the Cards could be OK next year.

Plus, deep inside, you have to believe Smith would love to get the chance to prove Jim Harbaugh wrong 2X per season.

23. nygiantstones says: Jan 29, 2013 2:38 PM

I bet he goes to Buffalo.

24. sourdoughsam says: Jan 29, 2013 2:39 PM

Been a big Smith fan since his last season at Utah and so I naturally became a bigger fan of his when my favorite team drafted him back in 2005. After all the guy persevered through, I wish he could have been the guy to lead them to this game, but I can’t deny the talent Colin Kaepernick has – it’s like he’s playing a video game out there sometimes.

A lot of people give Harbaugh all the credit for Smith’s improved play, but Smith did as much for Harbaugh as Harbaugh did for Smith. I can’t respect the guy enough not just for the example he’s set, but for showing through his actions that he really wanted to be a 49er. There are still some 49ers fans out there who bash him, but I don’t see how people can bash a guy who puts all he can into trying to help your team win.

I look forward to watching the next chapter of Alex’s career, wherever that is. The 49ers should be just fine with Scott Tolzien as the backup.

25. delusionalcardsfan says: Jan 29, 2013 2:40 PM

Arizona.

26. thegaterecords says: Jan 29, 2013 2:42 PM

Trade him for Cromartie and a 2nd round draft pick; the Jets are desperate and have a weak salary cap

27. holahey123 says: Jan 29, 2013 2:44 PM

Trade or release Alex Smith. I don’t think he deserved to be on the bench and the 49ers would allocate cap room to other FA (Goldson). Sign Josh Johnson as a backup. Problem resolved.

28. 1phd says: Jan 29, 2013 2:44 PM

My guess is his agent.

29. scrp2 says: Jan 29, 2013 2:59 PM

“Don’t know where that’s from”

Translation:

“Would rather stay here than go to the Jets”

30. jt38 says: Jan 29, 2013 3:00 PM

Most of us bloggers are hard working individuals who labor everyday for our family’s doing jobs we hate. Alex is a millionare who plays football……why does everybody feel bad for him?

31. 49erstim says: Jan 29, 2013 3:11 PM

Time to clear this murky matter up a bit. The 49ers should NOT release Alex Smith. The 9ers do not have a ton of money invested at QB. He is either good trade bait or a good back up next year.

I am now and have always been a big Alex guy. I wanna see him do well and be a starter, but the 49ers MUST get a return on that investment.

32. balzer41 says: Jan 29, 2013 3:12 PM

This guy deserves a chance to start for somebody. Been really professional through all of this.

33. audge86 says: Jan 29, 2013 3:31 PM

Smith is being really classy about being benched. Good for him.

I hope the 49ers treat him right if they trade instead of releasing him. Like let him have veto power instead of sending him to the highest bidder. He’s been a good part of the organization and deserves to be able to refuse to go to somewhere like the Jets.

34. fanofevilempire says: Jan 29, 2013 3:32 PM

he will look good in green…………….
    he looks like he can play Jet football………………..

35. flik44 says: Jan 29, 2013 3:33 PM

Love Alex, but no way he gets a release so he can go play for the Cardinals in-division. Even if Niners get very little for him, sending him to the Chiefs, Jets or Jags is better than seeing him twice a year on the other side.

Good luck, Alex. We may need you yet.

36. radrntn says: Jan 29, 2013 3:51 PM

10 million to get splinters in your butt from riding the pine is not all that bad.

37. 49ersandshivabowl says: Jan 29, 2013 4:14 PM

JETS Give us your 1st round pick for Smith (though he’s only worth at most a 2nd) and we’ll even take Sanchez off your hands too.

Sincerely,

49ers

38. EJ says: Jan 29, 2013 4:23 PM

I am still on the edge with Smith, not sure if he has turned the corner fully from his first couple of seasons with the Niners. Was his decent play this year more about who he is surrounded by, who he is Coached by or his natural abilities? If his latest play is all him then I would welcome him to Buffalo. If not, then I’d rather have another year with Fitzpatrick while waiting for the next Montana, Manning or Luck to come out through the draft. I’m not all that positive on the few QB’s hitting the Market this year, whether It be Free Agency or the Draft.
    New Coach = Fresh start.

39. ripster65 says: Jan 29, 2013 5:36 PM

uangerme says:
    Jan 29, 2013 2:33 PM
    —————————-
    …and winning….RIGHT NOW!

40. mazblast says: Jan 29, 2013 7:55 PM

fanofevilempire says:

he will look good in green…………….
    he looks like he can play Jet football………………..
    —————————————-
    1. Anyone can play “Jet football”. My grandmother can play it, and she’s been dead for almost 29 years.
    2. Why do people want Alex Smith to go to the Jets? What do you have against this guy?

41. jssgriffi says: Jan 29, 2013 9:33 PM

Is Alex smith and Aaron Rodgers the same person?

42. chainbuzz says: Jan 29, 2013 9:43 PM

If Alex goes to the Jets, his career will be right back to where it was pre-Harbaugh.