Michael Oher is tired of “The Blind Side”

Michael Oher AP

Ravens tackle Michael Oher is probably the NFL’s most famous lineman: If you go to a Super Bowl party on Sunday, there’s a good chance that there will be someone there who doesn’t really follow football, but knows who Oher is. That’s because Oher’s life story was told in the bestselling book and hit movie The Blind Side.

But Oher could do without all the publicity that Hollywood gave him.

“I’m tired of the movie. I’m here to play football,” Oher said when asked about it at Super Bowl Media Day.

Oher wasn’t thrilled with his portrayal in the movie, particularly scenes depicting him not knowing what he was doing at his first football practice. But Oher does say that the movie accurately portrayed the love he has for his adoptive family.

“I’ve got them coming to the game,” Oher said. “They’re still my family.”

So that part of the movie is real. The part about Oher needing Sandra Bullock to show him how to block is Hollywood.

Permalink 39 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Baltimore Ravens, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
39 Responses to “Michael Oher is tired of “The Blind Side””
  1. eaglesnoles05 says: Jan 29, 2013 8:39 PM

Sandra Bullock can show me how to block anytime.

2. lovefootball4life says: Jan 29, 2013 8:39 PM

Left side, right side we’ll take you Oher. Just keep the false starts down.

3. brentfarve says: Jan 29, 2013 8:45 PM

Really? How tired do you think Joe Flacco is about being asked if he is elite? Ray Lewis being asked about murder, deer antler spray, and his motives to always using God to give his answer.

Enjoy this week and the Superbowl win and quit whining about being famous and making a ton of money. You almost sound as bad as all of us garbage talking raven fans.

4. thompgk says: Jan 29, 2013 8:46 PM

He’s sick of the story because 90% of the story is a lie. He was recruited to the high school and the family he lived with was used to recruit him to Ole Miss.

5. MichaelEdits says: Jan 29, 2013 8:46 PM

The difference between The Blind Side book and the movie rank right up there with Rocket Boys/October Sky.

If Sandra Bullock tried to block me, I believe I’d have to wrap her up.

6. cmdrsmooth says: Jan 29, 2013 8:48 PM

The part of annoying media is real. Can’t blame the young man.

7. frankrizzo51 says: Jan 29, 2013 8:49 PM

Give all the money from the movie back and move to Chicago.

Please.

8. mikeyp13nd says: Jan 29, 2013 8:51 PM

Thats because he is protecting Flacco’s other side now

9. csilojohnson says: Jan 29, 2013 8:53 PM

Apparently the absolute dominance on his part in that movie was all hollywood as well.

10. timegambit says: Jan 29, 2013 8:55 PM

Up until now I thought that was the Stevie Wonder story. I just can’t seem to focus.

So, Stevie never played in the NFL?

11. reasonablemindsays says: Jan 29, 2013 9:00 PM

I can understand. Oher is a laid back guy who doesn’t like all of the attention being on him. When you have a movie made about you before your career even starts, it’s sometimes more of a curse than it is a blessing. But Oher has handled all of the attention well and has managed to have a successful football career so far.

12. xaviermw says: Jan 29, 2013 9:00 PM

The Movie really portrays him as a lot dumber than he actually is, and I can see why he is tired of the movie.

The book, “The Blind Side”, on the other hand, is a great story, that is able to keep his beautiful narrative just as strong (without being Sandra-Bullocky cheesy), along with exploring the evolution of the West-Coast offense that allowed the left tackle position to gain such importance, and thus allowing Oher to get to where he is in his life. Its a must read if you are a football-fan. Unlike the movie, which is trash.

13. djstat says: Jan 29, 2013 9:01 PM

If your tired of the blind side, then do something on the field that makes people forget the movie and remember your play. Penalties and missed assignments won’t help

14. jckid21 says: Jan 29, 2013 9:01 PM

I can’t imagine he is tired of the monthly royalty check that rolls in for the movie using his name and likeness.

15. mrlitl says: Jan 29, 2013 9:02 PM

“Sandra Bullock can show me how to block anytime.”

I concur sir.

16. jsesquire says: Jan 29, 2013 9:02 PM

He’s tired of the attention that “Hollywood gave him????” When you sell your story for a book or movie, you’re probably going to get some attention. Suck it up.

17. rockthered1286 says: Jan 29, 2013 9:04 PM

Oher is a natural RT. he should’ve never been at LT. At least not at the NFL level. I’m just happy he’s cut back his happy feet false start routine this year. It’s especially embarrassing when you do it at home.

