Terrell Suggs says Ravens would welcome a gay teammate

Baltimore Ravens Super Bowl XLVII Media Availability Getty Images

After 49ers cornerback Chris Culliver stuck his foot in his mouth when asked what he’d think of having a gay teammate, some words of wisdom during this Super Bowl week came from Ravens outside linebacker Terrell Suggs.

Asked if he would have a problem with a gay teammate, Suggs answered, “Absolutely not.” Suggs then added that the rest of the team would welcome a gay teammate as well.

“We wouldn’t have a problem with it,” Suggs said. “We don’t care. Our biggest thing in the locker room is to just have fun and stay loose. We don’t really care too much about that. We’re a football team. I said it yesterday; everybody deserves a certain amount of privacy. Who cares? Whatever a person’s choice is, it’s their choice.”

Suggs said the Ravens’ locker room is a welcoming environment.

“On this team, with so many different personalities, we just accept people for who they are and we don’t really care too much about a player’s sexuality,” Suggs said. “To each their own. You know who you are, and we accept you for it.”

Permalink 101 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Baltimore Ravens, Rumor Mill, San Francisco 49ers, Top Stories
101 Responses to “Terrell Suggs says Ravens would welcome a gay teammate”
  1. turkjones says: Jan 31, 2013 5:30 PM

As a Browns fan who has been terrorized by T-Sizzle for a decade, I must applaud his progressive attitude.

2. ducksouped says: Jan 31, 2013 5:31 PM

Smartest thing he’s ever said

3. brettfavresmidget says: Jan 31, 2013 5:31 PM

Someone should ask Matt Birk if he agrees with Suggs.

4. ttommytom says: Jan 31, 2013 5:32 PM

Odds are you already have three.

Too bad any of this matters. At least Suggs and Ayanbadejo are talking some common sense …

5. DubZ480 says: Jan 31, 2013 5:33 PM

T-Sizzle doesn’t often articulate a good point, on this occasion he has!

Well Said!

6. 2difshoe says: Jan 31, 2013 5:33 PM

Ahhhh….Brandon Ayanbadejo….HELLO !

7. footballer87 says: Jan 31, 2013 5:34 PM

I wonder how that gay player would feel with Matt Birk openly campaigning against gay marriage.

8. eigglesnosuperbowls says: Jan 31, 2013 5:34 PM

I think they already have in Ray Ray !

9. southsidegroovin281 says: Jan 31, 2013 5:34 PM

Stop it with all this gay talk/questions already.

10. azarkhan says: Jan 31, 2013 5:34 PM

I thought they already had one.

11. seananagan says: Jan 31, 2013 5:34 PM

Let the “Lamar Hunt Trophy presentation” jokes commence …

12. Pimpin' aint easy unless you are Chuck Norris says: Jan 31, 2013 5:34 PM

13. 2difshoe says: Jan 31, 2013 5:35 PM

Can you say…Brendon AYANBADEJO!

14. ravenator says: Jan 31, 2013 5:35 PM

What a great organization. Accepting of all.

15. theysone says: Jan 31, 2013 5:35 PM

Really? Ray Lewis, the preaching madman wouldn’t care? I find that hard to believe.

16. hodaghunter says: Jan 31, 2013 5:35 PM

I think at this point we can all agree that Baltimore has at least one teammate that is “gay.” When Suggs says, “we know who you are” that pretty much triggers and tells me that the team knows about it.
    Given the open attitude about it I would suspect it is a starter too…

17. westclaims says: Jan 31, 2013 5:36 PM

Funny, you took my post down, but I saw several people got a laugh out of it before you did it. Too funny.

18. rhf123 says: Jan 31, 2013 5:36 PM

Well said sir.

19. bucrightoff says: Jan 31, 2013 5:36 PM

I’m not saying he’s lying, but did anyone really expect him to come out and support Culliver?

20. axltcu says: Jan 31, 2013 5:37 PM

“That one guy on the other team said something everyone disliked so I’m going to say the opposite so everyone will like me.”

21. skinssweepgmen says: Jan 31, 2013 5:37 PM

Right on, Terrell – “have fun and stay loose.”

22. tcoeguy says: Jan 31, 2013 5:38 PM

Why is this question even asked? Whoever asked such a stupid/pointless question should have their press pass taken away.

23. trollaikman8 says: Jan 31, 2013 5:39 PM

Suggs making sense. Wow.

