Ed Reed could “definitely” see himself as a Patriot

Ed Reed Pic Getty Images

Ravens safety Ed Reed is an impending free agent, and it’s become popular to dot-connect Reed to New England as a match with longtime admirer Bill Belichick.

The speculation was fueled when Peter King of SI.com predicted on last Sunday’s Pro Bowl pregame show that Reed will indeed sign with the Patriots. King likened the hypothetical signing to Rodney Harrison’s with the Pats, back in 2003.

Reed was specifically asked by reporters Wednesday whether he could envision himself playing in Foxboro.

“Yeah, oh yeah man,” said Reed, per the Boston Herald. “I could definitely play for coach Belichick. He is a great coach. I’m sure he can help me to expand my football knowledge even more as a player and as a coach, so if I’m ever able to be around him, just like I was at the Pro Bowl, it’s huge.

“It’s the reason why I wear my sweater cut off a little bit. He’s the first guy I saw like, ‘That’s cool.’ You know, that’s cool. He cuts those sweater sleeves, and he’ll be comfortable.”

Sunday’s Super Bowl game against the 49ers is tentatively expected to be Reed’s last in a Ravens uniform.

Permalink 90 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Baltimore Ravens, New England Patriots, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
90 Responses to “Ed Reed could “definitely” see himself as a Patriot”
  1. tbd3 says: Jan 30, 2013 1:58 PM

But then the Patriots wouldn’t have an awful secondary… What is football if the Patriots can defend the pass?

2. bosfaninva says: Jan 30, 2013 2:01 PM

I’d love to see Reed end his career earning an SB ring as a Patriot.

3. bh83 says: Jan 30, 2013 2:02 PM

Way to stay focused on the task at hand….that being said welcome to New England

4. ravensfan19 says: Jan 30, 2013 2:03 PM

Don’t Do It Ed. Joining the Patriots is a Step Down.

5. stigman2012 says: Jan 30, 2013 2:03 PM

Nothing screams team player like wooing a hated conference rival four days before the Super Bowl.

6. rockthered1286 says: Jan 30, 2013 2:03 PM

Ravens win the SB- Reed to Miami for $$$$$

Ravens lose the SB- Reed to New England for one more shot.

Either way, Harbs and Reed have never seen eye to eye. I don’t expect him back in purple and black. Hurts but it’s the truth.

7. seabronco says: Jan 30, 2013 2:06 PM

Send him to Denver with Revis! They can sign Urlacher too!

8. bullcharger says: Jan 30, 2013 2:07 PM

Can Reed stay healthy for another year?

9. all4patriots says: Jan 30, 2013 2:07 PM

Welcome aboard, Ed.

Most NFL players, in fact, welcome a chance to learn from the best and contend for a title every year. The Pats never pay the most and yet even a lot of the guys that leave not on the best of terms, like Randy Moss, look back and call it heaven on Earth.

If winning is your thing and not maximum $$$ and personal stats, then Foxboro is a fine destination.

10. patriotinvasion says: Jan 30, 2013 2:08 PM

This would be awesome. Talib, Reed, McCourty, and Dennard could finally be the secondary the Patriots defense has lacked since it last won a Super Bowl.

11. jamaltimore says: Jan 30, 2013 2:08 PM

Thanks all the ravens stories. Keep feeding the beast. Ed is great but he’s well past his prime just like pats so he’ll fit in fine. However I doubt he walks away from a chance to repeat as Superbowl champs.

12. rpiotr01 says: Jan 30, 2013 2:08 PM

Leverage!

13. sammykbuck10 says: Jan 30, 2013 2:08 PM

Well if you’re Bill Belichick…if you can’t beat em, sign em.

14. commonsensedude says: Jan 30, 2013 2:09 PM

Eh, Ed … Dude, you’ve got a Super Bowl appearance coming up in four days. Maybe this isn’t the best time to be speculating about your possible future plans with another team. Just a suggestion …

15. nineroutsider says: Jan 30, 2013 2:09 PM

You can’t blame the guy for making a pitch, but if you want to get paid at your age it won’t happen with the Patriots.

