Dan Marino admits fathering child with CBS production assistant

Super Bowl XLVII Broadcasters Press Conference Getty Images

Pro Football Hall of Famer Dan Marino has admitted that he is the father of a 7-year-old child with a production assistant he worked with at CBS.

When the New York Post questioned Marino about rumors that he had a child with a former coworker, Marino provided the paper with a written statement confirming the story and saying that he has taken care of his child while also staying married to his wife of 28 years.

This is a personal and private matter,” Marino said. “I take full responsibility both personally and financially for my actions now as I did then. We mutually agreed to keep our arrangement private to protect all parties involved. My wife and I have been married for almost 30 years and have six children together. And we continue to be a strong and loving family.”

Marino, who will work the Super Bowl pregame show on Sunday, has reportedly paid millions of dollars in child support.

Permalink 91 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Miami Dolphins, Rumor Mill
91 Responses to “Dan Marino admits fathering child with CBS production assistant”
  1. bigshirk says: Jan 31, 2013 1:39 PM

Respect. Made a mistake and stepped up as a man and took responsibility for his actions.

2. goraidersgospurs says: Jan 31, 2013 1:41 PM

Dan the Man!!!

3. dj121191 says: Jan 31, 2013 1:41 PM

This has got to be embarrassing to his wife

4. kate773 says: Jan 31, 2013 1:42 PM

How did this story even get out?

If all parties involved are cool with the situation and he’s not neglecting the kid, then while I won’t say its a non-story, but its not exactly scandalous. This isn’t 1950.

5. blackandbluedivision says: Jan 31, 2013 1:42 PM

Okay why is this news? He’s not even playing any more.

6. jagsfanugh says: Jan 31, 2013 1:42 PM

Huh? He should be ashamed of himself and what a sorry excuse for a husband and father to do that to his other children and wife.

7. jnbnet says: Jan 31, 2013 1:42 PM

I am not a big Marino fan, but I have to say that I like the way he mans up. He admitts it, and he supports the child and mother.

8. JackAcid says: Jan 31, 2013 1:44 PM

As long as his wife knows and he is being financially responsible, nothing more to say.

It’s their business and it sounds like he has rectified as much as he can.

9. shawshankreception says: Jan 31, 2013 1:46 PM

Pretty well kept secret… for 7 years anyway

10. daringanttsux says: Jan 31, 2013 1:49 PM

Dan The Man … straight cash, homie

11. blitzinc43 says: Jan 31, 2013 1:49 PM

Disco Dan is the Damn Man

or the Damned Man

12. wtfchiefs says: Jan 31, 2013 1:49 PM

Not news.

Talk football.

13. ottawabrave91 says: Jan 31, 2013 1:51 PM

he just wanted to win one super bowl

14. azarkhan says: Jan 31, 2013 2:00 PM

She knew he was married and slept with him anyway. She is at fault as much as he is.

15. gochargersgo says: Jan 31, 2013 2:02 PM

Millions of dollars in child support? Sounds a little over the top.

16. moagecu says: Jan 31, 2013 2:03 PM

prefect timing considering his wedding it’s his 28th wedding anniversary.

17. dmface says: Jan 31, 2013 2:08 PM

Talk Football? Its’ ok to talk about Ray Lewis off the football field issues, but now everyone wants to say let’s talk football and this is a non story. Well it’s a story of a man cheating on his wife. And I am sure he has had just as many as Tiger Woods has had. Dan should be fired just like Tikki Barber was when he did the same thing.

18. chawk12thman says: Jan 31, 2013 2:13 PM

Thats about the same time in his life that he was looking at being a GM. Must have been a crazy time for him. Glad he apparently stepped up to take care of the child.

19. theralph2012 says: Jan 31, 2013 2:14 PM

Oh my gosh the man supports his child! I have so much respect for this man…

Except for the fact that you cheated on your wife…

20. connie73 says: Jan 31, 2013 2:14 PM

I have no problem with this. He didnt kill or rape anyone. He is taking care of the kid. I just hope he is just not only giving money. I hope he is gives his time to the kid.