24. js39 says: Jan 31, 2013 5:40 PM

Sick of all this talk, they’re always in the spot light… When will the straight men and women get some recognition

25. Stiller43 says: Jan 31, 2013 5:40 PM

Boy..calling out NE for what they are, and now this?!

Quit making me root for you, sizzle!

26. RavenzGunnerz says: Jan 31, 2013 5:41 PM

Hummm…

A team from San Francisco does not welcome gay people.

A team from Baltimore welcomes gay people…

27. natigator says: Jan 31, 2013 5:42 PM

They must be getting ready to draft Te’o

28. it's all bs says: Jan 31, 2013 5:43 PM

Never thought I’d say this but I Love me some Suggs right now!!!

29. tennis22drew says: Jan 31, 2013 5:44 PM

“Whatever a person’s choice is, it’s their choice”

Don’t forget, they say its not a choice

30. oxfordblue06 says: Jan 31, 2013 5:44 PM

Ball So Hard…

31. clownsfan says: Jan 31, 2013 5:46 PM

With the 31st pick in rnd 1 of the 2013 NFL Draft the Baltimore Ravens select……..Manti Te’o LB Notre Dame!

Be careful what you wish for Mr. Suggs

32. lionbloodwinning says: Jan 31, 2013 5:46 PM

33. jbaxt says: Jan 31, 2013 5:48 PM

Silly me, hoping men’s sports could keep the gay fad away.

34. Nofoolnodrool says: Jan 31, 2013 5:49 PM

ravenator says:
    Jan 31, 2013 5:35 PM
    What a great organization. Accepting of all.

0 0 Yup a murderer, an abuser, a gay hater(Birk), a head hunter Pollard, a drug cheat Ray….everyone wants to model their team after the Ravens

35. higgy1 says: Jan 31, 2013 5:49 PM

I will be so glad when this game is over !!

36. chattanola says: Jan 31, 2013 5:51 PM

Suggs was smart enough to learn from Culliver’s mistake. But notice “We don’t really care TOO MUCH about that.”

37. billsfan1 says: Jan 31, 2013 5:53 PM

WHo wouldnt want Tom Brady on their team?

38. blackandblue123 says: Jan 31, 2013 5:54 PM

What else is anyone going say after Chris Culliver gave an honest answer and is getting crucified for it! Poeple in the press complain when most athletes give generic “blah blah blah” answers to all their stupid ass questions but when somebody gives them more than that they pounce like a bunch of jackals. Give this kid a break, he is entitled to an opinion.

39. dolfanatik says: Jan 31, 2013 5:55 PM

To lay with a Man like you lay with a woman is an abomination. God said that. So if anyone is for it or accepting is against God.

40. 88ibis says: Jan 31, 2013 5:59 PM

Kudos to Terrell Suggs, but I seriously doubt absolutely everyone on the Ravens would be supportive. Gallop polls says 1/3 of Americans are opposed to any kind of rights or equality for LGBT Americans. That’s 17 or 18 Ravens players that wouldn’t like it. It would be nice to think that NFL players are more open minded than the rest of the country, but it seems pretty unlikely.

41. ranger764 says: Jan 31, 2013 5:59 PM

“I’m trying to understand why the gay agenda is being shoved in everyone’s faces. I denounce any comparison between this and the color of your skin. being black was bot and wil not every be a choice. this thing here though…falls under sexual preferences. when you show me unequivocal proof that the “born this way” theory is correct…I will both eat my hat…AND…show you a naturally florescent green dog.”

Lionblood, did you choose to be straight?

42. 2difshoe says: Jan 31, 2013 5:59 PM

Pimpin’ aint easy unless you are Chuck Norris says:
    Jan 31, 2013 5:34 PM
    The way Ayenbedejo is constantly thumping his gay marriage stuff, I am pretty sure T Sizzle already has a gay team mate, just saying.

==========================================

Agree…all you have to do is check out Brendon’s
    eyebrows.

43. Deb says: Jan 31, 2013 6:00 PM

theysone says:

————————————————-
    Why? The Bible teaches against premarital and extra-marital sex. Do you think Lewis refuses to interact with teammates who violate those teachings? Not all people of faith spend their time focusing on others’ sex lives. Some of us are more concerned with just treating others–regardless of race, religion, national origin, or sexual orientation–as we want to be treated.

