DeSean Jackson says he’ll be the Eagles’ De’Anthony Thomas

Desean+Jackson+Philadelphia+Eagles+v+Arizona+eTqyX60p_xUl Getty Images

Eagles wide receiver DeSean Jackson says that he’s 98 percent recovered from the rib injury that brought his 2012 season to a premature end and he sounds excited about getting to work with new coach Chip Kelly.

That’s no surprise given Kelly’s reputation as an offensive innovator. Jackson said he has spoken to Kelly about his role in the offense and Kelly told him that he plans to use Jackson in a similar way that he used one of his most versatile stars at the University of Oregon.

“Kind of similar to what De’Anthony Thomas was doing at Oregon. He’s like a little brother to me. I actually talked to him,” Jackson said, via Jeff McLane of the Philadelphia Inquirer. “He was passing on information to me, like I’m going to be pumped up and psyched to be in that offense. It just keeps defenses off guard any time you go in motion, fake play-action, go down the field. There’s just so many things you can do.”

Thomas is listed as a running back at Oregon, but he has made his presence felt in a variety of ways. He’s run for 1,296 yards, caught 91 passes for 1,050 yards and excelled as a returner of both punts and kickoffs. When you put it all together, Thomas has scored 36 touchdowns in two years with the Ducks. He’s 5-9 and 173 pounds, very similar to Jackson’s dimensions, and his role as a focal point of the offense makes it easy to understand why Jackson’s excited about working with Kelly.

Permalink 39 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
39 Responses to “DeSean Jackson says he’ll be the Eagles’ De’Anthony Thomas”
  1. dannythebisforbeast says: Feb 1, 2013 5:08 PM

Guess you’ll want a new contract to do all that huh.

2. supremekingz says: Feb 1, 2013 5:12 PM

Too bad Desean Jackson isn’t smart enough to slow doen when running across the middle and sitting tight in a zone. Instead he runs full speed 100% of the time and gets knocked out.

Desean Jackson is a good player and a deep threat no doubt. But there’s more to being receiver than running fast. This guys skill set is completely useless in the red zone, and he has absolutely NO jumping skills, or beat press ability. Forget about him running across the middle.

I don’t think that offense will work well in the NFL. It will be feast or famine. Either 50 points a game, or a hellova lot of 3 and outs like the Patriots against the 49ers (1st half)

3. elmaxoh says: Feb 1, 2013 5:12 PM

I just watched the interview … He never said that he will be the Eagles’ DeAnthony Thomas …

4. bdawk20 says: Feb 1, 2013 5:16 PM

Tell you what, I don’t know if the Chip Kelly thing pans out, but I will not fault Lurie and Roseman for hiring him. It’s nice to have some new blood in the city and to now know what to expect next season. With Andy, you know what you were getting after years and years of mind-numbing coaching/personnel/player gaffes at the most inopportune times.

5. Distinguished Male says: Feb 1, 2013 5:16 PM

“He’s like a little brother to me. I actually talked to him,”

How come that second sentence by Jackson makes me question the validity of the first sentence?

It’s like, oh my gawd we’re so close we’ve exchanged words! Practically family, bruh.

6. cardslifer says: Feb 1, 2013 5:17 PM

I have a question for someone who has some sort of idea what their talking about.

7. aneaglesfan says: Feb 1, 2013 5:25 PM

Honestly I think this will be the last season for Desean in eagles green. In a previous interview (while at Oregon) he has said that if a WR will not block he wont get playing time. I see the likes of Jeremy Maclin, Riley Copper, and Damarus Johnson maybe Marvin McNutt (need to see more from him to be sure) making it longer then Desean will in this offense. I don’t see Chip Kelly changing his opinion or what his prototype for a WR needs to be for Desean.

8. bringithome6 says: Feb 1, 2013 5:25 PM

Hope So

Go Eagles

9. patssteelersorgiants says: Feb 1, 2013 5:25 PM

He didn’t say it, and I don’t see an NFL WR rushing for 1300 yards either.