21. sean6886 says: Jan 31, 2013 2:20 PM

gochargersgo says:
    Jan 31, 2013 2:02 PM
    Millions of dollars in child support? Sounds a little over the top.

It’s probably a combination child support and hush money.
    I don’t condone cheating but I also am not in this marriage so if his Wife has accepted it then I hope that child has a happy life with both Families-after all, in the end it should be about the welfare of the child. I also hope now that this is out in the open the press leaves the kid alone.

22. sharks123 says: Jan 31, 2013 2:27 PM

I would not lead off my comment with “respect”. He did a very disrespectful thing. I would give some credit for not abandoning his child but that’s not a great standard. Sunday can’t come fast enough.

23. cakemixa says: Jan 31, 2013 2:29 PM

24. metalhead65 says: Jan 31, 2013 2:32 PM

well I hope everybody is happy now the truth is out there. what is the point of of airing his private life if he is taking responsibility for what he did? does it serve any purpose to expose his family to the glare of the media over something that is old news? I am sure his kids won’t mind being asked questions about it will they? his family are the only people this matters to and since he is still married it looks like they have moved on so why is it a story now? again unlike most athletes he took responsibility for his actions so leave it alone already.

25. bunkmcnulty says: Jan 31, 2013 2:35 PM

There are some stories PFT should not allow any comments on.
    _____________
    Like this:
    jagsfanugh says:
    Jan 31, 2013 1:42 PM
    _____________
    Do you live in a bubble? People make mistakes. Really bad mistakes sometimes. I guess you have never seen something like this? I am far from perfect myself and it is not for me to pass judgement on this man.

Who gave you the authority to pass out shame and condemnation? What he did was wrong and he has owned up to it. He owes nothing to any of us as it relates to this. His statement was more than enough.

Go back in your bubble!

26. vicksprman says: Jan 31, 2013 2:37 PM

Okay based on the above comments its nobody’s business but its everyone’s business to talk about Cromartie and Ray Lewis and every guy who has children out of wedlock? Big picture he cheated on his wife and I bet you it was more then with this one woman during his 28 year marriage but way to man up by sending the kid as far away as possible.

27. blacknole08 says: Jan 31, 2013 2:39 PM

So does the mistress have to pay back the millions now that te secret is out?

Much respect to Marino for stepping up and oing the right thing in that situation.

28. catfish252 says: Jan 31, 2013 2:41 PM

Note to other Celebrities:

This is how you man up when you mess up, no bad press, no prolonged stories in the news, no mud slinging. Be responsible for your actions admit your mistake, pay up and shut up. Way to go Dan — you’ve earned a ton of respect.

29. keeppounding says: Jan 31, 2013 2:44 PM

What do you people want from him? He took responsibility. He did what he had to do. His wife forgave him. Should he write each of you a letter? It’s between him and his wife get over it.

30. mrone50 says: Jan 31, 2013 2:46 PM

Say what? Another football player who isn’t a perfect human being? What is the world coming to?

31. ppc50 says: Jan 31, 2013 2:47 PM

To DMface: “Dan should be fired just like Tikki Barber was when he did the same thing.”

———————————————————–
    First off, it’s Tiki and secondly, he was not fired solely because he left his pregnant wife for an asst at NBC. He was fired because he wasn’t any good at his job, had a huge ego on the set, and his co-workers/management disliked him. If he was Tom Brokaw or Roker they would have kept him on. To his credit, he actually left his wife a lot earlier during her pregnancy, but was mislabeled by the media so it appeared that he left her just prior to his kids’ birth.

32. beauregard says: Jan 31, 2013 2:51 PM

That was one expensive date. If he has indeed paid millions I’ll bet that mom is doing pretty well too.

33. giablommi says: Jan 31, 2013 3:08 PM

“How is anyone calling him a man and saying they respect him? Cheating on your wife makes you a man?”
    ^^^^^
    Totally agree, but here’s the thing…in this society, you get much more respect and public acceptance by doing despicable things and subsequently issuing an apology (no matter how hollow or insincere it may be) or claiming you found God and then begging for forgiveness and redemption than…you know…just thinking about your actions in the present, living your life the right way and not doing or saying stupid/offensive/illegal things.

