“Humble” Moss repeats his claim that he’s the best ever

350x Getty Images

On Tuesday, an ordinarily media-shy Randy Moss made a bold proclamation:  Moss said he’s the best receiver to ever play football.

On Wednesday, Moss reiterated the claim.

“Everybody is going to have their opinion,” Moss said, via Matt Maiocco of CSNBayArea.com. “I do not live on numbers.  I really do not.  If you sit here and just said, ‘Who is the greatest running back?’  Statistically it is Emmitt Smith.  People would say Barry Sanders, Gale Sayers or Jim Brown. [But] their numbers do not match Emmitt Smith.”

Basically, then, Moss thinks that in the end it’s a subjective assessment.

“You make your own judgment,” Moss said.  “You really do.  I know what I think.  I am not going to sit up here and tell you how to look at it and how to judge it.  I think when it comes to going out there, making plays and helping the team do the things that they are able to do to win the game, I think I am the greatest receiver ever.  Point blank.  Next question.”

But he continued, pointing to the impact his comments made as proof of his claim.

“I think that it speaks of the impact that I have made on this NFL football league,” Moss said.  “If Joe Blow would have said it, I do not know if it would have been in USA Today.

“Since Randy Moss said it, it is front of the sports page.  Like I said, I just try to stay humble and do my job.  That is what I am able to do.  I am able to come out and try to say these things, but I do believe in my heart and my mind I am the greatest to ever do it.”

In our (or at least my) view, Moss could have been the greatest to ever do it, if he had given his all, all the time.  But it was Moss himself who said, “I play when I wanna play.”  All too often, he chose not to play, quitting on his team for a drive, a game, or (in 2006 with the Raiders) a whole season.

The only argument in his favor comes from the fact that Rice played with better quarterbacks.  Rarely if ever did Rice ever have to do anything that catch a ball that hit him in the numbers while running in stride.

Permalink 115 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, San Francisco 49ers, Top Stories
115 Responses to ““Humble” Moss repeats his claim that he’s the best ever”
  1. benroethlisberger7 says: Jan 30, 2013 3:56 PM

The most annoying thing on media day is the media.

2. mrplow3 says: Jan 30, 2013 3:58 PM

Culpepper in his prime wasn’t exactly chopped liver. In fact he still holds one of the top 5 QB seasons ever.

I’m also pretty sure Moss was out half that season Culpepper went off.

I’m also pretty sure Moss played with Tom Brady.

I’m also pretty sure Randal Cunningham was ridiculous in 98.

No Moss, is not the best ever.

But in his prime he was the most feared offensive weapon in history. I’ll give him that.

3. ducksouped says: Jan 30, 2013 3:58 PM

Randy Moss is not better than Jerry Rice. Everyone knows that. Numbers arent everything, true , but the numbers that ARE present, arent even close to backing up what hes claiming.

4. zoellner25 says: Jan 30, 2013 3:59 PM

Using the words “humble” and “greatest ever” are very Randy Moss of you.

5. lionsdraftguy says: Jan 30, 2013 3:59 PM

Id take Calvin over Moss.

6. radioactivechimp says: Jan 30, 2013 3:59 PM

I’m beginning to think that professional athletes have no idea what the word “humble” means.

A “humbling” experience is something like going undrafted or getting cut or having a bad game.

7. madman731 says: Jan 30, 2013 4:00 PM

Jerry Rice is the greatest WR of all time. He also had class, something Randy Moss clearly lacks. Plus Rice never quit on any team he ever played on.

8. questionableprovenance says: Jan 30, 2013 4:00 PM

If anything, the fact that Moss may indeed have been the most skilled at his position makes his relative lack of accomplishment all the sadder.

9. azcm2511 says: Jan 30, 2013 4:01 PM

Earth to Randy…….you ain’t even in the top 5!

10. plymouth11 says: Jan 30, 2013 4:02 PM

Moss won’t have the overall stat sheet or the accolades like Rice has with Superbowl rings, but Moss impacted and changed the game more than any wr in history. Who’s better? Well thats why we have nbc sports talk to discuss.

11. nineroutsider says: Jan 30, 2013 4:02 PM

It doesn’t really matter either way. I just hope he goes out there and puts up a Rice type performance…

I guess you know where I stand, but it doesn’t matter. Its all just filler until the big game. Too many reporters, egos, mics, and opportunities…this kind of stuff is said every year at this time.

12. mark0226 says: Jan 30, 2013 4:03 PM

====

And maybe that is his point. Look at what Moss did, even though he wasn’t even trying half the time. Imagine if he really tried, then he would have the stats too.

13. chawk12thman says: Jan 30, 2013 4:03 PM

I believe he believes what he is saying. Not sure he has to keep trying to convince everyone else. He belongs in the conversation, however.

14. kpow55 says: Jan 30, 2013 4:03 PM

As much as believe he’s 2nd fiddle to Rice and eventually CJ, he does have a point as far as talent vs. numbers.

If you put Barry Sanders on the 90′s Cowboys and Smith on the 90′s Lions….. Barry Sanders potentially would hold every rushing record ever while Smith would be remembered as a Barry Foster type… who? Exactly!

Same thing, put Megatron with Daunte (in his prime) opposite of C. Carter or put him with Brady and the WR of the day in NE and he would have even better numbers than Moss.

