Tuiasosopo describes relationship with Te’o as “romantic”

350x-2 AP

Just when the events surrounding the Super Bowl were about to make us forget about the Manti Te’o fake dead girlfriend hoax, the perpetrator of the fake dead girlfriend hoax has taken it to a new level.

In an interview with Dr. Phil McGraw, Ronaiah Tuiasosopo admits that, from his perspective, the relationship with T’eo was romantic.

“Here we have a young man that fell deeply, romantically in love,’’ McGraw told NBC’s Today. “I asked him straight up, ‘Was this a romantic relationship with you?’  And he says yes.  I said, ‘Are you then therefore gay?’  And he said, ‘When you put it that way, yes.’  And then he caught himself and said, ‘I am confused.’’’

Join the crowd, Ronaiah.

Tuiasosopo said that T’eo was “absolutely, unequivocally” not involved in the hoax.

And we absolutely, unequivocally now hope that this one is finally over.

Permalink 44 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill
44 Responses to “Tuiasosopo describes relationship with Te’o as “romantic””
  1. gochargersgo says: Jan 30, 2013 9:58 AM

Finally over? Sounds like we’re just getting started.

2. manilarizzo says: Jan 30, 2013 9:59 AM

This story can’t go away fast enough. Unfortunately for Te’o’s career however, he’ll be known as the make-believe-girlfriend-guy.

3. tatvin says: Jan 30, 2013 9:59 AM

sounds like he is covering up for Teo, but that is just my opinion

4. dioalice says: Jan 30, 2013 10:00 AM

I feel bad for T’eo that his life gets played out in the media in this way.

Simply because the guy can run fast and tackle people shouldn’t really give any of us all access to his life.

My take: best of luck to him on Sundays, but other than that, I have no opinion – nor do I believe this is newsworthy.

5. getyourownname says: Jan 30, 2013 10:01 AM

It will be finally over only when you people stop writing about it.

This is like Dan Snyder recently saying he fired Cerrato because Cerrato didn’t stop Snyder from hiring Zorn.

6. randolph32 says: Jan 30, 2013 10:02 AM

Please, someone untangle the cords in this story…

7. souldogdave says: Jan 30, 2013 10:07 AM

The kid is gay, the fake GF was his “beard” so to speak. He is also dumb as dirt, wouldn’t go near him. Won’t be his last stunt.

8. solgoode says: Jan 30, 2013 10:11 AM

I think I’ll wait for the movie to come – and not go see it.

9. vtopa says: Jan 30, 2013 10:13 AM

Tuiasosososospo, I may not know whether you are gay (nor do I care) but I can say unequivocally that you are a little sleaze-bag. That, and you are wasting space in my head that should be reserved for making fun of Ray Lewis.

10. doubleogator says: Jan 30, 2013 10:14 AM

show me someone that is not confused….

11. nfloracle says: Jan 30, 2013 10:20 AM

It’ll be over when you guys stop writing about it.

12. accipiterq says: Jan 30, 2013 10:23 AM

Can people stop calling him “Dr.” please? He went to a 4th tier regional school in Texas to get his doctorate, in the neurology field. He was banned from the mental health field after he had a relationship with a female client who was a minor. He refused to take mandatory courses when he was caught, and stripped of his credentials.

13. mazblast says: Jan 30, 2013 10:23 AM

Ronaiah is the designated fall guy. He falls on his sword so the The Legend of Manti Te’o, as carefully scripted by Te’o, his handlers, and of course the great Notre Dame Media Machine, can live on. Only there won’t be nearly the money for Ronaiah that he thought there would be, thanks to the clumsy way this was done and the efficient way Alabama’s offensive line ground the Great Te’o into the turf on January 7th.

14. samoanjungle says: Jan 30, 2013 10:25 AM

It will be interesting to see Teo’s Wunderlic score

15. trollhammer20 says: Jan 30, 2013 10:30 AM

So, this guy lied to Manti Te’o, apparently for over a year, and now that the fraud is over, he apparently wants to use TV interviews about it to advance his career.

Of course, given he’s the worst kind of pathlogical liar – the kind who lies, repeats the lie, then reinforces the lie – how can we be remotely sure that he’s telling the truth now? Simply put, we can’t – once a liar, always a liar.

I’m not confused, I’m just sick that this guy gets to stand in front of the cameras and basically gloat over willfully deceiving someone, and is now willing to use that deception to advance himself in the public eye. He’ll probably wind up with some kind of “punk’d” reality TV show that most people will say is really horrible but will tune in to watch anyway, because we have some kind of fascination with celebrities, even those who have done nothing at all to deserve that status.

16. popdawg99 says: Jan 30, 2013 10:32 AM

Teo’s first walk into a NFL locker room is going to be super awkward.

17. ern215 says: Jan 30, 2013 10:33 AM

i hope that all of you are judged the same way you judge this young man (without ever meeting him), smh

18. norcalmikey says: Jan 30, 2013 10:33 AM

I just threw up a little in my mouth.

19. blars82 says: Jan 30, 2013 10:34 AM

It will be interesting to see Manti’s awareness rating on Madden too…

20. joemammy says: Jan 30, 2013 10:40 AM

There’s a good reason why those guys were on an island in the first place.

