Moss admits he doesn’t like his role, but not divisive about it

Randy Moss AP

We mentioned earlier today that 49ers wide receiver Randy Moss declared himself the best wideout in the history of the game.

You’ll likely see much more about him in the coming days, in many outlets, because he was so open and forthcoming and illuminating about many topics during his appearance at Media Day.

But among the gems today was a candid admission that he didn’t particularly care for the way the 49ers used him this year.

In the past, it could have been a Keyshawn-level “Just Give Me the Damn Ball” routine, but Moss said it so matter-of-factly it was easy to miss.

“I don’t like my role; I don’t,” he said. “I like to be out there playing football. One thing that I’ve always had to really understand was being a decoy. It was put to me, Coach Dennis Green just said, ‘Even though the football is not in your hand, you’re still out there dictating how the defense is playing the offense.’ It took me awhile to really understand where he was coming from. Later on and now in my career, I understand that my presence out on the field, I don’t always have to touch the ball to be able to help the offense score touchdowns.

“Like I said, I don’t really like that, but it’s something that I’m used to. I have to grow to understand and grow to like it. I’ve always been a team player. I’ve never been about self. Anything that is going to push our team to victory and hopefully win a Super Bowl, I’m willing to do.”

No, that was Moss, who hasn’t always been accused to giving freely of himself for the greater good.

But 49ers offensive coordinator Greg Roman said Moss had been nothing but professional.

“He’s been great,” Roman said. “I think he’s a great team player, and a mentor for all the guys, really.”

His love of competition has never been in doubt. Moss joked about past arguments, even fights, he’s had with coaches and players. But his role with the 49ers, as much as he might not like it, remains a valuable one, as Roman insisted Moss could still “get behind a defense in a hurry.”

“When I hear people talk about how talented I am and how easy I make it look, I can honestly tell you people that it’s very hard work,” Moss said. “I work out five times a week. I put the work in and for me to be able to go out there and have results it something I am proud of. It’s not always the individual results that I’m proud of. For me to be able to talk to a Michael Crabtree or talk to a Frank Gore or Percy Harvin and for them to go out there and have a good game that week, that’s something I can be proud of. That’s just me giving back to the NFL.

“I’ve always said, I don’t like what the NFL does for me because I’m very blessed. My family is blessed. I’ve always been the type of person to know what I can do to make the League better. At this point in my career, if I’m able to be vocal, to share a little knowledge and also to go out there and play, if that’s what it takes to win a championship, then I’m willing to do that. I’ve always been that way.”

Maybe so, but he hasn’t been quite the way he was Tuesday too often, or the perception of his career would likely be very different.

Permalink 29 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, San Francisco 49ers
29 Responses to “Moss admits he doesn’t like his role, but not divisive about it”
  1. hockeyflow33 says: Jan 29, 2013 5:04 PM

I miss his post game press conference in New England.

2. besafewithit says: Jan 29, 2013 5:05 PM

He sounds delusional. He’s not a game-changing decoy helping them move the ball down the field – he’s an old veteran warming the bench.

3. larryboodry says: Jan 29, 2013 5:21 PM

“I’ve always been that way.”

No, but if that was true folks wouldn’t dispute your claim of being the best receiver of all time.

4. dukemarc says: Jan 29, 2013 5:25 PM

I think the Vikings saw a little too much of you in Percy this year, Randy.

5. Tre says: Jan 29, 2013 5:27 PM

Hey, buddy ^ Moss is the starting WR in the Super Bowl. Not warming the bench. He’s also had a few catches, a few touchdowns, and I could see him having a big Super Bowl. Perhaps he was a decoy most of the season, not just in individual games…and will be unleashed on Sunday. Ya never know.

6. DubZ480 says: Jan 29, 2013 5:30 PM

Moss is a total legend. Even with his antics.

Moss = Straight Cash Homey!! lol

And is good as Rice was, NO ONE put fear into a defense like a young Randy Moss!

7. 97tahoe says: Jan 29, 2013 5:31 PM

Straight Cash Homie…………

8. hatesycophants says: Jan 29, 2013 5:47 PM

Every.time you try to get cute you step all over yourself and the English language.

You have never been as good at anything as Moss has been this year at WR. How does that make you feel?

9. mogogo1 says: Jan 29, 2013 5:52 PM

“When Moss is on, he’s extremely interesting, he just chooses not to be on often.”
    ______________________

Geez, tough to see why, what with the media attempting to create controversy over his role for the ENTIRE year…including leading up to the Super Bowl itself.