Joe Montana was great but I think Rice would’ve still had pretty good numbers in Tampa or Cleveland given that he would probably still play even when “he didn’t want to”

15. thejuddstir says: Jan 30, 2013 4:03 PM

This is a rare occasion that I 100% agree with Florio. I think Moss could’ve easily been the greatest WR ever had he given his all. I do think Moss was the most gifted WR ever and it is a very valid point that as great as Jerry Rice was, he did get to play with 2 HOF QB’s in Montana and Young whereas Moss did have Brady for like 3 years and otherwise a career of backup type QB’s. (and plz don’t mention Dante Culpepper, Moss and Carter made Culpepper not the other way around)

16. kh221 says: Jan 30, 2013 4:04 PM

Jerry Rice gave 100% effort at all times and ended with eye popping stats. Randy Moss gave less than 50% at times and came up very close.

Moss had all the tools to be the greatest, but isn’t and has only himself to blame.

17. goodolebaghead says: Jan 30, 2013 4:05 PM

One of the things that makes a receiver the ‘greatest’ is consistent output of effort. Randy have been the greatest receiver of all time. Could have been.

18. buddysguys says: Jan 30, 2013 4:05 PM

again Steve Largent should have something to say here. You give him Brady, Montana or Young who knows what he would have done.

19. 13forgbp says: Jan 30, 2013 4:06 PM

What a clown. If you have to say your are the best….you are not the best. If you were the best people would be saying it about you.

Moss was great. Still…Rice was better and personally I would rather have Megatron.

20. stigman2012 says: Jan 30, 2013 4:07 PM

Randy’s just mad Ray’s getting all the press and Ed’s sopping up the leftovers. This too shall pass.

21. unfkwthabl says: Jan 30, 2013 4:08 PM

Maybe im not old enough to really remeber rice’s impact (32).

But I do know Moss came in as a rookie and changed EVERYTHING.

All of a sudden people wanted big tall receivers.

They forgot the part that those big tall guys needed to run 4.3s.

Moss might not have Jerry numbers… but Moss didn’t haven Joe Montana, Steve Young and a MVP Gannon throwing to him as well.

And when he DID have a great qb he broke the all time TD season record.

Moss is out of this world.. he has a weird attitude sometimes… but he is the GOAT.

22. zygizag says: Jan 30, 2013 4:08 PM

Do not know if I have EVER said this.

FLorio YOU NAILED IT. Of course anyone who has followed the carreer of Moss and cares a lot about effort, or compares him to other people of effort like Walter P.

23. patriotsdefense says: Jan 30, 2013 4:10 PM

Jerry Rice played most of his career with Joe Montana and Steve Young. 2 Hall of Fame QBs who both won a pair of MVPs. Rice also got another MVP year from a QB in 2002 from Rich Gannon. In 5 of the seasons Rice played the league MVP was throwing him the ball.

Randy Moss had to wait until he was 30 years old until he finally had a QB in that same class. In 50 games with the Patriots Moss had 50 TDs, all while over the age of 30.

24. ttommytom says: Jan 30, 2013 4:12 PM

Everyone is saying the same thing:

Moss is the most TALENTED to ever play but he didn’t achieve what he could have.

Al Toon might have had more ‘talent’ than Rice but careers are not made on talent alone…

25. bobhk says: Jan 30, 2013 4:15 PM

lionsdraftguy says:
    Jan 30, 2013 3:59 PM
    Id take Calvin over Moss.

——-
    Of course you would. You are a lions homer. You’d probably take Stafford over Montana too.

26. skinsrollyou says: Jan 30, 2013 4:16 PM

Love this guy. Most entertaining wr of all time.

27. malkinrulez says: Jan 30, 2013 4:16 PM

I believe if moss had trained like rice he had the talent to be the best ever but as we all know he didn’t and wouldn’t and than bragged about it. He was fun to watch when he came to play

28. lionsdraftguy says: Jan 30, 2013 4:22 PM

I take everything a FortyNiner player says and laugh at it.

29. dowhatifeellike says: Jan 30, 2013 4:23 PM

Jerry Rice used to start his offseason training days with 10-mile runs.

I don’t believe Moss has every run 10 miles in one day in his entire life.

Randy had size and skill in his favor, but no WR ever worked harder than Jerry Rice.

30. steelerben says: Jan 30, 2013 4:26 PM

Give me Rice if it is for a season, give me Moss if it is for a game, I’ll take Art Monk if it is for a career.

31. skinsfan28 says: Jan 30, 2013 4:27 PM

It comes down to Moss looks like an jackass for tooting his own horn, when his stats and effort don’t match his god-given talent. Had he given his all on every play he would have been up there or beyond Rice’s stats. He was a freak when he first came into the league!

He does actually makes a great point when he talks about “who’s the greatest RB of all time?” People still say Payton, Brown or Sanders were the best RB ever, even though Emmitt holds the most rushing yards. However he took off too many plays to back-up his point.

32. bullcharger says: Jan 30, 2013 4:30 PM

Rice has him beat in every way possible. You don’t have to argue stats (Rice has every other received killed in that area). Rice also won more Super Bowls, which shows his impact. Rice could run more routes than Randy and was tougher in the middle. The intangables are a landslide victory for Rice. It’s not close.