16. peytonsneck18 says: Jan 30, 2013 2:09 PM

Sellout

17. rc33 says: Jan 30, 2013 2:09 PM

Problem is Reed is a Free Safety and that also happens to be Devin McCourtey’s best position. If they want to move McCourtey back to CB that’s fine as long as they have a true #1 CB alongside.
    The Safety held N.E. needs is at Strong Safety and truth be told, I’d rather have McCourtey at age 25 playing his best position for the next decade than Reed for 1 or 2 years at age 34.
    The Free Safety position in N. E. is not at all broken if they can keep McCourtey there.

18. flash1283 says: Jan 30, 2013 2:10 PM

—–

Oh man, the Patriot haters are not going to like this.
    A respected player around the league saying something positive about BB and the Patriots.

19. robertocfg says: Jan 30, 2013 2:10 PM

I’m not sure I’ve ever seen a man-crush of such proportions as the one Belichick has on Reed.

20. ampats says: Jan 30, 2013 2:11 PM

Welcome to Foxborough Ed Reed !

21. mchatrie says: Jan 30, 2013 2:14 PM

If the patriots pick up Revis and Reed, and resign Talib, they could be a very dangerous defense

Already getting my hopes up for next season

22. justintuckrule says: Jan 30, 2013 2:16 PM

I can see the future. Next year, Jerrel Jernigan, an unheralded special teamer, goes up high in the air and pins an Eli Manning pass against his helmet with Reed draped all over him allowing the Giants to go on and complete the trifecta of beating the Pats in the Meadowlands SB!!

23. ridingwithnohandlebars says: Jan 30, 2013 2:17 PM

Not a huge surprise. He is going to be a free agent after this game so he would be silly to say no.

24. reed20fence says: Jan 30, 2013 2:17 PM

Wow. Never realized that that second ticket to paradise you were singing about when Ravens fans gathered in the freezing cold on Monday morning to see you off to the Super Bowl was a one-way to Foxboro?

I guess loyalty has a monetary value. And Eddie will go wherever they value loyalty the most.

25. zpizzo says: Jan 30, 2013 2:19 PM

as a patriots fan, I just giggled a little imagining a secondary that can’t be picked apart by a pop warner quarterback

26. fanofevilempire says: Jan 30, 2013 2:25 PM

I agree, his sweater fashion is awesome!

and when he throws up the hoody, gameover!

27. ravenator says: Jan 30, 2013 2:26 PM

Join a team the Ravens just beatdown, makes sense Ed.

28. ratbirdsrule says: Jan 30, 2013 2:27 PM

leaves corners out to dry and gives up the big play…any more has not had any interceptions…he’s a non factor now…but I still love him

29. rhamrhoddy says: Jan 30, 2013 2:27 PM

robertocfg says:

—————————————–

Doesn’t exactly sound like Reed minds being wooed by BB either.

30. eflem80 says: Jan 30, 2013 2:32 PM

As a Raven fan the only thing that is bothering me about this is the fact he’s saying all this 4 days before the SB. If he wants to bounce to NE next month…fine with me! As great as Reed has been for the majority of his career in Baltimore…he hasn’t tackled anyone in about 3 years….he’ll fit right in with that God awful Patriot secondary. Move Jimmy Smith to FS…problem solved.

31. clashers says: Jan 30, 2013 2:33 PM

I’d love to see what Belichick says the first time Reed tries to lateral an int or punt return for a fumble loss.

32. patriotsdefense says: Jan 30, 2013 2:35 PM

Yes, Yes, YES.

I don’t care if he’s 35. This is exactly what the Patriots defense needs. Pre-snap alone he will be worth his weight in gold for getting people lined up correctly.