21. nomoreseasontix says: Jan 30, 2013 10:42 AM

Oh, man…. from a top 10 pick to falling several rounds.
    This guy is having a bad year….

22. thelastpieceofcheese says: Jan 30, 2013 10:51 AM

T’eo is a bad person because he lied.

23. hatesycophants says: Jan 30, 2013 10:57 AM

We’re done with this now. Why is the “media” incapable of knowing when to stop beating fake dead horses?

Agree with the post asking that you you folks stop calling that criminal a doctor.

24. it's all bs says: Jan 30, 2013 11:07 AM

dayum u gotta feel for this kid…..this is sad!!!

25. MyTeamsAllStink says: Jan 30, 2013 11:20 AM

Just come out Te’o.Dont end up like Kwame Harris

26. joelvis72 says: Jan 30, 2013 11:24 AM

In my view the only thing left for T’eo, if he IS gay, is to “come out” and promote himself as some kind of bad-ass gay NFL role model.

27. bartman1156 says: Jan 30, 2013 11:26 AM

Not that there’s anything wrong with that…

28. boobsmcgoo says: Jan 30, 2013 11:33 AM

Tuey is gay. Manti is not. Manti should have kept this fake girlfriend to himself. I had a “friend” online. We talked on the phone, email, etc. I never saw a picture of her. She could have been fake. Who knows? Guess what, I didn’t go around telling everyone she was my girlfriend!!!!

29. pleasantsurpriselefty says: Jan 30, 2013 11:40 AM

If ND gave this bozo a degree we can put to bed all the hype ND puts out about matriculating above average student athletes.

30. buddysguys says: Jan 30, 2013 11:48 AM

they probably got caught smooching and now this is the story…

do all Hawaiians do meth? I know its huge out there.

31. hurrayforyogapants says: Jan 30, 2013 11:55 AM

I don’t get why everybody is making such a big deal out of the fact that Te’o is probably not the sharpest knife in the drawer. Te’o is clearly very manipulable, I think that is a great trait in a football player – it means that they are very coachable. Coaches are going to be able to get him to do whatever they want.

By the way, am I the only one who hears Ed McMahon whenever I say “Te’o” in my head?

32. randomguy9999 says: Jan 30, 2013 11:59 AM

going on Dr. Phil was a MAJOR mistake for him…

Dr. Phil emasculates men all day long every day to fit his weekday afternoon soccer Mom demo….

there was zero upside for his career doing this…

33. badguy711 says: Jan 30, 2013 12:09 PM

The funny part is that once this guy is drafted, instead of 32 Fan Bases teeing up on him, it will be 31 and one group defending him. I hope its Pit or SF

34. cowboyfan66 says: Jan 30, 2013 12:14 PM

This is almost as funny as Kwame Harris pulling his boyfriend’s pants down and accusing him of stealing his underwear!

35. stratus5ss says: Jan 30, 2013 12:26 PM

This guy is not right in the head. He is an obsessed stalker who could easily become a predator.

As for Tuiasosopo, the village called for you. They want their idiot back.

36. beeronthefridge says: Jan 30, 2013 12:26 PM

What’s the big deal with Teo?

Doesn’t everybody have imaginary friends when they are children?

37. therealtruth210 says: Jan 30, 2013 12:34 PM

isn’t there a college section you should be putting this article on

38. southpaw2k says: Jan 30, 2013 12:35 PM

What I’d like to ultimately understand is what Tuiasosososososopo had hoped to gain in duping Te’o for such a long period of time. It doesn’t sound like he had extorted any money from Te’o or anything else of a legal nature. Did he just want 15 minutes of notoriety out of it?

39. Stiller43 says: Jan 30, 2013 12:38 PM

So te’o offered half of his nfl signing bonus to make the guy shut up, so what?

40. granadafan says: Jan 30, 2013 12:53 PM

Only the weak minded and gullible believe the Notre Dame PR machine story that Te’o was completely hoaxed and innocent. They did the right thing and instructed Te’o to just deny everything and enough weak people will believe it. The smart public is just annoyed that he lied and continues to lie with Notre Dame’s help.

41. FinFan68 says: Jan 30, 2013 1:02 PM

I doubt Manti is as dumb as it appears. I doubt he is as innocently naive either. He started gaining national attention during the heisman buildup. Scrutiny was coming to bear on his personal life and that is something he likely did not want addressed. The most likely scenario (IMHO) is that they made up a story to cover up a gay relationship and that story got out of hand. All the rest is simply trying to put the toothpaste back into the tube.

42. godell50 says: Jan 30, 2013 1:19 PM

solgoode says:
    Jan 30, 2013 10:11 AM
    I think I’ll wait for the movie to come – and not go see it.

Dude have to give you props. That’s how I feel about allot of stuff today……good way to put it

43. Ponder This says: Jan 30, 2013 2:30 PM

randomguy9999 says:Jan 30, 2013 11:59 AM

going on Dr. Phil was a MAJOR mistake for him…

there was zero upside for his career doing this…
    _________

What career? This should do wonders for him if he wants to be famous and someday appear on a reality show with other once-famous losers.

44. Sometimes Interesting says: Jan 31, 2013 1:26 AM

I am really looking forward to the reaction of media & fans of whatever team drafts this guy.

His talents aside, this circus will follow him for his career.

Right Ray Lewis?