33. marvsleezy says: Jan 30, 2013 4:32 PM

Even if they are similar, Rices intangibles are off the chart and Randys are off the charts bad – hes a team killer.

34. wrenches2pipes says: Jan 30, 2013 4:34 PM

When Moss wanted to, he was the best.

35. pacific123ocean says: Jan 30, 2013 4:35 PM

YES! Randy is the best ever!

36. tharoostah says: Jan 30, 2013 4:36 PM

T.O was better.

37. first2five says: Jan 30, 2013 4:38 PM

unfkwthabl says:
    Jan 30, 2013 4:08 PM

And when he DID have a great qb he broke the all time TD season record.

————————————————

And do you know how many games it took Jerry to record 22 TDs? I’ll help you out. 12 games. Strike year.

Jerry Rice = G.O.A.T.

Look it up in the dictionary. It’s there.

Next Question

38. aldavisisthenfl says: Jan 30, 2013 4:42 PM

As a Raider fan his comments make me throw up into my mouth………I’ll leave it at that…

39. solomon151 says: Jan 30, 2013 4:44 PM

Moss said something that struck a cord with me. I’ve had this same debate about who was the best runningback. It’s funny how some people stick to the numbers when it comes to some players and don’t with others. If Rice is the greatest WR, then that means Emmitt is the greatest RB of all time.

40. 11gixsix says: Jan 30, 2013 4:45 PM

As a Vikings fan I can say this. Besides AD there may not have been a more exciting player in the NFL over the last 15 years. Ill also say this. Over the entire NFL existence there probably has not been a more selfish player then Moss. Okay maybe T.O. I do not want him to get his ring. I would much rather see a class act in Matt Birk get his ring. They came into the league together in 98 and now face each other in the Super Bowl.

41. solomon151 says: Jan 30, 2013 4:47 PM

first2five says:
    Jan 30, 2013 4:38 PM
    unfkwthabl says:
    Jan 30, 2013 4:08 PM

And when he DID have a great qb he broke the all time TD season record.

————————————————

Jerry Rice = G.O.A.T.

Look it up in the dictionary. It’s there.

Next Question
    ———————————————————————————-
    Dude, it was a strike year!!! He played against scabs that year. Not saying Rice isn’t great, but damn, bringing up a scab year is crazy

42. azarkhan says: Jan 30, 2013 4:50 PM

“I wouldn’t base (being the greatest) off (stats) because if I had two Hall of Fame quarterbacks, where would my numbers be?” Moss said. “I worked with one for a few years, and that’s Tom Brady. Give me Tom Brady for the next five, six years, and you’ll see where my numbers would be….”

Moss has a point. It’s not like he had Joe Montana and Steve Young throwing to him his entire career. Plus he only had Brady for two years; in 2008 Brady only played part of the first game and in 2010 Moss was traded early in the season.

43. yourignorancespreads says: Jan 30, 2013 4:51 PM

Yeah I know moss is the greatest that’s why he never blocked ever. He would give up on routes. He acted like a little baby when he was traded. Quit on a team. Acts like the most ignorant person ever in NFL. Never won a Super Bowl. Should I keep going. You know what this guy is not even worth me bashing. He does a good job bashing himself. What a joke

44. newlydead says: Jan 30, 2013 4:51 PM

the fact that people feel the need to defend Rice gives credence to Moss and his claim at being the greatest ever. if Michael Clayton came out making the same claim would anyone care?

45. weenforever says: Jan 30, 2013 4:52 PM

Nice try, he’s not even the best to wear a 49er uniform.

46. zygizag says: Jan 30, 2013 4:58 PM

15 Catches for 210 yards and 4 TD’s and no drops in the Superbowl, (not likely) then maybe you can begin brag about being great.

4 catches, for 55 yards and 2 drops and 3 ho hum not run routes (likely).

Ross is to humility what Lance Armstrong is to an honest clean race.

47. Raider-in-PA says: Jan 30, 2013 4:59 PM

The impact he made in Oakland equals the effort he put forth… ZERO!!

Get over yourself Moss… When the greatest WRs of all time are discussed, I dont think you are even mentioned…

48. djvh2 says: Jan 30, 2013 4:59 PM

Don Hutson changed the game more than any other receiver in history. Look it up. From 1936 through 1945 – 10 years, each year he finished 1st or 2nd in rec, yards, and TDs. He finished 1st in 23 of those stats, and 2nd seven times. From 1941 through 1944 he was 1st in all 3 stats each year. Green Bay won 3 championships during that time. Best ever when compared to his peers is Don Hutson.

49. jc327 says: Jan 30, 2013 5:04 PM

“Moss impacted and changed the game more than any wr in history. ”

A whole stat category was actually invented because of one particular receiver.

That receiver’s name is Jerry Rice.

50. jc327 says: Jan 30, 2013 5:05 PM

YAC (Yards After Catch), that is.

51. judsonjr says: Jan 30, 2013 5:08 PM

Randy Moss from age 33 to 35:
    56 catches, 688 yards, 13 TD

Jerry Rice from age 39 to 41:
    238 catches, 3219 yards, 18 TD

If Randy can put up a decent season 5 years from now we can talk.