Man, what a screwed up world we live in.

34. jetfanfolife says: Jan 31, 2013 3:12 PM

shawshankreception says:
    Jan 31, 2013 1:46 PM
    Pretty well kept secret… for 7 years anyway

********

7 years 9 months

35. mack2x says: Jan 31, 2013 3:23 PM

millions of dollars in child support? I thought I had it bad.

36. bearsareone says: Jan 31, 2013 3:25 PM

He’s keeping it real.

37. andydaltonsgingereyebrows says: Jan 31, 2013 3:27 PM

Superbowl week has now become a media circus where all past, present and future NFL players dirty laundry gets aired. It’s become less about the game and more about all of the other crap they can dig up about these guys. It’s really sad what they do to sell magazines and have people visit their websites.

38. mack2x says: Jan 31, 2013 3:27 PM

“Cheating on your wife makes you a man?’-

Nope, only human.

39. lgwelsh1 says: Jan 31, 2013 3:36 PM

Stuff like this shouldn’t be made public, obviously Dan and his wife worked it out. He is paying support
    and taking care of it.

So whats the point of bringing this public, the reason is selling newspapers and getting more clicks on websites.

40. gunnyd says: Jan 31, 2013 3:37 PM

I disagree with all the commenters who laud Marino for “taking responsibility”. He was married with 5 or 6 kids? That’s what’s wrong with this country…..people it’s “anything goes” so long as nobody gets hurt physically. I’m sure his own kids are very proud of the fact that their dad impregnated a woman who was not their mother!!! Class Act Marino!

41. usmutts says: Jan 31, 2013 3:49 PM

Well, at least he didn’t use the Ray-Ray excuse: the Devil made me do it.

42. edgerules says: Jan 31, 2013 3:55 PM

Well, it is not up to us to judge. When he faces God, that is when he will be judged. Besides, the purpose of this story is what exactly? I am so glad that not everyone is as judgmental like Gunnyd.

43. all4patriots says: Jan 31, 2013 3:56 PM

Dan, you don’t have to answer those questions. Just say that such questions are the work of the devil, as we learned earlier this week. Then there’s no follow-up.

44. codyodea says: Jan 31, 2013 4:04 PM

Dan gets a free pass. Doesn’t anyone remember, 48 tds and 5,084 yds. Back then they were able to hit qbs and receivers. Pick and guy and let it fly Dan. Purest passer ever!

45. hatesycophants says: Jan 31, 2013 4:04 PM

One of you actually said Marino had earned a ton of respect for cheating on his wife, fathering an illegitimate child and paying support as prescribed by law. Hilarious! Cromartie must be your hero?!

How is that you right wingnuts are always playing the victim? During this past election cycle, you provided us with some pretty solid entertainment. Thanks.

46. gbmickey says: Jan 31, 2013 4:40 PM

47. kehnn13 says: Jan 31, 2013 4:48 PM

For

and all the others who want to demonize the man for his relationships. It is his life, his relationships. Who are you to make judgments about what he does in his life?

48. packerbadger says: Jan 31, 2013 4:51 PM

Nothing to gain other than trying to shame someone. Non story. The guy did man up and do what he had to. Hope this dies now.

49. atwatercrushesokoye says: Jan 31, 2013 4:54 PM

Maybe I’m jaded but I half expect to hear tomorrow that there is no baby and Marino was being catfished by the Tuisasopo kid and that he loves him in a romantic way…the game can’t get here fast enough!

50. packerbadger says: Jan 31, 2013 4:56 PM

jagsfanugh says:Jan 31, 2013 1:42 PM

==================================

Yeah, and what really is your point? Like he’s the only one ever to be in that situation. I’m sure you’re there thumpin your book every Sunday. I’m sure he didn’t do “it” TO his kids and wife. Lets talk about Jimmy Swaggart, Jim Baker, Ted Haggard and a whole lot of priests as long as you’re on the sanctimonious rant.

