Chris Culliver makes homophobic remarks during Media Day

San Francisco 49ers' Smith jokes with teammate Culliver as they pose for a team picture during Media Day for the NFL's Super Bowl XLVII in New Orleans Reuters

While Ravens linebacker Brendan Ayanbadejo is using his Super Bowl platform to advocate for same-sex marriage, it appears 49ers cornerback Chris Culliver is working in the opposite direction.

Culliver made several disparaging remarks when asked about the possibility of having a homosexual teammate by radio personality (and former Howard Stern sidekick) Artie Lange.

The audio of the exchange was played during Lange’s show (and passed along by the San Jose Mercury News), with Culliver making it seem clear that a gay teammate would not be welcome.

I don’t do the gay guys man,” Culliver said. “I don’t do that. No, we don’t got no gay people on the team, they gotta get up out of here if they do.

“Can’t be with that sweet stuff. Nah … can’t be … in the locker room man. Nah.”

The 49ers as a franchise have been forward in their efforts to be open-minded, with four players (Ahmad Brooks, Ricky Jean-Francois, Isaac Sopoaga and Donte Whitner) appearing in a video supporting the anti-bullying campaign called “It Gets Better,” which is targeted at lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender youth.

“The San Francisco 49ers are proud to join ItGetsBetter.org, to let all LGBT teens know that it gets better,” Whitner said in the video. “On behalf of the entire 49ers organization, we are on your side, and we promise it gets better.”

Maybe Whitner can start by cleaning up his own locker room, or at least talk to Culliver about making a Flacco-style apology it before his next appearance in front of reporters tomorrow.

Permalink 30 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, San Francisco 49ers
30 Responses to “Chris Culliver makes homophobic remarks during Media Day”
  1. Mr. Wright 212 says: Jan 30, 2013 5:07 PM

You can’t say anything in this world anymore. Unless you’re ridiculously liberal, then no one can question you.

Somehow.

2. eatitfanboy says: Jan 30, 2013 5:14 PM

Me thinks thou dost protest too much.

3. blackandbluedivision says: Jan 30, 2013 5:14 PM

Apology in T-10…9…8…7…6…5…

4. jackpardeepants says: Jan 30, 2013 5:16 PM

Why was this even a question? Stupid!

Culliver is stupid to for taking the bait

5. fearthehoody says: Jan 30, 2013 5:17 PM

I always wondered why Kwame Harris was no longer a 49er

6. jackpardeepants says: Jan 30, 2013 5:23 PM

Nice subliminal pic

7. metalhead65 says: Jan 30, 2013 5:24 PM

I guess culliver better make plans to issue the mandatory apology for daring to express how he feels even though it is not politically correct. he should also look forward to being scheduled to attend reeducation I mean sensitivity training so he can be forced to change his views to fit in with the pc crowd.

8. deenice810 says: Jan 30, 2013 5:28 PM

Apology coming right about now.

9. nineroutsider says: Jan 30, 2013 5:35 PM

Just play a good game Cully…

10. legionofboom88 says: Jan 30, 2013 5:36 PM

Talk about amazing media week for the 9ers…

11. thisisminnow says: Jan 30, 2013 5:53 PM

perhaps culver should be more concerned about what’s going on on the field and not worry about the locker room so much.

12. anyonebutbrady says: Jan 30, 2013 7:03 PM

That picture is priceless…

13. iknowzeroaboutsports says: Jan 30, 2013 8:55 PM

One more reason to root for the Ravens on Sunday.

14. loungefly74 says: Jan 30, 2013 9:03 PM

good grief…(smacks forehead)

15. jucam1 says: Jan 30, 2013 9:30 PM

Shut up with the “oh the liberal media strikes again!”…. Stop being stupid, I am all about the man having his views, however this is him being “scared” to accept another human being’s life style… Who cares?… It’s similar to the nut bags that say “the Gov’t ain’t gonna get my Guns”… You love guns, should you be hated or not “accepted” for owning a gun?….. If there was a God, he would be so dissapointed

16. 1historian says: Jan 30, 2013 10:38 PM

I bet that comment really made a big hit with all those 9ers fans in the Castro district.

17. 1historian says: Jan 30, 2013 10:39 PM

1 more reason to root for the 9ers

18. bjtmeyer says: Jan 30, 2013 10:51 PM

What’s so wrong about telling the truth?

19. yem123 says: Jan 30, 2013 11:10 PM

Can we just talk about football please?

20. zeeman911 says: Jan 30, 2013 11:23 PM

Did you read his responses? Is that even English? No doubt this guy had no clue what he was saying……that’s what happens when you play football, you get passed all through school……

21. katzzmeow says: Jan 30, 2013 11:51 PM

Don’t got no – huh? What an awful attitude and what awful English speaking skills.

Now I know to root for the Ravens!

22. opinion157983 says: Jan 31, 2013 12:00 AM

I often wonder, not being African American myself, if many African American ancestors would slap someone like this and remind them of the struggles they had to go through if they were here today. You could simply replace “gay” in his quote with “blacks” and it would echo bigoted sentiments on teams from not so long ago.

23. mancave001 says: Jan 31, 2013 7:11 AM

I’m as against political correctness run amok, but this is more than that. He didn’t express an opinion on gay marriage or gays in the military or any other matter of public concern. He basically said he doesn’t like gay people and that they are not welcome in the locker room. That is bigotry, plain and simple.

24. lionbloodwinning says: Jan 31, 2013 7:35 AM

so let me get this straight…a woman rejects the idea of sex with a man…and its her right…but a man rejects the idea of sex with a man…and somehow he’s a bigot? oh ok…I thought that’s what we were saying now…just wanted to make sure.

25. hiswillbedone74 says: Jan 31, 2013 7:52 AM

I’d much rather hear a question that asks about how he plans to stop Boldin! Also in response to how African American’s ancestors would respond, being African American myself I can tell you it’s a non sequitur to think we should view sexuality the same way we view race. Race is inherent and sexuality is an orientation, one can choose to abstain from any sexuality one cannot choose to abstain from Race

26. patriotenvy says: Jan 31, 2013 9:17 AM

I want to see that ‘Ross the intern’ guy interview him.

27. sportsluvr1 says: Jan 31, 2013 9:17 AM

I wonder how 49ers TE Vernon Davis feels about this? It would be a good time to stop being DL and come out. Ask his partner Antone Barnes how he feels. Time for the NFL to open the closet like World Rugby teams have as well as Aussie League Football.
    It’s fricken 2013 for Gds Sake! Grow up ppl!

28. bullcharger says: Jan 31, 2013 1:14 PM

Culliver… there are definitely gay people on your team. 53 guys…. someone there is gay for sure… and given that they are around idiots like you they will never let anyone know.

29. Mr. Wright 212 says: Jan 31, 2013 7:20 PM

Exactly what I’m talking about. He has a view that you don’t like, so he’s an “idiot”. Let me agree, and he’s Gandhi to your ilk.

30. laugh4longtyme says: Jan 31, 2013 7:33 PM

i agree with his will be done 74, but race is actually a group of people who are regarded by themselves or by others as distinct from other groups on the basis of physical appearance. Skin color has a small minute part of inherence. Ethnicity is really what you are talking about. life seems to be about tolerance and not standing on the truth of GOD. For me to side with what is tolerant in the world just makes me cling to Jesus more. I would rather belief in Jesus and it not true, than to not believe and it be true. it’s a win win for me.