Pollard would prefer his son didn’t play, but wouldn’t stop him

Bernard Pollard AP

Maybe Ravens safety Bernard Pollard is hoping he’s prophetic.

After saying earlier this week that he wasn’t sure the NFL would even exist in 30 years, he said Tuesday he’d prefer his his son to not play football.

At the same time, one of the league’s hardest hitters knows that’s only his call for so long.

“My whole stance right now, this is my outlet, I would let him play the game,” Pollard said. “ For us as fathers and mothers, we want our kids to have better than what we had, so that comes down to us setting up things later on in life and kind of prepping them as they grow. If he’s going to want to play, then I would let him play. I don’t want him to, but I would let him play, so he’s starting to see that he can kick the ball and everything else. It’s just hard; my son’s 4 years old. He’s seeing now, he wants to throw the ball around, he wants to be tackled, he wants to do all those things, so I see that. I see it in him.

“That’s one of the things that’s kind of hard to watch, and we talk about it all the time, but you know, it sucks because, I don’t ever want to see my son [get hurt], and I know concussions happen, but just to see him go through it, the daily grind and the aches and the pains of the body and young injuries, I don’t want to see my son go through that.”

At the same time, Pollard doesn’t exactly play the way that would set an example for his son.

But he said the physical pain also comes with a gain, as the benefits of the sport go beyond the more comfortable environment the money can provide.

“Well, I think it’s one of those things where it teaches you discipline, it teaches you responsibility, because you’re not, it’s no longer about you. It’s about high school, college, however many guys are on the team, and it’s about all of them,” Pollard said. “You have to think about them before you want to make certain decisions, coaches that you come across in pee wee, metro, middle school, high school, college, you know it’s just about those relationships, and for me, it’s about me, you know, that I have to be more responsible. I have to be disciplined as a man, as a father and as a husband, you know, and I think so many people, the game of football, you get a small window to play this game.

“Life is so much bigger than this, and we as players and coaches and media, we make this game harder than what it is. It’s still a game. It really is. It’s still a game, you know. We are men, and life is so much greater than this.”

But his greater responsibility is to his family, and though Pollard has been steadfast about his own play, his hesitance to subject his flesh and blood to it is telling.

Permalink 18 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Baltimore Ravens, Home, Rumor Mill
18 Responses to “Pollard would prefer his son didn’t play, but wouldn’t stop him”
  1. sabatimus says: Jan 29, 2013 7:03 PM

Perhaps Pollard should’ve led by example, then.

2. nineroutsider says: Jan 29, 2013 7:04 PM

Turn your current wealth into generational wealth and you will be the only one to sacrifice your body for the benefit of the family. Don’t throw your money away like so many guys do.

3. jagsfan1 says: Jan 29, 2013 7:07 PM

You go Bernard…just keep takin’ out them Patriots…

4. badintent says: Jan 29, 2013 7:09 PM

Pollard, tell your son to try med school, law school, MBA school

5. dabearsk says: Jan 29, 2013 7:09 PM

I like what he has to say there…gotta love how hard he plays the game…Football certainly isn’t for everyone..but if you do have some talent and strong enough fortitude the riches are certainly there to provide your family many opportunities…and one of them may be not to breakdown your body as football does to all.

6. reed20fence says: Jan 29, 2013 7:13 PM

Say what you will, but at least as far as defense goes, history doesn’t remember anyone that doesn’t play with reckless abandonment.

7. melikefootball says: Jan 29, 2013 7:16 PM

I don’t see one of these players quiting. Hypocritical at its best, the NFL.

8. wheresmyjuice says: Jan 29, 2013 7:35 PM

I’m not a Ravens fan but Bernard Pollard- even in the later stages of his career- is quickly becoming one of my favorite players

9. nmking26 says: Jan 29, 2013 7:54 PM

I don’t see one of these players quiting. Hypocritical at its best, the NFL.

________

How is he being hypocritical? Ask any parent of an NFL player, they worry EVERY SINGLE SUNDAY, that their son will be injured or worse. Even though they’re happy and proud of the fact that their son is in the NFL, they can’t help but worry.

How do you think Steven Ridleys parents felt last week?

Pollard is in the same boat. Even though he loves the game, as a parent, he’d hate to see his son hurt.

It has nothing to do with hypocrisy. Just a parent wanting something for his son that every other parent does. Except this parent has first hand knowledge of the affects of the game.

10. fumbleprone says: Jan 29, 2013 8:17 PM

if I wasn’t a patriots fan I would say I couldn’tagreee more but the patriot blood in me boils with the sound of his name…just kidding but honestly bill trade for this guy we will never have another injury ever again

11. Nofoolnodrool says: Jan 29, 2013 9:06 PM

Pollard is a joke…somebody son is who he tries to intentionally hurt…so his son is fare game..different perspective Mr Pollard eh..I don’t expect him or the Raven fans to agree till one of theirs get hurt then the outcry will be deafening…..

12. vertskate900 says: Jan 29, 2013 9:57 PM

Will this clown ever stop complaining? A few days ago he complained that his “job sucks.” Now he wants to keep his son away from the game…if football is so evil, why doesn’t he quit after returning the millions of dollars the game has given him? Truck drivers have a mortality rate 11 times higher than the average of the national workforce, and they’re fathers too who are trying to provide for their families but they don’t get showered with millions and they don’t get an opportunity to whine and moan to the media about the risks and hardships like this self-important moron Pollard does. Don’t even get me started on men and women in the armed forces, coal miners, fire fighters etc. you know, REAL jobs with plenty of risk and no where near the reward of playing in the NFL.

13. bigboysmash says: Jan 30, 2013 12:36 AM

say what you want about his playing style, but he is one of the most articulate football players we have in the league. go and listen to his interviews he sounds like a well educated man not someone who used football as a excuse to not put effort into his education while in college as most football players do nowadays.

14. boyshole25 says: Jan 30, 2013 6:04 AM

Push him to be a lawyer or an accountant that way he will make money off of people’s hard work like all the vultures in the real working world do

15. ravensfan8780 says: Jan 30, 2013 6:04 AM

My dad played in the league and he never pushed for me to play football. He actually preferred for me to play basketball or baseball. I did play one year of football in high school but I ended picking basketball as my sport of choice. My dad who didn’t play long in the NFL still walks with a limp from his playing days.

16. drednot says: Jan 30, 2013 6:16 AM

I’ve had about enough of this double-talking hypocrite! Someone tell this turd to shut the hell up!

17. ytsejamer1 says: Jan 30, 2013 9:28 AM

Even though this guy has single-handedly laid waste to my Pats throughout the years, I really wish he was roaming the secondary for us. I think he’s one of those players that you hate when he’s opposing you, but would love to have if he was on your team. I like watching this guy play the game.

I also agree with the sentiment that he’s one of the more articulate players in the league. It’s a credit to him…a player who really brings the noise can also express himself as gracefully as he wants to.

18. richc111 says: Jan 30, 2013 11:43 AM

I wonder if Pollard saw his son crossing the field and just caught a ball he would drill him in the head with his helmet like he does to everyone else?