As for: “If I had two Hall of Fame quarterbacks, where would my numbers be?” Well Randy, you may be the only starting WR ever to get cut by 2 teams with HOF QBs in the same season.

52. dannythebisforbeast says: Jan 30, 2013 5:11 PM

The greatest of all time in any sport would never have quit on a team..EVER. End of story.

What he should have said was ” with all my natural ability I could have been the greatest of all time, but that’s too much work, I just lived off what I was born with”

53. skittlesareyum says: Jan 30, 2013 5:12 PM

solomon151 says:
    Jan 30, 2013 4:44 PM

—————-

If you don’t care about yards/carry, then sure.

54. phillyphannn83 says: Jan 30, 2013 5:21 PM

” Still, even with lesser quarterbacks, Moss could have been the better player — if he had approached his profession with the same professionalism as Rice.”

Tells the entire story.

55. mossnvick says: Jan 30, 2013 5:22 PM

moss was amazing and so was jerry having watched both of them play since their college days and rookie season randy has drawn more double and triple teams through out his career and changed the way defensive coordinators approached the game
    some people do not like arrogant athletes and randy comes across as one he did change the game more than jerry but jerry is great

56. vaphinfan says: Jan 30, 2013 5:22 PM

You can’t compare. The wrs back in the 80s and before you don’t know how good they were because they didn’t run the same types of offense and not everyone was pass happy. Plus Moss did play when you can’t touch a wr after five yards, those wrs before him got bumped off their route until the ball was in the air.

57. pillowporkers says: Jan 30, 2013 5:27 PM

I 100% agree with Randy Moss on this. It’s an opinion question. Stats play a part, but there are other factors that lead to people saying the guy with the most yards is not necessarily the best ever. Certainly from a game changing and entertainment aspect, my opinion is that he was. He was the most fun WR to ever watch. Literally every single offside you knew it was Randy Moss deep. I bet John Madden would agree he’s the best ever too.

58. first2five says: Jan 30, 2013 5:28 PM

solomon151 says:
    Jan 30, 2013 4:47 PM

——————————————-

Jerry Rice never crossed the picket line, therfore never played agains scabs!!! Dude.

12 games. 22 TDs

59. theytukrjobs says: Jan 30, 2013 5:28 PM

It depends on how you define the greatest ever. If you go by career overall stats, then it is Rice. If you go by per game averages and things like that then they are pretty close. But if you go as who was the more potent player in their prime then I go Moss all the way.

I really believe that Moss drew more coverages and more double/triple teams than Rice ever did. And I believe that Rice had vastly better QB’s throwing him the ball. I mean, it isn’t close in terms of which WR had the better situation.

Rice played his first 16 seasons with hall of fame QB’s exclusively throwing him the ball. That is freaking insane and really biases the debate. That is like if Moss had Tom Brady and then Peyton Manning back to back for his whole career. I can’t imagine what that would have been like. 20+ TD’s per season most likely.

If you had to pick one as “best ever” then sure it is Rice. He has the numbers and that is the only pure argument. But I really truly believe that if both guys were on the same team in their primes that Moss would be the #1 and draw more coverages, for what that is worth. And when you look at RB nobody thinks Emmitt Smith is the greatest ever. Nobody. That is despite the fact that Emmitt has nearly untouchable career marks, much like Rice.

Longevity mixed with a perfect situation shouldn’t automatically make you the pick over guys who played shorter careers in bad situations.

Rice was never tripled like Moss.

60. raiderlyfe510 says: Jan 30, 2013 5:31 PM

I think Moss is an all time great, but not on Rice’s level. Even if he had a strong work ethic throughout his career he’s not seeing Rice.

Rice had an elite RB’s instinct when he had the ball in his hand. He’ll catch a little 5-7 yard slant and that functional football speed would kick in and his vision was unreal he’ll split through defenses and take it straight to house.Thats innate talent.

In terms of being a vertical threat he didnt have to “Moss” anyone and catch balls with a DB draped over him, because he’ll run a sick, precise route that’ll juke a DB Out his shoes and be 20 yards open downfield.if he needed to “Moss” someone he can do it. The TD pass where he broke Jim Brown’s TD record he caught over 2-3 DBs. The ability to “Moss” DBs was rarely displayed because he set up DBs with routes so sick he would be wide open downfield.

He averaged over 150 yards receiving in his 3 Superbowl wins with 3 Td passes in two of those Bowls.

I like Moss and Rice, both are incredible WRs, but I’ll tell you this. If Moss is the greatest WR of all time let him prove it Sunday.

The greatest WRs I’ve seen were Jerry Rice and Michael Irvin. This would be Moss’ 2nd Superbowl. If he walks away empty handed he doesn’t enter the conversation of the greatest. He’ll probably go down as the most dangerous WR though.

61. 4512dawg4512 says: Jan 30, 2013 5:33 PM

You’re not even better than Terrell Owens you quitter, so can it!

62. sf69ers says: Jan 30, 2013 5:34 PM

Well Randy, Rice and Smith have the best numbers because they showed up to play football every Sunday of their brillant careers. Just because you are physically more gifted than Jerry, does not mean you are better. Yeah Rice had two HOF QBs, but two HOF QB’s also had Rice who took a 5 yard slant to the house. Even as a 49ers fan, please let Larry Fitzgerald play with a real QB again so he will have a chance to break some records!