51. jonevans83 says: Jan 31, 2013 4:57 PM

“gbmickey says:
    Jan 31, 2013 4:40 PM
    I’m amazed on how naive people are. He stepped up? Legally he had to take care of that child. Stepping up would actually be being a father to the child. Being that it was a secret he wanted nothing to do with his own son which is sad.”

wrong. he stayed in contact with the family and the child. Any other assumptions you care to make? This is why Marino is the Greatest, your pitch forks can’t even sack him.

52. packerbadger says: Jan 31, 2013 4:58 PM

He should have worn a glove…er….Isotoner.

53. pillowporkers says: Jan 31, 2013 5:05 PM

It’s hard for me to sit here and criticize people such as Arnold Schwarzenegger, Tiger Woods, and Dan Marino because I don’t have a bunch of gold digging woores running after me 24/7 because I don’t have millions of dollars. I heard a stat that they have it estimated at 90% of professional actors, sports players, and musicians are unfaithful. It’s hard for me to point the finger when I don’t know what it’s like to be under that kind of pressure.

That being said, the people that justify him as “manning up” by telling his daughter to move away and to deprive her of her father and just paying the mother to keep your other family in tact is borderline insane. Come on people, where are your morals. This girl is going to have some major problems because of the selfish decision of both her parents. This is not Marino “manning up” people.

54. thebadguyswon says: Jan 31, 2013 5:14 PM

Well at least we know his wife is in it for the money and the money alone.

55. Mr. Wright 212 says: Jan 31, 2013 5:14 PM

Oh, you laud him for this because he supposedly “manned up”? It ain’t private, either. You are in the public specter and engaged in acts where the public has access to know.

Whatever, we are all tempted at times.

My problem is always what the woman’s mindset is when she’s likely only involved because so and so is/was famous and has stature, otherwise, she wouldn’t have been involved nor would this be a story.

I just wonder why the perception was different when “others” merely cheated, but didn’t father a child (that we know of) outside of wedlock.

56. filthymcnasty1 says: Jan 31, 2013 5:16 PM

Maybe he’s just got a better cell phone camera than Brett.

57. johngaltx says: Jan 31, 2013 5:30 PM

I don’t know if he ever played the Trojans, but I can see he doesn’t play with one!

58. allan357 says: Jan 31, 2013 5:45 PM

Given that some posters here are in a super-forgiving mood, I assume that they have never been cheated on.

Issuing a prepared, written statement is not “owning up” to a mistake. It’s only the VERY BEGINNING of it. The actual “heavy lifting” will come over the next several years, when he has to prove by his actions that his words actually mean something.

I hope his wife doesn’t make it easy.

59. peakhype says: Jan 31, 2013 5:48 PM

It appears Dan Marino has much more integrity than Steve Jobs.

60. suzieb61 says: Jan 31, 2013 5:50 PM

Ok, here is an opportunity for all of the Ray Haters to chime in and let us know how Dan Marino is a great guy, did the right thing, took care of his business blah blah blah blah

Once again, this was no ones business but Dan Marino’s and the media is out of control. I don’t care if he is a public figure; his personal life is just that personal.

61. mazblast says: Jan 31, 2013 5:55 PM

codyodea says:

————————————–
    Most prolific playoff losing QB ever, too. Never could seal the deal, HS, college, or pros. Mr. Regular Season. Yeah, tons of TDs and yards, blonde, tall, good-looking, Mr. Touchdown USA–except when it mattered the most.

As for this matter, oh sure, give him tons of credit for meeting his legal obligations AFTER he cheated on his wife and fathered a child out of wedlock. Hold him up as some sort of virtuous ideal, right. Meanwhile, the millions of guys who do the real right thing, keeping their promises, get no recognition (nor do most of them expect any; after all, they made a deal, they’re sticking to it, so what).

Personally, I don’t give a darn about Dan Marino’s private life, except to wish him and his family well in a vague sort of way. I hope his wife, his kids, and he are healthy, happy, and contented. But please, don’t make him out to be some sort of great guy for “doing the right thing” after he just couldn’t keep it in his pants.

