Rob Gronkowski doesn’t think he returned too soon

Rob Gronkowski, Tom Brady AP

Patriots tight end Rob Gronkowski is making the rounds in New Orleans this week with a big black cast on his left arm, the result of the arm he suffered in the playoff opener against the Texans.

It was the second time he broke the arm this season and Gronkowski admitted Thursday that he didn’t feel all that comfortable with the arm when he returned to action against the Dolphins in the final week of the regular season. That doesn’t mean Gronkowski thinks he returned too soon, however.

“I couldn’t really tell you if it was healed or not. It felt good. Just going into the playoff game I felt ready, I felt confident about it. Like I said, it was just a freak accident. It didn’t go the way I planned. It broke in a different spot. It just happened. Obviously I wasn’t planning on that,” Gronkowski said during an interview with WEEI. “If the doctors didn’t clear me and they said it wasn’t smart to play in the Miami game, then I wouldn’t have. But the doctors cleared me and they said I was good to go. Obviously I want to be out there whenever I can get out there. So, right when they said I was cleared, I was definitely ready to go.”

Gronkowski said there’s no rush to do anything while waiting for the arm to heal, a process that should leave him ready to work this spring and will certainly have him ready for training camp this summer.

Permalink 11 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New England Patriots, Rumor Mill
11 Responses to “Rob Gronkowski doesn’t think he returned too soon”
  1. marvsleezy says: Jan 31, 2013 12:21 PM

Why are you asking me medical questions? I’m just a dumb jock, if the doctors let me play, I play.

2. beavertonsteve says: Jan 31, 2013 12:23 PM

I don’t think there is anything wrong with Gronk coming back early, even if his arm wasn’t 100%. If he waited until the arm was full strength it would have been next season. You’ve got guys playing in the superbowl with half their triceps ripped off why not give it a go with a plate in your forearm?

If they wanted to protect him I’m not sure a go route to start things off was the best choice, but I don’t fault him or the team for having him out there.

3. tbd3 says: Jan 31, 2013 12:25 PM

Different spot, same bone. It’s difficult to deny that his arm was not back at full strength, even if it felt that way.

4. azarkhan says: Jan 31, 2013 12:27 PM

Based on Gronkowski’s comments, it’s probably a good idea to wait an additional two weeks after the doctors clear you before you play.

5. tbd3 says: Jan 31, 2013 12:36 PM

beavertonsteve says:
    Jan 31, 2013 12:23 PM

——————————-

When did a go route suddenly become a dangerous play? Should they have sent him over the middle instead? I just don’t see the logic behind that statement, which I have seen made a number of times.

6. vicnocal says: Jan 31, 2013 12:45 PM

Title should be “Rob Gronkowski doesn’t think.”

7. beavertonsteve says: Jan 31, 2013 12:50 PM

__________________________
    I’ve watched Gronk lay out for plenty of long passes. He’s a beast on those plays, it’s just not condusive to playing with a broken arm. I think your point is that he could have been injured on ANY play, which is fine, but with the way he lays out on deep balls I had a bad feeling as soon as Brady threw it. Just my opinion.

8. pinion8ted says: Jan 31, 2013 1:16 PM

As a Pat’s fan, I’d like to suggest Gronkowsi hold off on attending a Super Bowl again until he is IN it.

9. CKL says: Jan 31, 2013 2:55 PM

@pinion8ted,
    Why? Lots of players go, they hawk their products, and go to hang out with friends and party. You think Gronk is missing Mardi Gras? NOT.A.CHANCE. :D

Russell Wilson is there and he’s pretty much the anti Gronk even though he’s around the same age. As a side note, I hope the Pats are lucky enough to get a QB just like Wilson when they are ready to move on from TB. I love everything about that kid.

10. whit0101 says: Jan 31, 2013 4:40 PM

A lot of people who have known Randy Moss do not like him. Do you think that for one second Randy has ever looked at himself as perhaps just being a little part of the problem? Randy calling himself the best receiver of all time has things mixed up. He might be the best athlete in the receiver of all time, but he sure as hell was not the best football player receiver of all time. Too much of the time he did not give 100% to be the best player. In that respect he could not carry Jerry Rice’s jockstrap.

11. cmdrsmooth says: Jan 31, 2013 9:20 PM

No..he played too much in a blow out. karma baby! Cost them another Super Bowl. Hahaha.