44. hollywood26 says: Jan 31, 2013 6:03 PM

I think anyone who says someone CHOOSES to be gay must also assume people choose to be straight. Which would mean they COULD. Be gay but choose not to

The fact is NFL locker rooms are different. People don’t agree but they coexist. I don’t think he is saying everyone would love playing with a gay player but rather that they don’t ostracize people because everyone in their locker room is different and they accept that.

45. bluelifer says: Jan 31, 2013 6:03 PM

The moment this nation started accepting what has been considered morally wrong forever was the start of its downfall .may god be with us all .

46. cameltoehoe says: Jan 31, 2013 6:04 PM

Welcome him into his arse!

47. pftb1ows says: Jan 31, 2013 6:09 PM

footballer87 says:Jan 31, 2013 5:34 PM

——————————–

So what? He has just as much a right to disapprove of gay marriage as someone else has to approve of it.

48. aspirean says: Jan 31, 2013 6:12 PM

“And I’m not going to get into the depth of what was said, but from that point on it lit a different type of fire under us.”

Cliche Hater: First murder, then drugs, now arson!!! This guy should be euthanized!

49. doylemcmuffin says: Jan 31, 2013 6:13 PM

Doesn’t he know that Joe Flacco is already on his team?

50. hinksonri says: Jan 31, 2013 6:16 PM

Suggs is a gay teammate!

51. dryzzt23 says: Jan 31, 2013 6:21 PM

Showers – I’m sure that Suggs & Co. will change their tune when the gay player walks into a shower full of naked football players.

Birk is FREE to voice his own opinion, as is anyone who advocates for gays…Birk should NOT be vilified b/c his opinion isn’t “politically correct”.
    If your state wants gay marriage and mine doesn’t, and a gay person wants to get married in my state….then he/she/it can move to another state. THAT is the beauty of this union of individual states, they can enact laws that they want regardless of what other states think.

52. psuravens19 says: Jan 31, 2013 6:21 PM

Suggs is actually a pretty intelligent guy… haters just need to take the blinders off.

53. losangelesravens says: Jan 31, 2013 6:22 PM

lionsblood:

————————
    I’m sorry. I honestly don’t remember the day I “chose” who I am attracted to. You’d think I would because that was also the day I “chose” to live a life of hiding who I am from my family, friends, and every new person I meet in my life because of people like you. Some decision I’ve made for myself…

54. jbkjcm123456 says: Jan 31, 2013 6:27 PM

So much for free press … free blogging

55. catquick says: Jan 31, 2013 6:29 PM

Matt Birk following his faith isn’t “hatred” in any way, shape or form. Calling him a hater for it is true bigotry. Faith is so often attacked on this site people think it’s perfectly OK to be a bigot toward them, site monitors included.

56. dryzzt23 says: Jan 31, 2013 6:29 PM

The media has opinions about everything yet THEY don’t get fried for it. I applaud Culliver for voicing his opinion, same goes for Phil Mickelson & Tiger Woods.
    Gays, etc have the same rights that everyone else has, but they want “special” right just for themselves. THAT is what angers people, blacks already have whole sets of laws just to favor them, now gays want the same treatment. I am wholly against special treatment for any group except for Native Americans.

57. surly1n1nd1anapol1s says: Jan 31, 2013 6:31 PM

How about a felon?

58. rukkus1 says: Jan 31, 2013 6:31 PM

We already know, you guys have gay lewis who acts like a flamer on the 50 yard line crying and dancing.

59. hehateme30 says: Jan 31, 2013 6:38 PM

Of course he would. Terrell wears lipstick.

60. dannythebisforbeast says: Jan 31, 2013 6:47 PM

Yea ok. Then when his boyfriend comes up and kisses him after a big win. You still cool with it? I highly doubt it

61. boobsmcgoo says: Jan 31, 2013 6:52 PM

1. Suggs suggests it’s a choice. Funny.

2. Birk’s disapproval of gay marriage is not hatred of gays.

3. I would love for any team’s biggest, baddest player to come out and dare any of his teammates to say peep about it.

62. itsfootballbaby says: Jan 31, 2013 6:53 PM

Apparently Sizz got the memo.

63. joe2jerry says: Jan 31, 2013 7:00 PM

I applaud Suggs for saying this. He has once again given us reason to forget we love the NFL and are excited about the Super Bowl. After all, football just needed a little gay rights to make it more interesting!