33. willardj says: Jan 30, 2013 2:36 PM

I’d love to see Reed end his career on a successful regular season team that inevitably fails in the playoffs.

34. Nofoolnodrool says: Jan 30, 2013 2:37 PM

He will just have to play two years in New England right?

35. rushmatic says: Jan 30, 2013 2:38 PM

ravensfan19 says:

Don’t Do It Ed. Joining the Patriots is a Step Down.

__________

Hey, the worst of the worst Ravens fans ARE still here in the wake of recent controversies. They’re just not commenting on the bad Ravens stories. Interesting.

36. jackdaniels1 says: Jan 30, 2013 2:39 PM

But….but Bill cheats. Who would want to play for a cheater

37. brutus9448 says: Jan 30, 2013 2:40 PM

Yes an old 37 year old safety would be great for the pats. The rest of AFC east will thank you.

38. bullcharger says: Jan 30, 2013 2:42 PM

justintuckrule says:Jan 30, 2013 2:16 PM

—————-

hahaha… As a Patriots fan that is exactly what I am worried about, but I would still love to see that game. That would be about the only way for the Patriots to shake the Giants demons. The Giants become the first team to play in a home Super Bowl and the Patriots beat them in a crazy snow game with the greatest cold weather QB of all time. If the Giants won, that would just be the worst thing ever in history. I don’t think I could watch, but it sure would be fun.

39. bullcharger says: Jan 30, 2013 2:43 PM

Jan 30, 2013 2:32 PM

————–

Without Reed and Lewis the Ravens will be 3rd in the division at best next year.

40. mpw2133 says: Jan 30, 2013 2:44 PM

ok lets get real to all you Raven fans. Your team finally gets over the hump and is back in the big game for the first time since 2000 right? Lets not get arrogant…. all this Patriot hate by the Ravens is funny to me. your team has been competitive for 5 yrs now, before that when? early 2000′s? The Patriots have proven to be a contender year in and year out. I am a fan of the game first and with that being said I wish the Ravens all the luck in the world and I hope you guys get another one for Ray and Mr Model. Just keep things in prospective your team has to have a track record. Yes we havent won a superbowl since 04, but thats still later than the Ravens. Please dont throw out Spy gate either because since 07 The patriots have had the best winning percentage in football. Have we been to the Superbowl since 07 Yes. Have we won NO, but only one team wins every year so hush.

41. nflfan4now says: Jan 30, 2013 2:46 PM

Can they franchise him (if they can sign Flacco)? That would serve him right.
    What a crock, him saying he’s love to play for another team days before the big game.
    Great leader!

42. descendency says: Jan 30, 2013 2:47 PM

rc33 says:
    Jan 30, 2013 2:09 PM

—————–

Bill Belichick tends not to distinguish between his safeties when he has two quality ones. So, Reed and McCourty can play both spots. McCourty isn’t limited to FS, either.

43. rushmatic says: Jan 30, 2013 2:48 PM

sammykbuck10 says:

Well if you’re Bill Belichick…if you can’t beat em, sign em.

______________

As a Pats fan, I laughed. But seriously, against the Ravens, the Pats are 6-3 since ’00, and 1-1 in AFCCG.

44. eflem80 says: Jan 30, 2013 2:51 PM

Boy stop! The only reason the D has been playing better was bc of Suggs coming back & getting better every game. Lewis was getting ran over before the injury & Reed has been missing tackles for years. Webb, Suggs, Ngata, Kruger & Pollard are the Ravens top 5 defensive players…easily. Bengles MIGHT be better & Steelers pretty much headed to rebuild mode….they’ll win the division easier than they did this year.

45. mdagnew1 says: Jan 30, 2013 2:52 PM

Another non-story. Ray Lewis said the same about the Cowboys and still resigned with the Ravens…

46. mdagnew1 says: Jan 30, 2013 2:57 PM

Hey Pats fans… How’d that work out with Adalius Thomas??? No one leaves the Ravens and plays the same…

47. castleofcheese says: Jan 30, 2013 2:57 PM

I guess I get why he would like to land there, but I’m not sure the week before the Super Bowl is is the best time to start talking about it.

