Ryan Kalil has no regrets for Super Bowl ad

Ryan Kalil AP

Panthers center Ryan Kalil replied “probably not” when asked if he was buying more newspaper advertising next year, considering Super Bowl week is happening in New Orleans without him, despite his published promise to be here.

“It didn’t work out? What do you mean?” Kalil joked. “The Super Bowl’s this week?

But he told Joe Person of the Charlotte Observer that he didn’t regret promising a Super Bowl appearance for a team that had to fight for a 7-9 finish.

“Look, I have no misconception about how hard it is to win in this league,” he said. “But I’m not the kind of guy who can buy into managing expectations or rebuilding or timing.

“Maybe I’m wrong, but that’s just not how I feel.”

If the Panthers are going to make any kind of push next year, they’re going to have to learn to win close games, as they’re 13-19 under coach Ron Rivera, but just 2-12 in games decided by a touchdown or less.

Permalink 7 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Carolina Panthers, Rumor Mill
7 Responses to “Ryan Kalil has no regrets for Super Bowl ad”
  1. thegreatgabbert says: Jan 29, 2013 5:22 PM

You’re wrong.

2. kicksave1980 says: Jan 29, 2013 5:55 PM

Maybe it was over the top to take out an ad, but I have no problem whatsoever with him or anyone else having the confidence to say that they’re going to the Super Bowl. If you go into training camp thinking you’re going to miss the playoffs or not go all the way, why bother even showing up? I would WANT my favorite team to carry that attitude.

3. godofwine330 says: Jan 29, 2013 6:35 PM

No player on any team want to go into any year thinking that they can’t win it all. With what the Rams pulled in 99 it is possible for all. I’m glad he did it.

4. ajw21 says: Jan 29, 2013 6:39 PM

In every level every person thinks there going to be good in training camp before you play any game that matters. My senior year of hs I thought our football team would be awesome. We ended up 3-6.

5. jameswestphal says: Jan 29, 2013 7:03 PM

The man put his money where his mouth is, it didn’t work out, and he didn’t run from it. Respectable.

6. finsphan says: Jan 29, 2013 8:17 PM

it’s ok Ryan, you found out the hard way just like every other nfl fan had too, thinking scam newton was better than he really is.

7. joetoronto says: Jan 30, 2013 8:04 AM

Until that idiot behind Center grows up, the Panthers are going nowhere.