63. devildog911 says: Jan 30, 2013 5:41 PM

Thumbs up for Jerry Rice.

Thumbs down for Randy Moss.

64. pillowporkers says: Jan 30, 2013 5:41 PM

The thing I respect the most about this is he didn’t apologize or back down from his previous comments like everyone else does these days. I’m glad he was a man and stood by what he thinks. He has every right to think he’s the best ever.

65. flavordave says: Jan 30, 2013 5:42 PM

Moss is top 5 No doubt. Those who watched him early on, and Im not even talking 2007, he was an unstoppable triple teamed beast. And he always made it look easy.

Now Rice is the greatest and he played before all the defensive restrictions came into play. Guys would mug him for the ball.

66. 1phd says: Jan 30, 2013 5:45 PM

I have no problem with someone thinking they are the best that’s ever done something. He’s not saying other people have to accept his opinion. And actually I don’t, but good for him believing in himself.

67. frosted21 says: Jan 30, 2013 5:47 PM

To this day, I still can’t understand the “play when I want to play” deal. Sid Hartman of the Minneapolis Star Tribune was the one who printed the quote – as Sid told it, he asked Moss how he motivates himself to get up for big games (Moss has a history of dominating primetime, MNF, etc.) – Sid asked whether Cris Carter as a veteran leader was helpful in that regard, or whether it was the big stage or the bright lights – Moss answered that there was no outside force, no one person that “got him up for games of that nature” – he motivated himself – the bright lights, the big stage – Moss stated he didn’t need it, because he is able play when he wants to play, he can get himself up for games.

I suppose I just read the story and missed the point? I just didn’t see it nearly as controversial as everyone else. A poor choice of words, maybe, but I didn’t take away “I only play when I feel like it, I’m lazy, I don’t work hard in the offseason, etc.”. I just thought he was alluding to the fact that he is a self motivated man and it doesn’t take anything externally for him to produce like he does.

68. numberoneinthehoodg says: Jan 30, 2013 5:51 PM

Which reciever would you rather watch? That’s all the NFL is about isn’t it? Straight cash homie!

69. stevincinci says: Jan 30, 2013 5:54 PM

Chad Johnson thinks he was the best receiver that ever played. He just didn’t say so at media day last year. Keep your opinions to yourself, Randy. No body cares that YOU think your the best ever.

70. hedleykow says: Jan 30, 2013 5:55 PM

Randy rates himself pretty high on the scale for food catering critics, too. Ha ha.

71. JaminJake says: Jan 30, 2013 5:59 PM

Jerry Rice is amazing. No one can deny that. However, Moss is another beast. The most talented WR to ever play the game. Very rarely do you have someone with top tier talent have a matching work ethic. I’d say Calvin Johnson is sort of a blend between the two. A better team mate than Moss, but not as much pure talent.

Everyone wonders about what Moss could have done with the 49ers in Rice’s place, I doubt as many wonder what Rice would have done on Moss’ teams.

72. bobhk says: Jan 30, 2013 6:00 PM

theytukrjobs says:
    Jan 30, 2013 5:28 PM

Rice was never tripled like Moss.
    ————–
    Did you watch every snap? I’ve seen him play and he dictated how the D played.
    Rice also played at a time when DBs could actually make contact with receivers. Not like Moss.
    Rice is in conversation for the greatest player in NFL history, let alone greatest WR. Get out with Moss (even though he’s great).

73. mnvikes7897 says: Jan 30, 2013 6:05 PM

Think about Moss with Brady his whole career. The best ever. Period.

74. dukemarc says: Jan 30, 2013 6:08 PM

All this talk about the QBs Rice had….how about the WRs Moss played with during his best seasons – potential HOFer in Chris Carter and one of the best slot WRs in the game over the past decade in Wes Welker.

Maybe part of the reason he quit in Oakland and Minny(the second time around) was he would have had to actually work at his craft.

75. dabears2485 says: Jan 30, 2013 6:14 PM

“Humble” and “Moss” (in reference to Randy) don’t belong in the same sentence.

Just ask the local caterers that he insulted on his way out of Minnesota the 2nd time.

76. bobhk says: Jan 30, 2013 6:18 PM

@mnvikes7897, pay attention to what @dukemarc says above. Fact is that when he played with Brady he did not get the job done (winning the Super Bowl).

77. RedRuffensor says: Jan 30, 2013 6:23 PM

If Randy Moss and Jerry Rice just finished their college careers and were eligible for the draft, and if you were the GM whose team desperately needed a great WR, then, having full knowledge of their abilities, who would you select?

Thumbs up for Moss, thumbs down to Rice.

78. dmface says: Jan 30, 2013 6:29 PM

I am curious as to what impact did Moss have on the game that no other great player had? Can someone give me an example? Help me understand. Did his play making ability change another teams complete game plan? Did it impose fear on the other opponent? Think about the answers that you provide. Now are you saying other teams/players did not feel the same way about Jerry Rice, Reggie Wayne, Marvin Harrison, Tim Brown, TO ect.. In my opinion this would be worthy impact if this would have happend: “Bears cancel NFL football game because they feared they could not stop Randy Moss”. Now if he had that kinda impact I would say Randy Moss is the greatest receiver to ever play the game because of the impact he had on the game. Other than that, he is just another player on the field that a team plans around just like you would a good running back or QB.