10. ravensallday2012 says: Feb 1, 2013 5:36 PM

Lol what’s this gonna be the 53rd championship less season

11. fuglyflorio says: Feb 1, 2013 5:39 PM

Superbowl. Guaranteed.

12. fearthehoody says: Feb 1, 2013 5:42 PM

Funny, Ryan Mallet told Belichick he would be his Bernie Kosar. Hmmm

13. jon175 says: Feb 1, 2013 5:49 PM

no matter what he says he is a jerk off

14. bobonmycob says: Feb 1, 2013 6:02 PM

supremekingz says:Feb 1, 2013 5:12 PM

That’s what I don’t like about you know-it-all fan types. “Chip Kellys offense will not work in the NFL”. Oh yeah? a pro sports team wouldnt pay a man 36 million dollars for a failed system. Do you even use your brain when you talk or do your fingers just move and type? Seriously… If you dont think the Eagles had great football minds check into and approve of Chip Kelly and the type of offense he runs before they gave him millions of dollars then you are on drugs.

15. eigglesnosuperbowls says: Feb 1, 2013 6:03 PM

The Chip kool-aid runneth a muck ! A pro saying he will play like an college player ,,,,,,,this is getting weirdo !

16. fuglyflorio says: Feb 1, 2013 6:05 PM

“If the Rams wanted to pick up Cruz and they have 2 first round picks, do they get to send whatever pick they want, or do they have to send their better pick?”

I believe it’s their own pick … wherever they slot in the draft order. However if they (say) traded theirs and still had 2 from other teams/deals … then I have no idea how that works.

17. musicman495 says: Feb 1, 2013 6:09 PM

First time I have ever heard of a pro player aspiring to be a college player. Perhaps he should be striving to be the Eagles Adrian Peterson or Marshall Faulk instead.

18. oldbyrd says: Feb 1, 2013 6:25 PM

Gotta put him a position to make plays…..ever hear that before?

19. dezolationangel says: Feb 1, 2013 6:44 PM

In the end he’ll still be……Desean Jackson! A pouter who gives up on a play at the first sign of contact.

20. EJ says: Feb 1, 2013 7:00 PM

I can see Kelly’s Offense being super-high powered with Vick and Jackson behind roles that actually suit their style of play. I know Andy Reid is no slouch, but he really didn’t know how to keep Vick effective. Same goes for Jackson.

21. 4getu says: Feb 1, 2013 7:04 PM

22. trojan33sc says: Feb 1, 2013 7:10 PM

Just waiting for the great Chip Kelley experiment to blow up so he can go back to the college ranks and coach my Trojans ! Lane Kitten must Go !!!

23. somekat says: Feb 1, 2013 7:44 PM

Distinguished Male says:
    Feb 1, 2013 5:16 PM
    “He’s like a little brother to me. I actually talked to him,”

================================

Do you really have that little reading comprehension? A comma means, after the author makes his comment, the quote continues. “I actually talked to him, (notice the comma) he was passing on information to me…..”

Learn to comprehend what you are reading, or shut up

24. csilojohnson says: Feb 1, 2013 8:27 PM

bobonmycob, no sir you are the idiot. If what you are implying was true. There wouldn’t be multiple coach firings every off season. To have such absolute faith in the competence of someone who you don’t know personally is niave. Extremely. There is nothing more pitiful then someone who takes time out of thier day insult someone over a comment thier pea sized brain couldn’t comprehend. Next time get your mom to explain to you what you are reading before you make a fool out of yourself again.

25. jwilliamsspf says: Feb 1, 2013 8:55 PM

I didn’t know Oregon’s Thomas had a rep as an overpaid, injury prone, showboat. In that regards, I guess they could be the same.

26. dawglb says: Feb 1, 2013 8:59 PM

….and if they are not successful immediately, D-Jax will pout and be a cancer in the locker room.