48. jaggedmark says: Jan 30, 2013 2:58 PM

Reverse Tampering

49. azarkhan says: Jan 30, 2013 3:01 PM

I’m shocked, shocked! that Ed Reed wants to be a Patriot. Doesn’t he know they cheated???

50. thatswhatsgooood says: Jan 30, 2013 3:06 PM

What the hell are you doing right now Ed? Seriously though.

51. Nofoolnodrool says: Jan 30, 2013 3:06 PM

But….but Bill cheats. Who would want to play for a cheater

Hey he has been playing with Ray Ray and Bill doesn’t have any horns so the choice will be easy..

52. ryanrockzzz says: Jan 30, 2013 3:06 PM

Strange. He’s quoted saying he would paly for Bill, but def says nothing about he’d def. like to be a Patriot. I guess they are one in the same, but seems like a misleading headline on this story.

53. edelmanfanclub says: Jan 30, 2013 3:12 PM

Wouldn’t mind him here, but if you showed me his season stats and didn’t tell me if was Reed. Not sure if it’d want him, he’s in decline and injury prone. We need a leader in that secondary I’m not opposed to this signing.

54. stillers6 says: Jan 30, 2013 3:18 PM

Ed Reed spells leverage P-A-T-R-I-O-T-S

55. keepingitrealdumb says: Jan 30, 2013 3:33 PM

it is well known .. or should be well known .. that ER and BB have tremendous mutual respect for each other. BB considers ER one of the best DBs and ER considers BB one of the best HCs

56. 88ibis says: Jan 30, 2013 3:39 PM

He likes the way BB wears his sweatshirts? Well, I guess that’s as good a criteria as any for picking your next employer.

57. polo550 says: Jan 30, 2013 3:47 PM

Bye. Thank you for your service. Patriot fans all giddy about getting a 35 yr old FS. We’ve gotten 11 Hall of Fame years out of the guy. You guys can have the rest. Lol. We will draft his replacement and keep it moving. Remember the last Raven that you was so glad to have, Adaleus Thomas. How’d that work out for you?

58. rcali says: Jan 30, 2013 3:53 PM

This would have been a great move by the Patsies 5 years ago.

59. wrenches2pipes says: Jan 30, 2013 4:09 PM

Sign Reed. Get rid of Mcourty. He can’t play NFL backfield. Scary bad when he tries to cover anyone.

60. polo550 says: Jan 30, 2013 4:12 PM

_________________________________________

First off know what you’re talking about before you speak. The Ravens have only been existence since 1996. So, that’s what 16 years? Out of those 16 years they’ve had 6 losing seasons and 3 came during their first 3 years of existence. During the 2000s they’ve had 3 losing seasons and never back to back. They’ve won a SB, been to the playoffs 9 times, been to the AFC Championship game 2 other times, playing in this years SB all since 2000. Not to mention they’ve been in the playoffs 5 years in a row and one season they went 9-7 and just missed out. So, your quote about the Ravens just getting good is false. They’ve been just as consistent as the Patriots minus 2 SB victories and come Sunday that number may be 1.

61. bmorelikeme says: Jan 30, 2013 4:13 PM

Dumb question by a Boston area reporter. Reed gave the obligatory, “Yeah, I respect BB and could play for him”…non story.

62. chawk12thman says: Jan 30, 2013 4:16 PM

He wants to expand as a player and a “coach”. Interesting. Best move he can make, even as he would be able to transition to coaching under Bill, which seems to be the goal.

63. fricktacular says: Jan 30, 2013 4:52 PM

As a Steelers fan, I can’t say I want the Ravens to win the SB. However, I have mad respect for Ed Reed so I wouldn’t be be upset to see him get what he deserves.