10. wludford says: Jan 29, 2013 5:55 PM

“I’ve always been a team player. I’ve never been about self.”

Yeah. Right.

11. kpow55 says: Jan 29, 2013 6:01 PM

Best Ever?

Did we forget about Jerry Rice maybe? Calvin isn’t there yet but working that way….. maybe Moss can be #4 or 5 when people forget about his Raider/Titan years.

12. patriots2120 says: Jan 29, 2013 6:11 PM

“Get your #81 jerseys ready Pats fans”!…oh wait, that’s Hernandez….

Now he can have his #84 with NE if Branch doesn’t come back.

I’d love to see Moss back in NE.

13. jlb10 says: Jan 29, 2013 6:29 PM

I’ve always been a team player. I’ve never been about self.

what about those2 years in oakland when you sat and gave up and pouted? i guess that was for the good of the team?

14. JackAcid says: Jan 29, 2013 6:36 PM

Put down Moss as potential x-factor in the Niners offense on Sunday.

Greg Roman, undoubtedly, has been putting things together that haven’t been seen all year on film.

Moss’ quiet season plays into that thinking; same is true for Delanie Walker and AJ Jenkins.

15. hehateme30 says: Jan 29, 2013 6:38 PM

Moss chokes in Super Bowls…..

16. swagger91 says: Jan 29, 2013 7:00 PM

Rice
    Moss
    Harrison
    Largent
    Owens

17. CKL says: Jan 29, 2013 7:06 PM

I’m sure Alex Smith isn’t happy with his role either but he hasn’t quite spoken about it this way.
    Greatest talent to play WR? Could be. Greatest WR? Not so much.

18. jblandbeardown says: Jan 29, 2013 7:12 PM

Is he on 1 year deal? I wouldn’t mind seeing Bears take a flyer on him. What could it hurt? If he still works out often and has speed, wouldn’t a west coast type scheme be ideal? Jerry Rice played until forever w/ Trestman at end of career. Why not Phil Emery?

19. questforthesixthnotthelast2013 says: Jan 29, 2013 7:31 PM

I could see him coming back, smith (as reported eroniously here) may go elsewhere, that frees up cap space, i say give him some! Who else will be there on the other side of Crabtree? Manningham? If he comes back healthy maybe. Extend the freak!!!
    just an idear!!

20. chitown12 says: Jan 29, 2013 7:37 PM

This is called Maturing

Most of us evolve from “me” to “we”. The good news is we don’t have to do it in public. I love the new Randy.

21. ddogdaddy says: Jan 29, 2013 8:05 PM

YAC. YARDS AFTER CATCH.

Moss lined opposite of Reggie Wayne, TY Hilton in the slot and Coby Fleenor at TE catching balls from Andrew Luck running Pep Hamilton’s WCO I am guessing would make the rest of the NFL a bit nervous. Makes me a little weak in the knees just thinking about it.

22. mydoglouie says: Jan 29, 2013 8:20 PM

Lots of I’s in this article.

23. jollyjoker2 says: Jan 29, 2013 8:20 PM

Jerry Rice must be busting a gut from laughing this hard. Best ever ,,,ha ha ha! Too funny. This guy never could take a hit over the middle. Never. Just a long deap threat with speed in his prime, now…their aint’ no separation so go away.

24. stoneygroove says: Jan 29, 2013 8:29 PM

I have to admit I am a little shocked about how well he has handled the situation. I think he must really want the ring bad to be such a team player about it. Are you listening Brandon Jacobs?

25. raven49erfan says: Jan 29, 2013 9:01 PM

I think Harbaugh has played a role in the maturity level of this team. He seems to get the most out of the young players and the veterans, and they play as a team. While Joe Flacco made a dumb comment about a NY/ NJ Super Bowl, and Ray Lewis is at the center of PED talk—all is quiet on the 49er front.

26. raven49erfan says: Jan 29, 2013 11:09 PM

Glad that Moss has finally grown up.

27. realninerfan22 says: Jan 30, 2013 1:19 AM

Haha we rather run read option instead of trowing to maybe the 2 most physical freaks ever in the NFL. Randy moss and Vernon. Frank gore even called it fake football.

28. Sometimes Interesting says: Jan 30, 2013 1:40 AM

Rice might have been a better receiver, but Moss was more fun to watch.

Man, I remember the Culpepper-to-Moss days like it was yesterday. Those were entertaining times in the NFL.

29. dallas4life says: Jan 30, 2013 8:17 AM