79. trollaikman8 says: Jan 30, 2013 6:30 PM

If he had the work ethic and love for the game that Rice (or Irvin, Steve Smith, Ward….hell, even T.O.) …then he’d have a chance to be top 3 all time.

That said, just on talent, influence and highlights alone he’s probably top 10 imho.

80. zenrooster says: Jan 30, 2013 6:30 PM

By the time Megatron is done with his career, people will forget about you Randy! #eathumblepie

81. adenaguy says: Jan 30, 2013 6:31 PM

Pretty simple boys. I watched both players from
    beginning to end on their careers. Nobody changed defenses like Randy Moss. Never saw a team ever game plan for Jerry Rice, he played in a system with 2 HOF quarterbacks almost throughout his entire career. West Coast offense, 2 yard slants. He was good at hitting the open spot. But as a receiver down the field there is nothing to talk about. Randy Moss with his hands, adjustment to the ball, speed and downright primetime ability…blows them all away. Yeah maybe the stats don’t compare. But think about it. When that ball was thrown way down the field…you always thought Rice may catch it, but you knew Randy Moss would. Best ever period.

82. johnjb2315 says: Jan 30, 2013 6:39 PM

@azcm1511, if u don’t think MOSS is in th e top 5 u have know idea what your talking about

83. seansds3d says: Jan 30, 2013 6:42 PM

The best players don’t claim to be the best… it’s called class and being humble even if you can back it up which Moss can’t. Moss disqualified himself as being the best the moment he publicly claimed to be the best. Jerry Rice said it best when he said he’ll let the fans decide who the best was. That’s class which in my mind makes you one of the best.

84. Frazier28/7 says: Jan 30, 2013 6:42 PM

1. Cris Carter
    2. Randy Moss
    3. Anthony Carter
    4. John Gilliam
    5. Ahmad Rashad
    6. Sammy White
    7. Steve Jordan (TE)

Point being, he’s not even the greatest Viking WR of all time… he was the most exciting and entertaining on and off the field though

85. decon49 says: Jan 30, 2013 6:45 PM

lionsdraftguy says: Jan 30, 2013 4:22 PM

I take everything a FortyNiner player says and laugh at it.

is that because you cry at anything the lions do as a pitiful organization?

cj will be a modern day barry sanders but at wr, all the talent in the world but would rather retire in his prime rather than stay on a sinking ship

86. jc327 says: Jan 30, 2013 6:47 PM

I am wondering if some of the commentors actually ever saw Rice play, because I did, and some things that are being said just aren’t accurate.

Rice and Moss played different styles. Both dictated what defenses did. Both did things that made you scratch your head. Both left their mark on the game.

Rice left a bigger mark, for my money, and I watched both of them.

87. mdpgc says: Jan 30, 2013 7:13 PM

I would say that Moss is Best Receiver Ever and Barry Sander the Best Running Back Ever!

If we are looking at it from a numbers standpoint, Rice and Emmitt, since he was mentioned, have the better numbers. True enough. But Moss and Sanders played on subpar teams, opposed to Rice and Emmitt. Rice had the better QBs (Montana and Young , both HOFers) and Moss had the lesser QBs (except when he played in NE), and Moss changed how defenses play and cover receivers. We all saw what he could do when he had a QB (Brady). In the 2007 season with NE, Moss had 98catches, 1,493yards, 15.2 YPC Average, & 23TDs

Barry Sanders had a lesser O-Line than Emmitt. Emmitt has big holes to run through and Sanders while he had some holes to run through, created alot of his runs (yards) based on his athleticism. Realistically, if he didn’t retire after 10 seasons and played the next season and say another 2-3 years after that season. He was just 1,458 yards from the all-time rushing record at the start of his 11th season. And if you’ve seen him play, he was going to get that in his sleep!

In 1994, Sanders rushed for 1,883 yards, on a 5.7 yards per carry average. He also totaled 283 receiving yards, which gave him a combined 2,166 yards from scrimmage for the season. He was named the NFL’s Offensive Player of the Year. In 1995, Sanders posted 1,500 yards rushing with 398 receiving yards, beating his rushing total alone of the ’94 season. In 1996, Sanders rushed for 1,553 yards with a career-low 147 receiving yards.

Sanders’ greatest season came in 1997 when he became a member of the 2000 rushing yards club. After a start in which he gained 53 yards on 25 carries in the first two games of the season, Sanders ran for an NFL record 14 consecutive 100 yard games, including two 200 yard performances, en route to rushing for 2,053 yards. In reaching the 2,000 yard plateau, he became only the third player to do so in a single season and the first since O. J. Simpson to rush for 2,000 yards in a span of 14 consecutive games. He was the first running back to rush for 1,500 yards in five seasons and the only one to do it four consecutive years. In Sanders’ last season in the NFL, 1998, he rushed for 1,491 yards, ending his four-year streak of rushing for over 1,500 yards in a season.

88. dmface says: Jan 30, 2013 7:21 PM

This is my second post, please let this one stay, you can delete the first one. But this will end the debate. I did research and decided to take the first ten years of both players careers. Here are the number:
    Rice – 13275 Yards, 131 TDS, 820 Receptions
    Moss – 12195 Yards, 124 TDS, 850 Receptions

Rice has led the leauge in reception yardage 5 times during that time frame (first ten years). Moss has NEVER led the league in passing yards. Rice has led the league in TD receptions 6 times in that time frame (first ten years). Moss has done so 4 times.