27. birdbrainsnj says: Feb 1, 2013 9:32 PM

People talk like Vick will be here. He’s gone!! Get over it!!

28. sowcrates says: Feb 1, 2013 11:49 PM

It bothers me that DeSean has never been on pace for more than 70 catches in a season. If it weren’t for health incidents that occurred both on and off the field, I believe Jeremy maclin would be the WR we’d think of first in Phily. The YPC is reputable on Jackson, but he’s not brought anything different to the table compares to where he was as a player his rookie year.

29. fbwangus8736 says: Feb 2, 2013 12:18 AM

bobonmycob says:
    Feb 1, 2013 6:02 PM
    supremekingz says:Feb 1, 2013 5:12 PM

That’s what I don’t like about you know-it-all fan types. “Chip Kellys offense will not work in the NFL”. Oh yeah? a pro sports team wouldnt pay a man 36 million dollars for a failed system. Do you even use your brain when you talk or do your fingers just move and type? Seriously… If you dont think the Eagles had great football minds check into and approve of Chip Kelly and the type of offense he runs before they gave him millions of dollars then you are on drugs!

Go ask the Skins how that worked once upon a time hiring the Old Ball Coach Steve Spurrier!

30. dabmasterhap says: Feb 2, 2013 1:37 AM

I look forward to see this fail miserably…

31. bsmvideos says: Feb 2, 2013 6:43 AM

Desean Jackson is a selfish Underweight bum, who looks for the first open patch of grass to fall down, after a catch. He refused to honor his 1st contract, with a lackluster effort, including dropping TD passes and not even trying to catch passes over the middle.

He has not gained a pound since entering the NFL. He has done nothing to get better, but demanded more money.

Get his underweight behind off the Eagles. The Chicago Bears scouting report said the Eagles had the fastest, softest receivers in the NFL. Just push them around a little bit and the fall to the ground. Especially Maclin. Then the backed it up by smacking around the Eagle WRs and beating them 3 years in a row.

Desean Jackson stinks.

32. kleahy82486 says: Feb 2, 2013 7:48 AM

csilojohnson, so its naive to have faith but not naive to have 100 percent doubt. Then you call out someone else for insulting you online then proceed to do the same thing you are a moron.

33. madtownthrowdown says: Feb 2, 2013 8:15 AM

If Jackson played like Thomas, he would last a total of 6 plays. Dude gets hurt running Fly routes straight down the sidelines. How’s he going to get hit more then 3 times a game? He’d have a concussion 6 seconds into the first game of the season.

34. joebloww says: Feb 2, 2013 9:11 AM

I like it when he celebrates TD’s at the two yard line. Let’s see more of that.

35. blackcatnfl says: Feb 2, 2013 9:44 AM

He’ll be the Eagles next WHO????

36. nickynick04 says: Feb 2, 2013 10:07 AM

SUPER BOWL BABY,,,,,did I read that a few comments ago….O M G….Eagle fans are amazing….based on what will take them to the Super Bowl

37. paulz624 says: Feb 2, 2013 11:44 AM

For all you fantasy people out there, don’t pass on Desean this year, he’s gonna put up crazy numbers with this new head coach.

38. dallascowboysdishingthereal says: Feb 2, 2013 2:23 PM

4getu said, Seriously? How dumb can some of you be? He’s not striving to be like a college player, he’s just excited to do be in a fast paced and exciting offense, that’s all. Stop twisting people’s words to make your stupid point

What a surprise to see 4getu on here attacking those who aren’t jumping on the Eagles, Chip Kelly bandwagon. Get over yourself.

39. dallascowboysdishingthereal says: May 16, 2013 10:21 PM

@bobonmycob

Not everyone has drunk the Chip Kelly koolaid slushies. The Duck Dynasty will be a joke and yes they wasted a lot of money.

And please get a real name for a sports site or go back over to those ‘bobonmycob’ sites and lie about your age, looks, and cob-size.

clown it sux2bu