Ps.
    If you’re “born with it” it would have to be genetic. So if there is a gay gene it would have to be a recessive gene like blue eyes or red hair. If its a recessive gene it needs a male and female to pass it along or it would eventually find its way out of the gene pool due to the inability of gay people to procreate before reproductive procedures like artificial insemination. Logically it can’t work.

64. jbkjcm123456 says: Jan 31, 2013 7:03 PM

America

65. ravenator says: Jan 31, 2013 7:05 PM

How cute are these steeler comments. Theyre trying so hard to let the world know they still exist.

66. mrlynch33 says: Jan 31, 2013 7:07 PM

He’s only saying that because of what culliver said. But I don’t doubt that Ray Lewis would welcome a gay teammate….we all know about them preachers and their preferences.
    P.S. Ray Lewis is the worst teammate in history. Way to put the national spotlight only on you and not “the Ravens”. Wonder if he’ll cry during the national anthem again and work towards his next career…Acting. Clearly he is terrible but I’m sure he’ll make it to a sy-fy movie or two.

67. tfbuckfutter says: Jan 31, 2013 7:07 PM

THIS is exactly why people like Brendon Ayanbadejo and Chris Kluwe are so important to the gay rights movement.

People not afraid to be vocal about an issue that doesn’t necessarily impact them personally. I’m not gay, and only know a few gay people none of whom I consider “close”….but I know right from wrong and actively support their cause, and any cause that opposes repressing a minority group (whether I am a part of that group or not).

68. thegreatgabbert says: Jan 31, 2013 7:08 PM

Ravens just want to “have fun and stay loose”. That meshes perfectly with with a gay lifestyle.

69. jbkjcm123456 says: Jan 31, 2013 7:08 PM

God is good … you going to take that away WordPress?

70. noring4youstill says: Jan 31, 2013 7:09 PM

With lips like that

71. jbkjcm123456 says: Jan 31, 2013 7:12 PM

The truth will set you and me free … just doing you a favor.

72. ace8842 says: Jan 31, 2013 7:13 PM

I don’t think there is any reason to be mean to a gay teammate, unless he becomes a distraction and makes an issue out of everything. Gay marriage, however, is a whole different story, and I would hope more players are against it than are for it.

73. paulz624 says: Jan 31, 2013 7:19 PM

Suggs already has a gay teammate (Ayanbadejo)

74. bmosh99 says: Jan 31, 2013 7:26 PM

I miss the days when the Super Bowl was about a football game

75. mossnvick says: Jan 31, 2013 7:32 PM

as long as one says what is politically correct we are fine why even ask the questions just print the politically correct and acceptable answers the media stinks

76. mediasloppy says: Jan 31, 2013 7:37 PM

js39 says:
    Jan 31, 2013 5:40 PM

—————
    they do. It’s called 24/7

77. Slackmo says: Jan 31, 2013 7:38 PM

Bravo on all the gay NFL news!

78. goodellisruiningtheleague says: Jan 31, 2013 7:39 PM

This has what to do with the super bowl again?

79. nflfanassociation says: Jan 31, 2013 7:42 PM

I like my football like a bar. Free of politics and religion.

80. raiderbeliever says: Jan 31, 2013 7:43 PM

LOL!

Playin’ his cards carefully only because the politically correct gun is aimed at the 9′ers as their opps in the SB thanks to Culliver who should’ve NEVER apologized.

Other than that he’d keep his mouth shut about this particular subject.

81. woodsidegil says: Jan 31, 2013 7:53 PM

Putting aside our opinions one way or another of a gay athlete, I wonder what the results would be if the players participated in a survey asking them how they felt about a gay teammate if the survey was anonymous?

82. smcgaels1997 says: Jan 31, 2013 8:04 PM

Enough of this..another BS ploy by Suggs

83. questforthesixthnotthelast2013 says: Jan 31, 2013 8:12 PM

Im laughin at the photo choice. Classic Suggs!
    Im not sure they are aware of the pounding they are about to recieve.
    i dont see the niners laying down in front of the goal line this game!!
    they did alot of that this year, this whole season was planned that way. So go back to your rooms, they’ll call for you on sunday!!! Talkin smack like you gonna hunt some rabbits, hhahahaaha

84. peytonsneck18 says: Jan 31, 2013 8:14 PM

the redskins have one already, IR-Knee3

85. dlmcc1010 says: Jan 31, 2013 8:15 PM

Why do we even talk about this? Odds are some of these guys are gay. Just play the percentages. It shouldnt matter and shouldnt even need to be spoken about. I happen to be heterosexual and nothing to me is more beautiful than a woman. But if some guy happens to think that way about other men, more power to him. As long as he isnt breaking any laws then I dont know why we stilll see articles on this stuff

86. steelbydesign says: Jan 31, 2013 8:17 PM

JESUS CHRIST CAN WE TALK ABOUT SOME FOOTBALL?!?!?