So I do not want to hear about the QBs throwing the ball to anyone. Thats like saying Montana and Young were HOFers because of Rice. Rice has had a much bigger impact on the NFL than Moss. If you think for a second teams did not game plan around Rice you have to be smoking. Rice was the best offensive player on the team. It’s not his fault he could catch and run. Thats like saying teams did not game plan around Sanders or Smith. The fact is Rice could catch the ball and score and was not one dimensional. He could go short or deep. If all Moss could do was catch deep balls, that is his fault. I would take Rice over Moss any day everytime.

89. contraisloosebuthole says: Jan 30, 2013 7:30 PM

The headline should read: “could have been best ever”

90. thefiesty1 says: Jan 30, 2013 7:33 PM

It doesn’t matter how good HE thinks he is/was. Everybody else knows better.

91. ehsguy72 says: Jan 30, 2013 7:56 PM

“Rarely if ever did Rice ever have to do anything that catch a ball that hit him in the numbers while running in stride.”

Of the many absolutely ridiculous things written on this site, this one ranks right up there. Really??? The Niner QB’s were great, no doubt, but not perfect. Jerry made tons of circus catches and scored quite a few running TD’s as well. He was the one who pioneered diving at the pylon. To say he caught everything “in stride” is dumb.

92. hadjiali says: Jan 30, 2013 8:09 PM

“Moss impacted and changed the game more than any wr in history”

Nope. That would be Bob Hayes. You can look it up. The zone defense and the bump and run were invented to stop him.

Moss was a spectacular talent and somebody that was just flat out more entertaining to watch than Jerry Rice, even though Rice was probably ‘better.’

93. bertbreer says: Jan 30, 2013 8:12 PM

He was the best ever. After Jerry Rice, that is.

94. jagsfanugh says: Jan 30, 2013 8:23 PM

The best ever? I always thought the best is not just numbers but giving it your all and being great at it. I would say NO WAY is he the greatest ever. Sure he is very good but that is it as he hasn’t always given his all.

95. jagsfanugh says: Jan 30, 2013 8:25 PM

Bob Hayes. From Jacksonville, FL. Home of the now Jaguars.

96. bigbadal21 says: Jan 30, 2013 8:37 PM

I don’t think too many people doubt that Moss had the most talent and Rice had the better career(so far). So in my opinion there is plenty of good points on both sides with the main question being what constitutes being the best? The Moss crowd say he is or was the most talented therefore the best and the Rice crowd says he was the most productive therefore the best. I do not chide Moss for his opinion especially when the qb play is considered.

97. duffer58 says: Jan 30, 2013 9:08 PM

Whom is best ever is not worth arguing. Different generations and game has changed so much. If Jerry Rice had got drafted to a team with lousy quarterbacks what would his numbers be? Ask Larry Fitzgerald what that is like.
    Put Rice on Lions or Bears for those years and what would his numbers be?
    Wide Receivers are so dependent on Quarterback.

98. taintedsaints2009 says: Jan 30, 2013 9:39 PM

Ask any of the all time great cornerbacks, safeties, who they would be more afraid of covering 1×1: Jerry rice or randy moss.

I bet 8/10 would say Moss.

99. annes22 says: Jan 30, 2013 9:54 PM

He has a “big head” I don’t know about anything else. I cannot believe he would brag about himself at media day, please. There are a few better than you Randy. Just calm down.

100. dugganmt says: Jan 30, 2013 9:55 PM

When an opponent knows for an ENTIRE year that a player is not going to show up on Sunday, that player is clearly not the best ever.

The “best player” at any position is one, whom among many things, shows up every single game ready to give it all.

101. jkr32 says: Jan 30, 2013 10:13 PM

He’s right!! He is the best ever!! If you don’t count 4 or 5 other guys!

102. bkostela says: Jan 30, 2013 10:18 PM

everyone talks about “rice had montana” or “rice had young” but you have to pay attention to the fact that “montana had rice” and “young had rice” and maybe that is part of why the qbs were so great. joe montana never threw for 4000 yards in a season. he only threw for 30 tds once. (31 in a strike shortened 1987, 22 of which he threw to rice!) at the age of 40, jerry had 92 catches for 1211 yds and 7 tds… randy hasn’t put up those numbers at 33, 34 & 35 combined!!

stats aside, rice ran all the routes better than anyone else, went over the middle, ran the ball (10 rushing TDs), never drew attention to himself or his team in a negative way. moss ran a fast go route and outleaped everyone. moss could have had better numbers if he didnt take plays off, games off, seasons off, but he did do that. randy is a first ballot hall of famer, but the greatest of all time he is not.

103. questforthesixthnotthelast2013 says: Jan 30, 2013 10:48 PM

One question that i would ask. How great is this defense that you practice against??
    and then, how well do you, having been on several now, how do you feel you chances of winning another title when you face them in another uniform?
    it used to be the deal in san fran that the defense never let the offense score. Are they capable of shutting down their own offense again?
    i wanna say yes, but with moss and all the guys crabtree and the rb’s now, im not certain.