18. rcali says: Jan 29, 2013 9:07 PM

That movie is on my list of “never going to watch it.” Looks cheesy.

19. dawglb says: Jan 29, 2013 9:17 PM

Boo-Hoo…. I’m tired of you complaining about the movie. How about some appreciation? Try listening to your buddy Ray-Ray…….he was given a second chance at a nice life. So were you.

20. sowcrates says: Jan 29, 2013 9:20 PM

So San Francisco’s plan of releasing balloons to distract Oher from blocking isn’t going to work?

21. blackcatnfl says: Jan 29, 2013 9:22 PM

Flacco has two blind sides.

22. whatchutalkinabouthillis says: Jan 29, 2013 9:24 PM

@time gambit
    That’s a really good joke man! You should do standup.

23. wte1 says: Jan 29, 2013 9:24 PM

I wish I was a QB and Sandra Bullock was my center.

24. trojan33sc says: Jan 29, 2013 9:51 PM

If Michael is tired of “The Blind Side” then i’m assuming he (Mails Back)the residual checks ???!!!

25. sportsmeccabi says: Jan 29, 2013 9:53 PM

Sandra may have taught Michael how to block, but Id show her how to penetrate and split the gap.

26. gonavybeatarmy says: Jan 29, 2013 10:01 PM

Sandra Bullock has a tight end.

27. thatneuneu says: Jan 29, 2013 10:47 PM

He doesn’t like the movie?! I find it inspirational that a mentally handy capped young man can make it to the NFL. That’s what that movie taught me!. It also taught me that anything is possible with the love of a supportive upper middle class/rich family. Even though it didn’t work for the cast of Diff’rent Strokes…

28. brauningj says: Jan 29, 2013 10:48 PM

Sure the guy never played an organized snap in football was a man child and no one had to show him how to play the game? I guess he should have played the natural instead of robert redford. dont ever forget your humble beginnings michael oher. what a joke.

29. raiderinva says: Jan 29, 2013 10:52 PM

I met Michael Oher about a year ago. A kid about 8-10 years old had a copy of the DVD. Michael signed the cover over the actors buttocks.

I looked at Michael and commented that the guy on the cover was not even him. He rolled his eyes and explained that he was so tired of the movie. He seemed so bored with the movie and almost seemed to regret it. I felt kind of bad for him.

But he did smile and spend every second with the kid answering questions, taking every picture, and he tried to make him feel like he was on top of the world. Have to give Oher props for that.

30. pinion8ted says: Jan 29, 2013 11:03 PM

The only reason people know who Michael Oher IS, is because of that movie.

Shut up, Michael.

31. larrydavid7000 says: Jan 29, 2013 11:33 PM

Relax big mike. you ungrateful idiot.!!!!

32. tfbuckfutter says: Jan 29, 2013 11:51 PM

He should do what everyone else did.

Just kinda forget about it until someone mentions it and then go “Oh yeah, I think I remember getting that out of the Redbox awhile ago….football movie, right?”

33. deathonwings410 says: Jan 30, 2013 12:04 AM

Probably cuz hes below avg on the blindside

34. Dan Ewen says: Jan 30, 2013 12:10 AM

I sympathize with Oher. Sometimes it’s hard to escape the shadow of Hollywood.

Hell, if ‘Total Douche: The Ryan Leaf Story’ had never been in theaters his career might have been an entirely different story.

35. pixelito says: Jan 30, 2013 8:02 AM

Everyone hated Sandra Bullock’s awful attempt at a southern drawl.

36. northshorejag says: Jan 30, 2013 8:44 AM

Is he tired of the royalty money?

37. icardfan says: Jan 30, 2013 9:22 AM

I wish I was in a movie with Sandra Bullock called “The Backside”. I’d even deal with her annoying fake southern accent.

38. rc33 says: Jan 30, 2013 9:52 AM

Someone told me the girl that played Oher’s sister in that film was Phil Collins real-life daughter. Turns out she was right.

39. powercorrupts2 says: Feb 4, 2013 3:02 PM

He was homeless as a child but made it to the NFL and won a Super Bowl ring. In doing so he became a symbol of the freedom possible in our society. His adoptive mother/family broke with their culture to help him. So his story is also one of how racism is overcome. Being a symbol for society is not easy. Kudos to you and your mother Michael.