62. sailbum7 says: Jan 31, 2013 6:04 PM

I do not understand the point in making this public. There is not controversy here. Marino’s wife knows all about this. Marino messed up and cheated on his wife, big deal. This happens thousands of times a day in this country. Morino did the right thing, he took responsibility for his actions and has been supporting the kid and mother. He did not try and hide this from his wife, he came clean and told her about it. The only purpose in publishing this story is to publically embarrass Marino and his family and draw unwanted attention to the child. To publish this is the worst example of what “journalism” has become. NBC should be embarrassed for having anything to do with the publication os this garbage.

63. 63cedarst says: Jan 31, 2013 6:11 PM

Infidelity wounds a family and spouse like few other human experiences. There is nothing honorable in the choice to step out on your spouse, it shows wanton disregard in hurting someone else for personal gratification, and it will takes years for a spouse to recover. Most people vastly underestimate the devastation of cheating. It is possible to go forward and forgive and restore a satisfying connection, but it will be a long road. Prayers and wishes of strength to him and his family.

64. pgh33 says: Jan 31, 2013 6:18 PM

As a woman, when I read this story on various sites, noting he paid “millions”, and the woman began “living large” including a place in “the Hamptons”, I thought “sucker”! She got pregnant on purpose for financial gain IMO. Plus, how did the finances reach “millions”? To take care of 1 child? Whose idea was it to be paid? At what amount? Do those payments continue now that the “hush” money is not longer neededed? Nothing to hush now….hmmm….

65. peytonsneck18 says: Jan 31, 2013 6:22 PM

player , player, this isnt new news, alot of athelets cheat on their wives and have kids out of wedlock, we will be here all day if he posted on who has done what

66. rayguyreturns says: Jan 31, 2013 6:26 PM

I wonder if Dan can name all of his children (Cromartie sarcasm)

67. scrp2 says: Jan 31, 2013 6:32 PM

Production assistant probably ran through the money she got and asked for another substantial amount to keep keeping quiet.

Dan’s probably like, oh no, I can’t afford this. How much can CBS be paying him? 1.5m/yr tops?. He probably leaked the story himself. Remember he’s got a wife and 6 kids and they want money too.

68. wolfmagic2012 says: Jan 31, 2013 6:47 PM

Not our business, but hey we live in a dumbed-down celebrity-worshipping society… This is between Dan and his family and the other woman and child. Not our business.

69. rawhead08 says: Jan 31, 2013 7:35 PM

Why would any kid need millions in support?

70. rameyag says: Jan 31, 2013 7:54 PM

18 years, 18 years
    She got one of yo’ kids, got you for 18 years
    I know somebody payin’ child support for one of his kids
    His baby momma’s car crib is bigger than his
    You will see him on TV, any given Sunday
    Win the Superbowl and drive off in a Hyundai
    She was supposed to buy ya shorty Tyco with ya money
    She went to the doctor got lipo with ya money
    She walkin’ around lookin’ like Michael with ya money
    Shoulda’ got that insured, GEICO for your money
    If you ain’t no punk holla’ we want pre-nup
    WE WANT PRE-NUP!, yeah
    It’s something that you need to have
    ‘Cause when she leave yo’ a– she gon’ leave with half
    18 years, 18 years
    And on her 18th birthday, he found out it wasn’t his?

71. Nor-Cal Scott says: Jan 31, 2013 7:55 PM

Marino had no choice then to man up and pay support. A simple DNA test would have forced him to pay child support. I’m guessing the wife already knew about the child. How could millions be paid to the mother without being noticed?

Oh f**k! CBS is doing the Super Bowl? That means we have to watch & listen to the worst PreGame Show of All-Time!

Shannon Sharpe can’t even speak the English language. My buddies and I call him “Mush Mouth” because he mumbles so much.

72. ironman721 says: Jan 31, 2013 7:57 PM

So the fact this comes out a few days before he’s on CBS Super Bowl pre game is purely a coincidence. Right?