I have no issue with any lifestyle someone else chooses to live as long as it’s not hurting others. Let it go.

87. whodeydaytonchapter says: Jan 31, 2013 8:21 PM

who give a S. Media Day brings out all the pedestrian non football fans and their agenda in the back pocket media.

88. steelcurtainn says: Jan 31, 2013 8:21 PM

I have a feeling this guys hiding something back.

89. beeroncos says: Jan 31, 2013 8:33 PM

The christian bible was written by folks who didn’t like gay folks. That’s why bibles are written. Iron-fist the masses with your ideas, hangups and prejudice.

Throw some magic and otherworldlyness into the mix to generate awe and even a healthy dose of fear byproduct and BAM, you have the vast majority of religion covered.

It’s pretty sad that this day and age that there is so much intolerance and bigotry around… even these entitled man-children athletes should have been taught better…

90. christopher525 says: Jan 31, 2013 8:36 PM

So, they’re planning to draft Manti Te’o?

91. patssteelersorgiants says: Jan 31, 2013 8:50 PM

“Te’o, this is Sluggsie Sizzle, let’s get lockers next to each other!”

92. gd200799 says: Jan 31, 2013 9:05 PM

@ dolfanatik please what u said is absolutely ridiculous… Why should people have to abide by the rules of the bible for only certain things, but for other things like cheating and divorce they can get a pass?

93. ciroc2323 says: Jan 31, 2013 10:10 PM

Matt Birk the Harvard educated Center for the Ravens has been a long time advocate of traditional values and he plays on the same team as a guy who worships and espouses all things deviant. I’m guessing Culliver was brought before the PC police and told he has no right to an opinion especially playing for a team that represents the gayest city in the world. Sorry Chris, when you sign that contract your every thought and deed becomes the property of the NFL and franchise owner even if you are espousing what 99.99 % of all players and fans agree with.

94. cheapshotyouth says: Jan 31, 2013 10:45 PM

I really do hope that everyone realizes that this America and everyone has their right to an opinion. It is a democracy and i don’t understand why you would happen to think that Suggs and Birk would hate each other over an issue they disagree on.

95. mjkelly77 says: Jan 31, 2013 10:59 PM

Suggs said the Ravens’ locker room is a welcoming environment.
    ________________________

So jim hairbough is welcome?

96. rubicon202 says: Feb 1, 2013 5:40 AM

I remember when ur sexuality was between you and you. Those days are long gone huh?

97. steeelfann says: Feb 1, 2013 8:11 AM

So, basically, you can say that about anything. In your eyes, nothing is wrong if it is what you like? Is that it? And what does tolerance really mean? Nobody is advocating stoning people that are attracted to the same sex and act it out? I think people are tolerant. But they don’t agree with it and thing is is wrong. But they are tolerant. Maybe Christians thing you are intolerant of their beliefs? Eh?
    ——————–
    beeroncos says: Jan 31, 2013 8:33 PM

98. steelers2223 says: Feb 1, 2013 9:13 AM

I agree with his comments, shouldn’t be an issue. You are there to do a job.

Although, on a side note that’s way too articulate to be his actual words.

99. kennypowersays says: Feb 1, 2013 11:29 AM

“Whatever a person’s choice is, it’s their choice.”

As polite as that sounds, it is still said with ignorance on the subject.

Not a choice Mr. Suggs.

100. pef12 says: Feb 1, 2013 1:17 PM

The two worst media prepared teams in the NFL -When people praise T-Fizzel, you know it’s bad….. Best Superbowl line is from Bedard referring to Ray Lewis’ “Nubs of Shame”

101. steelerben says: Feb 1, 2013 2:09 PM

At the end of the day, shouldn’t it matter if a dude can play ball or not? Who cares who he has sex with in his own time? The goal is to win championship rings and if you have someone that can help you do that then it is stupid not to welcome them as a teammate.

And for the “Christians” justifying things with passages from Leviticus, please give me a reasoned argument that doesn’t invoke a faith that I don’t share. Which actually IS a choice.