64. justintuckrule says: Jan 30, 2013 5:32 PM

@bullcharger – it’s happening and it will be the greatest game that the world has ever seen regardless of who wins.

65. judalation says: Jan 30, 2013 5:33 PM

Can things get ANY WORSE for Jets fans this Offseason?

66. bobonmycob says: Jan 30, 2013 5:33 PM

bosfaninva says:Jan 30, 2013 2:01 PM

I’d love to see Reed end his career earning an SB ring as a Patriot.

LOL… so every year the Patriots automatically win the SB in your book? Goodluck with that

67. rayswhitesuit says: Jan 30, 2013 5:39 PM

Ed’s not stupid. After the anomaly of this season (who had the Ravens heading to the SB?) he sees a Ray Lewis-influence-less future with Flacco as the franchise QB. Who wouldn’t want to leave? Rice’ll be next.

68. all4patriots says: Jan 30, 2013 5:41 PM

Some players think about going to Disney World after the Super Bowl.

Others want to go to Foxoboro!

69. dyhrdpatsfan says: Jan 30, 2013 5:42 PM

Check!

70. ahostiletakeover says: Jan 30, 2013 5:45 PM

As one of my favorites of all time, I’ve been following Ed’s career since his first days at Miami, fresh off of some Lousiana high school javelin records (that’s right javelin) and I can tell you Patriots fans who think he will sign for peanuts to play for Belichick, its not happening. The guy was mad during training camp because Eric Weddle had just signed a new contract that paid him more than the 7.5 million in base salary that Ed is making this year (and Weddle deserved it btw, very solid safety). If he is willing to take a discount to keep playing, then there is no way he leaves Baltimore. But if Kraft or Irsay are ready to open the wallet, I could definitely see him as a Patriot or Colt next year.

71. ballinmore says: Jan 30, 2013 5:53 PM

Ed already stated he wants a pay increase from his $8 million he pocketed this year. I’d say you’re dreaming Pats fans. He either retires, stays in Baltimore or ends up with a team who has a ton of cap room and doesn’t mind handing out 25 million over 3 years to a guy his age.

Hate to see him leave Baltimore but calling him 25% of the player he was would be a compliment.

72. johnclaytonsponytail says: Jan 30, 2013 6:23 PM

I’d rather see him come home and play in NOLA.

73. valid1 says: Jan 30, 2013 6:27 PM

I love Reed but if he wants more then 3 mil a year he’s gone. My only hope if it leaves is that he gouges some poor team for a ton of money.

74. cjhampto89 says: Jan 30, 2013 6:32 PM

allow me to be the odd man in the room. Saints signed darren sharper at the end of his career and went to the superbowl why not get in the market for ed? couldn’t hurt I mean we need the secondary help. Come play for the home team ed before its all said and done!!!!

75. CKL says: Jan 30, 2013 6:33 PM

robertocfg says: Jan 30, 2013 2:10 PM

_______________________________
    He had a prety big mancrush on Chad Johnson too. That worked out well.
    /sarcasm

As a Pats fan, it’s nice to hear Reed say this but I would be mad if a player on my team said this right before a SB they were playing in. If Reed wants to come over as a DB coach, I won’t be mad though.

76. TheWizard says: Jan 30, 2013 6:42 PM

If he has enough left in the tank to help the Pats, the Ravens would be foolish to let him go.

77. dowhatifeellike says: Jan 30, 2013 6:48 PM

Anyone who knows Ed’s personality knows he was blowing smoke. Downright mocking him with the sleeves thing. He’s not going anywhere.

78. goodellisruiningtheleague says: Jan 30, 2013 7:13 PM

Ravens are gonna have a tough time paying Ellerbee, Flacco, Reed and Kruger the money they want this off season

79. steve1iron says: Jan 30, 2013 7:45 PM

Welcome to New England Ed! We’ll be thrilled to have you in Foxboro.