73. danfan528 says: Jan 31, 2013 7:59 PM

If the man played for the Ravens he would be crucified

74. ironman721 says: Jan 31, 2013 8:19 PM

Somewhere Ray Finkle is laughing. Laces out Dan!

75. jason9696 says: Jan 31, 2013 8:21 PM

He was a great quarterback. But he’s lousy on those pregame shows. He should go back to making those lame Isotoner commercials.

76. twindad2k1 says: Jan 31, 2013 8:26 PM

I hope by “full responsibility personally…” he means that he has a relationship with his son that goes beyond just a signed check.

Sorry, but this is pathetic. While I admit there are others out there that would not take proper responsibility, the fact that he did “step up” (with a lot of $$$) shouldn’t excuse him from the appropriate chastising he should get for cheating on his wife and kids.

Lost a TON of respect for him with this revelation.

77. 2013michael2013 says: Jan 31, 2013 8:27 PM

You guys don’t know the story, so don’t judge the man before you know the facts. He may have been separated from his wife for short while, or whatever, who knows.
    I was separated from my wife for 8 months once. We are married 26 years. Very few people know this, I am talking about friends and family. we live a private life, perhaps the Marino’s Do As Well.

78. dangernearing says: Jan 31, 2013 8:29 PM

Don’t see how you guys back Marino and when he ADMITS to being guilty of stepping outside the marriage. And most of you are still fighting for him. SMH. When you should be backing his innocent wife and children.

79. jfsargent3 says: Jan 31, 2013 8:34 PM

Millions of dollars in child support?

80. trapshoot says: Jan 31, 2013 8:50 PM

Class act in the way he has handled the situation.

81. dolfan72 says: Jan 31, 2013 9:03 PM

He stepped up and took responsibility. This is true, and he has no one but himself to blame. However, he still used poor judgment, and when kids are involved, it’s worse! He’s lucky he didn’t end up with a serious STD.

Dan should have taken the advice of the late, great Paul Newman when it comes to infidelity. Newman said, “Why go out for hamburger when you have steak at home?”

82. fdugrad says: Jan 31, 2013 10:27 PM

Perhaps he became a total fox when he lost all the weight on Nutri-system!

83. jollyjoker2 says: Jan 31, 2013 11:01 PM

millions? She must have one heck ofa attorney. As far as his current wife…if she don’t like it, divorce him. Its a free country.

84. randomguy9999 says: Jan 31, 2013 11:21 PM

we got a pretty screwed up value system if 80% of the people on here are saying Dan was a ‘class act’ etc.

no matter what he says… behind the scenes… he blew up his family and that 28 years that his wife and kids trusted him…. congrats Dan…

85. Iraelite says: Jan 31, 2013 11:21 PM

Not news

86. commonsensedude says: Jan 31, 2013 11:54 PM

Every time this happens, when a guy messes up and confesses an affair or something like that, a couple of thoughts come to my mind:

1) It’s not my place to judge him as a person. We also can’t go back in time and “undo” bad things that we do. The best we can do is man up and face the consequences.

2) Don’t be that guy. Do everything I can do to make sure I don’t make the same mistake. It’s a terribly cruel thing to do to your wife and extremely painful for all involved. Nobody is too good, too holy or too whatever to end up doing something incredibly stupid like this and we all need to just make sure we check ourselves.

87. steeler582012 says: Feb 1, 2013 4:40 AM

what he did was wrong but at least he is taking care of the childs needs

88. buzz29 says: Feb 1, 2013 12:17 PM

People forfeit privacy when they become public figures. They can’t have their cake and eat it too. They will continue to mindlessly pursue notoriety, and they will continue to mindlessly demand privacy. Sad, pathetic creatures.

89. ytownjoe says: Feb 2, 2013 12:33 AM

Good man Dan.
    Keep your broadcasting job. We love your NFL coverage. But maybe you’re overpaying a bit for the kid?

90. pksoze says: Feb 2, 2013 4:12 PM

Marino is also a terrible broadcaster. Even without the affair this guy should be gone.

91. dalier31 says: Jul 27, 2014 10:57 AM

“Let any one of you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at the man”.