104. jkb0162 says: Jan 30, 2013 11:36 PM

There are no jobs where you can take off four out of fifteen years and be called the best at your position. Furthermore if you extrapolate Moss’s 98 season and 07 season (the only two years he truly wanted to prove something) from his overall numbers he looked truly pedestrian.
    Moss may have been the most talented player to ever play the position but I would take Jerry Rice, Chris Carter, Michael Irvin, Marvin Harrison and T.O. over him. Those guys would go over the middle and win playoff games. That’s what separates Moss from the best.

105. jessethegreat says: Jan 31, 2013 12:25 AM

I respect and appreciate the talents both brought to the game.

Id take both in different scenarios. Being a championship ready team, one would have to take rice. The crisp routes and pristine attitude at all times did wonders for the champion ship contending 49ers.

Of you were starting from scratch and wanted the greatest offensive threat the game has ever seen, you would take moss. No one was better at getting in position to catch the long ball. Safeties HAD to stay back and honor his speed and jumping ability at all times.

106. stellarperformance says: Jan 31, 2013 12:25 AM

I am having difficulty getting excited about the SuperBowl. I have to choose between this self-centered narcissist and an OJ wannabe?

Pass.

107. purplegreenandgold says: Jan 31, 2013 12:37 AM

Im humbled in saying …no… a second time

108. drekomp says: Jan 31, 2013 12:51 AM

I’ll take a focused Randy on my offense over any non QB to ever play the game.

He’s right– this stuff is subjective. If you polled the world obviously vehemently disagree with him just like most people will disagree with my opinion above.

I just feel like Randy was feared more than Jerry.

109. dougy1970 says: Jan 31, 2013 1:32 AM

Moss has a case, and to deny this is foolish.

1) Undeniable team impact. In 2007, the top two scoring teams in the history of the NFL were the 1998 Vikings and 2007 Patriots. Moss on both teams.

2) Overwhelming Individual QB Data: The following QBs had many bad years, but all of their best years were with Moss: Cunningham, George, Culpepper, Brady, Cassell. Even Gus Frerotte had his best games in the 3 games he played with Moss.

3) Bill Walsh was the greatest offensive genius in the history of the NFL. Joe Montana was clay in Walsh’s hands. Jerry Rice’s statistical productivity came in large part from this situation.

4) Don’t blame Randy Moss for David Tyree. Moss scored the would-be winning TD. Don’t blame Moss for Gary Anderson either.

I am not saying case closed. I am saying that there is a case.

Good morrow to you.

110. kindbass says: Jan 31, 2013 2:02 AM

Someone earlier in the comments made a great point: If you’re going to point to stats to justify Rice as the best WR ever, then why not Emmet Smith? People like Rice more than Moss, so they’re quick to just point at the stats and say “case closed”. But many of those same people apparently don’t like Emmett as much, so they’ll talk about Barry Sanders and Walter Payton and say stuff like “you just had to see them play.”

111. louhudson23 says: Jan 31, 2013 5:13 AM

Pretty hilarious.Although not as funny as his apologists.If blocking(ever) is no longer a needed function,he could be right….If running off routes hard is no longer a needed function,he could be right.If being in shape and ready to go on all plays is no longer a needed function,he could be right.His attitude sucked and got him sent away from the best Coach and QB he ever played with. He never blocked.If the ball was not slated to come to him ,he did not run his routes.These two acts alone lowered his teams ability and chance to win.And that is why the greatest play the game.To win.Or go down trying.But that is not why Randy Moss played the game.

112. jruc says: Jan 31, 2013 7:46 AM

This is literally Jordan & Kobe talk…All 4 of these guys had the skill and ability to be the best at what they do. Rice & Jordan (The 2 Greatest in my opinion) played and dominated during the same eras of their sports. Kobe & Moss did also and played great enough to have a case but just not enough for that case not to be triumphed.

Still, all 4 of these guys would tell you they were the best at what they do regardless of who disagreed. Jordan & Rice would be almost unanimously agreed with. Kobe & Moss would be almost unanimously disagreed with but with a little bit of “what if”. For Kobe, “What if he chose to be more of a team player and passed the ball more like he’s shown the ability of doing these last 3 games?”. For Moss, “What if he played with the same HOF QBs and coaches as Rice while using his full ability ALL the time instead of whenever HE wanted to?”. There are slight “what ifs” that could possibly catapult the “2nd place men” (some will say they aren’t even that and find someone else to place there) to retiring as the greatest. Honestly, Kobe & Moss are the ones who held themselves back with their arrogance and being unwilling to change. I am a HUGE fan of all 4 though.

113. originalsteelcurtain says: Jan 31, 2013 10:23 AM

Best receiver ever Randy? Maybe if you weren’t an inconsistent malcontent.

Moss did have the biggest first 2 years of any receiver EVER..by far.

He is probably the games #1 deep-threat of all time.

But best receiver ever? Rice has the moniker, and it’s well-deserved.

114. fanz928 says: Jan 31, 2013 11:07 AM

People always got something to say let the record and awards speak for themselves

115. zygizag says: Feb 4, 2013 12:39 AM

Earlier I said like 4 catches and 50 yards.

2 catches 40 ish yards and non chalont on the interception and did not bother to try to tackle the guy.