Ticket requests a hassle for Super Bowl players

Anastasia Danias AP

Players on the 49ers and Ravens are finding out one of the down sides of playing in the Super Bowl this week: Your friends and relatives assume you have free tickets to give them.

In reality, players in the Super Bowl get two free tickets and the opportunity to buy a limited number of tickets at face value, which ranges from $850 to $1,250. Some players are spending tens of thousands of dollars to bring large contingents of friends and family to the game — and even then they’re finding that relatives are asking for more.

“It’s been very difficult, to be honest with you,” Ravens cornerback Corey Graham said. “Everybody in your phone book is calling you and asking you if they can get tickets to the Super Bowl. Everybody assumes they’re free. It’s a tough situation. I just tried to put it all off on my wife and let her handle all that, all the hard work. I just try to prepare and get ready for the game which is the most important thing. You come out here, and it’s a great thing, but we’re here for one reason and that’s the most important thing is to play the game and have a good game and hope we win the game.”

Said Ravens linebacker Dannell Ellerbe, “Everybody was thinking they could come to the Super Bowl and wanted me to pay for everything. That was the craziest. They were asking for food, new clothes, and everything. It was all from family. I’ve got 15 people coming. When I told them how much a ticket was they understood. I think they were just thinking the tickets were free. We only get two free.”

Players on both the 49ers and the Ravens have said this week that the most important thing was getting all ticket requests taken care of last week, so that they could focus on actually preparing to play in the game this week. When you’re playing in the Super Bowl, you don’t want to spend your time worrying about all your relatives who want to go to the Super Bowl.

Permalink 18 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Baltimore Ravens, Home, Rumor Mill, San Francisco 49ers
18 Responses to “Ticket requests a hassle for Super Bowl players”
  1. skolvikings74 says: Jan 30, 2013 8:05 AM

Oh my god! Call your congressman. This is such a travesty.

2. PeterKingLovesCoqAVin says: Jan 30, 2013 8:08 AM

What kind of bloodsucking extended family demands Super Bowl tickets, airfare, food, and new clothes?

3. gntlmnkev says: Jan 30, 2013 8:10 AM

“Everybody was thinking they could come to the Super Bowl and wanted me to pay for everything. That was the craziest. They were asking for food, new clothes, and everything.”

2013 American thinking in a nutshell… explains a lot about the way things are going in this country.

4. steviethewiz says: Jan 30, 2013 8:36 AM

Ah good old Obama voters live in a world where everything thing is paid for by some one else.

5. Pimpin' aint easy unless you are Chuck Norris says: Jan 30, 2013 8:40 AM

LMFAO, welcome to America 2013. THIS, is what 51% of us voted for in November. It used to be the land of opportunity. Anyone in America could make something of themself, make a fortune, live free, etc. But now America, thanks to all the bleeding heart liberals, has changed from the Land of Opportunity to the Land of Handouts. This is a prime example. 30 years ago, friends and family would congrulate these players on their accomplishment (making it to the big game). Now, based on these players’ accomplishment, it has become “you need to get me tickets to the game, air fare, hotel, food, rental car, accomodations, and money for souvenirs for no reason other than we knew each other in high school”.

It is a joke.

6. 2ruefan says: Jan 30, 2013 8:44 AM

I guess this says a lot about the kind of families and backgrounds that some of these players have…

7. noring4youstill says: Jan 30, 2013 8:55 AM

I’ll just take some new clothes.

8. tvguy22 says: Jan 30, 2013 9:07 AM

30 other teams wished they had this problem.

9. steel420 says: Jan 30, 2013 9:29 AM

Why are people acting like this is something new, and that it has anything to do with politics? 30 years ago Super Bowl tickets were $50. each, but I guarantee family members from all over would reach out to players in order to get free tickets.

10. croc90 says: Jan 30, 2013 9:29 AM

I had 2 brothers play in 2 different Super Bowls. It is very difficult to deal with tickets. Everyone who believes they played a role in your success thinks they should come. Not to mention family from 5th and 6th cousins to Grandma. It can definitely cause a rift.

11. abninf says: Jan 30, 2013 9:37 AM

The President should redistribute the tickets.

12. nawlinsmitty says: Jan 30, 2013 9:50 AM

Sure, America has always been the land of opportunity, if you are of a certain race!!! Those opportunities seem to be a whole lot less if you are not part of the good old boy system.

13. nawlinsmitty says: Jan 30, 2013 9:52 AM

I am tired of this site not posting my comments. You are stepping on my right to free speech, and I will not stand for it!

14. uwsptke says: Jan 30, 2013 9:52 AM

I wonder if these same folks will return the favor years from now when some of these players wind up broke because they couldn’t tell these people “No” enough.

15. godofwine330 says: Jan 30, 2013 9:56 AM

$850-$1250? Well, I guess I will never go to a Super Bowl in person. That is ri-damned-diculous. I didn’t know that the players only got two free, either. If I was a player my nickname this week would be “No!” Plus, I get a better seat in front of my 55″ 3D Samsung, anyway.

And to the guy that made the Obama voter remark, think about how “your side” is poking hole in the car’s tires, not wanting to help push, and then complaining about it not going anywhere.

16. jason1980 says: Jan 30, 2013 10:06 AM

Oh listen to you horrible whiners, everything’s President Obama’s fault. Don’t like the country we live in, pack your bags and head over China. If this country is so bad, poorly managed LEAVE! You see, that’s not going to happen because you ditto heads just want to whine about losing an election or two. It’s Super Bowl dude, and America is the greatest nation on earth, so is our President.

17. butkusditka says: Jan 30, 2013 11:46 AM

Jason1980 is lost…….
    People complain that the US is turning into a socialism and you refer them to the people’s republic of china? You still don’t understand why that’s dumb, do you?

18. smokehouse56 says: Jan 30, 2013 11:48 AM

jason1980 says: America is the greatest nation on earth, so is our President.

I bet your a black taker. Right?