80. steve1iron says: Jan 30, 2013 7:48 PM

Sign Ed Reed and draft Matt Elam. Now that’s a safety duo that will make Pats fans happy. Taliban! Dennard and McCourty will round out a strong secondary.

81. armchairqb says: Jan 30, 2013 7:51 PM

Sure sounds like he’s focused on the big game …

82. brownsalwaysrebuilding says: Jan 30, 2013 8:14 PM

Who would kick him if he played for the Patriots?

83. estuart81 says: Jan 30, 2013 8:57 PM

Pats fans really don’t realize how much trouble their team is really in. You have Welker, Talib, Vollmer, Chung, Edelman and Woodhead all FAs. Welker will cost 12 million to franchise. Talib will get a big deal elsewhere. Vollmer is a top 5 FA Oline and will cost alot to keep.

Alot more issues than Pats fines like to believe

84. sportsfan240 says: Jan 30, 2013 10:16 PM

So this is what it’s like being a Raven… even when your days away from the Super Bowl, you wish you were on any team other than the Ravens

85. lennylyles says: Jan 30, 2013 10:36 PM

Ed doesn’t tackle anymore, bites on all pump fakes and had below average 2011-12 seasons. 35 years old a step slower with several lingering injuries, the Ravens would be foolish to sign him again. Move on and get younger Ravens.

86. vincentbojackson says: Jan 31, 2013 10:35 AM

It’s fairly evident that Ed wants more money than the Ravens are able to give him. Especially with Flacco’s agent announcing he’s looking for “Drew Brees money”.

Odd, that Ed and Flacco’s rep are talking about this now.

87. stuffyrumble says: Jan 31, 2013 12:07 PM

ok guys and gals, listen up. i have been a hardcore ravens fan for a while now. the first year i ever watched a game, we won the Super Bowl. i didn’t realize then what a big deal it was. people around town were calling the playoffs ‘festivus’. ever since, ive grown more and more attached, to the point where i take football way too seriously, as most of you probably do. i can speak for a good chunk of ravens faithful when i say, Ed Reed can do no wrong. We forgive him for holding the ball like a loaf of bread, we forgive him for tackling air occasionally, because he has been such a beast. his heroics won a few close games, in the most exciting fashion possible. so many int tds. so many big hits. game changing plays, year in and year out. i love Ed, and i will hang his poster for as long as it stays on my wall. If he goes to NE, I will root for him there as well, just as i rooted for adaleus thomas when he got picked up by NE. And, Ed was most likely asked about this by a reporter, its not like he was just saying it for the hell of it. doesnt change one thing about his legacy in baltimore, and i can assure you, he will bring his “A” game to his first ever SB.

88. verbalconcussion says: Jan 31, 2013 4:16 PM

Man, that would make me so happy. Please happen, I’ve been a good boy this year Santa.

89. bikelikemike says: Jan 31, 2013 4:51 PM

estuart81 says: Jan 30, 2013 8:57 PM
    ————————————————-
    And BTW, I still think Jeremy Ebert may be the next Wes Welker. Go watch his youtube vids from college.

90. fsf7 says: Feb 3, 2013 10:02 PM

Ed Reed finishing up as a Patriot, or in any other uniform, just would absolutely suck. This is coming from a Steelers fan.

I have not liked Ray Lewis and Ed Reed, but I have respected them being the counterparts to Hines Ward and Troy Polamalu as to what they have meant to this generation of Ravens/Steelers fans.

I just don’t think Reed will be in a Patriots uniform next year regardless. If he leaves Baltimore, it will be for the money – and no team is less likely to shell out a larger contract for an aging player – future Hall of Famer or not. Just see what they have done with Richard Seymour, Ty Law, Willie McGinest, Asante Samuel and most recently Wes Welker.

The Patriots aren’t going to pay Ed Reed and I am stunned that the usually very savvy Peter King would suggest it.